Start by marking “Total Immersion” as Want to Read:

Total Immersion

A college study abroad trip goes bad fast when Evan's boyfriend dumps him right before takeoff. Last thing he wants is to make nice with the preppy stranger on the plane who won't leave him alone.

Sweltering days, a shared hotel room, and embarrassing adult toy mishaps lead to an unexpected friendship. They couldn't possibly have less in common. A fact that matters less
Published November 3rd 2018 (first published May 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Total Immersion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Total Immersion

Start your review of Total Immersion
Teal
Well, this one lasted all of about two minutes. At 2% the 1st person narrative slips into 3rd person for a sentence. I can only wonder what other sloppy, inexcusably careless errors await in the remaining 98%. I double-checked my Amazon orders to verify it was a freebie, because if I'd paid money for it I was going to be deeply pissed at myself. I have better things to do with my life than put up with this kind of crap.
Ami

*sigh* … maybe I was in the wrong mood but the best way to describe this story is, well, dry.

I was looking forward to something fun happening during the trip because romance on a holiday seems fun to read. However, I never felt connected with these characters. The dual perspectives from Evan and Bale were too similar for me to able to distinctly separate them. In fact, a few times I thought I was reading Evan’s perspective only to realize it was Bale’s.

I am trying to find something that
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
*shurgs*

This was all right. But it didn't rock my world.

Two college seniors meet on a plane heading to a summer program in Turkey and end up bunking together. Evan is the tough guy with tats and piercings who's in a great deal of pain from an accident he had a few months earlier and who was just dumped by his long-term boyfriend. Bale is the preppy one who wants to help Evan with his pain and who just broke up with his girlfriend.

But this isn't a GFY. I don't think. Bale's sexuality was kind
Lena Grey
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true test of any relationship is when the love is just as strong in bad times as it is in good. Unfortunately, Evan Stanton didn't have that kind of bond with his boyfriend. After Evan is injured in a fall, his boyfriend decides they need time apart. Discouraged, but determined not to let it stop him, Evan leaves on a journey alone, one that is destined to change his life forever.

When Evan's boyfriend dumps him, he doesn't have a contingency plan, but is determined to take the trip they had
Serena Yates
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
'Total Immersion' is a good title for this story about two men, each looking for something different, a better type of life or relationship than they've had so far. They meet on a trip to Turkey, and by 'immersing' themselves in that experience they each learn something new, become more open, and manage to fall in love.

Evan is not in a good place at the beginning of the story. He had a bad fall, injured his back, and has never really recovered - despite the fact his doctors told him his symptoms
Sadonna
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Turkey is by far my most favorite place in the world I have visited yet. Istanbul and Haghia Sophia alone are worth the trip. The balloon ride over Cappadocia at sunrise is something I'll never forget. Ephesus. Bodrum. Canakkale. The beauty of Pamukkale and the hot springs. The churches at Goreme. The underground city at Derinkuyu. The Baklavaterias (what we named the places that only serve variations of Baklava) - many within steps of the Topkapi palace where it may have originated ;) All ...more
bookfaerie
I really liked these two MC's together and could have used more to this story. Not as erotic as I'd anticipated but their journey to falling in love is tender and loving; which is very satisfying in its own way. Not heavy with angst or trouble. Just a pleasant and even flow to a HEA. Overall, well worth having read.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Well, this was my first foray into the stylings of Ellis Carrington, and I can officially say I have found a new author I adore. I will be reading her entire back catalogue when time permits, as this author has such a profoundly beautiful way with words. It’s always amazing to find an author that speaks to all your likes this way, and the general flow and descriptiveness of her prose had me salivating over this story from the get-go.

In a dual narrative between Evan and Bale, this story unfurled
Barb ~rede-2-read~
A cute and fun short story about two guys who journey to Turkey on a class trip over their college summer break. Evan Stanton and Chris Bale meet as seatmates onboard the plane. Evan has just been jilted, by a text from his lover, Josh, who arranged the trip and should have been with him. Bale is there to enjoy himself, having recently broken up with this girlfriend, and he’s looking forward to an overseas adventure before finishing school and starting work as an accountant.

Bale is extremely
Sharon
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to fall in love with two people falling in love? This is a relatively short story so it focuses strictly on our couple Evan and Bale (The Dark Knight, you will get this reference when you read the story) and told from both of their POVs.

Even has been in constant pain since an accident and it has taken a toll on him physically and emotionally. He feels hopeless and is completely thrown for a loop when he meets his total opposite Bale. Bale is a nice happy go lucky kind of guy and just a
France-Andrée
A very enjoyable story that worked on many levels:

First, the characters travelling through Turkey and Greece in a student group made for an interesting background. There was enough sight seeing to feel like you were yourself in those foreign countries. I've never been to either of those places, but I could easily imagine them through the descriptions given.

Second, the alternating narration between Evan and Bale gave the reader a chance to see the story from both points of view. That device
Keith
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s OK

An odd little story line with two characters feeling different types of pain, one physical and the other emotional. Somehow, Bale and Evan mange to find common ground and a possible future.
Claudia
My only issue with this story is that it's not long enough! I want to read more about Evan and Bale! They have big changes coming up, it wasn't enough! Gah!
Ddkmc95
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute YA story

Cute story...figuring what you want out of life and who you’d like to share that experience with you. That’s the short story of Evan and Bale.
Joyfully Jay
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Total Immersion
is a lovely story of starting over and healing. I loved Evan and Bale’s story. From the beginning the friendship built between the guys is the strong foundation for the eventual relationship. Their story is a slow burn, weeks of friendship that builds and kindles the fire between them. When they meet, Bale makes Evan a sort of project. Evan thinks Bale is a rebound attraction so he tries to ignore it and see the pushy guy as a friend. I really
Pat
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of college seniors on a two-week summer tour of Europe discover that not only do opposites attract, but human kindness and loyalty go a long way to making an immersive romance into a solid base for a potential lasting relationship.

Although Evan Stanton isn't one hundred percent cured after he slipped on steps going to class (which forced him into physical therapy), he still agrees to go abroad because his boyfriend wants to. When Evan gets to the airport with his backpack, he's stunned
Nic
This short story was lots of fun. I think it might be the first romance I've read set in Istanbul so a plus there for originality!

This is the story of poor Evan who starts a tour to Turkey feeling pretty down. He's just been dumped by his boyfriend plus he has chronic pain from an injury months before. Enter, Bale, the perfect guy to befriend him and become is room-mate. Bale has broken up with is girlfriend and takes Evan under his wing.

It was a sweet story with moments of humour and some
Brandilyn
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, read-2014
4.5*

Total Immersion was one of the most anticipated Mended stories for me and has become a favorite. I just really liked both Evan and Chris. I liked that they weren’t trying to make more out of their situation than was there. I like that they just started off having fun and ended seeing where the fun could go. I have to admit, the visual of Evan in his bad boy guylinered glory wasn’t a bad one ;)

Find the Full review at Prism Book Alliance http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...
Molli B.
3.5 rounded up. I really like Ellis's stuff. She has an easy way with words, and her stuff is a pleasure to read.

The story was pretty decent. Quick, pretty light. Two college kids on the same trip abroad meet on the plane and become friends. One has chronic pain problems, and the other helps him. They room together and hang out during the trip. Fairly easy story about two guys getting to know each other and falling for one another over the course of a couple of weeks.
Secretly Reading
Even though New Adult is my least favorite romance genre I rather liked this short novella. The khaki wearing lead was a surprise as was how he related to the other lead. Yes it's short and the ending had forced drama but I still enjoyed this story a lot.
Ramsi
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stars
Isha
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish there was more. I wanted to know what happened when they got back and how their relationship turned out. 3.5 stars.
Mary
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very entertaining read...loved it
Aurora
Jun 10, 2014
Jacque
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Total Immersion by Ellis Carrington 1 6 Jun 12, 2014 01:06PM

• In The Wind (Welcome to Alvarado #3)
  • Right Back Where (Welcome to Alvarado, #1)
  • Pilot Light
  • Christmas Wish for Me
  • In the Absence of Light
  • Crossroads
  • He's Behind You!
  • I.N.E.T. (International Narcotics Enforcement & Tracking, #1)
  • Daddy (Endearments, #1)
  • Kitten (Endearments, #2)
  • Champagne Cheers: Holiday Hotties
  • Chance or Fate: on New Year's Eve
  • A Very Special Omega
  • The Ballerino and the Biker (The Hedonist, #1)
  • The Blueprint: MM First Time Football Romance
  • Prior Commitment (Priorities Book 1)
  • Home for Christmas
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
Ellis Carrington was born after the Christmas of 2010 when she was gifted a Kindle and discovered the gay romance category on Amazon that same day. Sometimes her heroes are human and sometimes they aren’t, because angels and vampires deserve love too. Her favorite things are great friends, great music, and books that make her forget the outside world.