Start by marking “Crime Chowder (Death Du Jour Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crime Chowder (Death Du Jour Mystery, #1)

Crime Chowder (Death Du Jour Mystery, #1)

She’s serving up soup—with a side of gunpowder.

Aspiring chef Bethany Bradstreet dreams of opening her own restaurant, but she knows she has to work her way up from her current job as a fry cook. So when her real estate developer boyfriend offers her a sweet catering gig, she jumps at the chance to cook for his gala and rub elbows with the town’s elite.

The problem? That fa
Published December 13th 2018 by Hilyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Crime Chowder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime Chowder

Bev
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Bethany Bradstreet wants to open her own restaurant, but right now she is a fry cook for someone else. When her boyfriend offers her a chance to cater a fancy gala, she finds out that the only reason she got the job is because her best friend's home was burnt down by an arsonist. Big problem is that the arsonist just might be her boyfriend! The someone is killed and the murder weapon is found in a pot of her clam chowder.....now Bethany is really in hot water!!! Can she prove she is not the kill ...more
Merry Chapman
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This first book in a new series was a wonderful surprise and I can't wait to read more books in this series! Bethany and her best friend and roommate, Kimmie went to culinary school together. Kimmie works as a sous chef for a nice restaurant, while Bethany dreams of owning her own restaurant works as a fry cook in a local eatery as a stop gap measure to get experience and confidence to go the next step. When Kimmie and Bethany look out their apartment window, they see a house on fire in Kimmie's ...more
Bernadette Cinkoske
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crime Chowder is the first book in the new Death du Jour mystery series. This book is a great start and I am eager to read more books in this series. Bethany Bradstreet is a great cook and crime solver. The plot contains arson as well as murder. The characters are all well written. The reader is treated to some Connecticut history, recipes and a good mystery. I highly recommend Crime Chowder.
Janet Graham
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cozy Murder in Connecticut
This cozy murder mystery takes place in Connecticut. It features French-influenced cooking and baking with recipes. The plot is intriguing with plenty of historical color. The characters are just quirky enough to be believable. This is the first book in the series and I plan on reading the entire series. I received this book for free and this is my honest review.
Barbara Brostek
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining Cozy Mystery!
Cute entry for Hillary Avis’ new series. Her characters are warm, funny and believable, especially Sharky’s antics. A quick, easy read. The story is well written and enjoyable. I look forward to reading more in the future. I was given an arc copy and am happy to leave my honest review.
Krystyna
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Arson and murder do not make a healthy meal

A good start to a new series. I did guess the culprit quite early on even though a few looked guilty. The characters are still a bit shallow but should improve. Although I was surprised that they let the dog destroy their furniture and took no action. Regardless of what state it is in, it's still something you don't want to have to replace.
An early morning fire has her and her roommate speeding to the scene. As it is a fire at her BFF's aunt's house. W
Cats of Ulthar
CRIME CHOWDER is Book 1 in the new DEATH DU JOUR series, starring a feckless but endearing protagonist, who for a change is female (in the sense that feckless protagonists are in my experience usually male). Bethany Bradstreet aspires to be a chef, with her own establishment. That shouldn't be a problem; but it does require a certain number of years of experience, preferably as a sous chef rather than as a fry cook in a chain seafood restaurant. But Bethany is determined to be patient, at least ...more
Ellen White
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bethany has dreams and a boyfriend she isn’t sure he is on the up and up.
Asking her to cook for a gala event of his, she enjoys the chance, listening to the people. Until murder happens, and it was a dish of hers. Arson of her aunts and now this. It is funny and she has a quirky aunt, good flowing plot.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series and the first time reading this author. The main character is Bethany and her boyfriend Todd, who is trying to build condos. He ends up being murdered. The murder weapon is found in a pot of chowder that Bethany made, throwing her name into the suspect pile. Bethany has to figure out who did what and fast. Great book.
D Marie
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC copy and this is my honest review. This the second book I’ve read by this author and I enjoyed it. I know that Todd was kind of off and snobbish, but I liked him as a character. Alex deserves everything he gets and Bethany is growing on me. Amara is very eccentric but I like her with George for some reason. Can’t wait for book 2.
Sara
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute!

I really enjoyed this! It’s more of a prequel to the short story, as we learn just how Bethany got so good at her sleuthing, but this was a delightful read. I enjoyed the recipes at the end as well. Definitely going to try that chowder!!
Mary Heiner
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crime Chowder

This is really a good book. I enjoyed the characters as they made the story what it was. The recipes were fun to try.
Evonne Hutton
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lose your job and you boyfriend on the same day? Check!
Making a wonderful chowder and get outed in the newspaper as a murderer? Check!
Finding a job and the murderer may take a bit longer though!
Christine Hayes
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
was good
Rachael A
Jan 16, 2019
Lois Ann
Jan 15, 2019
nnnasher
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2019