Jump to ratings and reviews

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers

For the first time ever, the songs from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood are collected here in a illustrated treasury.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood had a revolutionary impact on children's television, and on millions of children themselves. Through songs, puppets, and frank conversations, Mister Rogers instilled the values of kindness, patience, and self-esteem in his viewers, and most of all, taught children how loved they were, just by being themselves. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reimagines the songs from the show as poetry, ranging from the iconic "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" to the forgotten gems. The poems deal with topics such as difficult feelings, new siblings, everyday routines, imagination, and more.

144 pages, Hardcover

First published March 19, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Fred Rogers

87 books664 followers
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
70 (2%)
1 star
33 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 568 reviews
Profile Image for Dorie  - Cats&Books :) .
958 reviews2,558 followers
March 21, 2019
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This is a wonderful and lyrical book of children's songs and poems from the Mr. Rodgers Show. I raised four daughters who loved this show. It was such a beautifully quiet show but with enough going on that it kept their interest. We all loved when they would show short films of visiting different places, I remember a crayon factory being a favorite.

Back to the book, the poems are indeed a Treasury. They would be wonderful to read to your children at any time and then later they can read it themselves. I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this for my two sets of grandchildren, the youngest being 2 1/2.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Profile Image for Calista.
3,791 reviews31.2k followers
July 14, 2019
I grew up watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. This is literally a book of poetry. Poetry that were all the songs Mr. Rogers sang on his program over the many decades it was on. There are poem after poem collected here. There have to be over 100 poems.

I did think this would be a story about him, but it is a collection of his songs. Several of them brought back a memory of actually hearing the song as a child. This didn’t work for the children. We read a few of them and they didn’t want to keep going. There are so many and it doesn’t make a story. Plus, the kids did not see much Mr. Rogers. They are Netflix kids. They have seen a few episodes of Daniel Tiger and that’s what they know. Sad to think they don’t know Mr. Rogers. Oh well.

I don’t know that this is for kids or, it is something to read a few songs a night or something. I found one song on Youtube for them to watch and they were just a little bored. This might be more for adults than children, or maybe children not mine.
Profile Image for Trish.
1,846 reviews3,363 followers
November 7, 2019
I had not known about Fred Rogers until I saw that Tom Hanks was making a movie about the man. Then I started looking into him and his children's program, followed by me watching the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbour (I recommend everyone watch it, it's fantastic).

Then, by coincidence (or not, maybe the publication of this was simply timed wisely since the movie is about to be released soon), I saw this book as a contender in the Goodreads Choice Awards in the category of "Best Picture Book" and I knew I had to have it.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the program's episodes, but I'll try to find some of them at least. Nevertheless, also thanks to the above mentioned documentary, I know a few of the songs Fred Rogers composed (yes, he himself most of the time) for the show and they were all hauntingly beautiful. They all have a nice ring to them, a pretty melody, but carry a deep and importnat message for young and old. Seriously, this man and what he created ... I scarcely have words.

People who are familiar with the show will recognize many things depicted by the colourful and cute illustrations that accompany each song. Such as the set of Neighborhood of Make-Believe with all the puppets, the trolley etc.

The illustration also feature some cast members from the show as well as children of all backgrounds.

And because I heard this criticism when watching the documentary, I need to conclude with this: no, Mr. Rogers did not start the "Special Snowflake problem" or the sense of entitlement of so many people (which really is a problem). Rather, he knew how many children were told they weren't good enough, were left to feel unloveable (or responsible for their parents' divorce etc) and apart from teaching them about important topics such as death and how to deal with it, he wanted to let them know that even if they didn't grow up to be nuclear physicists or astronauts, there could and would still be at least one person in this world who loved them. Because everybody needs love.

A wonderful man, unquantifyable then and now, who cared deeply about the world and who is sorely missed. This book, then, is a sort of legacy. For all those who didn't have the luck to grow up with the program. Here, you can read the songs, maybe sing them with your kids and delight in the visual presentation of them. It sure gets my vote in the GCA this year.
1 4 3
Profile Image for Jessaka.
853 reviews100 followers
January 12, 2020
“It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beautywood
A neighborly day for a beauty
Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you

So let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together, we might as well say
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please
Won't you please
Please won't you be my neighbor?”

Many people were not fortunate enough to have grown up in Mr. Roger’s neighborhood. I know I wasn’t. I can only hope that kids still watch it on TV as well as Sesame Street, especially since I don’t think that they teach the Golden Rule in schools anymore.

I would love to sit our president down in front of the TV all day long, well, he does do that, but to watch these series. It probably would not help him, but at least it would keep him out of trouble.

I read all the poetry of Fred Rogers twice, not because I liked it, but because I had missed it. I had only caught glimpses of him when I was probably babysitting, and then there was the time that Eddie Murphy dressed up as Mr. Rogers and came through the door singing, “It’s a wonderful day in the neighborhood,” which was a classic in comedy skits. For those who don’t know who Eddie Murphy is, he is a black comedian who was on Saturday Night Live for a while. It was considered that his black neighborhood did not have wonderful days. I can no longer think of Mr. Rogers without thinking of him.

I gave this book five stars for all the good it had done to kids who happened to love his show, and then had happened to go to school and get beaten up by little Trumpers who then took their lunch money and called them horrible names. If our nation survives it will be because the kids who grew up with Mr. Rogers, learned to fight back.
Profile Image for Sophie Crane.
3,519 reviews113 followers
February 16, 2021
This book is a must for any fan of Fred Rogers! 75 songs presented as poetry with fun, colorful illustrations. The poems, much like Mister Roger's Neighborhood, touch on many things that go through children's minds. It will make you laugh, cry, and inspire you to be more like that incredible man on the TV who always liked us no matter what.
Profile Image for Tess Taylor.
192 reviews12 followers
January 3, 2020
You are my friend,
You're special to me.
There's only one
In this wonderful world.
You are special.

Let's start off this decade with some truly positive vibes! And to me, there is nothing more positive or beautiful than the words of Mr. Rogers. His songs are bound and illustrated in this beautiful collection by Luke Flowers. A true treasure for kids of all ages!
Profile Image for Amber.
986 reviews
July 20, 2019
This is a book perfect for fans of Mister Rogers neighborhood. It is Poetry and song lyrics from the show. If you liked the show or are new to the show, definitely check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Profile Image for Lori.
1,164 reviews32 followers
February 22, 2019
Fans of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood will love this collection of song lyrics from the show. Fred Rogers wrote many of them, although Josie Carey contributed lyrics for several. Fred Rogers earned a degree in music composition and lent his skills to the accompanying music, which is not included in this collection focusing on the lyrics. The art work by Luke Flowers seems to fit the lyrics although the illustrations reflect the twenty-first century rather than the era of the show. For example, one illustration shows a modern flat screen computer monitor in a doctor's office. As I read the book and looked at the accompanying illustrations, I often thought, "We need Mister Rogers' influence on today's children." I received an electronic copy from the publisher through NetGalley with expectation of an honest review.
Profile Image for Dave Schaafsma.
Author 6 books31.2k followers
November 18, 2019
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #7 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was okay. A New York Times Bestseller, a second nominated book illustrated by Luke Flowers, building on the revival in numerous films and biographies and picturebooks of the beloved children's tv show host, who provides a kind of contrast to all the contemporary meanness, promoting empathy and self-esteem. At 143 pages, very long for a children's book, including the lyrics to 75 songs, accompanied by Flowers' cartoony digital illustration.

PS: And Rod Brown's review reminds me to say that several of these lyrics were not even written by Rogers, but by Josie Carey, so the title is false advertising.

Hank (13): 2.5. Too long, but most of the poems were okay.

Harry (14): 3. As Hank said, the book was too long, but the poems were good.

Tara: 3. Mr. Rogers is kind of in now. And I get it. He is a good, kind person. But the poetry works in the show, not so much in a book.

Dave: 1.5. First: Not a fan of Luke Flowers generic digital art. Then, Mr. Rogers is a national treasure, a Republican with a heart. And he was especially terrific when he sang his songs. To preserve 75 (!) of them here is overkill, though, and you know, I have books of lyrics of Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan and they are big and beautiful, but the words are meant to be sung, heard, watched in performance, preferably. Go on You Tube and watch and listen to Fred sing these songs and you will like them much more than reading the lyrics as poetry. (Am I undermining Mr. Rogers' message about kindness by hating on this book?! But ugh, I didn't like it much). I dropped my rating as Rod Brown helped me recall that he didn't even write most of these lyrics (or what Flowers and the publisher call "poems").
Profile Image for Mariah Roze.
1,015 reviews919 followers
February 3, 2020
This is a cute book filled with poems. It really reminded me of Dr. Seuss.

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood had a revolutionary impact on children's television, and on millions of children themselves. Through songs, puppets, and frank conversations, Mister Rogers instilled the values of kindness, patience, and self-esteem in his viewers, and most of all, taught children how loved they were, just by being themselves. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reimagines the songs from the show as poetry, ranging from the iconic ("Won't You Be My Neighbor?") to the forgotten gems. The poem are funny, sweet, silly, and sincere, dealing with topics of difficult feelings, new siblings, everyday routines, imagination, and more. Perfect for bedtime, sing-along, or quiet time, this book of nostalgic and meaningful poetry is the perfect gift for every child--including the child in all of us."
Profile Image for Melissa.
912 reviews3 followers
June 16, 2019
There is so much emotional intelligence in these poems but without the delivery and melodies I found them underwhelming. This is one case where I won't say the book was better.
Profile Image for Melissa Chung.
903 reviews325 followers
July 3, 2019
I want to thank Quirk books for sending me this collection of poems/lyrics written by Fred Rogers for an honest review. This is definitely not my demographic. Not my type of book, but as a mom and teacher I found it useful. 3 stars.

This collection has a total of 75 songs/poems. It says poetry on the front of the book, but songs on the back of the book. I "read" all of these poems out loud to my kids. When I say "read" I mean I sang them out loud to my children and since I don't know what the tune to any of these songs are, I made them up as I went along. As a teacher that works with mild to moderate students I found that a lot of these songs are validating for young students to feel good about themselves regardless if there feelings are good or bad.

I tabbed 5 songs out of the 75 that I enjoyed the most. I'll just give you the titles "What Do You Do With the Mad That You Feel?", "Sometimes Isn't Always", "I'd Like To Be Like Mom and Dad", "It Hurts To Be Lonely", and lastly, "It's Such a Good Feeling". These songs represented my children and I thought they were fun/funny songs/poems.

Overall as an adult the poems were rather silly and slightly lame. However, for a child they do help. They allow the child to feel good about expressing their feelings and that all feelings are validated.
Profile Image for Rod Brown.
4,947 reviews162 followers
November 10, 2019
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 4 to go! (And no time to track down the rest. Gotta vote!)

An interesting relic, but without Fred Rogers' voice soothing me into a state of acceptance, some of these song lyrics seem pretty corny or downright odd. Also, with so many Mister Rogers songs to choose from, why slap in the lyrics from 10 that are actually written by a woman named Josie Carey? Sure, Fred wrote the music for those songs, but the music is not presented here, the words are. And Carey's words usually don't fit in or, on the subject of wishes at least, downright clash with Rogers' sentiments. (Rogers: "No kinds of wishes make things come true." Carey: "Find a star and cross your fingers tight / Then your wishes might come true...Just keep on wishing anyway.")

Unrelated to my rating, this illustrated poetry collection doesn't seem like it should be included in the Goodreads Choice Awards Picture Books category. It's 143 pages long!
Profile Image for Genevieve Trono.
594 reviews95 followers
November 24, 2018
Mister Rogers was such a big part of my childhood and I am so happy to see the acknowledgment today of what a profound impact he and his show have had on children for so many decades. Fred Rogers was ahead of his time with his abilities to speak with children of all ages. He communicated in a respectful way that helped children learn about emotions, and issues in some a compassionate and forward-thinking manner while also helping them always feel acknowledged and heard.

This book is such a treasure and I loved being able to share these beautiful words with my own children. Fred Rogers had a unique ability to connect so thoughtfully with children and these messages about feelings and compassion are truly timeless. Thank you to NetGalley and Quirk Books for gifting me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kaytee Cobb.
1,764 reviews328 followers
February 13, 2019
This collection of poems would be a great gift for a kiddo going off to kindergarten. Or a teacher about to start teaching at the K or Pre-K level. Lovely illustrations, words for emotions that are hard for kiddos to express, this is a nice collection.
Profile Image for #AskMissPatience.
143 reviews19 followers
September 23, 2020
The last day I saw my dad alive during the pandemic via iPad broke my heart deeply. Even though it was peaceful and a few hours later he stopped breathing, it was still super sad.

I felt drawn to watch the Mister Rogers movie starring Tom Hanks, ’A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’. Not knowing what it is about other than the actor author Fred Rogers inspired the story, learned it was about me in part. Reflecting aspects of the relationship my dad and I had similarly as the storyline.

After the film, I hopped on Amazon and purchased every Fred Rogers book I could find including, ’A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’ published by The Fred Rogers Company.

On Father’s Day, (just a few weeks after dad died) I began my new tradition reading pages from this book and others Fred inspired.

For me, this blessing is from God. The thought came to me these are all the things my dad would have taught me if he knew how.

Father’s Day didn't feel as sad when I did this. I'm super glad to have a new ritual to help me connect with the memories of my dad. And, won't lie... I feel special. Just the way I am 😆

The note to readers at the beginning of another of Fred’s books, ’You Are Special’, starts with ”What is essential is invisible to the eye.” An all-time favorite line from a favorite book of mine, too, The Little Prince. Concludes with:

”So may it be with words in this book, which have been gathered from my speeches, songs, newspaper columns, books, and television programs. Once you’ve read them and made them your own, may they find their place in the innermost part of you - in that essential part of you that inspires you to be who you really are.” - Fred Rogers

Mister Rogers had me at The Little Prince. Even though I'm grown have learned it's never too late to nurture oneself.

Thank you Fred Rogers for your empathy, kind heart, and thoughtful mindful ideas shared generously. Maybe not intended for adults by publishers, it's obvious through Mister Rogers work this is true for anyone who needs love.

My very favorite pages of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is at the very back of the book. Page 143 is at its appearance just a digital animation of Fred including juvenile drawings. Under the surface, the reading why 1, 4, 3 are such essential numbers to Fred including ways he celebrates by meditating on these principles inspires me further with ideas as a budding author. I have a similar ritualistic method to my company logo.

Seeing Fred’s story and how the company portrayed this particular telling inspires me how to share my own backstory and how to draw people to Fred’s work while paying tribute to his influence in my own life. As a child. Then, through my son’s love of Mister Rogers. And, now within stories, poems, and biography from books like this. Including one special time, I'll read on Father’s Day every year from 2020 on.

What Fred offers for anyone is a way to connect with our inner child. Small bites of poetry inside this book burst with easy to consume wonder, love, and happiness. Through for some of us deeply shameful pain.

We’re never too old to find happiness or relief from sadness. For me, this book offers both.

Preparing to launch a children’s series and pursue similar ideals find this and the other books by or written with the intention of sharing Fred’s insight and love for humanity helpful glimpses to a wider perspective of who I could reach through partnering with Fred’s spirit.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 💯🚀❤️❤️❤️😁
Profile Image for Shainlock .
702 reviews
May 26, 2020
The times that I was able to watch Mr. Rogers when I was young I remember as soothing and entrancing. His voice just was just very calming and reassuring. So, reading some of his songs and poems was bringing some of that back. One of the puppets creeped me out, I must admit, but the man’s voice was very soothing.
December 30, 2019
When I was quite young, I didn't develop a love or fondness for Mr. Rogers till I was much older. He had a wonderful way of teaching young children the wonderful way of learning and teaching us how to be wise in what we learn. With Daniel Tiger, the new version of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is a good way to teach concepts to young children of the many lessons life can teach.

Fred Rogers, a Presbyterian minister from Pittsburgh better known simply as Mr. Rogers, is an unlikely movie star, and also an unlikely guy to be at the center of a movie. Mr. Rogers, after all, was the personification of niceness in a medium that prefers a little tension and conflict, a good guy who refuses to search for bad guys to tangle with.

But Morgan Neville’s exceptional documentary “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” solved the problem last year by finding the doubt and pain at the heart of Mr. Rogers’ niceness, and by showing how much his purposefully cheesy “Land of Make Believe” in his long-running show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” was grappling with real-world problems. And Marielle Heller’s “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” which had its world premiere at September’s Toronto International Film Festival, takes the different approach of making Mr. Rogers the balm that helps heal a different troubled person, a magazine journalist badly in need of a shot of kindness.

It might be the softest, slowest movie that played in Toronto this year — but those are perfectly apt choices to tell this story. “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” finds a gentle state of grace and shows the courage and smarts to stay in that zone, never rushing things or playing for drama.

Make no mistake, there’s big drama here, as Matthew Rhys’ Lloyd Vogel — a slightly fictionalized version of Esquire journalist Tom Junod — is spurred by an interview with Fred Rogers to heal a stormy relationship with the philandering father who deserted the family when his wife fell ill.

But just as Mr. Rogers used his show to talk about big issues with children in a tone that was softer and more halting than you’d expect given the subject matter, so does Heller stick to understatement in a way that threatens to become dull or sappy but never does. What she pulls off here is a small, sweet miracle of sorts.

In her previous two films, “Diary of a Teenage Girl” and “Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Heller proved to be a remarkably empathetic and understated director, with a knack for comedy in the stories of troubled people.

And this film is indeed very funny, as investigative journalist Vogel chafes at the idea of a 400-word assignment to write about Rogers for a special issue devoted to heroes. And when his subject refuses to be bothered by tough questions, often as not thanking the writer for his insight, Vogel throws up his hands at the idea of getting a decent article out of it.

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” is the most beguiling thing, a movie that feels entirely truthful even within its own Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

Loosely based on actual events, it follows the relationship between an ill-tempered magazine writer and the nicest man in America: Fred Rogers, or Mr. Rogers, as he is known to the millions of children who have embraced his long-running program. Directed with a gossamer-light touch by Marielle Heller, the picture occupies that eerie zone where drabness meets eccentricity, truth blurs into fiction and a beloved TV personality can merge, almost seamlessly, with a beloved film actor.

That actor would be Tom Hanks, who quickly lays your doubts to rest in the movie’s daring, disarming prologue. With a song on his lips, Hanks’ Mr. Rogers walks into a familiar house and goes through a set of equally familiar motions, donning a red cardigan and a pair of sneakers. Soon, he is peering intently into the camera, the better for us to see every detail of the actor’s transformation, the graying hair and the twinkling smile. Mostly, though, we’re drawn in by the unhurried rhythms of his speech as he tells us about a friend of his, Lloyd Vogel, who’s going through a tough time.

This framing sequence is a remarkable feat of mimicry, a gentle mike drop of an intro that quickly establishes a mood of calm (as Mr. Rogers always should), but also a note of grown-up unease. The power of “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” you may recall, had everything to do with the warmth and specificity of its approach, its compassionate regard for every member of the audience. Mr. Rogers may reach millions every week, but as he notes here, he always tries “to look through the camera into the eyes of a single child.”

Although its own audience skews a bit older, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” addresses the viewer with a similar intensity of feeling. One reason this tender, unabashedly therapeutic story is so effective — genuinely moving rather than trite in its plea for love, understanding and forgiveness — is that it seems to anticipate your every eye-roll. (It even indulges a few of its own, puncturing the saintly aura that has often coalesced around its famous subject.) It might be presumptuous of me to say that this movie spoke to me directly, or that it will have special resonance with any skeptical, embittered print journalists in the audience, but it wouldn’t necessarily be inaccurate.

There is so much to learn and enjoy in the book and the movie. I gained a lot more as an older person than I would have as a youngster. I highly recommend. No matter how old we are, Mr. Rogers is a terrific example. Wishes for a Happy New Year.
Profile Image for Mariah Dawn.
107 reviews1 follower
June 7, 2022
These are great. I thought many of these were perfect for the child who has trouble naming their emotions or who struggles to self-regulate. We might be memorizing some out of here over the summer.
Profile Image for Lisa Mandina.
1,811 reviews406 followers
March 19, 2019
As the synopsis points out, this book really made me so nostalgic. So many of the songs/poems that were in the book I could hear being recited or sung in Mister Rogers' voice. I recently saw the documentary about Mister Rogers, and this book is coming out at the perfect time to tie in with those who were now thinking about their childhood, or else wanting to share those memories with children of their own. Obviously the poetry and songs are very simple, just the way they worked on his show, and for singing to kids. I really enjoyed this as I said, and I can't wait to share it with my 7 year old niece and one year old nephew. A great add to any children's library, full of fun poems and songs you can sing with them!

Review first appeared on Lisa Loves Literature.
Profile Image for Darla.
3,139 reviews447 followers
March 1, 2019
This charming collection of the poetry from Mister Roger's Neighborhood is a bit like a walk down memory lane. It can also be an introduction to the timeless words of wisdom shared by an icon in children's programming. Since I was reading an ARC, the illustrations were not all finished, but there was great promise in them as well. Highly recommended!

Thanks, Quirk Books for a paperback ARC and to Edelweiss for the availability of a digital ARC to see this publication in advance.
Profile Image for Hazel Grey.
36 reviews1 follower
April 18, 2019
Really no complaints, my only reason for not giving it five stars was because I wanted MORE. It was cute and charming. Definitely gifting to my niece.
Profile Image for Amy Freeman.
138 reviews1 follower
May 6, 2019
I want to read this to every child I know. You are special. You are in control. You are exactly who you are meant to be. I like you.
Profile Image for Vanya Prodanova.
664 reviews26 followers
October 28, 2020
Не разбирам защо тази книга се води детска при условие, че е толкова голяма и стиховете са толкова дълги.

Истината е, че не знам кой е Мистър Роджър и определено предизвиква сериозна агресия в мен само като го погледна, но някои от стиховете всъщност ми харесаха и да бъдем искрени бяха по-насочени към възрастни, отколкото към деца. Затова и така се чудя дали наистина децата са истинската таргет група или техните родители, защото ако са техните родители тази книжка трябва да изглежда много различно и да не е в категория "Picture Books".

Илюстрациите също не бяха по мой вкус, но това вече е до лични предпочитания. Просто не ми допадна стилът, в който рисува илюстраторът, но текстурата и самите идеи, които е използвал да илюстрира книжката, заслужават адмирации и определено ме накараха да се възхищавам на уменията му в това отношение, но как рисува хора и животни - не, благодаря.

Определено има къде-къде по-хубави детски книжки... Уви, за пореден път става ясно, че Goodreads Choice Awards са конкурс по популярност и нищо повече. :/
Profile Image for debbicat *made of stardust*.
715 reviews103 followers
July 23, 2019
5 stars! If you love Fred Rogers you must own this. It has all of his sweet, loving songs he used in his tv show. Many he wrote and come from his great big heart that was filled with love compassion, and tolerance for all others.

Fred loved kids and wanted them to feel that love and acceptance. He treated everyone the same. The words are beautiful. The illustrations are exceptional. I will purchase a copy for my classroom.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a digital copy to read for review. It is just perfect.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
365 reviews4 followers
December 14, 2020
A wonderful collection of the songs Mr Rogers wrote and performed on his program. A great antidote to watching the news.
Profile Image for Becky.
4,983 reviews91 followers
January 2, 2019

First sentence:

Won't You Be My Neighbor
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Could you be mine?

Premise/plot: Quirk is publishing the poetry of Mister Rogers. I'll give you a moment or two to squeal. Most of the pieces are by Fred Rogers. But quite a few are by Josie Carey with the music being by Fred Rogers. These poems--or lyrics if you prefer--are noted as such. The book contains pieces that you'd expect: "Won't You Be My Neighbor," "Everything Grows Together," "Many Ways To Say I Love You," "You Are Special," "I'm Proud of You," "It's You I Like," and "What Do You Do With the Mad That You Feel." But it also contains pieces that you've likely unfamiliar with. The songs that I did not know sometimes offered the most poetic food for thought.

I do not believe the book contains every poem--or song--by Mister Rogers. I can think of a handful it doesn't seem to include. (For example, "I'm Taking Care of You," "Look and Listen," "Peace and Quiet," "One and One are Two," "Everybody's Fancy."

This site seems to have a thorough listing of all the songs--including the ones from the operas.

My thoughts: I LOVED this one. I especially loved the illustrations that were connected with Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. For example, the illustration that goes with "It's You I Like" shows Mr. Rogers singing with a boy in a wheel chair. Adults most likely will make the connection to a very memorable episode. I'm not sure if children will be as familiar with the show. But whether your little one knows the shows or not--the words have a way of speaking for themselves. Some of them are timeless and WONDERFUL.

Excerpts from some of my favorites.

It's Good To Talk
People weren't born to be silent
Our tongues make wonderful sounds.
Just try a few phrases for practice
You'll see there are very few bounds.

Things Are Different
You never know the story
By the cover of the book.
You can't tell what a dinner's like
By simply looking at the cook.

Sometimes Isn't Always
Sometimes I DON'T feel like combing my hair.
I DON'T feel like washing my face sometimes.
Sometimes I DON'T feel like saying okay.
But sometimes isn't always.

Are You Brave?
Are you brave and don't know it?
Are you brave and can't tell?
Are you brave and just don't show it?
While others know it very well?
Are you brave and you wonder?
Are you brave and you doubt?

Then Your Heart Is Full of Love
Love is fragile as your tears.
Love is stronger than your fears.
When your heart can sing another's gladness
Then your heart is full of love.
When your heart can cry another's sadness
Then your heart is full of love.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 568 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.