Start by marking “Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts #1)” as Want to Read:
Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts #1)

Arctic Sun

(Frozen Hearts #1)

“Sexy, sensitive, smart, and thoroughly researched, Annabeth Albert’s gay romances have rocketed to the top of my to-be-read pile. I’ve fallen as hard for her books as her heroes fall for each other.”

—Christopher Rice, New York Times bestselling author of A Density of Souls and the Burning Girl Series

He’s built a quiet life for himself in Alaska. But it doesn’t stand a cha
ebook
Published April 1st 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Arctic Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic Sun

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Ugh, I hate, hate, hate giving middling/bad ratings to authors I adore, and I adore Annabeth Albert. I've read 23 of her books (holy hell), and I'm a huge, huge supporter of her work. That being said, I struggled with Arctic Sun.

I'm going on vacation to Alaska this summer, so I was really excited to read a book that involved the Alaskan wilderness and romance. I spent a good portion of the story trying to convince myself that I liked it... but I didn't. I felt that the Alaska details were nice,
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

Something about this book spoke to me. The descriptions of the setting made Alaska come alive. It wasn't all snow and ice. It was sweeping vistas, wildlife, and log cabins. There was a focus on photography and family.

Griffin has a wonderful relationship with his mom and uncle. He tries to do right by them, even as he's battling his own demons. When his injured uncle asks Griffin to do a photography tour in his place, Griffin wants to say no. He's not a people person. He likes to fly alone.
Dia
3,5 stars

This book wasn't what I expected. But I ended enjoying it. It has a sadness vibe. Or at least this is how it felt to me.

It's the first book in the Frozen Hearts series by Annabeth Albert.

For some reasons I couldn't quite connect to the characters. At first I thought it had something to do with Griffin's determination to keep his distance from everyone. But after meeting the beautiful ex model River, he was even harder to approach. It's such a slow - slow burning.

We get great descrip
Lost in a Book
2 Stars

I chose this book because I love stories with wilderness settings. Some of my favorites take place in the Alaskan Wild and therefore I was all in. Arctic Sun is less about living in the wild and more about sight seeing. Throw in a “romance” with the sightseeing and that’s the book.

yawn2.gif

Griffin is a recovering addict living in Alaska. He flies bush planes for his family’s tourism company and isolates himself to avoid temptation of anything else. Griffin has to step up and take a tourism group o
Adam

I wanted to love ‘Arctic Sun’. I thought I’d love it. It’s a perfectly fine read with well-rounded characters, angst, and the beginning of a happy ever after. However, it just didn’t resonate with me.

‘Arctic Sun’ introduces readers to two complex MCs - cranky mountain man Griffin Barrett and former supermodel River Vale. The two men are very different, yet find common ground.

Both men have not-so-perfect histories. And they’ve paid their dues. Griffin’s a recovering alcoholic and River s
Wendy
3,5

I think this was a nice enough read,  I am gonna be honest though and say that wasn't completely blown away. Its the first book in a new series though, so I hope that the stories will keep getting better and better... It did make me want to take a nice long vacation to Alaska ;)

alaska wilderness gif - Google zoeken

Both of the MC's struggle with some serious issues, which sets a bit of a serious tone right from the beginning.

Griffin is a bit of a lone wolf, but when his uncle needs his help he feels like he has to step up...which h
Ky
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, arc, read-2019
I've always found Alaska fascinating and its landscapes captivating. "Arctic Sun" is not just a romance story set over there. It's an adventure interwoven with that place. It takes place in Alaska and the setting isn't interchangeable because it's a huge part of the story. The characters are outdoor types and travel all over by any means they can. This book isn't just a story about two people finding each other, it's a story about Alaska and its wild beauty.

Griffin is a local, he served in Air F
Ele
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Undoubtedly, the star of this book is the scenery. It’s almost like a third main character. The descriptions of Alaska and its people, and the varied, stunning landscape are breathtaking.

This book addresses serious issues like addiction and eating disorders. Griffin is an army veteran and a recovering alcoholic. River left modeling but still struggles with his body image and his eating disorder. It’s an ongoing battle for both characters but strangely, I didn’t find it overwhelming. On the contr
.Lili.
Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, april-19
DNF 38%

I can't believe I DNFed an Annabeth Albert book. :(

The pace felt really sloooow, and I wasn't feeling much chemistry between the MCs.

No rating.

++I still have crazy love for this author and remains a favorite of mine. ++
Cadiva
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

Full review tomorrow when I'm at the laptop.

I am so torn over just what I think about this book because: A) Annabeth is one of my favourite authors and B) I actually loved a lot of this book.

But, for me at any rate, it seemed to take forever to actually get to the meat and bones of the story. My status update should explain a bit about how I felt, it seemed like I'd read almost a whole book but I was only at the half-way point.

Both characters are wonderfully expressed and both are dealing wi
Jennifer☠Pher☠
This was good. My parents just went to Alaska in June and they said it might be the most beautiful place they have ever seen. I believed them and this book just adds more proof.

I loved the setting of this book. Although I am sure words just can’t do the scenery justice I feel like the author did a great job of putting the reader in Alaska and providing a great visual with just using words on the page.

Addiction scares me in my books. I don’t think I realized this was a thing in this book but I fe
Denise H.
***** Healing hearts meet in Alaska. Griff is an Alaskan pilot/guide/photographer in a family business. He's a big mountain of a man who is a recovering alcoholic. Blue haired River is a world famous model/writer, taking a break from his world by going on this photographic hike. This lovely story is lyrical and explicit in it's words, so we get the vivid pics in our minds. We can feel their emotions, and we clearly can tell what each man is worried about, or what his desires are. Their role-pla ...more
Catherine
I loved this book. I loved this book because there was so much communication between the characters and it was a VERY refreshing change.
Sarah Meerkat
Arc review: contains spoilers and discussions of consent

Content warnings

Coercive behavior/dubious consent: no means yes and not listening repeatedly when someone says no. First 30% book
Abelism
Toxic masculinity
Disordered eating
Sobriety
Intrusive thoughts
Fetishizing of queer men by heros bff. Not called out verbally at all
Threats of violence
Gaslighting
On page grief related to death of loved ones including mother

Arctic Sun was something that should have been an immediate hit out of the park fo
Aarya Marsden
CW: eating disorder, alcoholism, discussion of near death due to disorder/alcoholism

I wanted to like this book because the premise and setting seemed up my alley, but I continuously grew frustrated with one protagonist's selfish actions and that ultimately ruined my belief in their HEA.

The Premise:

Griffin Barrett is an air force veteran who has moved back to Alaska to live near his family. His family heads up an Alaskan tourist/wilderness guide business. They lead wilderness trips for intereste
Denise - Shh Mom's Reading®
Arctic Sun by Annabeth Albert was book that grabbed my heart and would not let go!
I adored Griffin and River's journey to a happy neither ever imagine.
MUST CLICK https://amzn.to/2OefSxr

This story was so well done, attraction didn't solve anything and even love was not enough as each man needed to decide what makes them truly happy.

It made my heart happy that this story was not rushed.. the character development, the look at both sobriety and eating disorders were so well done... that I think th
Sahitya
I think this is a 3.5.

After having read and enjoyed multiple series by Annabeth Albert, it was exciting to get into her new series with a very different location this time. I think I went into this one with not many expectations and that definitely worked in my favor.

The thing that stands out for me in this book is the setting - Alaska. As Griffin is a tour guide and River is a tourist/ travel author, we get to see this beautiful place through their eyes and it was an amazing experience. The aut
Caz
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
B+ for narration, B for content, so 4.5 stars (ish).

Annabeth Albert’s Out of Uniform series put her on my “must read/listen” list, and I’ve picked up several of her backlist titles in audio over the past few weeks while I waited for the first in her new Frozen Hearts series, set in the wilds of Alaska, to come out.  Arctic Sun is that book, and it tells the story of Griffin Barrett, who, after leaving the military, returned home to Alaska in search of peace, quiet and somewhere to put his pa
Em
I gave this a B- at All About Romance .

Sometimes, if I’m familiar with an author, I can overlook flaws in a story – especially if/when the author is trying something new; I’ll round up and qualify the recommendation to AAR readers with the reasons why. But that familiarity can be a problem when I can’t quite decide if the problems I have with a book are down to me or the story (or both!), and that’s what happened with Arctic Sun. Ultimately, I’ve decided it’s both – the pacing is off (the story
Rachel Emily
This book has a slow start, but just hang in there, because the last quarter of the book is just everything I love about Annabeth Albert's writing.

I loved the descriptive writing of Alaska and where Griff and his family live and work. I have never been to Alaska, but it was easy to imagine what they were seeing - and I'll have to bump Alaska a bit higher up on my want-to-visit list, because it does sound beautiful. Griff is a tour guide and pilot working for his family business, and trying to li
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Wow. I did not expect to like this book as much as I did, but I am super glad I read it. It's long, with a very slow burn romance. Neither man is looking for romance. In fact, neither s even looking for a hookup.

Both have addictive disorders that are painfully difficult to discuss and even more painfully difficult to admit out loud and seek help for. I respect the way the author approached both the alcoholism and the food addiction. In my mid career (I've have had 3) I worked as an addictions c
Annika
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review

3,5 stars rounded up because of the audio

Annabeth Albert and a brand new and shiny series?
- I'm so there. I couldn't wait to listen to this book.

I loved the idea of this book. Two lonely and dented men, still struggling with their respective issues, addiction and disorders. Neither of them were looking for that special someone, yet couldn't stay away from each other once they met. Set in the Alaskan wilderness was a definite bonus. In theory this should have really worked for
Apolishedreader
3.5 stars.

My nail art for this book

I really love how Albert handles the issues she gives her MCs. There is no magic D here. A relationship, some good lovin' or a big declaration are not the things that magically solve their problems, and I really appreciate that.
That being said, these guys both have a lot of backstory and it felt like the story had a lot packed into it while somehow not enough. The romance was slow burn, maybe so much so that it was more slow than burn. Their history was packed,
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***ARC courtesy of publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for a review***
Amanda
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
The setting of Arctic Sun is against the backdrop of the beautiful Alaska. Griffin is a recovering alcoholic and ex-military pilot who basically become a hermit while working for his family business. He hates socializing and try to keep to himself, but when his family needs him to take over a new tour, Griffin was force to step up and out of his comfort zone. That's when he met a blue hair celebrity-writer, River.

River is a total opposite from the gruff mountain man. River is an ex-supermodel t
Jay
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kebb, mm-romance
Two broken men, each a lost soul dealing with internal struggles; what will it take to breathe new life into them? Annabeth Albert takes us on their journey to happiness with Arctic Sun, the first in her new Frozen Hearts series.

Rugged and handsome Air Force Veteran Griffin Barrett is a loner trying to tame his demons the only way he knows how. He isolates himself to his close-knit family, while diving head first into his responsibilities at their tourism and transport company.

River Vale has hit
Joyfully Jay
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Arctic Sun is the first book in Annabeth Albert’s new Frozen Hearts series and this book is most definitely a love letter to the beauty of Alaska. The setting plays such a prominent role in the story, particularly during the tour portion of the book. Albert paint such lovely pictures as she describes the vast wilderness and beautiful, off-the-beaten path locations, I could see it all so clearly in my mind. I particularly liked how we get to see more remote spots
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Annabeth Albert returns with a new series sets in Alaska. The setting itself is enough to make me curious about it. And I though Albert was able to transport me into Alaska, at least for the first half of the book. I was so immersed with the description, I ended up Googling for an Alaska tour (it ended up WAY OVER my range of travel budget, coming from Indonesia *laugh*).

While the last third or so, Arctic Sun felt moving a bit too slow, but I LOVED how intimate this story
iam
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Lovely romance with much internal conflict set mostly in the Alaskan wilderness, featuring a former supermodel and a recultant photopgraphy tour guide.

Content warnings include: sex on-page, protagonists are recovering from an eating disorder and being an alcoholic; mentions of traumatic events in the air force and homophobia.

I loved the setup for this novel: a grumpy vet reluctantly takes on a photography tour through the Alaskan wilderness, with one client being an outgoing supermodel who is
Neil Plakcy
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Annabeth Albert, and I love this start to a new series, set in Alaska. She does a great job presenting the state's natural beauty, and the characters are deep and act in believable ways.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

Frozen Hearts (3 books)
  • Arctic Wild (Frozen Hearts #2)
  • Arctic Heat (Frozen Hearts, #3)