Start by marking “Orion Colony: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Orion Colony, #1)” as Want to Read:
Orion Colony: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Orion Colony, #1)

Orion Colony: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure

(Orion Colony #1)

Humanity’s Exodus is about to begin.

When half of mankind revolts and demands more opportunity, those at the top decide on a compromise: they will build the first colony ships and allow those who are willing to discover new worlds to leave and start over.

Twelve ships are built, the first of which is called Orion. Many are eager to go, but only one hundred thousand are c
Published November 3rd 2018 by Variant Publications

To ask other readers questions about Orion Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion Colony

Start your review of Orion Colony: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Orion Colony, #1)
Meenaz Lodhi
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The wonders of humankind were truly boundless and so was their hate.”
I love this new series based in the Renegade world. The conflict between the Eternals and the Transients is a vivid reflection of present day situations in some of today’s Earth. A human exodus to the stars in search of a better life, to escape the injustice of rich and poor struggle...Chaney and Yanez have done a wonderful job together! An emotive, moral and ethical story, with lots of action, fast paced and gripping, w
Jeff Willis
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a solid book overall. Chaney and Yanez are both good writers with other series that I've enjoyed, so I was excited to check out their combined effort and wasn't disappointed by the technical aspects of the writing itself. The premise was good and the narrative was well-paced, but I found that the characters lacked depth and I had a hard time getting really invested in them. The antagonists were actually far better developed and more interesting to me.
Adrienne
I overdosed on the machismo within the first hour of the book.
Jason Rose
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast Paced Space Opera

If your in the mood for a light, fast paced, and entertaining space opera, you'll enjoy this yarn. All the ingredients are present for a compelling series. Moving on to book two.
Lady The Owls
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, Mystery and a bit of romance

If found this story intriguing, kept me turning the pages to the end. I want more of the story. I can not wait for the next book. Way to go Chaney and Yanze.
William Fulton
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Not your normal fist contact, but well worth the read. I can't wait till book two comes out. Great story line
Nancy Phy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Great story with lots of action and mystery. It has well developed characters and I can't wait to read the next book.
Jim
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A familiar and very good author has started a new series and it’s good! While it’s not my usual “military” science fiction, it still has a lot of action to it. Still, it’s something of a detective story which isn’t bad, but a lot depends on how it’s written. The story is also pretty straight-forward and simple. Although, getting ready to depart Earth for a new home world might not seem all that simple.

Earth is currently split into to major cultures that don’t exactly get along very w
Frances Law
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exodus.

The Earth is divided. There are now some people who are immortal but it costs a lot of money for the treatment which puts it out of the reach of most people. The immortals are called Eternals and the ordinary humans are now called Transients.
To avoid a war it was decided to build twelve colony ships to take 100,000 colonists each to different worlds.
The MC in this the first book, is Dean Slade. Dean was a Gladiator in his old life and he was the world champion, but events happened tha
dennis barron
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Orion Colony. J.N. Chaney

Time to leave Earth for a new beginning. A better life? On board the ship, the eternals, the master race. The transients. The laborers with no chance of a better life. On earth a revolution is brewing. A rogue gang called t h e disciplines blames the eternals for mankind's problems. The spaceship Orion departs with thousands on board in hopes for a new beginning. Sabatoge occurs and the ship crash lands on an alien planet. Non stop action. Enjoyed immensely!
Rebecka
DNF: The MC went from being a loner who hardly spoke for five years to engaging in snarky banter in like two seconds. I don't mind either character type, but the sudden change caused some whiplash. I also really disliked the person he was partnered up with. I'm sure she'd have come across more sympathetic further along the story, but I've read too much sci-fi lately and think my patience is running thin. I should probably change genre for a while and might try this again later. I quite liked Ren ...more
Ed Tinkertoy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book and it was an easy read for me. There were a few things that happened that I considered rather unlikely, like a person having his/her own personal cloak so they could hide from view. And I did not think it possible that persons could bring a bomb or haz chemicals onto the ship, even with the large numbers of people on it. Toward the end of the book I was wondering how is this going to end because there was not much book left to read. THEN i discovered there is a book 2 that co ...more
Larry Don Block
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The prequel begins

This story introduces to the "before" universe of the Renegade series. The story is informative, but lacks something in the way the characters are developed. The characters are too involved with each other too soon without any sign of wariness or distrust. There needs to be more development each major character.
The plot line is good in concept and draws the reader into the story.
Fate's Lady
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A taciturn former prize fighter with some sort of secret is dragged into political intrigue and sabotage with one misplaced good deed, and finds himself making friends even as his life and situation grow increasingly out of control. It's a typical written-by-a-white-guy adventure fantasy, but it's fun and Ray Porter is a pleasant narrator, if also Very White Guy. Worth a read/listen for some light, mindless entertainment.
Karsyn
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - enjoyable. Not the best space story in which people go off to different worlds, but not the worst. Took a little while to get going for me, dragged in places, but wasn't bad. Rounded up as I plan to read more. The MC was likable enough.

Helps that the audiobook is Ray Porter. He's fast rising the list into my favorite narrators. There are so many, but I think he's solid 5 or 6, depending on my mood. :D
Jay Collins
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 to maybe 3 stars. It was okay but a slow burn for the most part. The MC is okay but some small issues with him. The Story is a little slow and only gets kind of good when it is almost over and setting up for the next book. I don't think I will continue with this series as it was nothing special and just okay.
Dan R Otis
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prequel to Renegade star. A good start!

I have read the entire Renegade series, so I have big expectations for this part of the story. Just saying. This author is a personal favorite of mine.
David C
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Orion Colony

Poorly edited and storyline lacks imagination. There is potential with a rewrite, but nothing stands out or powerfully grabs your attention. Character development is shallow. It’s a good first try. Don’t give up!
Nigel Frankcom
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling tale...

JNC and JY spin a mean yarn and this is no different. A spin-off from the Renegade series takes us back to the original schism between the Eternals and the transients. So far this has me wanting more.
Ed
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great series!
Stella Whittingham
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book would be an amazing movie.

Grabbed me in the first couple pages. I could definitely see a movie here. Buying next episode straight away. Awesome
Kenneth Legnon
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. Looking at the beginning of the exodus from earth. Looking forward to the next one.
John
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

Yet another great book from a great author keep them coming an amazing story line just the right amount of intrigue for a first book
Lissa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good for long drives
Andy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, just really short. Freely like I was halfway through the book when it ended
Kevin Beck
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent read

Excellent characters and a great story. Looking forward to this story continuing. Good background information for other books in this series.
Averill Earls
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the most thrilling or inventive of space operas, but interesting enough that I will probably get the 2nd book
Tom Brooks
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

This is my kind of book. I hope book 2 is out cuz I plan to grab that. This was just fun to read.
David Beck
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a precursor to the Renegade series and follows how the Orion colony was founded. I found it very interesting.
Sjoerd Hemminga
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not a story. This is chapter 1 of a story. There's a current trend of turning books as much as possible into serializations. That's being overdone here.

• The Prodigal Sun (Evergence, #1)
  • The North Star: Galactic Sentinel Book One
  • The Book of the Short Sun: On Blue's Waters/In Green's Jungles/Return to the Whorl
  • The Secret of Life
  • Destiny Rising (The Intrepid Saga #1-2)
  • Privateer Tales The Beginning: Boxed Set
  • Mission Pack 2: Missions 5-8 (Black Ocean #5-8, #8.5)
  • Pursuit of the Guardian (Children of the Republic, #2)
  • The Battle Of Forever
  • The Noble Exiles (Ocean Black, #1)
  • Always Forward (Gateway to the Galaxy #2)
  • Astronaut-Aquanaut: How Space Science and Sea Science Interact
  • Headspace
  • Hoplite (Alien War #1)
  • Sandstorm (Sandstorm #1)
  • How the Universe Works: An Illustrated Guide to the Cosmos and All We Know About It
  • Fire of the Raging Dragon (Pacific Rim, #2)
  • Adak
If you want to stay up to date on my releases, concept art, or speak to me directly - you should join my Facebook fan group:

We have discussions on everything from books, movies, shows, and all things scifi. Come join the conversation.

Orion Colony (3 books)
  • Orion Uncharted: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Orion Colony Book 2)
  • Orion Awakened: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Orion Colony Book 3)