Start by marking “A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)

A Pinch of Magic

(A Pinch of Magic #1)

Three sisters trapped by an ancient curse.

Three magical objects with the power to change their fate.

Will they be enough to break the curse?

Or will they lead the sisters even deeper into danger? ...

The enchanting new story from Michelle Harrison, author of the bestselling Thirteen Treasures Trilogy
Published February 7th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK

Start your review of A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
Gavin
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished my re-read of A Pinch of Magic and I love it even more than I did when I read it last year. I didn’t think it was possible.

A Pinch of Magic follows three Widdershins sisters - Fliss, Betty and Charlie - who are cursed to always live on Crowstone. If they go beyond, they will die by the next sunset. This is only the beginning of their incredible, magical adventure. It’s a race against time to save their lives and each other.

One of the reasons why this is one of the best middle grades I
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I...absolutely adored this book.
It was just truly magical. It might be called A Pinch of Magic, but magic infused every word of this wonderful book.

Imagine an adventure story. Now add the high stakes element of being unable to leave an island to go on said adventure. Throw in some criminals, witchcraft, and what is without a doubt one of the strongest sisterly bonds I’ve read in a book...and you have a book that easily settles itself into ALL of your emotions. I didn’t expect to get so caught
Britt / Basically Britt
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
So magical and adventurous!! Loved it!
Sara
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
A Pinch of Magic is a story of sisters, a curse and maybe a pinch of magic. Widdershin sisters Fliss, Betty and Charlie are the latest in a long line of Widdershin women to be cursed to never leave their home island, or else they'll be dead by sundown. But Betty longs for adventure and a way to escape her boring life by breaking the curse. So when the girls are gifted with some family heirlooms in the shape of a mysterious travelling bag, a set of wooden dolls and an old mirror Betty decides to ...more
Umut Rados
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute, magical middle grade book with a gorgeous cover & end pages I must say :)
It's about Widdershin sisters trying to break a family curse affecting the women in their family for generations. They go on an adventure full of magic.
I loved the themes in this book. Sisterhood was the most prominent one with Widdershin sisters helping each other no matter what. There are also underlying content about trust, family, good & evil, etc.
The pace of the book was really good too. So, ove
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
BOOK #13 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

"She who tries, triumphs."

representation: characters of colour (described as having brown skin).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★.5

At first I wasn't really seeing what the hype was all about, but the more we got into the story, the more I really enjoyed it! AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN VIBES???? LIT.

trigger warnings: loss of loved ones (in the past), incarcerated loved ones, mention of suicide, mild
♡ jules ♡
I adored this book. I understand why so many people rave about the series and Michelle Harrison's writing. It was literally magical.
I loved seeing the bond between the sisters mixed with a touch of old mythology. It truly felt like reading a fairytale.
I also really appreciated how different the girls were but that didn't create jealousy or rivalry. It brought them even closer and what a team they were.
Betty the explorer, Fliss the caring and charming, Charlie the mischievous and daring.
Each of
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars. This is the first instalment in the A Pinch of Magic trilogy.

The three Widdershins sisters are unlike in looks and personality. The eldest, Fliss, is famed island-wide for her beauty and her flirting, middle child Betty is the straight-taking one whose eyes are always resting on the horizon, and youngest Charlie is a bundle of energetic trouble, who can usually be found with a four-legged rescue hiding somewhere inside her overalls. All three reside with their granny o
Megan
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so magical, whimsical and special. https://youtu.be/1bfLLLLLeog ...more
Cat
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever found an author who write stories that are EXACTLY what you wish stories would be? That everything you ever wanted to imagine in a story is there, perfectly articulated on the pages you're holding in your hand? Well, Michelle Harrison is that author for me. Every single one of her novels has had exactly the right amount of magic, character names, adventure, and imagination that I could ever want in a story.

This particular novel was a delight to read. I was captivated from the first
Maria
Sep 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf @50%
too boring
Nicole
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a whisimical magical middle grade. It was such a pleasant read.

I really really loved this book. I really was in the mood for something fun and magical, this definitely filled that need.

The writing was really good. Obviously its aimed at children but as an adult, I really enjoyed it still and I think it could be enjoyed by any age.

The characters were also lovely. I really loved the three sisters, especially Charlie, she was adorable.

It was super easy to read. It really did warm my
Steph
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliantly written tale of sisterhood, magic, betrayal and revenge. What would you do if you were handed a magical object, but then told you were cursed? Betty has to deal with that on her birthday. Throw in a prisoner who wants to escape, 2 excellently brave sisters and a mysterious legend of a young dark magic witch in a tower and you have this incredible tale. I devoured it in a matter of hours!
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warnings: Suicide

4,5 stars

While I don’t read it as often as I like, Middle Grade fantasy books can be such gems. A Pinch of Magic was one of those for me. When I requested this book there was no cover yet so you can’t accuse me of being lured in by the cover which you have to admit is just gorgeous. I was lured by the synopsis of three sisters and three magical objects.

While this boo
Kira
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Children's UK for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

A Pinch of Magic was a lot of fun to read, I thought the characters of the three sisters were really well developed and had their own individual identities and worked well together as a team as well as individuals as they all brought their own special element to the trio. I really did enjoy this book, it had everything that a middle grade needs and I'll definitely be picking up t
Simoné Eloff
Being the eldest of three sisters myself, I deeply appreciated the book's message of sisterly loyalty and love, but sadly, it just did not resonate with me all that much on other levels. We'll see how it goes with the second installment.

.....

Book #4 for Believathon III. This is actually a book from the featured author for this particular prompt (a book with a supernatural element to earn me the Torn Page), and it's one that I've been meaning to get to for aaaaages. Hope it doesn't disappoint!
Mathilde Paulsen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Yes, thought Betty. It was fair to say that Lady Luck crossed the road when she saw the Widdershins coming.”

This was a really good book! It was suspenseful, dramatic, interesting and funny. I loved the sisterly dynamics, the magic and the intricate curse that wove it all together.

A Pinch of Magic is a middle-grade book. It is about three sisters who are trapped by an ancient curse connected to their family. With the help of three magical items, the sisters will do all they can to break this cu
Nikki
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what middle grade stories should be - full of adventure, sisterly love, loyalty, treachery, bad guys, and, of course, a pinch of magic.

It starts a little slow, with Betty trying to escape from under her strict Gran’s watchful eye - she’s a typical headstrong kid who’s struggling with small town life. But the adventure builds and soon we are flung headlong into the magic, the curse and trying to find the truth.

As soon as they get into trying to break the curse, Betty really com
Tammie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read- March 2020 for Middle Grade March, The Animal Crossing Readathon (Read a Host's Pick) and The 1st Middle Grade Monthly Book for March
- I knew that people said this book was amazing but I didn't know how amazing it was, I absolutely loved this! I can't wait to move onto the second book once I get back from work.
Χρύσα Αναστασίου
This was so cute and wholesome. I had a great adventure alongside Betty, her sisters and a few more characters I cannot talk about due to spoilers. The book kept me such a good company and I had a feeling of warmth the whole time I was reading it.
Adi Rocks Socks
Story: 5 stars
Audio narration: 5 stars

Adventure is for the audacious.

I was lucky enough to be approved for an audiobook ARC of this magnificent children’s story. With strong elements of magic, love for one’s family, and witty writing, A Pinch of Magic is a vivid and enchanting story that I couldn’t stop listening to.

Meet our protagonists, Fliss, Betty, and Charlie. They’re the Widdershins sisters, and aged 16, 13 and 6, find out that they’re cursed — no Widdershin girl can ever leave Crowstone,
Sabrina
I accidentally read this in one sitting (it was so engrossing) and I'm pleased to report I'm officially out of my reading slump!
There are three items...three gifts, if you like. Each of them is an everyday object. Each of them holds a different kind of power. I call it a pinch of magic.
I was really quite pleasantly surprised by this book! It had splashes of so many things I liked:

- Three spunky heroines (sisters) with a well-written relationship and distinct personalities
- Light humour, incl

Amber Bismillah (scriptedsolstice)
OH MY GOSH I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS! By far the best middle-grade i have read.

A Pinch of Magic is about three sisters; Betty, Fliss and Charlie, who, along with the rest of their female relatives, are trapped in their town of Crowstone by an ancient curse. We follow them on their journey as they learn more about the curse, and how to break it.

The stakes were so high in this which i absolutely loved! The writing is incredibly atmospheric and dark at times and honestly just entr
Becky
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
This was so magical and fun, it was exactly what I needed to help me out of a reading slump!
Apparently I'm a mix of Charlie and Fliss from the quiz at the back - I'm not mad about it 😂 Charlie is so cheeky & mischievous while Fliss is thoughtful and caring. Wish I had a bit more of adventure in me like Betty but alas can't be all of them can we!
This definitely surprised me, it went in a different direction from what I was expecting - in a good way!
The writing and atmosphere was very good through
CR
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful story about magic, secrets, sisters, and love. I dived right in and read it all at once over the week. I need more!! The characters were so good!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the sisters and wished that I had a younger one but mom says no. :(
This adventure I think would appeal to kids who love magic!!
Samantha
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of adventure with some great female protagonists!
Wendy
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the best book I have read in a long time. Go out and buy it! You’re welcome.
Bianca
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-series
Oh my goodness I am obsessed! This is a new favourite. I laughed and cried and all round loved this story about three sisters and their pinch of magic
🔮👛✨
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
This book is just perfectly magical. Can that be the entire review? No? Okay. But trust me, it is.

Betty Widdershins is the middle sister of three, and together with 17 year old Fliss and 6 year old Charlie, she lives with her grandmother (and a cat called Oi!) above their pub on the tiny island of Crowstone. Their mother is dead, and their father is in prison. Betty is itching to get off the island and see the world, but on her thirteenth birthday, Granny breaks some bad news… The girls are bese

• Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to impossible places, #1)
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Land of Roar
  • Orion Lost
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Tilly and the Map of Stories (Pages & Co., #3)
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • Nevertell
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Brightstorm
  • The Haunting of Aveline Jones
  • Wonderscape
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
My first children's novel, THE 13 TREASURES, won the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and has been sold for translation in 17 countries worldwide. It's followed by two sequels: THE 13 CURSES and THE 13 SECRETS, and a prequel, ONE WISH.

I've also written UNREST, a ghost story for young adult readers, and THE OTHER ALICE. My latest novel is A SPRINKLE OF SORCERY, the sequel to the best-selling A PI

A Pinch of Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • A Tangle of Spells (A Pinch of Magic, #3)