Start by marking “Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins” as Want to Read:
Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins

Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins

It exists in a long-forgotten corner of the American dream.

Green Valley County is home to murders and heroes, ghosts and jinxes, gods, devils, and even a pygmy Big Foot.

But the biggest menace is Jinx Jenkins and the string of bad luck he bestows upon the townsfolk.

Can the good people of Green Valley overcome this one man's curse?

If you love the classic comic and magica
Published December 3rd 2018 by Transmundane Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Conduits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conduits

Start your review of Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins
Shraððhâ
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ebooks
Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins by author J. Ryan Sommers is an interesting and unique read. This book contains different, interconnected and interesting short stories with lots of weird and different characters. All of these short stories takes place in a fantasy land called Green Valley. I really enjoyed the description of this place as, "It is a location that we all have visited if not in reality then maybe in our imaginations". How intriguing right!

Green Valley is a home for many good p
Ruchi Patel
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all I would like to say the story has been setup in Green Valley. It exists in a long-forgotten corner of the American dream. I liked the idea and concept of the Green Valley. Read the book to know about that idea entirely. There lived a man called Jinx Jenkins. That man is so unlucky that everything goes wrong around him. The book is collection of certain stories or incidents. Due to different names of characters and places, it took me a while to enter into the story but later on ot ca ...more
Aditi Roy
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think the whole book is interesting and engaging. It turns out to be a good short story collection with both humour and heart, exploring comic and magical realism with honesty. But you need little bit of time to understand what's going on! Also, language is bit difficult to grasp but the narration is pretty good. In the short term, all the stories are entertaining, amusing and adventurous.

As this book progresses, you begin to connect with the characters eventually you can feel the emotions on
Booksiren
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sommer’s impressive debut dashes through a surreal valley as humans, ghosts, jinxes, gods, devils, heroes, and a pygmy Big Foot come together and form a remarkable tale.

Green Valley County is home to many good people, but the legendry Jinx Jenkins’s panache to bestow bad luck on people around him proves to be the biggest menace for the townsfolk. Can the Green Valley inhabitants overcome Jinx’s curse?

Sommers’s confident prose vividly evokes the whimsical and strange of Green Valley County and h
Melina Lobo
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If these stories have turned you off
Listen to my words as I philosophe
Green Valley exists in your mind
What the hell did you expect to find
🦄🦄🦄
Once upon a place... doesn't that sound like a great start to a book?
Green Valley is a place of magical realism, with people, houses, roads etc just like any other.
In this County lives a man named Jinx Jenkins, a walking, talking bag of bad luck.
Will the people of Green Valley County be able to combat his bad luck?
🦄🦄🦄
Conduits: the Ballad of Jinx Jenkins is
Meghna Roy
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a collection of more than 10 short stories. This story is about a man called Jinx Jenkins, a man such unlucky that nothing goes right around him. He lives in Green Valley, a long-forgotten corner of the American dream. Green valley is the home for murders and heroes, ghosts and jinx, gods, devils and many other people. Jinx Jenkins brings havoc for the people in Green Valley. Kids are scared of him and people od Green Valley disgusts him for his weird aura. Every story has it's own set of t ...more
Prarinthepustakaaley
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, it gave me major ‘Supernatural’ vibes and I love Supernatural! I am not a fan of fantasy and even though magical realism has its roots in fantasy, I really enjoyed this book. Let’s begin with the narration first, it was descriptive and had me hooked throughout, there weren’t a lot of points in the book where I was confused. A lot of times I find elements of a fantasy book pretty unbelievable, blame it on my bad imagination or whatever but I can’t wrap my head around ce ...more
Quote A
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Name - CONDUITS: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins: A Storybook for Grownups
Publisher - Transmundane Press, LLC
Final Rating for the book - 4.3
Book Review - This mythical/fantasy book that redefines a lot of genres is book one in the series by acclaimed international author J. Ryan Sommers. The book is a rare gem, that is an absolute delight to read. Set in the fantasy land of The Green Valley, it is a collection of short stories that are inter-connected and take the reader on a thrilling journey.
Sayantani Das
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this book is so difficult for me because it was tough for me to understand. At some parts, I was just reading and reading without understanding anything. The places where I understood the story I could not connect them.

Then I read the book for the second time with a calm mind. I started understanding a little bit of it. Slowly I could connect with the stories and realized this book needs time. The book needs to be understood deeply.

The author's effort is clearly visible in his
Yokesh
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book "Conduits:The Ballad Of Jinx Jenkins" is an anthology consisting of various stories with one thing as common 'THE GREEN VALLEY' a place seen only in our minds, a place so close yet so far.The creative context is clearly visible in having a place as the main part of book.

Ajayshankar11
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins by author by J. Ryan Sommers is a unique offbeat read. Book is a collection of stories, all stories are associated with a place called Green Valley and Jinx Jenkins is somehow responsible/pivotal with all stories.

Jenkins is smelliest man of Green Valley and he brings bad luck to all who encounters him /crosses his path and so he is called Jinx Jenkins.

Before each short story there is a small sub story about Jinx Jenkins and different characters of short stor
Chirag Jain
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The title suits perfectly to the book. CONDUITS-a passage for some kind , here its the passage for all those emotions expressed through words into our heart ; BALLAD- short passage narrating stories ,here it refers to the short stories explaining the life of jinx jenkins.

Jenkins has created an aura which instills fear among children and all the people around him. People of Green Valley don't want him around at all.
All the mishap he does is gripping for readers.

Though, each story was a separate s
Surbhi
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Haven't you love reading or binge watching the content in which there are lots of stories and all are interconnected? Where all the characters are connected and each one too have their own story?
Inshort the content inriched with story of stories.

Content of book "Conduits" is alike that. The book "Conduits:The Ballad Of Jinx Jenkins" is an anthology consisting of various stories and among these only one thing as common is "The green Valley".

Green Valley County is home to murders and heroes, gho
Bhavy Thakur
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Conduits : The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins is a fictional book written by J. Ryan Sommers with lots of imaginations.All these fantasies takes place in a imaginary land called "Green Valley". It's description os really interesting, "It is a place of magical realism, with the houses roads etc. just like any other. In this county lives a man names"Jinx Jenkins", he's the epitome of havoc, badluck and infirmity who creates a big hurdle in the life of all the citizens living in Green Valley. Kids are scar ...more
Shivanshu
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
REVIEW:- CONDUITS: THE BALLAD OF JINX JENKINS
AUTHOR:- J. RYAN SOMMERS

This is the book of anthology consisting of various stories but one thing is common in all of them "A Green Valley" such and creative and well described place. That's the location where we all visited if not in reality but maybe in our imagination.

Book contains Magic, Fantasy, Anthology, Satire, Absurd, and also horror as well in such a fantastic manner. Some of them stories are really shocking for me, it really feels like very
Contemporary_literary_threads
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
'CONDUITS: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins: A Storybook for Grownups by J. Ryan Sommers' is a anthology set in a fictional place named Green Valley, that place between waking and dreaming. Jinx Jenkins is a resident of Green Valley , who has some energy or he is a kind of destroyer. His appearance is similar to a corpse.
Jenkins has creates a aura which instills fear among children and all the people around him. People of Green Valley don't want him around at all.
The interesting part of this book is
Simran
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
✨CONDUITS: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins✨
Author:  J. Ryan Sommers
The book consists of various stories set up in the imaginary land of Green Valley. The stories revolve around the central character named Jinx Jenkins. Right from the beginning the book kept my hooked as I really love reading books which gives me magical and supernatural vibes. You are going to find many unbelievable incidents in the book which are really interesting to read. I love imagining things and while reading this book you
Vidhya Thakkar
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here lives a man called Jinx Jenkin, a man with bad luck. How will people of Green Valley withstand with his bad luck? Can the good people of Green Valley overcome this one man's curse?
With a collection of some amazing stories, this book introduces Green Valley and the people there to the readers.How the curse of Jinx affects the whole valley and the weird things happening around. .
Well, when I started reading, I found it a bit confusing. But later I could relate to the book well. A book, full o
Blue Reviews
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating stories with magical realism.
The debut is full of wit, fantasy and charm. The humorous writing style of the author brings energy to the book, making readers turn pages at fast pace.
Conduits is a collection of short stories to introduce us to various characters. The author plays with the reader by interlinking the stories with each other, pushing the reader to explore more.
Ryan's storytelling is compelling and spellbinding at the same moment. Ryan brings his world, the Green Valley st
Nikhil Patnaik
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of short stories set in a fictional place "GREEN VALLEY",a place between waking and dreaming. The stories are about jinx jekin a resident of green valley,who is a kind of devil like character .His appearance is similar to corpse. Due his devil like personality people of green valley fears him and don't want to be around him at all. Though, each story was a separate and unique, we can feel the connection with each story.It feels like a complete read and not like a series ...more
Nikita Sharma
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Conduits: The Ballad of Jinx Jenkins by J. Ryan Sommers is set in a place called Green Valley which is a home to murders, heroes , gods and other supernatural beings.

Magical realism or magic realism is a style of fiction that paints a realistic view of the modern world while also adding magical elements.

I have been always a lover of this genre and always preferred to watch movies that has a supernatural touch to it. But it is my first book in this genre . And I must say I absolutely loved it.

T
Aritra Bikash
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story is about the Green Valley...and the character named Jinx Jenkins...the story is a philosophy for me who is thinking of devil as a separate persona...the world seem to think about the devil as the reason for the sufferings but according to me and also which is the right notion, devil is not the bad one to to blame about...devil is the one who punish people for their wrongdoing and so he is not the wrongdoer himself...from the biblical reference he is actually a angel..this story is some ...more
Akhila Saroha
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magic realism is one style of literary writing which was popularized by Gabriel Garcia Marquez although with time, there was not much being written in this genre. “Conduits: the Death of Jinx Jenkins: A storybook for grownups” by J. Ryan Sommers is one book in this genre that does absolute justice to it. Jinx Jenkins may come across the readers as a Christ figure but with a smooth plot the author slowly unviels the different layers and the idea behind his taking the ultimate step.
Since the book
Subhajit Sahoo
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Conduits: The Ballad Of Jinx Jenkins is an interesting read. The book comprises of many short interconnected stories all taken place in Green Valley.

Jinx Jenkins is a weird person who lives in Green Valley with many wise people and is infamous by the fact that he turns the rock upside down to shower all bad luck on the people of the place and runs havoc all around. He is ill-fated and gets blamed for all losses. People don't like him and maintain a far distance from his shadow. All the messy dra
Twinkle Arora
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Title - Conduits : The Ballad of
Jinx Jenkins : A story book
for grownups
Author - J. Ryan Sommers
Format - kindle
The story of this book is setup in a fictional land Green Valley. The book consists of various interrelated interesting stories. All the stories revolve around the protagonist Jinx Jenkins. His body is similar to sekelton type which infuses fear in the children and in other people too. The cover of the book could have been better. The title is okayish but apt to the content. All the
Stacy
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: shift-book-club
Score is after a good book club discussion with the author present. I didn't realize it was short stories at first so I was confused. Some stories were tough to get through but others were fun. Unsure why it ended with Roulette cause that was so bleak in my mind.

The pacing made sense as I went through and actually made it easier to read. I expected more of a wrap up with Jinx as the main character, but apparently that's in the next novel(?). It reminded me of Wayside Stories of Wayside School bu
Divya Malhotra
Conduits - The death of Jinx Jenkins story of grownups

I somehow love the mysterious cover of the book as it is really an eye catchy one.

Amongst all the stories I can really connect to these ones which are different yet penned down in a different way :
MILLENNIAL, THE LION’S DEN , CIVILIZED MAN

The language is not an ordinary one the crux is different and the plot is a must read !!

In the depths of the Green Valley highlands to all the ironical plot...

The most favourite line highlighted is : she was
Harshita
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CONDUITS is a very interesting book. It is full of chill and thrill. absolutely amazing for the people who loves thriller. The story revolves around Jenkins who commits suicide. His suicide became a question for everyone in the green valley. The story continues with this mystery.
The flow of the story is very good. The mystery and thrill is continued till the end of the book. The narration is very perfect. It's an engaging read. The writing style is easy and simple. The vocabulary is Nicely used
Anjedah / bookriot_awesomeyou
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
just finished this amazing gem. It's just amazing . I want all of you to read it . Read it . Read it.

To find most read this book.
This is just wow. There are lots of twist and turns , it's quite unpredictable.

Language is simple and lucid and narration is also Good.
There really is too much to describe in this short review. It is a very interesting novel, and I highly recommend it.
Priyansha Bhatia
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing

• Faith and the Beloved (Kochery C Shibu)
  • Stories of Us
  • Evolution Cradle: The Aryan Origin - Full Version
  • Love Curry: A Potpourri of Love and Life and All Things in Between!
  • Maya: Lifting the Veil
  • The Girl with the Lightning Brain
  • Jean Angel
  • Rhythm Roger: The Secrets Of Electon
  • The Girl in the Dream
  • Tarikshir: The Awakening
  • Thoughts Alight Poetry
  • लूज़र कहीं का! / Loser Kahin Ka!
  • Beyond The Night Before The Dawn
  • Adventures of Poorna
  • Sniper's Debt(7even Series Book 2)
  • The Rape Trial
  • Love, Swipe, Blackmail
  • Hope You Don't Get Famous: Poetry and Prose
J. Ryan Sommers has an MFA in creative writing from Columbia College Chicago. He and his wife recently left the Windy City and relocated in Houston, where Sommers teaches at San Jacinto College and continues to write.

He has published stories in Zoetic Press, So to Speak, Helen Literary Magazine, Storyfile Magazine, Menda City Press, Silhouette Press, and The Paragon Review to mention a few. He als

News & Interviews