Start by marking “My Favorite Year: A Collection of Football Writing” as Want to Read:
My Favorite Year: A Collection of Football Writing

My Favorite Year: A Collection of Football Writing

Roddy Doyle's account of the Republic of Ireland's triumphant journey through Italia '90 is just one of the many first-class pieces in this anthology of original football writing. Contributors include Harry Pearson, Harry Ritchie, Ed Horton, Olly Wicken, D.J. Taylor, Huw Richards, Nick Hornby, Chris Pierson, Matt Nation, Graham Brack, Don Watson, and Giles Smith.
Published August 1st 2001 by Orion Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about My Favorite Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Favorite Year

Arwen56
Questa volta ho proprio sbagliato l'acquisto. Certo, io non amo il calcio e forse avrei dovuto immaginare che non poteva essere un libro adatto a me, ma pensavo che si trattasse di racconti in chiave ironica o spiritosa, in linea con lo stile di Hornby, che ha curato la raccolta. In effetti, qualcuno lo è, ma in linea di massima si parla piuttosto in dettaglio di partite, calciatori, arbitri e punteggi del campionato irlandese o inglese, a me del tutto sconosciuti. Faccio già fatica a ricordarmi ...more
Simon
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
A collection of stories that will resonate with any fan who dimly recalls the origin of their dedication to a single team. Well worth the read.
Nick Davies
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A quick read - several short autobiographical tales by male authors/journalists (mainly) focussing on their experiences as a football supporter. There's a decent range of teams covered - from international to non-league - and stories from the 1960s to the 1990s. There is a quirky added pleasure due to the book having written in 1993.. Chelsea before they were so good, Leeds before they were so crap.

However, the problem is that there isn't much breadth in the style. It's blokes talking about foot
Godzilla
A quirkly little collection of football memoirs, from a diverse group of writers.

The clubs and memories here are, for the most part, lesser known and from a pre-Sky tv era.

It took me back to my first football experiences, standing on terraces, kids being shoved down to the front, so you could see the action, or what passed for action on the muddy quagmires the pitches inevitably were.

Some of the contributors here wouldn't appear out of place in Rain Man, such is their grasp of stats and recall o
David Hogg
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chapters in the lives of ardent football fans are interesting to read if you're a fan yourself. It's comforting to know that you're not the only person prepared to stand in the rain watching eleven people kick a ball around, that you're not the only person who wouldn't trade his first born to be one of those eleven and that you're not the only person whose Sunday mood depends on what happens on the Saturday.

However, as one of the writers commented, it's not as interesting if it's not your club y
Trevor Kew
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kew-nf, kewsport
This is a great read for anyone who loves football. Several well-known writers discuss their favourite teams' most memorable football seasons. Nick Hornby's hilarious story about Cambridge United's losing streak is great, but my favourite has to be Roddy Doyle's account of his "heroic" trip to the toilet that led to Ireland scoring a vital goal against England. The one about Watford is amazing too!
Lloyd
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahead of contributing to a similar style, if slightly lower profile, collection of 'my favourite season' stories I borrowed this from Russell.

It was enjoyable enough; even though the book published almost 20 years ago, it still possesses much currency and certain pieces were an absolute joy to read, particularly Olly Wicken's ballboy-eye view of Watford's 74-75 campaign.

If you collect football literature, then this should be on your shelves.
Gabi
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: popsugar2018
To be fair, I don't suppose I'm the intended audience for this book. I like football, I take great pleasure in a good match, but I'm not what you'd call a fan.
I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection, I liked the nostalgic flavour, but it all got quite repetitive after a while, and I honestly couldn't care less about the lists of names and matches and scores of the seasons covered.
Andy Dale
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: football
My kind of book. My memories of 1990 World Cup are so clear and this really took me back. I felt book was a touch disjointed in places but still portrayed the emotions very well.
Jean Pele
Mar 16, 2019

• Morbo: The story of spanish football
  • Behind the Curtain
  • Calcio: A History of Italian Football
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • Africa United: Soccer, Passion, Politics, and the First World Cup in Africa
  • The World is a Ball: The Joy, Madness and Meaning of Soccer
  • Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game
  • Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World's Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power
  • The Miracle of Castel di Sangro: A Tale of Passion and Folly in the Heart of Italy
  • Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football
  • The Glory Game
  • Bloody Confused!: A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer
  • Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life
  • Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
  • Love and Blood: At the World Cup with the Footballers, Fans, and Freaks
  • The Ball is Round: A Global History of Soccer
  • This Love Is Not For Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez
  • Thirty-One Nil: The Amazing Story of World Cup Qualification
Nick Hornby is the author of the novels A Long Way Down, Slam, How to Be Good, High Fidelity, and About a Boy, and the memoir Fever Pitch. He is also the author of Songbook, a finalist for a National Book Critics Circle Award, Shakespeare Wrote for Money, and The Polysyllabic Spree, as well as the editor of the short-story collection Speaking with the Angel. He is a recipient of the American Acade ...more