Start by marking “To je Irsko” as Want to Read:
To je Irsko

To je Irsko

(This is...)

Irsko. Na tomhle ostrově najdete všechny odstíny zelené. A taky nejstarší palírnu whiskey, schodiště, které postavil obr, skřítky a asi největší koncentraci hospod i čtyřlístků na světě. Aspoň tak to před víc než půlstoletím viděl Miroslav Šašek. Vedle světových metropolí – Paříže, New Yorku, Londýna – portrétoval Miroslav Šašek také země. Irsko jej uchvátilo a ve svém prů ...more
Published 2018 by Baobab (first published February 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about To je Irsko, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To je Irsko

Kathryn
4.5 STARS. This is the first of Sasek's books I've read, though I've known about them ever since seeing them tantalizingly displayed (full price, alas!) at a bookstore in Ashland, OR last summer. I'm certainly going to read more!!!

This is like a mini-travel guide or illustrated snapshots of Ireland in condensed form--nods to people and places, country and city, restaurants and relics. I love that it feels at once wonderfully, warmly nostalgic and yet still inspires contemporary dreams of the cou
Alice
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars Of all the books in this series...this is the one I want to go back and study and see real pictures! I could be that I am 29% Irish, It could be that I am planning a major Trip to Ireland but I really enjoyed it! I love Ireland and the 24 hours I spent in Dublin and County Wicklow just wet my appetite! It could be that we just had St Patrick's day but I am taking this one home to look at! :-)
Slávek Rydval
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Na této knize není (pro mě) ani tak důležitý text, jako jsou ilustrace. Až na pár z nich jsem si vždy řekl: ale vždyť to znám, já tam byl. A já tam chci zase!
Arthur
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The hell with the risk of coming across as an overrater. I'm dealing out another 5 stars. If only to keep the average rating of this book at the maximum. I'm not going to be the one to bring this average down.
Highlights of this volume of Sasek's series of picture book guides to interesting places include the two page spread of Pontoon, the idyllic pictures of 'subtropical' Glengarriff, and the view of O'Connoll Street (twelve lanes full of cars). But my favourite is the two-page spread of an Ir
Lenny Husen
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up this book in the book store, I was confused, and thought it was a brand new book and almost didn't buy it. But then I looked to see when it was first published.

It was actually written and illustrated in the 1960's, and a friend and admirer of the author reprinted it.
The book is dated, but that's what makes it so wonderful. It is utterly charming. Can't wait to get other books he wrote for my children's book collection.
Molly
This book is great, and I'd love to read the others like it. It gives just enough detail for learning a lot without getting bored.
Robin
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming old fashioned illustrations that never lose their appeal. A bit dated but still highly readable.
Rebekah
Not for little listeners. A bit dry and no help with pronunciation. This is San Francisco was a more interesting read, or maybe easier, especially for young children.
Roger
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Makes me want to visit Ireland again.
Trish
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, je
Lots of facts about Ireland.
Kl
We really enjoyed this book. Showed us lots of places and people and got us excited for where our trip will begin.
Anne
Gorgeous illustrations but not the most interesting text for little listeners. Definitely K and older.
Gretchen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a charming book about the Emerald Isle. I enjoy reading both children’s books from past decades and geography. It made me want to travel to Ireland back to 1964. It is cute when there is a spread that says Ireland has lots of green. I also could not help staring at the illustration of the stunning Trinity College Library - one of the items on my bucket list as well as the Blarney Stone, Bunratty Castle, and Ashford Castle. The only time I have ever set foot in Ireland was unfortunately for ...more
Johanna
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for kids especially before an Ireland trip
Mallory
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-and-ya
Beautiful!
Melki
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's some marvelously hip artwork in this brief history and tour of some of the Emerald Isle's most famous landmarks.

description

Originally published in 1964, I'm not sure how much of the information remains relevant . . .

Did you know that in Dublin during the early sixties, there were 166 churches and 700 pubs?

description

I found this on my local library's shelf, but I've got to get my own copy . . . and the rest of Sasek's travel series!

Siskiyou-Suzy
This series is pretty cool, but they can be sort of boring to read front-to-back as they are rather long and there's not much fun text. The illustrations are very lovely though, and I like the general overview it gives. I love the greenness of this one in particular; Ireland!
Andrea
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my first through fourth graders and they all loved it!
Kidsathearttoys
Dec 28, 2014
Jo.
Mar 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Miroslav Sasek (1916-1980) is an author and illustrator from Czechoslovakia. He is best known for a series of books for children titled This Is...

This is... (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • This Is Paris