Start by marking “Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
Small Spaces

Small Spaces

(Small Spaces #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  12,104 ratings  ·  2,761 reviews
When eleven-year-old Ollie lost her mother in a plane crash, she sought solace in her books. So when she stumbles upon a distraught woman standing on the banks of the river intent on throwing a book into the water, Ollie stops her, steals the book and rides away on her bike. Upon reading, Ollie discovers a chilling ghost story about a girl, Elizabeth Morrison, who is being ...more
Audiobook, 6 pages
Published September 25th 2018 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about Small Spaces, please sign up.
Katherine Arden
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  12,104 ratings  ·  2,761 reviews

Start your review of Small Spaces
Hannah
Apr 10, 2018 marked it as to-read-unowned  ·  review of another edition
I would read Katherine Arden's shopping list if she published it.
Melanie

ARC given to me by a confirmed angel, Lilly at Lair of Books, which I will cherish and love forever!

You might get to know characters in books, Ollie thought, but getting to know a human was an entirely different thing.

Small Spaces is Katherine Ardens debut middle grade novel and I loved it so very much friends. Many of you know that The Bear and the Nightingale is one of my favorite books of all-time, and even though these stories are nothing like one another, the beautiful writing, amazing
emma
If you see me at your local farm, orchard, pumpkin patch, county fair, or other vaguely agricultural gathering place looking scared out of my pants, mind your business. Im in recovery.

This book is SCARY!!!!

I see your illogical fear of clowns and Ill do you one better: scarecrows.

I mean, scare is in the name. So it automatically makes more sense.

By far the scariest part of this was between the beginning and the climax, when scary things have started to happen but there are no answers.

Horror
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
What fun!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
megs_bookrack
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Small Spaces is an utterly charming, totally creepy Middle Grade story. I was so impressed with this!

A great introduction to the Horror genre for younger readers. I also feel it is an excellent book to read while we transition into the Spooky season.

This entire book is steeped in chilly Fall vibes!

After Ollie's Mom dies in a tragic accident, she copes by immersing herself within the pages of her books.

Returning home from school one day, she stumbles upon a distraught woman, talking nonsense,
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Unfortunately this one didnt really do much for me :( it was fine, but it definitely didnt live up to the hopes I had for it. Womp. ...more
Betsy
In fourth grade I sold my soul to the Scholastic Book Clubs Apple paperbacks. There was only one thing in the entire world I ever wanted to read, at that point. Only one thing that could make my little heart go pitter-pat, and that was the comforting presence of ghost stories. This was long before Bob Stine decided to slap an R.L. in front of his last name and stake a claim in the world of G-rated horror fare. But it was also long after John Bellairs made it his business to truck in the middle ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Avoid large places at night. Keep to small.

Its an ambiguous but ominous warning that Ollie Adler gets from two different people and an old book. But why?

Olivia (Ollie), age 11, is having a tough time dealing with a recent personal tragedy, and getting sympathetic looks from her father and teacher only makes it worse. Shes withdrawn from activities like the softball team and chess club that she once loved. Ollie still finds comfort in books, though, so
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to the G.P. Putnam's Sons for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

When the mist rises, and the Smiling Man comes walking, you must avoid large places at night. Keep to small.

Have you ever heard of the Scoville Scale? It is the scale that measures the spicy-ness of a food. Mainly peppers. With the lowest pepper, the Bell Pepper, all the way to the hottest, the Carolina Reaper 💀, the Scoville Scale has a variety of hotness. I feel like this reflects on horror books as
sarah xoxo
Wherever you go in this big, gorgeous, hideous world, there is a ghost story waiting for you.

Guys. Guys. I loved this book so so much! I have recently been on a spooky middle grade kick and this one was undoubtably my favourite out of them all. Small Spaces is my first Katherine Arden, but will not be last. I am now doubly as excited to try out her Winternight series.

This book follows 11 year old Ollie, who spots a woman about to throw an old book in the water. As any good book lover would do,
Shruti
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When the mist rises, and the smiling man comes walking, you must avoid large places at night.
Keep to small."

Small Spaces was my first Katherine Arden book and I loved it! At first I was skeptical because this is her middle grade debut novel but once I started to read, all my reservations about the book disappeared. Quoting C. S. Lewis, A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." Fortunately, Small Spaces proves to be that amazing
jade
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the goosebumps series & atmospheric middle-grade horror
Recommended to jade by: Shannon
you dont waste october sunshine. soon the old autumn sun would bed down in cloud blankets, and there would be weeks of gray rain before it finally decided to snow.

eleven-year-old ollie is not having the best time of her life at school. she gets into fights, her classmates are annoying, and most of all school is keeping her from finishing a thoroughly spooky book shes gotten her hands on.

but then, when her class goes out to a local farm on a school trip, ollie is forced to face the fact that
jenny✨
a delightfully spooky halloween storyi only wish that ollie hadn't been so insufferable at the start (is that too mean to say about an 11yo??)

PETITION FOR COCO TO NARRATE THE NEXT BOOK!!

◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻

the purples in this cover speak to my soul
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
Oh yeah, baby, bring it on! Everyday is a good day to read some spooky, cozy, Halloween kid's book 🎃

Ollie is an 11-year-old girl who recently lost her mom and lives with the her pie-baking, sock-kitting, sweetest dad in the world. She is extremely clever, plays chess like a pro, and reads like an adult. One day, going home from school, she sees a crying woman trying to toss a book in the river. Ollie, being a young bookworm, is horrified by the idea to throw a book away, so takes it from her
K. Elizabeth
Actual: 3.5 / 5

This was my first Katherine Arden novel, and it did not disappoint! I love how unique this was and how much I related to Ollie and her love of reading (amongst other things). Reading this made me feel all nostalgic for whatever reason, too which was great.

For such a short novel, so many things happened. But thats to be expected from a Childrens book, since it allows their imagination to take over. That being said, it leaves a lot to be desired for someone like me who loves loads
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
"Avoid large places. Keep to small."

Why haven't I read anything sooner by this incredible author? This book was perfection.  It was heartfelt, had great characters and most importantly - was actually spooky! It's the perfect Halloween read, or if you are like me, it's a perfect all-year round read.

Middle-grade horror is probably my favorite for this category.  As much as I love fantasy, I tend to seek out the horror even more in middle-grade.  It's so much stronger than it is in YA
Joey Rambles
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Shelves: favorites-2018
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, this is one of the scariest MG novels I've ever read.

Second, there is a possibility that this book might not get the same attention as something like City of Ghosts, which is a shame, because while I liked that novel, this one is an absolute gem and deserves to be treated as such.

And third, this is one of the scariest MG novels I've ever read.

I was right. Katherine Arden can do no wrong. I sincerely hope she continues writing for a very long
kath | novel + folk
It is a confirmed fact that I will read anything Katherine Arden writes.
To be honest, I havent read a middle grade horror since I was squished into a school bus seat with a tattered copy of Goosebumps in my backpack. It isnt a genre I had considered revisiting, not for any particular reason other than moving on to other things. However, when I found out that the author of my favourite trilogy was debuting a middle grade novel, of course I had to give it a try.

In Small Spaces, Arden really shows
Peter Monn
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed this. It felt like a more developed Goosebumps book with more character development. My full review will be on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Julie Zantopoulos
This is a middle-grade horror and I kinda love little Ollie. It wasn't all that I wanted it to be but I loved the discussion of grief, loss, and friendship. Also, parts of it were downright creepy and as I'm reading this near Halloween I am very very cautious around corn/scarecrows. Just saying.
Virginie *No more time to write reviews for the moment :( *
That's exactly the kind of book I wanted to read in October!

Katherine Arden tells a very interesting and spooky Halloween tale. The autumn atmosphere is really well described by her beautiful writing. Pumpkins, scarecrows, October sun, colored trees, ghosts and cemetary... Nothing is missing! And all this wraps a delightful story of friendship and resilience. A nice and surprising discovery!

5*: Sad to finish it, this book was amazing
4*: Really liked it!
3*: Liked it
2*: Fell asleep a couple of
rachel ☾
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont think I have ever been recommended an adult fantasy as much as Ardens The Bear and the Nightingale but in typical Rachel fashion, I jumped on her newest book instead.

Small Spaces reminded me why I adore middle grade to this day. It had everything I loved to see: a heartfelt friendship, palpable atmosphere, a twisty, turny plotline, and characters who I came to adore with every fibre of my being.

🎃 Ollie, our protagonist, is such a Gryffindor. She is slowly working through her grief and
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
So I wanted something to read for Halloween that wasn't blooding or worst and found this had just come out and it looked fun, I went in thinking it would be like The Halloween tree, but found it was pretty creepy mostly because I can't stand scarecrows. But I could see anyone of any age enjoy this like I did if you want something a little spooky to read with no blood or guts.
Roshani Chokshi
I've been a fan of Arden since reading her Winternight trilogy, and I was so excited when I realized she was writing middle grade too! I adored this debut. The writing was transcendent, the atmosphere was terrifying, and the characters were so lovable. My only complaint with this book is that I will never look at scarecrows the same.
Kimberly
If you are looking to get a head start on the Halloween season this year then Small Spaces just might be the book for you. It's a little bit spooky, a little bit heart-wrenching and it's 100% a page turner.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

A creepy little book with a strange story. I liked it just fine, but it didn't suck me in at all and I found myself skimming at the end. I thought I would find it scary, but after binging the haunting of hill house all weekend I think the scare-o-meter had zero effect on me.

I am definitely interested in trying Arden's adult novels, maybe I will connect with those more.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Puck
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Katherine Arden, and atmospheric creepy novels

What a wonderful spooky book to start October with! 🎃 Sure, its middle-grade, but talented authors like Katherine Arden write so atmospheric and compelling, anyone will get chills from The Smiling Man.

If you have read Ardens Winternight Trilogy (and you should), you know that she excels in writing beautiful, vivid settings. The Misty Valley, the bus stranded in a dark forest, the
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I am gonna finish this SO soon. So... so soon. Just... not right now.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Honestly, I was surprised just so much I loved this one. Despite being written for a middle grade audience, this one definitely has some all ages appeal. I really liked the main character who was a smart bookworm. The monsters were decently creepy and I just found the whole story really fun to read. I look forward to reading this book with my own son one day.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Katherine Arden is truly my new autobuy queen.

Despite reading this on Christmas Eve, this spooky novel is so incredibly atmospheric (which has always been a strength of Ardens) and it was so easy to slip into the setting of autumnal Vermont, complete with trees thick with burning foliage and farms with golden corn and hay bales.

An incredibly quick MG read, I also found it suitably spooky and it gave me Stranger Things vibes with the characters & the idea of there being some kind of shadowy
Great Middle Grad...: * BOTM for November is Small Spaces 10 34 Nov 29, 2020 09:29AM
Livingston Parish...: Something in BeTWEEN-Small Spaces 4 13 Oct 06, 2020 08:51AM
Middle Grade Marv...: Middle Grade Marvels - August BOTM 1 14 Jul 19, 2020 03:52AM
NZ Intermediate S...: Small Spaces 3 14 Apr 27, 2020 01:24PM

• Nightbooks
  • Spirit Hunters
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Twelve Days in May: Freedom Ride 1961
  • Stormy Seas: Stories of Young Boat Refugees
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Speechless
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • Lifeboat 12
  • Drum Roll, Please
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Ghost Squad
A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on both.

Happy reading.

Born in Texas, Katherine studied French and Russian at Middlebury

Small Spaces (4 books)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
  • Dark Waters (Small Spaces, #3)
  • Untitled (Small Spaces, #4)