Start by marking “Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane” as Want to Read:
Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane

Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane

Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane features live audio of performances captured over three evenings in September of 2018 at the Minetta Lane Theatre in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village, woven into a single, one-of-a-kind audio event. Pioneering artist and writer Patti Smith commands the stage to perform original spoken-word stories from her life, interwoven with the music of her ...more
Audible Audio, 1 page
Published November 1st 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane, please sign up.
Mel This is an Audible Original, so there isn't a CD. It's downloadable strictly via Audible or libraries (like mine) that offer digital content.

Bark
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, audiobook
A short members only freebie I received via audible. It's a live recording of Patti Smith reading poetry, snippets of her writing and performing several of her songs. Interesting and good stuff and that's all I have for a review because I didn't take notes and listened over a month ago!
Joseph Spuckler
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poetry and music from Patti Smith supporter by Jesse Paris Smith, Jackson Smith, and Tony Shanahan
Nada EL Shabrawi
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this!
Joe Kraus
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
I got this one through Audible, but didn’t consider it a “book” until I saw the New York times had reviewed it. If it’s good enough for them, then I suppose it’s good enough for me.

I love Patti Smith at what I think of her as her best, as a kind of punk poet. I admit I get tired of her work (though not her, never her) when she lapses into the heavy recitation rhythm stuff, when she reads a poem mid-concert and seems to ask, implicitly, if we wouldn’t rather be sitting by ourselves and reading. N
Mary
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Patti Smith performs her music with stories and poetry.
Crystal Starr Light
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, biography
Bullet Review:

Thank the gods this was a free Audible Original work and I didn't spend any money or credits on it. I'm not saying this was terrible (the prose parts where Patti Smith relates various events from her life were pretty interesting), but I'm not a poetry person nor a Patti Smith fan (I had to look up who she was). The addition of music was very odd - on one hand, it was a helpful introduction, on the other, it was somewhat out of place.

Honestly, I got this solely because it was free -
Sheila Beaumont
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, powerful performance, a mix of poetry, reminiscences, and music. Highlights include "Because the Night" and the finale, "People Have the Power." This is one I will listen to again.
Ashley Hamm
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful performance of music, poetry and music!
Guillermo
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not exactly an audiobook. Part poetry reading, part storytelling, part concert. It's beautiful and it works.
David
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a recent free "Audible Originals" selection. I picked it because I knew nothing about Patti Smith and figured it'd be painless way to learn something.

I enjoyed the songs, though I didn't have the concentration to follow the poetic lyrics. Turns out I did know (and like) one Patti Smith song - "Because the Night" - and it was a special treat to be surprised by it.

The stories were also enjoyable, but I think there were parts of them I didn't "get" like I should. For instance, many of them
Debra Barstad
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
good listen I would recommend
Katie Boyer
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, audiobook
Free Audible Original - songs and poetry readings by Patti Smith. Very cool for fans of music/poetry/Patti but I wouldn't call this short piece a "book" per say. Quick enjoyable listen though.
Andie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Patti Smith performs this memoir through poetry, song and her own quirky prose narrative, painting a wonderful picture of New York in the 1960's - a place that has now vanished. My favorite anecdote is of her first meeting with Allan Ginsberg at the Automat. She arrives with enough money for a cheese sandwich only to find that the prices have increased. Allan Ginsberg appears behind her and pays the difference and sits down at her table. He stares at her intently and finally exclaims, "You're a ...more
Tommy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This shouldn't even count as a 'read'. It's a brisk hour or so of Patti sharing stories, writings, and a few songs, accompanied by her kids/band members. It's wonderful, because it's Patti. Stories about Fred "Sonic" Smith, Robert Mapplethorpe, Allen Ginsburg, the Chelsea Hotel, and living on cheese sandwiches in the late 60's.

"People Have the Power", "Wing", "Because the Night", "Pissing in a River", and "Peaceable Kingdom" make the setlist.

It's joyous, warm, and loose. Patti's a gift. Listen
Relyn
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves storytelling
Recommended to Relyn by: audible.com
Shelves: audiobooks
I first discovered Patti Smith on Instagram. Her feed is fantastic. I feel like one of the last people in America to discover her. Patti Smith is obviously a songwriter and performer. She's an author, too. Even better, she's a poet, a storyteller, and a wordsmith. Her eye for beauty is astounding. When I learned that she is still traveling the world making music, advocating for change, and generally doin' her thing at 72 - well, how could I not love her?

I do love her. I really do. I don't, howe
LindaJ^
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
This Audible Original is short - less than an hour and a half. It isn't really a book, it is a performance. It is Patti Smith live at the Minetta Lane. Smith, with her children backing her up musically, reads poetry (all but one that she wrote herself) and tells stories (some from her book Just Kids). Many of the stories are about NYC in the late 1960s and early 1970s. She talks about Robert Mapplethorpe and her husband Steve Smith. Each story is accompanied by a poem or a song. Patti Smith can ...more
Sonya
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
I really didn't know much about Patti Smith until our book club pick one month was "Just Kids". I had been familiar with some of her music but that was about it. I love her style of writing and was awed by her experiences in New York in the 60's and 70's. She seems like someone I would really enjoy spending time with. When Audible suggested this for free, I jumped at the offer and it deepened my appreciation for her and her work.

This audio is an enjoyable hour and a half with Patti telling stor
Meredith
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will read or listen to anything Patti Smith puts out. This was a bit more than a concert recording (although it could be typical for Patti Smith concerts) with some prose and poetry reading, as well as anecdotes and music performance. Will I listen to it again? Definitely. It's worth it if only for the songs and the anecdote about the first time she met Allen Ginsburg!
Liz
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting mix of Patti Smith reading from both Just Kids and M Train and her poems interspersed with music and banter with the audience. My only beef is that it was too short! But listening to this audio book definitely made my recent plane trip more bearable.
Jeimy
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part concert, part recital, part book reading. Patti Smith is as magical in real life as she is in the recordings of her book. My only regret is not being at the Minetta Lane when she was performing live.
LeeTravelGoddess
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful short book of words and songs 💚.
Elaine
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, the things I never knew
Helen
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's Patti Smith. She is an icon and so full of joy and humility. I love to hear her tell her stories, and her songs are so evocative of a life lived.
Rod
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting blend of poetry, storytelling, music, and asides, including pieces from Just Kids and M Train. I loved it. Patti Smith always strikes me as genuine, compassionate, insightful, with a deep feeling for the sorrow of life and a beautiful sense of humor. Hope to hear more from her soon.
Mel
While I'm glad that Audible is now offering free Audible Originals each month to members, I have yet to find anything that I couldn't live without. Free being free, I snatched up Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane during the month it was offered.

Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane is a short and sweet glimpse into the life and times of Patti Smith and I am glad that I gave it a listen. That said, I won't listen to it again. Good thing it was free.
Garrett Zecker
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since Audible began to release their free monthly audiobooks produced in-house, I have been relatively interested in them without much commitment based solely on the content being presented as free. But this was one of the first four that I decided to actually listen to – and my goodness, to open with the goddess Patti Smith set the bar incredibly high.

This is a live performance piece that was recorded by Amazon at their Minetta Lane performance space, and it is a gorgeous, funny, and touc
Cynthia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was dreaming in my dreaming
Of an aspect bright and fair
And my sleeping it was broken
But my dream it lingered near
In the form of shining valleys
Where the pure air recognized
And my senses newly opened
I awakened to the cry
That the people have the power
To redeem the work of fools
Upon the meek the graces shower
It' s decreed the people rule
Erica  S
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though the stories in this audio book are ones I've already heard, I love the storytelling ability Patti has. She always draws me in right away and I am fully engulfed. I listened to this in one sitting! I love how songs and stories are intertwined with the story and that her two children were a part of this! Love, love, love Patti!
Angela
Dec 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
First, let me say that I love music and learning about musicians but this was very strange. It is part music and part storytelling. It mostly focuses on her life during the 60s and 70s but she consistently is name dropping people that I’ve never even heard of. I did learn however that she is the original artist on Because the Night, which I never knew.
Melissa
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a long excerpt in here that starts with the quote "We seek to stay present, even as the ghosts draw us away"...the whole thing is some of the best writing I've heard in years. Even if that mostly just convinced me to read M Train, this whole little show was a good and honest performance. Beautiful soul.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Driven: A White-Knuckled Ride to Heartbreak and Back
  • Rules for My Unborn Son
  • A Mammal's Notebook: Collected Writings of Erik Satie
  • My Journey with Maya
  • Downtown Pop Underground: New York City and the literary punks, renegade artists, DIY filmmakers, mad playwrights, and rock ’n’ roll glitter queens who revolutionized culture
  • Hi Bob!
  • Fear of Music
  • Debussy: A Painter in Sound
  • Have a Nice Day
  • Society's Child: My Autobiography
PATTI SMITH is a writer, performer, and visual artist. She gained recognition in the 1970s for her revolutionary merging of poetry and rock. She has released twelve albums, including Horses, which has been hailed as one of the top one hundred albums of all time by Rolling Stone.

Smith had her first exhibit of drawings at the Gotham Book Mart in 1973 and has been represented by the Robert Miller Ga