Start by marking “Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball: 1” as Want to Read:
Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball: 1

Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball: 1

(Amelia Fang #1)

Audio CD
Published October 5th 2017 by Bolinda audio (first published 2017)

Start your review of Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball: 1
Gavin
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My spoiler-free reading vlog of the entire Amelia Fang series: https://youtu.be/YeypPeXDGho

Oh this was so much FUN! The Nightmare Before Christmas meets The Addams Family.

Amelia Fang is a vampire who lives in Nocturnia, a world where vampires and yetis and all sorts of spooky creatures live - and theyre terrified of unicorns and ladybirds and fairies - and with good reason too. The glitter? THE HORROR!

In the first Amelia Fang story, Amelias family is preparing for the Barbaric Ball and this
Susan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first in a new series has a very attractive cover, which is sure to appeal to fans of books, such as Witch Wars. It has twenty short chapters, is just over 200 pages long and is packed with black and white illustrations. As such it will appeal to confident readers, who are ready to embark on slightly longer books.

The front of the book has a double page map of Nocturnia, the City in the Kingdom of the Dark, complete with Nocturnia Palace, the Fang Mansion, Rickety Residences, Catacome
Lena
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, own-e-copy
"Amelia and her friends loved reading stories about the Creatures of the Light: the gruesome glittery unicorns (Nocturnians were TERRIFIED of glitter), the evil sparkly fairies and the cute and fluffy angel-kittens of terror. It was the stuff of daymares. Everyone knew that while Nocturnians were sleeping and the sun was out, terrifying creatures from the nearby Kingdom of the Light lurked around the Petrified Forest. Nocturnians didn't dare step outside again until nightfall, if the could help ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Set in Nocturnia, Amelia and the rest of the Fang family are preparing to host the latest Barbaric ball the only annual event in Nocturnal only this time, the king and prince are attending too.

Ahead of time Amelia has to show the prince around her school where he acts very stuffily towards them all and when he has dinner with the whole family pre barbaric ball, he acts entitled and ends up taking Amelia's Squashy, her friend!

Amelia sets off determined to retrieve Squashy away from the awful
Lisaswestcoastreads
I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
This book was fantastic and I laughed from start to finish. Great use of alliteration throughout. Loved the spoilt Prince Tangine ans the side characters. Amelia and her pet Squashy were so cute fantastic illustrations of all the characters too.
Kristina
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adorable <3
Ken
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming read for people of all ages this Halloween.

I became aware of this book due to it being part of Waterstones recommendations this month (and I'm always taking advantage of their 'buy one get a second half price' deal), their was just something about the cover that jumped out at me.

I found the story very entertaining and has tons of funny gags , the diePhone practically appealed to me.

The book is scattered with loads of lovely illustrations too, I felt the story also offers some
Kelly
Amelia Fang is doing her best to be nice to the Prince of Nocturnia but when he is so mean, not only to her but her friends Florence the Yeti and Grimaldi the Reaper, she struggles to keep being the friendliest vampire around!

Amelia Fang And The Barbaric Ball is the first children's book that talented and familiar illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson has both written and illustrated and it is going to absolutely delight kids with its laugh out loud humour and description of the creatures living in
Robin Stevens
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, punny and brilliantly illustrated, this is a charming and madcap Halloween adventure that will make every reader want a pet pumpkin of their own! 7+

Connie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My homework for October. This is a cute wee book filled with dark delights and fabulous illustrations. Amelia and her friends live in Nocturnia where all things glittery are the stuff of 'daymares'. The little horrors are going to devour this book.
Nicole M. Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book introduces us to the spooky cast of charactersAmelia (the vampire) and her friends (a Yeti, a grim reaper, and her pet pumpkin). Like I said, its really impressive how well Anderson managed to merge creepy and cute. These books sort of remind me of Monster High for younger kids. Theres lots of play on words and gross-out foods and other fun details that kids will love. The story revolves around Amelia, whos
Laura D
Fangtastic!

Set in Nocturnia, a world where darkness rules and glittery stuff is scary. Amelia Fang, a vampire, is not looking forward to the Barbaric Ball her mother is hosting as its super boring and full of adults. This ball will be different though as the King of Nocturnia is attending with his son Tangine. To make it even worst Tangine has just started attending Amelias school and she must show him around. On top of that he is obnoxious, spoilt, mean to Amelia and her friends and has stolen
Hélène Louise
A very sweet and malicious story with an adorable pacific little vampire girl and her very very cute pet-pumpkin! The inversion of point of view (daytime is so scary with its abominable monsters as kittens and unicorns!)
The story deals prettily about friendship and first impressions, and rather deeply about neglecting parents, without being depressing.
Not to forget the illustrations which are wonderful!
I've bought the sequels and will be happy to read them soon :)
Tammie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read- March 2020
- This was such a fun start to this series, I'm hoping to read them all this month for Middle Grade March.
Tiffany
This was really cute and a book I wish was around when I was a kid. I love that she has a pumpkin as a pet. I definately am curious to read more. The idea of creatures of Dark and Light is intriguing for a middle grade book.
Laura Noakes
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This was a tremendously fun read! It was hilarious (The GBBO reference got me!), and I really enjoyed the themes of friendship. The illustrations were GORGEOUS, and I think the concept and world was richly imagined and brilliantly executed. Would thoroughly rec this for early middle grade readers, and I can't wait to read the next one!
Kelly
Are you looking for the perfect Halloween, spooky read for your young ones? If so, then look no further! Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball is the PERFECT creepy read for the youngsters this Halloween.

Amelia Fang is no ordinary girl. She is a vampire and her best friends are Florence, a rare breed of yeti, and Grimaldi, a young Grim Reaper in training. Not to forget her absolutely adorable sidekick Squashy the pumpkin. Amelias parents are hosting the annual Barbaric Ball and the King and his son,
Mehsi
A vampire girl, a pumpkin, an annoying prince, lots of icky food (at least for us humans), and a Barbaric Ball!

So I was really excited about this book, I love Laura Ellen Anderson's work, and I was just delighted that she would also be writing (and illustrating) books like this.

This review may be a bit chaotic, I am quite tired, but I do want to write a review, because I really love this book.

Meet Amelia Fang, she is a vampire and has a little pet pumpkin named Squashy (who is super-adorable
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
This book was quite different to my expectations of it, but I still liked the story as a whole. It`s about Amelia Fang, who lives in a fictional world called Nocturnia, as her family are arranging the Barbaric Ball and manage to draw out the king and his son from their palace for the first time in years. Amelia was an enjoyable heroine, her friends Florence and Grimaldi were both very distinct and unique, and the supporting characters such as Amelia`s family or butler Woo were great too. My ...more
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
In Amelia's kingdom of Nocturnia, everyone fears the evil Creatures of the Light: unicorns, kittens, fairies, etc. all the while chowing down on food items made of pus, scabs, and sweat. Amelia's mother is planning the gala event of the year and the kingdom is excited that Prince Tangine is attending. However, Tangine turns out to be a bratty cross between Draco Malfoy and Veruca Salt. All of the adults in this story are pretty dismal at parenting. Amelia discovers that Tangine's absent mother ...more
Atalinay
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2020_read
This was a really fun book! I didnt expect much from it except for it to be a whimsical middle grade, and it was better than expected. I loved the characters and the story was fun. I think it sets up for interesting stuff.

I do find a small spoilery gripe. (view spoiler)
Teri B
Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook and I think the narrator does a very good job with narrating this story and the voices she gives to the various characters.

You have some representation ongoing as one of the female characters has a very loud and rumbling voice, and one of the boys has a very fine, delicate voice.

Apart from that, I felt disappointed when I came to realise that this story is another of these stories where the girl has to understand how badly treated the boy has been and all he really
Rebecca Rouillard
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming tale for young readers about a vampire, her pals (a junior grim reaper and an extremely rare yeti) and her pet pumpkin - Squashy. Along the same lines as Goth Girl. I love the fact that the most terrifying thing Amelia and her friends can imagine is a unicorn!
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustration style and mix of characters, something Id definitely recommend to friendss children ...more
Jenni
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pet pumpkins, bad puns, GBBO references and glitterfobia... what more could you want? A great read for 5-8 year olds, or even older. Whimsical, funny and silly (in a good way)!
Mrs G
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny story with fab illustrations perfect for autumn. 8 years+
Jeanette
A fun read-a-loud for the month of October. Admittedly, my kids enjoyed it much more than I did and they are looking forward to reading the next book in the series when it comes out in a few months.
Anna Davidson
A super fun Junior Fiction series about vampires, ghosts and fairies. This series has a bit of everything - adventure, friendship, mystery. Great illustrations as well.
Geoff Lynas
This is a beautifully produced book. Lavishly illustrated by the author. A fun story. All of the characters are very sweet - including the baddie. Laura has created a quirky world which allows her full rein on funny, vile and disgustingly funny detail. A great book to read to your younger kids (5-7, maybe even a bit younger). Recommended.
Jenn
This was ADORABLE!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Land of Roar
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Isadora Moon Has a Birthday (Isadora Moon, #4)
  • Isadora Moon Goes to the Ballet (Isadora Moon, #2)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Isadora Moon Goes Camping (Isadora Moon, #3)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Good Dog McTavish
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Captain Rosalie
  • Douglas
  • Isadora Moon Goes to School (Isadora Moon, #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • I, Cosmo
  • The Last Human
  • Rymlingarna
Laura Ellen Anderson is the illustrator of several books for children, as well as the author-illustrator of the graphic novel Evil Emperor Penguin. Laura Ellen Anderson lives in London.

Amelia Fang (5 books)
  • Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords
  • Amelia Fang and the Memory Thief
  • Amelia Fang and the Half-Moon Holiday (The Amelia Fang Series)
  • Amelia Fang, Books 1 and 2: Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball; Amelia Fang and the Unicorns of Glitteropolis