Start by marking “Afraid to Fall (Ancient Passages, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afraid to Fall (Ancient Passages, #1)

Afraid to Fall

(Ancient Passages #1)

Guatemala—a country rife with civil unrest, human and narco-trafficking, and looters of antiquity is the perfect backdrop for AFRAID TO FALL—a steamy story of romance, adventure, and suspense.

Needing a break from both her personal and professional life, forensic anthropologist Ariana Antony makes a spur-of-the-moment decision to join a research expedition in Guatemala’s P
Published October 2nd 2018 by NliveN, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Afraid to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afraid to Fall

Ashley
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written love story by Bishop. I really enjoyed reading about Ari and Luca's relationship growing over the course of this novel. They both have pasts that make them wary of each other, but they learn to trust slowly. If you enjoy a slow burn in both relationship and passionate scenes I recommend!

I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
Literati Literature Lovers
4.5 Stars

I confess . . . the stunning cover of Afraid to Fall made me buy the book. The cover itself tells a story and I was intrigued to find out what that story entailed. Covers can either get me to buy the book or make me pass on it. This engaging cover got me to buy the novel and jump into power reading a really fun adventure.

Katie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was copied from my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.com

I always get nervous when someone asks me to review their book because I'm wondering what I'll do if it turns out to be... well, not my thing. That was not the case with Afraid to Fall by Sutton Bishop. This book is not written like a debut. It truly seems like the work of a well-seasoned romance author.

Ari is an independent, intelligent, and excitable young woman. From the very first paragraph I was enraptu
Eva
sutton bishop's debut, afraid to fall, takes us to the ruins of ancient maya in guatemala. it's an archeological dig, and ari has joined up after her career and relationship almost imploded. a forensic anthropologist who is interested in mayan culture this expedition is the trip of a lifetime.

or it would be if the crazy sparks she shared with the expedition leader, luca didn't threaten to derail her focus. it's hard to hide their attraction from everyone on the team, and when ari runs into dange
Debbie Caswell
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a totally new author for me and I must admit I wasn't actually sure what I had signed up for but I like to try new authors and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

This is primarily a adventure story with a ver healthy dash of ramnce thrown in The romance isn't secondary by nay stretch of the imagination but it isn't the primary factor either This is just a real good old fashioned adventure story The writing is so well done that I could almost smell the rotting vegetation and feel the swea
Tiffany
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great debut novel! It is not your typical romance but that is what makes it so good.

One of my favorite things in books is suspense, the author was able to incorporate that in this novel and it was amazing.

Ari and Luca have pretty hot chemistry! Both have pasts that come out and open their hearts for more. Ari has a cheating ex and Luca has a pretty heartbreaking past. I would love to see a story between Meg and Matt.

Looking forward to Sutton's next book!
Kelly
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6-stars, loved-it
What an amazing story! Afraid to Fall was wrapped in Guatemalan history, culture, and lore. I never realized the complexities of the Mayan history. I felt like I was there (although I have never been and now wish to visit.)
The characters in this story were so heart felt and painstakingly true. I could feel the love, anguish, and anger that the author wrote into each character with such clarity and emotion.
Afraid to fall was fabulously written book and I look forward to more from Sutton Bishop!
Colleen Oppenheim
Wow! If you want a book that breaks the "mold" of the current romance genre, a book that is full of adventure, suspense, and yes, sexy times, then Afraid to Fall is for you!
I wasn't sure going in what exactly this book would entail. I love trying new-to-me authors and since Sutton Bishop is totally new to the genre, I was excited to see what she wrote. I am so happy that I did! It reminded me of "old school" adventure/romance movies like Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile.
I was enchanted
Amy Stephens
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I even begin with this amazing book!!

Seriously, Sutton Bishop has blown me away with Afraid to Fall. And did I mention, it's a debut story too? When I first saw the cover for this book, I stared at it for the longest time. Not only was it gorgeous, but there was something about it that just called out to me. Then, I read the blurb and wondered if it was really a story that I could get into. You see, I'm not much of a history/romance type reader but I was curious. I mean, it sounded good
CA Portnellus
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing jungle trip to love

I rarely give 5 stars for books, but this one gets them. From the first narratives of Mayan mythology to the modern day story, the reader is swept away like on a wild river ride. The descriptions of the primitive jungles, countryside, and charming towns of Guatemala are fascinating and well-written better than most travel magazines, richly evoking the sense of time, culture, and place. Sutton's clever characters are super easy to follow, admire and fall into love with
Literati Literature Lovers

Jungle heat and romantic sizzle combine in the debut novel by Sutton Bishop. Bishop writes a story in which her main characters have believable backstories. STOP THE PRESSES! Th
Readonreader
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really puts the readers into the settings and environment of the story. The author was very descriptive about what was happening and what the characters were seeing that now I want a trip to Guatemala. Like I said it is very descriptive which is good because you feel you’re there but it doesn’t drag the story. The chemistry and romance between Ari and Luca was instantaneous yet it took a little while for them to truly act on it. I loved the adventures the author took us on and the twis ...more
Linda Kopec
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ari and Luca's story is filled with suspense, steam, history and romance. This story will capture your attention and hold you captive until the last page. Wonderfully written book with depth of characters and wonderful plot. I received an advanced readers copy of this book and highly recommend it.
Kayla
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He ached to kiss her again. To explore more of her beautiful body. To make her purr."

Wow I'm finding it hard to believe this is a debut novel from Sutton Bishop. I must admit this cover is originally what drew me to this book. And boy am I glad it did! What a beautiful love story it was. If you are looking for a intriguing intense read Affraid to Fall is the book for you. The author blended history and romance for a truly unique reading expirence. I love when authors do their research and it
Averie Allwein
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, ebooks
*3.75 stars
I received this book for an honest review :)

Overall, I really enjoyed this romance book! I will say it was quite addictive and I found myself reading it in any spare moment I had. I ending really had me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the romance and couple in the book, because they were somewhat of an unconventional couple. They met under unique circumstances, and they are quite far apart in age. I will say I wish I would have known the man's age though. I remember Ari is 28
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)
Afraid to Fall is the love child of Indiana Jones and the TV show, Bones, and it's a great debut for a new author.

Ariana Antony is a forensic anthropologist who's signed onto a research expedition in Guatemala, where she meets Dr. Luca Fierro. Their first meeting isn't particularly friendly, but there are some serious sparks generated. Unfortunately, he ends up being her boss of sorts, as he's the one leading the research expedition. As they set about investigating the Mayan culture in Guatemala
Christa
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I opened this book, I expected a fun, rompy romance, but I got so much more. In her debut novel, Sutton Bishop has penned a story that is as steamy as it is smart and suspenseful. Incorporating her personal knowledge of the region and her background in anthropology, she paints a vibrant picture of the Guatemalan jungle and the Mayan ruins. She also artfully brings her characters to life and gives them a chance to evolve over the course of their summer. I particularly enjoyed the Mayan mytho ...more
Josi Miller
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very well-written with two dynamic protagonists and a plot that only gets better the farther you progress in the book. As an anthropology major I found their expedition to Guatemala extremely fascinating and learned so much about Guatemalan culture. Furthermore, I was immediately drawn to Ari and Luca's romance and couldn't wait to see how the two would end up. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!
Breane Ross
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great first book by Sutton Bishop. I received an arc from netgalley as the cover is soooooo beautiful. So glad I did so. Highly recommend this book!
Lozzie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Afraid To Fall by Sutton Bishop is unlike anything I’ve ever read before. This novel is an anthropologic romance based in Guatemala, and you got to not only explore the passion between Luca and Ari, but also explore the Maya history and landscapes of Guatemala. This book was so interesting and captivated me from the beauty of Guatemala.

This book was not boring in the slightest. Every chapter has something going on, and the more you get into it, the more interesting things get. I absolutely love
Jay Cozza
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy type of books that mix a good personal back story with real life settings. I read Afraid to Fall by Sutton Bishop with that in mind and I got that and more since this is a “romance” novel. The author took us into an architectural dig in Guatemala and tied in the personal,suspense and the sexy hot (it is Guatemala after all) stories into one great and enjoyable story. Easy and enjoyable read. I recommend this book and look forward to seeing how Bishop develop ...more
Jessica
I was fascinated with this book during chapter one. Then it took forever to move on for me. Then We meet Luca. Not sure why I couldn’t get into this one.
The background of this story is awesome and the writing is good.
Just not the book for me.
Worth a try for you though.
Bobbie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BRB booking ticket to Guatemala...

Okay, so this book was onto a winner with me, as for the past year I've been dreaming of going to explore undiscovered temples in Guatemala, so props to the author for enabling me to live that dream vicariously through Ariana. Throw in some danger, some sexy times, romance, adventure... this book has the works, and I'm very interested to see where the next book in the series heads.
Thelma Thompson
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing adventure that has you reading more and more. Read this book over the course of 5 hours because I couldn’t put it down! Lots of tension with the appropriate amount of mystery. Can’t wait for the next book!
Riley Ashby
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
not going on vacation this summer? that's ok, this book has you covered, with an in-depth description of ancient Maya sites, lore, and customs. you'll be transported not only by the romance but by the unique destination, and holding your breath at the twists!
Judy M.