Start by marking “Seven Endless Forests” as Want to Read:
Seven Endless Forests

Seven Endless Forests

In this gorgeous standalone companion to the critically acclaimed fantasy, The Boneless Mercies, April Tucholke spins a bold and blood-hungry retelling of the King Arthur legend that is perfect for fans of Naomi Novik, Garth Nix, and Laini Taylor.

On the heels of a devastating plague, Torvis sister, Morgunn, is stolen from the family farm by Uther, a flame-loving Fremish
Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Endless Forests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Endless Forests

Start your review of Seven Endless Forests
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This is my first read from the author. It's a bit of getting used to because the character and location names are so foreign to me though Pig Witch and its living situation is funny. This story relive the past often, like how Torvi met Viggo, how the Butcher Bard came to town, wolf-priest came to their farm, etc. I'm not a fan of flash back. The knife dance is interesting and the Bard are sure bold to wear it in that place they chose. I like the old beliefs that the needles of the red pine tree ...more
Candace Robinson
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw there was going to be a companion to The Boneless Mercies, I knew I needed it! And this cover alone is golden!

Torvi was the perfect MC with an emotional backstory. On her journey, she doesnt forget about what had happened to her in her past, but instead, let it make her new path stronger. Madoc was probably my favorite side character, but I loved them all, especially the Pig Witch, too!

I always love Tucholkes writing so much! This book was beautiful and strong and I never wanted it to
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
I'm getting SABRIEL/BONE HOUSES vibes from this and I am all for it.
Amy (libraryofamy)
A COMPANION NOVEL TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME?!?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS
Mara YA Mood Reader
Aug 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
8/2/2019: All I needed to hear was Arthurian Legend! I am here!

2/25/2020: Okay but why yet another gotta-save-my-sister plot 😫? Come on! Other than that I am here for Druids and Tucholke
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Based on the title Im guessing this is somehow related to The Boneless Mercies and I am HERE for it. ...more
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 50%

When I read The Boneless Mercies, I thought it was a good book with fantastic writing, but the characters weren't that interesting and the plot was rather nonexistent. I attributed that to not being a huge Beowulf fan, so when I requested this, I hoped I would like it more since I love Arthurian mythology.

But, I came across the same issues.

The retelling wasn't really a retelling. Uther was mentioned a few times and
♠ TABI ♠
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
oof that cover
Marie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
SO badass. The last chapter (not the epilogue) was one of the best closings of a novel Ive ever read. ...more
Bex
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
When you've loved a book and you discover that there is a companion novel set in the same world as that book you obviously have to read it. But Seven Endless Forests was like going to see a band that you really love, only to discover that their new album isn't anywhere near as impressive.

Tucholke is a real poetic master. Her writing is the epitome of atmospheric and is absolutely the reason I persisted with a book that I was otherwise finding boring. Seven Endless Forests is marketed as a
Emma
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
The Seven Endless Forests is a book that I can probably only review through a pros / cons list.

Pros:
- The writing in this book is absolutely gorgeous. It feels like old-fashioned fantasy without ever being boring or clunky. This was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the book.
- The world-building is truly impressive. It's clear that Tucholke has thought a lot about this world and all of the stories it contains. There's tons of lore scattered throughout the story. The whole experience
Sophie
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Look at this cover it is BEAUTIFUL!! And fulfils my desire for all the green covers!!
I need this book and this story!! I remember the writing was so beautiful in the first one (with was a companion to this-- both are standalones) as well!!
Acqua
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-sequels
How did I not know this was a thing??
Lyndall Clipstone
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recieved an ARC from Edelweiss and absolutely adored this book. It has all of the things that draw me back constantly to Tucholke's books: heart-breakingly lush prose, expansive casts of unique characters, and the most atmospheric settings. It was wonderful to revisit the world of the Boneless Mercies again, and I loved all of the little references to how Frey and her mercies had impacted the world.
Madeline
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-to-read
APRIL TUCHOLKE JUST CONFIRMED THIS ON INSTAGRAM I AM HYPERVENTILATING

AND its a companion to The Boneless Mercies! Which we all could have guessed but STILL Im so happy its not a sequel
Megan
Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
NEED
Annette
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely marvelous.
Brandy {The Review Booth}
After dealing with the aftermath of a plague with no known cure Torvi's sister Morgunn, disappears under the cover of night. She has been kidnapped by a wolf-priest bishop named Uther to join her army of gaunt girls. Torvi is forced to leave her ancestral home to join forces with a druid to gain assistance from roving Butcher Bards. Once they finish their quest of finding and rescuing Torvi's sister from the ruthless bishop they plan to add another quest to their list - finding a legendary sword ...more
Rums The Reader
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seven Endless Forests is an imaginative and gorgeously written story set in the same verse as Tucholkes previous novel, The Boneless Mercies. While that book left me with mixed feelings, this novel worked so much better for me and it was such an enjoyable reading experience.

The novel follows Torvi and her younger sister Morgunn, as they try and deal with their new normal after their mother and the rest of their household, pass away at the hands of a devastating plague. While one threat has just
Amanda Espinoza
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
If you would like an updated YA version of the old Disney movie, The Sword in the Stone then this book may be for you.

Set in a magical land called Vorseland a young woman named Torvi and her sister Morgunn must deal with the new realities in a world without their mother and Torvis boyfriend, Viggo. While they are alone on their farm Torvi discovers that her sister has gone missing. Torvi must leave the farm to search for her sister in the Seven Endless Forests.

The reader follows Torvis first
Emilie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book.
This was an interesting book. An alternate take on the Arthurian Legends, it is the story of a young woman named Torvi who sets out with a small band of companions (including a "bard" and a "druid") to save her younger sister Morgunn from wolf-priests. Along the way they have many adventures and end up on a new journey seeking a sword encased in stone. Names and tales from the well-known Arthurian stories often pop up as Torvi and her friends follow their quest.
I
Heather
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley.

I loved this unique take on Arthurian lore. I liked the characters, but it felt the story was more about their journey and the world they traveled in than about themselves. I enjoyed learning about the different cultures and customs of the people in the story, but it did feel at times that there were so many different ones that the reader really only gets a quick sample of each before moving on to another.

Even with the focus on the setting,
Jackie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is my second attempt at getting into this authors style of writing and I think it will be my last.

Seven Endless Forests finds Torvi burying two of the last people she loves and desperately clinging to the third, her younger sister, before her paths cross with a Druid on the run from wolves who are out for blood. When her sister is taken by the pack she sets off to bring her home and learns that she has to leave her past behind in order to truly live.

Like with this books companion novel
Amanda Greco
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you, as always, to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC.

Its no easy thing to meet your dreams head-on

Torvi, a young Vorse woman born of an Elsh mother and a roaming, never present father, wakes to find that the snow sickness has taken everyone in her Hall, leaving only her and her sister alive. After burying her mother and her loved, despite traditions begging for burning the bodies, they keep moving on, just the two of them. A pig-witch Druid by the name of Gyda appears and they take
El
Rating: 2.5 rounded up to a 3.

If adventure comes my way, I will run to greet it. I will grab the world by its leash and make it heel.

I feel pretty conflicted about this one. The prose was intoxicating. It was honestly poetic and beautiful, which is something I loved about Boneless Mercies. And I liked Torvi, the main character. Shes obsessed with fairytales and stories, and models herself off the characters that she loves. I think a lot of readers feel like that about their favourite characters,
Shilo Quetchenbach
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I went into this book thinking 1) gorgeous cover and 2) Arthurian legends: cool. I didn't know it was a companion novel, and might not have requested it if I did.

I read half of it before ultimately deciding to dnf. Mostly it was a personal preference thing. There is plenty of plot, and the pacing is good and there's definitely that sense of quest/adventure, but I felt absolutely no connection to any character and therefore didn't have any desire to continue reading. Stuff happens, mostly bad
Maggie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating this a little higher than I might have on my own enjoyment level because I want to acknowledge that something not working *for me* is not an indication of it not working at all.
If you liked Boneless Mercies you will love this. I think overall I liked it better between the two of them, myself. I think I connected with Torvi more than I did with Frey so overall I was more invested in this story.
What this book does very well, that I think is what doesn't work *for me*, is the narrative
Kym's Open Books
This book started strong, full of adventure, mystery and action. The characters you meet have a strong loyalty and companionship and its heart warming to read the trials they endure for each other and the devotion they share.
I then found myself feeling lost in who additional characters were and what part of the story they played? I forgot names and backgrounds and couldnt figure out relevance. What started as an amazing quest turned disappointing. The story just hummed along with very little
Karissa
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book set in the same world as The Boneless Mercies. I got an eGalley from NetGalley to review.

Story (4/5): I really loved this retelling of the King Arthur tale. It had a heavy Norse/Viking feel to it and takes place in the same world as the Boneless Mercies. It does start out a bit wandering and slow, but then picks up pace. The classic fantasy questing structure of the story really drew me in.

Characters (5/5): I loved Torvi and her traveling
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-mt-bookpile
This lived up to the Boneless Mercies, whew!

Set in the same world, apparently many years later, we have a version of the King Arthur story that adds some interesting, vaguely Norse bits. There's also a quest that has Tolkein-esque overtones - disparate friends or acquaintances forming a band to make the trek towards revenge and a sword. For me, there were times I wanted to spend more time at a location or with a people and others when I wanted us to move along faster, sometimes at the same

• Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass
  • The Dark Tide (The Dark Tide #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Stone of Sorrow (Runecaster, #1)
  • The Dark Continent (Prometheus Man #2)
  • The House Guest
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Nameless Queen
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • The Glass Magician
April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Between the Spark and the Burn, Wink Poppy Midnight, The Boneless Mercies, and Seven Endless Forests.She also curated the horror anthology Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. Her books have been published in sixteen countries, and have received ten starred reviews. They have been selected for the Junior Library Guild, ...more

News & Interviews