Start by marking “The Seven Endless Forests” as Want to Read:
The Seven Endless Forests

The Seven Endless Forests

In this gorgeous standalone companion to the critically acclaimed fantasy, The Boneless Mercies, April Tucholke spins a bold and blood-hungry retelling of the King Arthur legend that is perfect for fans of Naomi Novik, Garth Nix, and Laini Taylor.

On the heels of a devastating plague, Torvi’s sister, Morgunn, is stolen from the family farm by Uther, a flame-loving Fremish
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Endless Forests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Endless Forests

Start your review of The Seven Endless Forests
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This is my first read from the author. It's a bit of getting used to because the character and location names are so foreign to me though Pig Witch and its living situation is funny. This story relive the past often, like how Torvi met Viggo, how the Butcher Bard came to town, wolf-priest came to their farm, etc. I'm not a fan of flash back. The knife dance is interesting and the Bard are sure bold to wear it in that place they chose. I like the old beliefs that the needles of the red pine tree ...more
Candace Robinson
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw there was going to be a companion to The Boneless Mercies, I knew I needed it! And this cover alone is golden!

Torvi was the perfect MC with an emotional backstory. On her journey, she doesn’t forget about what had happened to her in her past, but instead, let it make her new path stronger. Madoc was probably my favorite side character, but I loved them all, especially the Pig Witch, too!

I always love Tucholke’s writing so much! This book was beautiful and strong and I never wanted it
Amy (libraryofamy)
A COMPANION NOVEL TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME?!?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Based on the title I’m guessing this is somehow related to The Boneless Mercies and I am HERE for it.
Mara YA Mood Reader
Aug 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
All I needed to hear was Arthurian Legend! I am here!
♠ TABI ♠
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
oof that cover
Marie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
SO badass. The last chapter (not the epilogue) was one of the best closings of a novel I’ve ever read.
Sophie
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Look at this cover it is BEAUTIFUL!! And fulfils my desire for all the green covers!!
I need this book and this story!! I remember the writing was so beautiful in the first one (with was a companion to this-- both are standalones) as well!!
Acqua
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-sequels
How did I not know this was a thing??
Emma
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
The Seven Endless Forests is a book that I can probably only review through a pros / cons list.

Pros:
- The writing in this book is absolutely gorgeous. It feels like old-fashioned fantasy without ever being boring or clunky. This was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the book.
- The world-building is truly impressive. It's clear that Tucholke has thought a lot about this world and all of the stories it contains. There's tons of lore scattered throughout the story. The whole experience
Lyndall Clipstone
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved an ARC from Edelweiss and absolutely adored this book. It has all of the things that draw me back constantly to Tucholke's books: heart-breakingly lush prose, expansive casts of unique characters, and the most atmospheric settings. It was wonderful to revisit the world of the Boneless Mercies again, and I loved all of the little references to how Frey and her mercies had impacted the world.
Madeline
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-to-read
APRIL TUCHOLKE JUST CONFIRMED THIS ON INSTAGRAM I AM HYPERVENTILATING

AND it’s a companion to The Boneless Mercies! Which we all could have guessed but STILL I’m so happy it’s not a sequel
Megan
Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
NEED
Emilie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book.
This was an interesting book. An alternate take on the Arthurian Legends, it is the story of a young woman named Torvi who sets out with a small band of companions (including a "bard" and a "druid") to save her younger sister Morgunn from wolf-priests. Along the way they have many adventures and end up on a new journey seeking a sword encased in stone. Names and tales from the well-known Arthurian stories often pop up as Torvi and her friends follow their quest.
I
Jackie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is my second attempt at getting into this authors style of writing and I think it will be my last.

“Seven Endless Forests” finds Torvi burying two of the last people she loves and desperately clinging to the third, her younger sister, before her paths cross with a Druid on the run from wolves who are out for blood. When her sister is taken by the pack she sets off to bring her home and learns that she has to leave her past behind in order to truly live.

Like with this books companion novel
Alicia
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't realize it was a companion to The Boneless Mercies but figured it out pretty quickly with the multitude of references and the fact that while I understood the story and followed Torvi's character arc and conflicts, there was a lot of backstory that was being explained that I didn't quite get. A lot of names, groups, witches, and magic that I had to gloss over a little because I had actually read Boneless Mercies and didn't really enjoy it.

So this was an enjoyable story and I connected
Karissa
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really loved this retelling of the King Arthur tale. It had a heavy Norse/Viking feel to it and takes place in the same world as the Boneless Mercies. It does start out a bit wandering and slow, but then picks up pace.

This has a very classic fantasy questing feel to it which I really enjoyed. The writing style is very beautiful and descriptive making the sensations the characters feel and your surroundings really come alive.

Full review to follow.
Tânia
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Forever and always excited about retellings - especially if it's a retelling inspired by King Arthur's legend.

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
Kat
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love dark and beautifully written novels with lush descriptions then Seven Endless Forests is a 5 star winner! I have read April Genevieve Tucholke before, but this book is my favorite of all the ones I have read. It was so hard to close up at the end. Please do not pass by this one!
#SevenEndlessForests
#MustReadYA2020
Lauren
Dec 10, 2019
BREE
Sep 03, 2019
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Feb 13, 2020
Dec 19, 2019
Dave Sloan
Feb 04, 2020
Ash
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2020
Steph
Dec 25, 2019
Amanda
Jan 18, 2020

• He Started It
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Belle Révolte
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • If You Only Knew
  • The Grace Year
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Nameless Queen
  • Hooky
  • Tomb of Ancients (House of Furies, #3)
  • Not Quite Narwhal
  • The Body Under the Piano (Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen, #1)
April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Between the Spark and the Burn, and Wink Poppy Midnight. She also curated the horror anthology Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. She has received five starred reviews and her novels have been chosen for the Junior Library Guild, Kids' Indie Next picks, and YALSA Teens Top Ten. When she's not writing, April likes ...more