Start by marking “Orion Colony (Orion Colony #1)” as Want to Read:
Orion Colony (Orion Colony #1)

Orion Colony

(Orion Colony #1)

Humanity’s Exodus is about to begin.

When half of mankind revolts and demands more opportunity, those at the top decide on a compromise: they will build the first colony ships and allow those who are willing to discover new worlds to leave and start over.

Twelve ships are built, the first of which is called Orion. Many are eager to go, but only one hundred thousand are
Published November 3rd 2018 by Variant Publications

To ask other readers questions about Orion Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion Colony

Start your review of Orion Colony (Orion Colony #1)
Meenaz Lodhi
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The wonders of humankind were truly boundless and so was their hate.”
I love this new series based in the Renegade world. The conflict between the Eternals and the Transients is a vivid reflection of present day situations in some of today’s Earth. A human exodus to the stars in search of a better life, to escape the injustice of rich and poor struggle...Chaney and Yanez have done a wonderful job together! An emotive, moral and ethical story, with lots of action, fast paced and gripping, with a
Adrienne
I overdosed on the machismo within the first hour of the book.
Jeff Willis
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a solid book overall. Chaney and Yanez are both good writers with other series that I've enjoyed, so I was excited to check out their combined effort and wasn't disappointed by the technical aspects of the writing itself. The premise was good and the narrative was well-paced, but I found that the characters lacked depth and I had a hard time getting really invested in them. The antagonists were actually far better developed and more interesting to me.
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This was good but just didn't cross over into amazing territory for me, despite Ray Porter's narration. He definitely brought it up a few notches. It reads like an action movie, largely predictable but entertaining nonetheless. It just didn't engender the kind of emotional investment I was expecting.
Jason Rose
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast Paced Space Opera

If your in the mood for a light, fast paced, and entertaining space opera, you'll enjoy this yarn. All the ingredients are present for a compelling series. Moving on to book two.
Lady The Owls
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, Mystery and a bit of romance

If found this story intriguing, kept me turning the pages to the end. I want more of the story. I can not wait for the next book. Way to go Chaney and Yanze.
William Fulton
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Not your normal fist contact, but well worth the read. I can't wait till book two comes out. Great story line
Fate's Lady
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A taciturn former prize fighter with some sort of secret is dragged into political intrigue and sabotage with one misplaced good deed, and finds himself making friends even as his life and situation grow increasingly out of control. It's a typical written-by-a-white-guy adventure fantasy, but it's fun and Ray Porter is a pleasant narrator, if also Very White Guy. Worth a read/listen for some light, mindless entertainment.
Sjoerd Hemminga
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not a story. This is chapter 1 of a story. There's a current trend of turning books as much as possible into serializations. That's being overdone here.
Ernesto I. Ramirez
Really interesting story, good characters (a bit of cliché, and the Eternal, in general, are too nice, except Arun, I like her, but they even have alien names).

Also many clichés in phrases and comments and descriptions.

Issues with the timing, the attacks on the ship happen too soon... and unless it was a group, they happen non-stop, Dean should have slowed the attacker down after the fight. The attacks need preparation, materials and more important access (big ship and the assassin is getting
Jay Collins
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 to maybe 3 stars. It was okay but a slow burn for the most part. The MC is okay but some small issues with him. The Story is a little slow and only gets kind of good when it is almost over and setting up for the next book. I don't think I will continue with this series as it was nothing special and just okay.
Nancy Phy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Great story with lots of action and mystery. It has well developed characters and I can't wait to read the next book.
Jim
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A familiar and very good author has started a new series and it’s good! While it’s not my usual “military” science fiction, it still has a lot of action to it. Still, it’s something of a detective story which isn’t bad, but a lot depends on how it’s written. The story is also pretty straight-forward and simple. Although, getting ready to depart Earth for a new home world might not seem all that simple.

Earth is currently split into to major cultures that don’t exactly get along very well. The
Cmoore
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't heard anything about this book, or these two authors when I picked it up, but, it was a daily deal and Ray Porter narrated it (and I luvs me some Ray Porter)! I took the time to verify that it wasn't a zombie apocalypse... Ray seems to like those (it wasn't) so Score!!! A book narrated by Ray Porter! RAY PORTER!!!
But, seriously the authors JN Chaney and Jonathan Yanez had me hooked within moments from the beginning of the book. I loved it! I loved the protagonist (Dean), right from the
Frances Law
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exodus.

The Earth is divided. There are now some people who are immortal but it costs a lot of money for the treatment which puts it out of the reach of most people. The immortals are called Eternals and the ordinary humans are now called Transients.
To avoid a war it was decided to build twelve colony ships to take 100,000 colonists each to different worlds.
The MC in this the first book, is Dean Slade. Dean was a Gladiator in his old life and he was the world champion, but events happened that
Greg
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, space-opera
I received this book as an audible daily deal for a few bucks. The narration was solid but the book itself lacked depth and the story is a bit fanciful. As others have commented, at a total of 6 hours, this reads like it was only the part of a story and not an entire book that is part of an overall series. As if an editorial decision was made to break the book into parts to charge the readers more.

As stated, the characters in the book and the plot lack depth. The sci-fi tech and world-building
dennis barron
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Orion Colony. J.N. Chaney

Time to leave Earth for a new beginning. A better life? On board the ship, the eternals, the master race. The transients. The laborers with no chance of a better life. On earth a revolution is brewing. A rogue gang called t h e disciplines blames the eternals for mankind's problems. The spaceship Orion departs with thousands on board in hopes for a new beginning. Sabatoge occurs and the ship crash lands on an alien planet. Non stop action. Enjoyed immensely!
Ed Tinkertoy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book and it was an easy read for me. There were a few things that happened that I considered rather unlikely, like a person having his/her own personal cloak so they could hide from view. And I did not think it possible that persons could bring a bomb or haz chemicals onto the ship, even with the large numbers of people on it. Toward the end of the book I was wondering how is this going to end because there was not much book left to read. THEN i discovered there is a book 2 that ...more
Larry Don Block
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The prequel begins

This story introduces to the "before" universe of the Renegade series. The story is informative, but lacks something in the way the characters are developed. The characters are too involved with each other too soon without any sign of wariness or distrust. There needs to be more development each major character.
The plot line is good in concept and draws the reader into the story.
Karsyn
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - enjoyable. Not the best space story in which people go off to different worlds, but not the worst. Took a little while to get going for me, dragged in places, but wasn't bad. Rounded up as I plan to read more. The MC was likable enough.

Helps that the audiobook is Ray Porter. He's fast rising the list into my favorite narrators. There are so many, but I think he's solid 5 or 6, depending on my mood. :D
Derek Jordan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This was the start of story.. I thought of it more of a decent pilot for a sci fi series. Color me interested and willing to continue with the story. Not totally new or different, but I'm pulled into the characters enough to want to know more, though this just feels like the start of a story and not a full story in itself.. One of those episodic type books.
Dan R Otis
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prequel to Renegade star. A good start!

I have read the entire Renegade series, so I have big expectations for this part of the story. Just saying. This author is a personal favorite of mine.
Greg
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed much of the story, but the sheer improbability of the physical situations (coming out of faster-than-light travel near a planet--given the vastness of space, what are the chances??) wrecked it for me.
David C
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Orion Colony

Poorly edited and storyline lacks imagination. There is potential with a rewrite, but nothing stands out or powerfully grabs your attention. Character development is shallow. It’s a good first try. Don’t give up!
Nigel Frankcom
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling tale...

JNC and JY spin a mean yarn and this is no different. A spin-off from the Renegade series takes us back to the original schism between the Eternals and the transients. So far this has me wanting more.
Richard Ritenbaugh
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a great deal. I like space operas, and this one didn't take itself too seriously. The main character was a bit of a man of mystery for a good part of the book, as his backstory unfolded in a sequence of dreams he had over the course of the book. Good start to the series.
Jessica
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Really great start and a lot of potential for a great series... I really enjoy the light-hearted writing and good storyline
Ed
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great series!
Stella Whittingham
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book would be an amazing movie.

Grabbed me in the first couple pages. I could definitely see a movie here. Buying next episode straight away. Awesome
John
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

Yet another great book from a great author keep them coming an amazing story line just the right amount of intrigue for a first book

• The Unsung (After the Galaxy #1)
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • Fury (Forsaken Mercenary #3)
  • Absolution (Forsaken Mercenary #2)
  • Vigilance (First Colony #7)
  • Marine (Terran Scout Fleet, #1)
  • Emergence (First Colony #6)
  • Caspian's Fortune (Infinity's End #1)
  • Dropship (Forsaken Mercenary #1)
  • Return (The Resistance Book Three)
  • Dragon Team Seven: DT7 - book 1
  • Dust & Iron (Adventures of the Starship Satori Book 9)
  • Privateers in Exile (Privateer Tales, #16)
  • Embers of War (Adventures of the Starship Satori, #8)
  • Genesis (The Alliance #3)
  • Augmented (The Transcended Book 1)
  • Wings of Redemption (The Terra Nova Chronicles, #3)
  • Conception (The Alliance #2)
If you want to stay up to date on my releases, concept art, or speak to me directly - you should join my Facebook fan group:

We have discussions on everything from books, movies, shows, and all things scifi. Come join the conversation.

Orion Colony (4 books)
  • Orion Uncharted (Orion Colony #2)
  • Orion Awakened (Orion Colony #3)
  • Orion Protected (Orion Colony #4)