Start by marking “A Lady's Desire (The Townsends, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
A Lady's Desire (The Townsends, #2.5)

A Lady's Desire

(The Townsends #2.5)

Lady Sarah Lark has never had much interest in any of the suitors that surround her. She’s decided that, instead of choosing a husband, she’ll save her pin money and travel like she’s always wanted to. However, her plans are interrupted when her family invites her cousin’s widow, Winifred Wakefield, to stay with them.

Winifred and Sarah used to be best friends, but after W
Published December 3rd 2018

K.J. Charles
Feb 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: f-f, regency
A sweet and moderately hot f/f historical novella which takes on the difficulty of two gently bred women making a life together in a world that expects them to marry. The characters are lovely and the writing fluent; the historical detail and atmosphere is a bit shonky at points but f/f historical is a rare thing so hey.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
4.5 stars.

One of the best historical romance novellas that I have read. Its predecessor, The Rogue's Conquest, put me on reading Cloud Nine, but A Lady's Desire flew me to the moon.

I may or may not be a little bit biased because stories of unrealized love are my catnip. But the longing? Friends, it hurt so good. The pain and jealousy and regret were perfectly tempered by the passion and tenderness and hope. Amid the mending of bruised hearts and a broken friendship, Sarah and Win fought to begi
Amanda
All I want for Christmas is more F/F historicals as quality as this one.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A Lady's Desire's biggest problem is that I wanted MORE.

I really like Lily Maxton, who takes real chances and thinks out side the box with her historical romance. I admire that in her, and I was SUPER excited to read her F/F offering.

I'll admit that F/F is the QUILTBAG genre that I struggle with the most. I have a really hard time finding non-contemporary romances in the lesfic arena (I'm not a contemp fan), so my history with lesfic is checkered at best.

However, Lily Maxton deliver
Jacob Proffitt
This is part of a series, but I haven't read the others and didn't feel the lack. So I can say it stands pretty well on its own.

I needed something short and light and different (because I was in a mood) when this crossed my radar. And I'm glad I took it up. Both the setting and relationship are fairly constrained in time and place (though with some flashbacks) so the length was just about right and the relationship was very well done. Maxton did an outstanding job with both main characters and t
Flor
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This was so lovely and sweet with the perfect amount of angst. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer 💜
Andrea
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a f/f novella in this series???? HOW DID I NOT KNOW????

Ok. Deep breath…

This was really lovely! A bit short (the declaration of love came a bit suddenly, but given that they'd known each other all their lives, it worked for me), but a nice story about two best friends who lost touch after one of them got married and try get to know each other again now that one of them is a widow. I liked Lady Sarah in the previous story in the series, and it was nice to see her get her own story. She is
Jenia
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first f/f romance book and it was so cute!!!
Ashley Owens
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not enough steam, but it was nice to have a historical romance with F/F romance
Sophie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely piece of historical f/f fiction - something that I have had difficulty finding in the past, so that was a happy change. Lily Maxton's name was mentioned on quite a few Best of 18 lists, so I decided to check her out, and I'm glad I did.

I enjoyed it a lot, even though its plausibility was more along the lines of Cat Sebastian's works rather than K.J. Charles's. There's been a lot debate regarding the importance of historical accuracy when it comes to historical romance that is *
Helen Kord
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the f/f historical romance I was craving.
Beautiful, soft story, with strong, resilient heroines, strong friendships, scientist women. Childhood friends reunited after years, slow-burn rekindling of their friendship and love. Women who go after what they want and need and won't let anyone stop them, without the quirky ahistorical "society can fuck off I'm not like other girls!" shtick a lot of historicals have. It's just absolutely beautiful and I read it in one sitting. If you've
Monica
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adored this!

This is exactly the f/f histrom that I've been looking for! Sweetness, scientifically inclined and independent ladies. Easily one of my top reads of the year.
Isabeau Delaunay
This was delightful! And short enough to read in less than a day, which is what I did. Everyone who says this is the sweet, sexy f/f historical romance you've been waiting for is right. (And hat tip to another fantastic author, Amy Jo Cousins, whose tweet about this book turned me on to it.)

Childhood friends Winifred (Win) and Sarah are back in touch again - Win is staying temporarily in Sarah's home after her husband, Sarah's cousin, passed away. When they were young, Win was slightly less wel
Rhode
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
I liked it. The two heroines were well drawn, interesting characters and you could feel their pull. Also, the story acknowledged how hard things might be economically for two women, although we didn’t see how deciding not to marry affected them in society.

I’d give it four stars but a couple of times in the middle we were shunted back to their past, when we could already infer the gist of what we’d learn there. It’s a storytelling structure I never like.

That said, it’s awfully nice to have a le
Tori
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Very well done historical f/f!!
herdys
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish we had more f/f stories, historical or not, as good as this one! Thanks again Amanda por recommending it! 💕
Iona Sharma
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Sweet, goodhearted romance with two very likeable main characters. It has very little feel for the time and place -- which is allegedly the Scottish Regency - but honestly I don't mind that much, for a such a lovely f/f romance.
Adrienne
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
It's good

The writing style was not for me. The transitions from present to past were sloppy and a little jarring. I also thought there was no reason to show both characters past perspectives if the same event. It felt like some clunky writing and the dialogue was not smooth. However, despite the writing structure, I did enjoy the story a lot and I found the characters charming if a bit too similar in tone to differentiate throughout the novella. With a bit editing this could be amazing.
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
This was so sweet! And with a dash of angst! I'll forgive it being a bit unrealistic; (view spoiler). But overall, I really enjoyed watching Win and Sarah discover themselves and patch up their hurt. Would have liked it to be longer, and maybe with more about building up Win's self-esteem (there is a reference to her being plump that never got expanded on, too). And I loved t ...more
Amanda
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, romance
This is the first book I've read by Maxton, and I tried to read it slowly to stretch it out, because I really enjoyed it. Friends-to-lovers, the hurt that can come with close friendships and slow burn is my jam, and this novella did not disappoint. (I still keep thinking of a line about "sun-warmed honey.")

I really hope Maxton writes more F/F historical fiction.
Caroline Duvezin
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely f/f historical (which is so very rare...or maybe I'm not looking in the right places). I don't actually know if their chosen professions would allow them to live decently at the time but I don't really care, yay for girls making their own happiness <3 and repenting families!
K.B. Rainwater
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Utterly sweet and enchanting

The two main characters were incredibly vibrant, their emotions seeming to leap off the page. I quite enjoyed every bit of this story.
Skye Kilaen
An F/F historical romance that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, yay! :) Full review later.
Diana
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, romance, quiltbag
Lush, steamy, and so satisfying. Maxton's gorgeous prose perfectly complements this historical tale of friendship, identity, and growth.
Betsy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
An historical with a tiny amount of angst.
Neveah
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that was super fluffy and incredibly endearing. I worked really hard today so this was exactly what I needed; completely brainless romance. Nicely paced and some cute sexy time in a bath.
Alyssa Lentz
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, kindle
I saw some really glowing reviews for this on Twitter and got it since it was on sale and was so surprised and thrilled it was as excellent as everyone said. A lovely little one-off with characters you really feel for and a plotline that you feel invested in the whole way through. I'd love to find more historical romances that are this engaging and well-done.
Larisa
Jan 19, 2019
Jan 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: romance, queer-reads
I really wanted to like this because there is so little f/f historical out there, but it fell short for me. I think this mostly had to do with the novella form--sometimes I love romance novellas, but in this case it felt like an outline, and not a book. There was so little character development and everything happened so fast that I just couldn't get into it. If this had been a full length novel, and Maxton had allowed her characters time to find their way to each other again, I would have thoro ...more
Kara Jorgensen
Dec 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Lily Maxton grew up in the Midwest, reading, writing, and daydreaming amidst cornfields. After graduating with a degree in English, she decided to put her natural inclinations to good use and embark on a career as a writer.

When she’s not working on a new story, she likes to tour old houses, add to her tea stash, and think of reasons to avoid housework.

The Townsends (6 books)
  • Enchanting the Earl (The Townsends, #1)
  • The Rogue's Conquest  (The Townsends, #2)
  • A Scot's Surrender (The Townsends, #3)
  • Highland Haunting: A Halloween Story (The Townsends, #3.5)
  • Claiming The Highlander's Heart (The Townsends, #4)