Start by marking “Cast in Oblivion” as Want to Read:
Cast in Oblivion

Cast in Oblivion

(Chronicles of Elantra #14)

POLITICS ARE HELL

Kaylin wasn’t sent to the West March to start a war. Her mission to bring back nine Barrani might do just that, though. She traveled with a Dragon, and her presence is perceived as an act of aggression in the extremely hostile world of Barrani-Dragon politics. Internal Barrani politics are no less deadly, and Kaylin has managed—barely—to help the rescued B
Published January 29th 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Cast in Oblivion, please sign up.
Taylor Nope! At minimum, we can look forward to several more books.

Nope! At minimum, we can look forward to several more books.

During a Reddit AMA during June of 2018, she stated the following: "My official stance on Elantra is: when I run out of books I want to write, I'll write the last one(s). At the moment, I want to do a Bellusdeo book and also a Fief Council book - but probably the Bellusdeo/Dragon Court book first. But... Cast in Peril/Sorrow were started as a 'Shadow Wolf' book, but - they really became about Teela. Which meant the cohort. Which meant my 'want to write this book' was shifted substantially because ...cohort >.>."

So, Sagara has at least two more books she would like to write, excluding the last one(s), that could potentially turn into more depending on where the stories lead and if she finds any more stories she would like to write. (less)

Linda
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

After reading fourteen books, I’m pretty well invested in this series. I love the world Sagara has built and have come to care about the characters who inhabit it. But...

This book suffers from the same problems as its predecessors, primarily too much talk about magic and not enough action. For about half the book (hundreds of pages!) Kaylin and the cohort work up to the dinner with the Consort (while talking about magic), then during the get-together talk more about magic, and afterward
Jeanny
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
Audible version.
I find Kailyn puerile, in all things if I’m honest. This book did little to assuage me of that feeling. I should disclose this isn’t a new feeling. I listened to the audible version of this book & although the narrator did well, through no fault of her own this book was a monotonous if not prosaic listen. However, the alternative is reading it myself & I’m sure the audible version is the better option. All that said, I’m invested in the world & find the secondary char
Gergana
WARNING! This rant is a personal opinion.
As you can see from my review on book 1 I wrote a few months ago, I'm a huge fan of the series, but that doesn't mean I don't get annoyed after 14 books. Back to the review:

Repetition - there was a lot of it. "It was the wrong kind of" repetition. To the point where we lose the identity of the character as they are all saying the same or similar sentences throughout the 14 books.

Infro dump - a lot. A lot of info dump. It made Gergana very mad. In all sen
Miss OP
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I hate everyone who reads this book before me!! :)
Ann
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you are fourteen books into a series, obviously, there is something that you like about the series and has kept you reading book after book. I am no exception. I love the overall premise and potential of the story. I like several of the characters. Kaylin, Nightshade, and Mandoran being my top three favorites. I find myself liking Hope and Spike a little bit more after this book, when previously I found the familiar very annoying. I also liked Evarrim, Ynpharion, and Emmerian in this one. T ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragon
So, I obviously like the series because I'm reading book #14, but much of the book felt like a very large info dump. We have stuff from the dragon court's background info on the Barrani. We have more from the Arkon. We get more from all the people in Kaylin's head.

Honestly, very little happens in most of the book.

Even though there's a lot of info dump, you definitely can't start here. This is all building on things you should already know and people you've already encountered. None of it would m
Suz
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio

The last quarter of this was quite good. Until then, however, it was kind of excruciating to get through. At about the halfway point I realized I felt like I was listening to an on-going info-dump being framed as an on-going mental masturbation exercise.

I also had a very difficult time figuring out which character was speaking and whether or not they were speaking out loud to everyone or mentally to one specific person, or several specific persons.

And yeah, I'm REALLY tired of an MC th
Soo
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
*Need to Review

Note: There were a few moments when I argued at the book. I know. It's silly. You can't argue with a book but I did. This series is one where I can safely say that I'll wait till the end to see how I feel.

Those parts where I argued with the book? I'll probably do it again the next time I read it but it doesn't matter because I finished. The book is what it is because I want to argue with it.
Louisa
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book! I just love this series so much! This book dived into another aspect of Barrani, with the test since the Cohort is taking it! So great, and I enjoyed it so much! Can't wait for the next book!
Marlene
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Things are like other things. The stories we’ve read in the past affect how we view the stories we read in the present. There was a point in Cast in Oblivion where one of the characters describes Ravellon as the spike that is holding all of the parallel worlds together and I had an OMG moment and realized that Ravellon might be Amber. In Roger Zelazny’s incredible epic/urban fantasy series, beginning with Nine Princes in Amber, Amber is the one true world a
eyes.2c
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library
Raw instinctual compassion!
Kaylin as always terrifies me even as I admire her woundness and the place her understandings come from. Very much like her various companions who also love her, even as she annoys the heck out of them.
This story continues the Barrani exiles search for their true names and in the doing of, opens up Pandora's box.
I do feel one needs to have read previous titles to fully appreciate Oblivion.
Thomas
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Have I really given this book four stars? Yes, yes I have and I mean it despite how frustrating it was, how frustrating this entire series is. Never have I had so much information about a fantasy world and its magical system hurled at me and yet been left me feeling so ignorant about how it all actually works. It’s deep and complex and wordy and opaque. Something about true names and runes and sigils, the need to fit them together or something.

Kaylin’s character arc is also frustrating. In fourt
T.J. Fox
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It pains me greatly to write this, but… I didn’t love this book. I have adored this series (and pretty much every single thing put out by this author) from the very beginning, but…

There really wasn’t anything new in this book. Kaylin does all the same kinds of things that Kaylin has always done. There really wasn’t any real growth for her in this book. That and like the last one, I don’t feel like I got enough of the other characters that I want to have page time, mostly Severn and Nightshade. W
Tchula Ripton
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This #14 installment of the Cast series delves deeply into Barrani politics, the "lost" children of the green, and the Test of Name that all Barrani Lords must pass. It is in no way the book for a new reader to join the series, as the first couple hundred pages are mostly exposition into the background of various Barrani lines and their relationships with the Consort and the High Lord, which would be very confusing without having read the earlier novels. Action doesn't truly begin to unfold unti ...more
Paraphrodite
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, listened
3.75 stars.

This was a pretty long book, even listening at 1x4 speed. To me, it was basically split into 3 parts. The first is Kaylin obsessing about the Consort's visit, the second is the visit and dinner itself and finally the battle.

It's been a while since I listened to the previous book, so it took some time to get all the players straight in my head again. It doesn't help that a lot of them have similar sounding names. With basically only 3 scenes, they did feel somewhat long. I understand
Cam
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A review mostly for those who are into the series--absolutely will not help anyone trying to decide to begin it.

I love this series, and patiently wait for each installment. It honestly doesn't matter what the subject is about, I truly mainline the audiobook--even losing sleep and avoiding work to finish it.

That said, though I have been waiting for the return to the lake of names and to see the cohort take the test of names, this was not the best of the series. It is very complicated--or I shou
Sue Dixon
Again, like some of the other reviews, I think there was too much talk and not enough action. I also want to note that Kaylin does NOT need to end up with either Severn or Lord Nightshade, she is fine on her own. Lord Nightshade is thousands of years older than she is and it strikes me his affection for a virtual baby to him is kinda creepy but he really loves her power. Severn quietly seems to have ended up in the friend zone. We will have to see what happens next.
Beth
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooh -- that definitely cleared a plot point. :)
Anita
This book was so hard to read! I read some of the passages out loud to others and they groaned, too - the writing is so tortured! I've read the whole series so far, and I know that the author has some major shortcomings in her writing style. She gets bogged down in conversations about what words do and mean, and what people mean when they use words to communicate. And these conversations go on FOREVER. It's like listening to a freshmen in philosophy class late at night who is trying to get into ...more
Peaceful BookWorm
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the book because we finally see sort of an end to problems for other characters which had disturbed Kaylin. There was a bit more character growth in Kaylin and somewhat less childish and/or tedious inner monologues. However, there were still several times where i yelled out loud for the story to move on already, but the end of the book made me forgive them.

The story was about 40% Dinner w/important guest, 10% moving to next parts of story, 40% main event, 8% resolution of main event, a
Caitlin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaylin has brought back the lost Barrani, but their homecoming isn't simple. Some want them dead, others hope to secure more power through them. And the Shadow at the base of the Tower is stirring. Kaylin isn't well equipped to deal with politics, but her mistakes can be used against her allies.

More magic and mystery, though it feels a bit diluted and drawn out. I wonder when the series will end.
Mary
I used to love this series, but the new ones are not as good as the older ones.

My main grumble is that there is just not enough action in them anymore. There is lots of talking and discussing politics, but it takes a while to get to the good stuff. There are also so many characters it is hard to remember who is who.

I also want more interactions between Severn and Kaylin. He seems to be relegated to an incidental supporting role in these books.
Kim
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series for the world building and the characters, but the unbelievably slow plot progression in this book had me very frustrated. The first five hours of the book are just one long winding discussion, and the dream sequences also drag abominably. The magic system doesn't have any established rules (Kaylin always goes off instinct), so why must we suffer through such long descriptions that don't add to the story? The ending was nice, but I felt like it was a chore to get there.
Kelly Hodgkins
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Loved it! I can’t believe Michelle can write so well as to make half a book about an upcoming dinner riveting! The history, the world building, the characters are all amazing but what strikes me over and over again is the way Michelle captures the struggles of humanity which are real in a fantastical setting which reframes them for me!
Rhenewal
Not as good as prior books

This installment was more difficult to follow than prior books. Sagara goes very deeply into the details of the world and magic-scheme that she has built, and spends more time with new characters than the established crew. Despite that, it remains a good story. I will continue to follow Kaylin’s journey and hope the payoff will be worth it.
Sheila Ryals
😻

I live this series. But I will admit it makes me feel stupid. The play on words is just a way but out of my minds reach. Some of it I enjoy though. The emotional ups and downs and the action. It’s just when they get into her powers with words. It really does make me confused. Kinda wished she could dumb it down.
Julia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much of this book felt slow, conversations about the nature of naming and magic and politics. So much of it felt dry and theoretical and pointless... but it built to an ending that made me cry. That made meticulous sense and touched my heart.
Anam
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a request to the author, whatever else you do ,do not get kaylin and severn together no matter what! , i dont know about others but it'll kill the story for me, kaylin and nightshade sound good together but she seems too naive for him though.
Indira Rivera
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Awesome! and All.

I still want more, I am not satisfied~
Marlie
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: Cast in Oblivion by Michelle Sagara - 4 stars 3 20 Feb 08, 2019 09:06AM
Girls, Guns and G...: Cast in Oblivion - Jan 29, 2019 NR BotM 9 20 Jan 30, 2019 08:17AM

• Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Rise of the Demon  (Kara Gillian, #9)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
  • Harbinger (Elfhome #5)
  • City of Night (The House War, #2)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Untitled Circle (Tris) Book
  • Untitled (Persephone Alcmedi, #7)
  • Chains of Darkness, Chains of Light (The Sundered, #4)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)