Start by marking “A Lady's Desire (The Townsends, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
A Lady's Desire (The Townsends, #2.5)

A Lady's Desire

(The Townsends #2.5)

Lady Sarah Lark has never had much interest in any of the suitors that surround her. She’s decided that, instead of choosing a husband, she’ll save her pin money and travel like she’s always wanted to. However, her plans are interrupted when her family invites her cousin’s widow, Winifred Wakefield, to stay with them.

Winifred and Sarah used to be best friends, but after
Published December 3rd 2018

Start your review of A Lady's Desire (The Townsends, #2.5)
K.J. Charles
Feb 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: regency, f-f
A sweet and moderately hot f/f historical novella which takes on the difficulty of two gently bred women making a life together in a world that expects them to marry. The characters are lovely and the writing fluent; the historical detail and atmosphere is a bit shonky at points but f/f historical is a rare thing so hey.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
4.5 stars.

One of the best historical romance novellas that I have read. Its predecessor, The Rogue's Conquest, put me on reading Cloud Nine, but A Lady's Desire flew me to the moon.

I may or may not be a little bit biased because stories of unrealized love are my catnip. But the longing? Friends, it hurt so good. The pain and jealousy and regret were perfectly tempered by the passion and tenderness and hope. Amid the mending of bruised hearts and a broken friendship, Sarah and Win fought to begi
Skye Kilaen
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mini-review of this f/f historical romance that made me happy (yes I included emojis but I have no idea under what conditions Goodreads will actually show them to you haha oh well):
😬 childhood friends reunited… but it’s complicated
👩‍🔬 gal science enthusiasts
✖️ “No thank you to marrying a dude, I am otherwise occupied. Like, forever.”
💜 gentle with its characters

If you haven't tried it out, give it a whirl!
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
rep: lesbian mc, bi or pan mc, f/f romance

- I wish I wasn't in the worst review slump so I could write a proper one and help get this out there
- I'm notorious for hating the way historical romances are written but this was so easy for me to read (maybe because it wasn't so "women are oppressed!!!!!! WOMEN ARE OPPRESSED!!!!!!" and just in your face with all the historical references/lingo?)
- There was literally no homophobia and the only disapproval about their relationship was the fact that Wi
Somia
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Lovely Little Morsel

Lady Sarah Lark has never had much interest in any of the suitors that surround her, she’s determined to persuade her father to allow her to travel as she has always desired to do. However, when her best-friend now widowed - Winifred (Win) Wakefield, returns, her focus shifts somewhat and long buried feelings, never truly acknowledged by either side, refuse to stay buried.

After Win married Sarah’s cousin and moved to London, their friendship fell apart, the letters they se
Alexis
Are you surprised I'm reading a historical romance? No? Well I am. I normally avoid these types of books because of the way women were treated back in the olden days. However, this little nugget of Victorian sapphic delight had me turning the pages as fast as I could. And all because of Lady Sarah Lark.

This headstrong woman and her love for Win had me swooning away during a certain scene involving a bathtub. I'm pretty sure every window and mirror fogged up during that scene. Having said that, i
Farah
I really don't think I'll be able to explain why this story evoked such a deep, wide range of emotions. The characters, their story, their determination to live their lives in peace, their incredible strength and their pride. It was their unwillingness to allow others to break them, their ability to find happiness in the smallest things. But most importantly, it was what they found in each other; someone to share with. To share the work, the heartache, the joy, the secrets they'd kept buried for ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, steamy
This is part of a series, but I haven't read the others and didn't feel the lack. So I can say it stands pretty well on its own.

I needed something short and light and different (because I was in a mood) when this crossed my radar. And I'm glad I took it up. Both the setting and relationship are fairly constrained in time and place (though with some flashbacks) so the length was just about right and the relationship was very well done. Maxton did an outstanding job with both main characters and t
Silvia
Ohhh I really liked this! The second chance romance was cute and hot. I also absolutely LOVE science ladies in my historical fiction and this novella definitely delivered on that front too!

I normally don't read a lot of historical romance because I find it a bit hard to read sometimes, but this one was really easy. A little too easy, and the dialogue especially felt wayyy too modern and I almost didn't feel like this was historical at all. This was the only flaw though and not necessarily someth
Amanda
All I want for Christmas is more F/F historicals as quality as this one.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A Lady's Desire's biggest problem is that I wanted MORE.

I really like Lily Maxton, who takes real chances and thinks out side the box with her historical romance. I admire that in her, and I was SUPER excited to read her F/F offering.

I'll admit that F/F is the QUILTBAG genre that I struggle with the most. I have a really hard time finding non-contemporary romances in the lesfic arena (I'm not a contemp fan), so my history with lesfic is checkered at best.

However, Lily Maxton deliver
yvee
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BITCH THIS WAS EVERYTHING!!!!!! thank you lesbians.
Flor
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This was so lovely and sweet with the perfect amount of angst. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer 💜
Gooner Lawrence
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
"It's like I knew I loved you and it's started when we were younger"
My first of this premise and I wasn't dissapointed maybe because there wasn't alot of history clouded with war and descriptions of that era just a mention how things were, what was expected of women and am happy that Sarah broke the mould and the Earl love her daughter enough to come around.
I love Sarah and Win connection, it's like it was always there, when the MCs connect the chemistry is just flawless.
This was short, precise
mina reads™️
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, wlw
wanderer (Para)
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to wanderer (Para) by: Jenia
"I keep telling myself that we're not—not like we used to be," she said quietly. Win's chest pinched suddenly. "But then you'll say something that makes me want to laugh, and it's like nothing has changed between us, even after all this time."
Sweet, adorable f/f romance novella about a rekindled friendship that turns out to be something more and struggling against society that wants them to marry. One of the things I like about queer historical romance is people finding happiness in love ag
Andrea
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a f/f novella in this series???? HOW DID I NOT KNOW????

Ok. Deep breath…

This was really lovely! A bit short (the declaration of love came a bit suddenly, but given that they'd known each other all their lives, it worked for me), but a nice story about two best friends who lost touch after one of them got married and try get to know each other again now that one of them is a widow. I liked Lady Sarah in the previous story in the series, and it was nice to see her get her own story. She is
Jenia
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first f/f romance book and it was so cute!!!
Ashley Owens
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
Not enough steam, but it was nice to have a historical romance with F/F romance
Sophie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f
This was a lovely piece of historical f/f fiction - something that I have had difficulty finding in the past, so that was a happy change. Lily Maxton's name was mentioned on quite a few Best of 18 lists, so I decided to check her out, and I'm glad I did.

I enjoyed it a lot, even though its plausibility was more along the lines of Cat Sebastian's works rather than K.J. Charles's. There's been a lot debate regarding the importance of historical accuracy when it comes to historical romance that is *
Anwen Hayward
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, tiny-books
I'm a complete fiend for a good novella, and A Lady's Desire absolutely fits the bill. Although it's technically an installment in a (largely cishet) romance series, it works just fine as a standalone; I've only read one other work in the series and it didn't impact on my enjoyment of it at all.

At its heart, this is quite simply a sweet love story between two ladies. Once the very best of childhood friends, Sarah and Win have grown apart since Win left town to marry Sarah's cousin. After the dea
- ̗̀luciana  ̖́-
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i love happy couples and i love sapphics so this is a 5 star book to me
Helen Kord
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the f/f historical romance I was craving.
Beautiful, soft story, with strong, resilient heroines, strong friendships, scientist women. Childhood friends reunited after years, slow-burn rekindling of their friendship and love. Women who go after what they want and need and won't let anyone stop them, without the quirky ahistorical "society can fuck off I'm not like other girls!" shtick a lot of historicals have. It's just absolutely beautiful and I read it in one sitting. If you've
Monica
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adored this!

This is exactly the f/f histrom that I've been looking for! Sweetness, scientifically inclined and independent ladies. Easily one of my top reads of the year.
aarya
Sweet novella, but I do think it needed to be a little longer because they jumped right into the relationship without warning and that part could have been longer. Still, it’s lovely and I need to read more of Maxton.
Isabeau Delaunay
This was delightful! And short enough to read in less than a day, which is what I did. Everyone who says this is the sweet, sexy f/f historical romance you've been waiting for is right. (And hat tip to another fantastic author, Amy Jo Cousins, whose tweet about this book turned me on to it.)

Childhood friends Winifred (Win) and Sarah are back in touch again - Win is staying temporarily in Sarah's home after her husband, Sarah's cousin, passed away. When they were young, Win was slightly less wel
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
A light, gentle but sexy f/f historical, about childhood friends who learn to understand the nature of their strong feelings for one another.

Sarah and Win were inseparable as teenagers but Win’s early marriage to Sarah’s cousin cooled their friendship. Now, nearly 10 years later, Win is widowed and has fallen back on Sarah’s family for support. Thrown together as adults they find themselves mutually captivated. But what do their feelings mean?

The historical elements of this are clunky, but the
Rhode
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
I liked it. The two heroines were well drawn, interesting characters and you could feel their pull. Also, the story acknowledged how hard things might be economically for two women, although we didn’t see how deciding not to marry affected them in society.

I’d give it four stars but a couple of times in the middle we were shunted back to their past, when we could already infer the gist of what we’d learn there. It’s a storytelling structure I never like.

That said, it’s awfully nice to have a le
Em
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, f-f
Excellent novella - the childhood friends/crushes reunited trope works really well with the book length. I haven't read the others in the series and this stands alone. I loved how passionate both women were, and how firmly Sarah took her life in her own hands. Do rec!
herdys
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish we had more f/f stories, historical or not, as good as this one! Thanks again Amanda por recommending it! 💕
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • How to Talk to Nice English Girls
  • Proper English
  • My Lady's Lover (Surrey SFS, #1)
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • The Craft of Love
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
  • My Lord, Lady, and Gentleman (Surrey SFS #3)
Lily Maxton grew up in the Midwest, reading, writing, and daydreaming amidst cornfields. After graduating with a degree in English, she decided to put her natural inclinations to good use and embark on a career as a writer.

When she’s not working on a new story, she likes to tour old houses, add to her tea stash, and think of reasons to avoid housework.

The Townsends (6 books)
  • Enchanting the Earl (The Townsends, #1)
  • The Rogue's Conquest  (The Townsends, #2)
  • A Scot's Surrender (The Townsends, #3)
  • Highland Haunting: A Halloween Story (The Townsends, #3.5)
  • Claiming The Highlander's Heart (The Townsends, #4)