Start by marking “Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)

Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  5,123 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
A wild colt rescued by two children is raised by a mare who has lost her own foal.
Published May 22nd 2007 by Aladdin (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Star, please sign up.

Zoë Yes, this book falls right after Misty.

Manybooks
I sometimes wish that with regard to Marguerite Henry's Sea Star, I had not decided a few years ago to check online resources about the real-life happenings that precipitated this novel (as the ending, or rather as the actual and non-fiction ending of said events was not at all positive in outcome, a for me rather nasty shock that tends to even make me tear up a bit whenever I think of it, whenever I now reread the novel, although realistically, and as someone a bit familiar with horses and hors ...more
Cheryl
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this even better than I liked Misty, though in some ways it's similar. I think one of the things I like about it is that Maureen was more active. I mean, sure, she still had to do housekeeping type stuff, but she also got to ride bareback etc. And she even almost let the beans burn!
Sandy
what was I, 8? 10? 12? .......I read this dozens of times..... an older edition with a different picture on the front but same story. Wonderful. I went back to Chincoteague in March and saw the wild horses out on Assateague Island, and walked on the beach and felt the wind in my hair and book postcards of the horses in the surf and bought Misty Of Chincoteague for my niece. It was wonderful to be back there again (last time was in 1963 and I was 6).... I really enjoyed myself.
Theresa
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was younger a friend of mine had the first book in this series, and I had always wanted to read them. So when I saw book 2 and 3 at a yard sale I grabbed them up with a skip in my step. I didn't for one moment wonder if I wouldn't enjoy them as much now.

I loved every page of this story. I loved Misty's personality and how the children loved her. I loved the grandparents. Reading about the roundup made me want to research it or read a non fiction book about it. I was so proud of Paul and M
Gina
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horse lovers
April Brown
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, pre-teen
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1940′s).

Written approximately? – 1949.

Does the story leave que
Jenny
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I read this with my 8 yo daughter. Both of us enjoyed this story of Sea Star. There are certainly moments of heartbreak and concern but it's primarily a joyous and loving tale.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After reading Misty of Chincoteague, anyone could become enamoured with the ponies of Assateague island. That being said, this book is kind of a let down after that. While it was still well written for children and does envelop the horse culture that is Chincoteague, the story almost seems incomplete and not very fleshed out.

Its the next Pony Penning day at Chinconteague and before all the wild ponies of Assateague can be driven over to the island, Paul and Maureen are approached by some movie m
Rena Sherwood
Sea Star has become one of those books that I absolutely adored when I was a kid and now can barely tolerate now that I'm 47. Then again, when I was 4 I liked peanut butter and mustard sandwiches, but this difference isn't so extreme.

Let me explain.

As a story, it's really sweet without being disgustingly so. An orphan foal is discovered by the Beebe kids and they work like heck to save.

And the art is FAB. If you are going to buy this book, make sure you get one with all of the full-color and b
Kyrie
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
These books are so wrapped up in my childhood that I see the title and remember the school library and sitting on the floor with my best friend, reading the books.

I think Marguerite Henry is the source of my obsession with reading everything in a series.
Sheila
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horse
The perfect book for a 12 year old girl dreaming of horses, who had yet to own her own horse.
Caleb
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paul and Maureen find a baby colt that is stranded and they rescue and help to care for their new friend. A lot of work goes into caring for a baby colt and the kids have much to and think about with a lot of work ahead of them, but they enjoy it because of how much they love the colt. I liked this book the author made the story really good for readers and horse fans everywhere.
Lillian Bittle
The story of two siblings who make a very unselfish choice and sell their beloved horse so their cousin can attend college. Then in the midst of their sadness, they find a foal who may just need them as much as they need.... Sea Star.
Kristen Coffin
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
"Oh, they’re wild and woolly and full of fleas, and never been curried below the knees…"

Cute book for lovers of horses or simply just lovers of Misty's world.
Sara Best
This is one of the books I read before I started keeping my book list. Even though it was years ago, I remember the story and how much I loved it.
The date is estimate.
Val
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-books
Such a fun read.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
I LOVED these books by Marguerite Henry as a pre-teen. Any girl who is horse-crazy will love them.
Meg
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as child and loved it! So excited for my daughter to read it now❤
Colleen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This didn't appeal to me quite as much as Misty of Chincoteague, nevertheless it was an appealing follow-up to that book. Paul and Maureen are still on Chincoteague Island, helping Grandpa and Grandma run their pony ranch. And they still have their beloved spunky Misty. But then Paul and Maureen do something shocking! Something unbelievable! Something heartbreaking! And although they do it for a noble reason, I kind of wish they acted like real kids with real emotions--feeling resentment and ang ...more
Gale
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
THE MYRTLE CURE

Although author Marguerite Henry had not envisioned a sequel to MISTY, she found herself touched by the real plight of a tiny orphan colt whose mother had died at Tom's Cove. Those plucky youngsters, Paul and Maureen Beebe, make the ultimate sacrifice: they decide to sell their beloved Misty in order to finance their uncle's education at Seminary. But when the Lord cloes one door, he often opens a window somewhere else. In this case the starving little type whickers his way into
Lars Guthrie
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The first sequel of "Misty of Chincoteague." If someone you know likes books about horses and has little trouble adjusting to a different period and style of writing, steer them to Marguerite Henry. In "Misty" and "Sea Star," the siblings Paul and Maureen often fall into stereotyped gender behavior (Maureen does the dishes while Paul helps with a loud speaker system), but their relationship with their grandparents (the mysterious parents are in China) is loving and charming, and Maureen is a pre ...more
Rachel Jackson
This is a good book for kids to read, no doubt about it, but it has lost some of its magic for me in the past decade. After the lovely story that was Misty of Chincoteague, this "sequel" doesn't dazzle me nearly quite as much. I felt quite disconnected from everything that was happening — I felt like everything happened too fast for me to develop an opinion on the action itself and what the Beebes did. The characters were less developed, which was a bit sad to see, given that this book has more ...more
Sara Elisabetha
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague
Author: Marguerite Henry

This book is a sequel to Marguerite Henry's first book, Misty of Chincoteague. In this book brother and sister Paul and Maureen Beebe have sold Misty to Some "movie men" from New York to make a movie about her, and to make children on the main land happy. When Paul and Maureen are digging for oysters for their grandmothers Pony Penning Day dinner, they find an orphaned colt with his mother laying "dead on her broadside."
This book had to be
Rosa Cline
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful continuation of Misty and her human family. Even if you haven't read book 1 you could still understand this one, but reading these in order you get to understand and know the situations and characters well.

This one the children have to make an adult decision and later are rewarded with saving a newborn baby colt! They care for him as much as they can until they find a mama horse that they put him with to nurse.

This is a wonderful story of children working together as sibli
Adaline Griffiths
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sea Star starts out sad. Paul and Maureen decide they have to sell Misty, who they bought the year before, in order to send their uncle to college. The parting is very sad, as Misty is family to them, but they decide other children should be able to experience Misty. Later, Maureen and Paul find a young colt, whom they name Sea Star. Her mother has died and the children take her under their wing. But Sea Star is not eating-will Maureen and Paul be able to save Sea Star? I rate this book 4 out of ...more
Rosa Cline
4 star

This is a wonderful story of children working together as
Marci Christensen
We started this one tonight. I read it when I was younger, along with every other horse book I could find. Marissa really likes it so far. It is a higher reading level then previous books we have read aloud, so I'm curious to see how long it keeps their attention (and mine).

Well, we finished a few days ago. It was a slow read, but Marissa liked the characters and, of course, all the horses, err ponies rather. There were not enough pictures, though, to make it a great read for young kids. We like
Molly Cline
4 star

This is a wonderful story of children working together as
Rachael
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chioce-books
In this book Sea Star, by Maruerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebee think it is great that their current pony Misty is going to be filmed in a movie except for the idea of having to sell her. soon, their decidion comes to an end as they sell their beloved pony in order to send their uncle to college. Even so, there s an empty feeling left from selling Misty, so when they find a starving, orphan colt on the beach, it turns out they needed it as much as it needed them.
Twyla
My favorite part was when sea star got a foster mom, a mom got a foster child horse, and paul and maureen got them both. The worst part was when paul and maureen had to sell misty. my favorite character were paul and maureen. There was no worst character. This book was about paul and maureen selling misty and finding an orphan cot and keeping her and also getting a mare who lost her child. auryn 10 yesrs old, 2014
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Wonder's Yearling (Thoroughbred, #6)
  • The Blind Colt
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)