Start by marking “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers” as Want to Read:
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers

For the first time ever, the beloved songs from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood are collected here in a charmingly-illustrated treasury, sure to be cherished by adults who grew up with Mister Rogers, and a new generation of children alike.

Published March 19th 2019 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Start your review of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This is a wonderful and lyrical book of children's songs and poems from the Mr. Rodgers Show. I raised four daughters who loved this show. It was such a beautifully quiet show but with enough going on that it kept their interest. We all loved when they would show short films of visiting different places, I remember a crayon factory being a favorite.

Back to the book, the poems are indeed a Treasury. They would be wonderful to read to your children at any time and then later the
Calista
I grew up watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. This is literally a book of poetry. Poetry that were all the songs Mr. Rogers sang on his program over the many decades it was on. There are poem after poem collected here. There have to be over 100 poems.

I did think this would be a story about him, but it is a collection of his songs. Several of them brought back a memory of actually hearing the song as a child. This didn’t work for the children. We read a few of them and they didn’t want to keep goin
Trish
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had not known about Fred Rogers until I saw that Tom Hanks was making a movie about the man. Then I started looking into him and his children's program, followed by me watching the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbour (I recommend everyone watch it, it's fantastic).

Then, by coincidence (or not, maybe the publication of this was simply timed wisely since the movie is about to be released soon), I saw this book as a contender in the Goodreads Choice Awards in the category of "Best Picture Book"
Candace Robinson
Literally one of the greatest human beings to have ever existed! I grew up with the television show and hearing Mr. Rogers speak, and he was always so genuine. He was also so amazing with adding diversity to his shows and the world!

I loved these poems! They were so incredibly encouraging not only for children but adults. It's okay to feel sad sometimes and it's okay to feel happy too because that's what makes us human. Some of the poems showed love about being different, about loving yourself, a
Jessaka
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
“It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beautywood
A neighborly day for a beauty
Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you

So let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together, we might as well say
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please
Won't you please
Pl
Sophie Crane
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, film-tv
This book is a must for any fan of Fred Rogers! 75 songs presented as poetry with fun, colorful illustrations. The poems, much like Mister Roger's Neighborhood, touch on many things that go through children's minds. It will make you laugh, cry, and inspire you to be more like that incredible man on the TV who always liked us no matter what.
Tess Taylor
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, read-poetry
You are my friend,
You're special to me.
There's only one
In this wonderful world.
You are special.

Let's start off this decade with some truly positive vibes! And to me, there is nothing more positive or beautiful than the words of Mr. Rogers. His songs are bound and illustrated in this beautiful collection by Luke Flowers. A true treasure for kids of all ages!
Amber
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-library
This is a book perfect for fans of Mister Rogers neighborhood. It is Poetry and song lyrics from the show. If you liked the show or are new to the show, definitely check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Lori
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood will love this collection of song lyrics from the show. Fred Rogers wrote many of them, although Josie Carey contributed lyrics for several. Fred Rogers earned a degree in music composition and lent his skills to the accompanying music, which is not included in this collection focusing on the lyrics. The art work by Luke Flowers seems to fit the lyrics although the illustrations reflect the twenty-first century rather than the era of the show. For example, one ...more
Mariah Roze
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a cute book filled with poems. It really reminded me of Dr. Seuss.

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood had a revolutionary impact on children's television, and on millions of children themselves. Through songs, puppets, and frank conversations, Mister Rogers instilled the values of kindness, patience, and self-esteem in his viewers, and most of all, taught children how loved they were, just by being themselves. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reimagines the songs from the show as poetry, ra
David Schaafsma
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #7 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was okay. A New York Times Bestseller, a second nominated book illustrated by Luke Flowers, building on the revival in numerous films and biographies and picturebooks of the beloved children's tv show host, who provides a kind of contrast to all the contemporary meanness, promoting empathy and self-esteem. At 143 pages, very long for a children's book, includin ...more
Melissa Chung
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I want to thank Quirk books for sending me this collection of poems/lyrics written by Fred Rogers for an honest review. This is definitely not my demographic. Not my type of book, but as a mom and teacher I found it useful. 3 stars.

This collection has a total of 75 songs/poems. It says poetry on the front of the book, but songs on the back of the book. I "read" all of these poems out loud to my kids. When I say "read" I mean I sang them out loud to my children and since I don't know what the tun
Genevieve Trono
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mister Rogers was such a big part of my childhood and I am so happy to see the acknowledgment today of what a profound impact he and his show have had on children for so many decades. Fred Rogers was ahead of his time with his abilities to speak with children of all ages. He communicated in a respectful way that helped children learn about emotions, and issues in some a compassionate and forward-thinking manner while also helping them always feel acknowledged and heard.

This book is such a treas
Kaytee Cobb
This collection of poems would be a great gift for a kiddo going off to kindergarten. Or a teacher about to start teaching at the K or Pre-K level. Lovely illustrations, words for emotions that are hard for kiddos to express, this is a nice collection.
Patience K Phillips
The last day I saw my dad alive during the pandemic via iPad broke my heart deeply. Even though it was peaceful and a few hours later he stopped breathing, it was still super sad.

I felt drawn to watch the Mister Rogers movie starring Tom Hanks, ’A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’. Not knowing what it is about other than the actor author Fred Rogers inspired the story, learned it was about me in part. Reflecting aspects of the relationship my dad and I had similarly as the storyline.

After the f
Rod Brown
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 4 to go! (And no time to track down the rest. Gotta vote!)

An interesting relic, but without Fred Rogers' voice soothing me into a state of acceptance, some of these song lyrics seem pretty corny or downright odd. Also, with so many Mister Rogers songs to choose from, why slap in the lyrics from 10 that are actually written by a woman named Josie Carey? Sure, Fred wrote the music for those s
Melissa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
There is so much emotional intelligence in these poems but without the delivery and melodies I found them underwhelming. This is one case where I won't say the book was better.
Carol
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was quite young, I didn't develop a love or fondness for Mr. Rogers till I was much older. He had a wonderful way of teaching young children the wonderful way of learning and teaching us how to be wise in what we learn. With Daniel Tiger, the new version of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is a good way to teach concepts to young children of the many lessons life can teach.

Fred Rogers, a Presbyterian minister from Pittsburgh better known simply as Mr. Rogers, is an unlikely movie star, and also an
Kristy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice read that makes you feel good
Lisa Mandina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the synopsis points out, this book really made me so nostalgic. So many of the songs/poems that were in the book I could hear being recited or sung in Mister Rogers' voice. I recently saw the documentary about Mister Rogers, and this book is coming out at the perfect time to tie in with those who were now thinking about their childhood, or else wanting to share those memories with children of their own. Obviously the poetry and songs are very simple, just the way they worked on his show, and ...more
Hazel Grey
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really no complaints, my only reason for not giving it five stars was because I wanted MORE. It was cute and charming. Definitely gifting to my niece.
Amy Freeman
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this to every child I know. You are special. You are in control. You are exactly who you are meant to be. I like you.
debbicat
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars! If you love Fred Rogers you must own this. It has all of his sweet, loving songs he used in his tv show. Many he wrote and come from his great big heart that was filled with love compassion, and tolerance for all others.

Fred loved kids and wanted them to feel that love and acceptance. He treated everyone the same. The words are beautiful. The illustrations are exceptional. I will purchase a copy for my classroom.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a digital copy t
Erin
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You are never too old with anything related to Mr. Rogers.
Marti M
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really beautiful
Becky

First sentence:

Won't You Be My Neighbor
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Could you be mine?

Premise/plot: Quirk is publishing the poetry of Mister Rogers. I'll give you a moment or two to squeal. Most of the pieces are by Fred Rogers. But quite a few are by Josie Carey with the music being by Fred Rogers. These poems--or lyrics if you prefer--are noted as such. The book contains pieces that you'd expect: "Won't You Be My Neighbor," "Ev
Laura (Book Scrounger)
I'm so glad I grew up watching Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on TV. I have good memories of the characters and the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, especially the Bubble Land and Josephine the Short-Necked Giraffe operas. But the show wouldn't have been the same without Fred Rogers himself, something I was reminded of again while watching the excellent documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor?.

So I was glad to have a chance to read A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers. There w
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley and Quirk Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

No matter what neighbourhood you live in, you are bound to have heard of Mr. Rogers. Fred Rogers was an incredible man, musician, puppeteer, writer, composer and children’s educator that was most famous for his television show Mister Rogers’ Neighbourhood. He revolutionized the way children’s shows reached children. He didn’t believe in t
Amy
Truly an emotional read - a book that was literally able to bring a smile to my face and tears to my eyes, at the exact same time, this book of poetry is a collection of 75 songs from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

I don't remember all of these being sung - some I just remember Rogers' saying, but for songs such as, It's You I Like and Won't You Be My Neighbor, I sang right along as I read the words.

Illustrator, Luke Flowers did an excellent job in bringing Rogers' words to life, especially if you w
Nadina
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Perhaps if paired with the music for the songs many of these "poems" would have been better, but I felt like I have read much better children's poetry from various other authors.
The illustrations were nice and it's perhaps not a bad idea to collect all of the songs into a book, but I fell this is more for the memories of adults who used to watch the show than for kids. It feels lacking something for kids.

• Unicorn Day
  • Just Because
  • Hair Love
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Sulwe
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • Because
  • Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: A Visual History
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Undefeated
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.