Start by marking “Winterdream” as Want to Read:
Winterdream

Winterdream

This Christmas Eve… no creature was stirring…

Except, maybe, a mouse.

At long last, can true love break the Nutcracker’s curse?

For Clara Stahlbaum, this Christmas means the end of her youth. A daughter of the aristocracy, Clara is expected to give up her dreams of adventures and the extraordinary for more normal days as the wife of a cruel Viscount.

But when magical Uncle
Published November 27th 2018 by Parliament House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Winterdream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterdream

Start your review of Winterdream
Sylvie
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every year on Christmas day I either go and see The Nutcracker's bellet or watch a Nutcracker movie, this year I'm reading a retelling.

This book took me much longer than I was intending to, but I'm not complaining at all.
I have to admit, 'Winterdream' has been the closest retelling to the original story. I've read a few other Nutcracker retellings when I was younger, however I can't remember the names, which means they weren't as good as this version.

It's a perefect Christmas read, filled with
Sheila Goicea
See my full review of this book on my blog along with others at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

description

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Violence, Class Division/Prejudice

BLURB: A retelling of The Nutcracker and the Mouse King reminiscent of The Secret Garden, Winter Dream is a beautiful gesture to this Yuletide tale.

description

It’s been a long time sinc
Ioana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen."

This book has placed Chantal Gadoury on my top favourites authors list.
This books has everything: a whimsical land, a strong female lead, a charming male counterpart. I simply loved it.
It is the perfect read for this time of year.
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a nice Nutcracker retelling even though it didn't blow me away.

It felt like younger YA to me, even though there were some older aspects, like the main character being 18 and worrying about having to marry someone she didn't like out of duty, as well as a couple scenes of violence, so that threw me off a bit. I also felt like the writing kind of skimmed the surface. The characters and
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
Chantal Gadoury is truly magnificent at her fairytale retellings. She truly captures the fairytale tone and feeling perfectly and it really sucks you in. The land of Winter Dream was truly magical and whimsical and I felt like I was just placed right into some of my favorite childhood stories! It felt young and fun in all the best ways while at the same time adding in serious tones and intense storylines which I think is definitely a feat in itself!

I also love our characters, especially our mai
Tyffany
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

So I went into Winterdream with an open mind—it's been a long while since I've even read the original Nutcracker, but I remembered it being one of my favorites.

And Gadoury did it beautiful justice. With her smooth, elegant writing style and lively characters she really breathed fresh life into an old classic. After the beginning, which admittedly was a bit slow to start, I was absorbed into her beautiful retelling.

Can't wait to read more
Princess
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
~*~Received and ARC for a honest review~*~

The Nutcracker has always been a favorite story mine for the holidays and I'm always a sucker for any retelling of it I could find. Reading Winterdream is like reading a fairy tale or revisiting a long lost dream.

The magic, the world and the characters were all so familiar yet there is also a twist to them. Although I have some suspicion on what will happen next, the reveal near the end of the book is a really nice twist to the story of the Nutcracker.
Cecily Wolfe
Another gorgeous story from this author, who is truly the princess of fairy tale retellings. I've loved every book of hers I've read, but this is hands-down my very favorite. I read this sitting by my fireplace, falling completely into the setting with the lush and evocative descriptions, as well as the emotional journey of these compelling characters. Gadoury shows that girls and women can be strong and vulnerable at the same time, which is a reflection of her ability to bring such depth to her ...more
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
I know I repeat myself but I love Chantal Gadoury's books so much-and it just might be my favourite. (Yeah, I know that I say it after every new one comes out) When I was reading it I've finally realized that Chantal Gadoury doesn't write novels or retellings-she writes fairy tales. And by fairy tales I mean the old-school, not the Disney kind, full of magic and true love but also horror and cruelty. WinterDream is a classic fairy tale at its finest and the proof of its brilliance is simple: whe ...more
Chiara | _ckarys
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recieved a free e-arc from the author in exchange for an honest review.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, my friends! I am a huge fan of all things Christmas, and yet it hadn’t crossed my mind to read a holiday book until Chantal Gadoury gracefully reached out to me with Winterdream. As a fan of many of her previous books, I accepted right away, and I am very glad I did! This book immediately put me into the Christmas spirit, dragging me into an enchanting world of magic, romance and ad
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
‘Let me help you save WinterDream.”
It was a sweet retelling. I loved the way the author described Winter Dream and made it very appealing with vivid imagery-. the sceneries were so lovely that I could imagine the castle, the forest with sugar flakes, the delicate gowns, the taste of fresh baked cookies. The author did a great job in setting Winter Dream and its residents.
As for the characters, the Nutcracker was a gentleman, the villain was the mainstream villain and I did not think it was a big
Alicia Gaile
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet and charming version of the nutcracker that takes everything wonderful about the ballet and gives the reader room to explore. The Nutcracker is charming and heroic, and the Mouse King is a suitably menacing figure lurking in the shadows. Fans of the ballet will enjoy seeing familiar scenes unfold and the characters fleshed out.

I received an arc copy in exchange for an honest review.
Loie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this magical retelling of the Nutcracker! It was just amazing. I've read a few of Chantal's books in the past and she has a lovely writing style. Her characters are fully fleshed and the setting is so atmospheric.

I loved that Clara is strong and clever. She's a Russian gal in 1800s. Chantal captures this time perfectly. Gah! Such a beautiful story!! I'm re-reading it closer to Christmas <3
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Many people are familiar with the story of The Nutcracker by Alexandre Dumas, or various translations of the story. If you have never read the book, you may have seen the ballet or a televised version of the story. This is a retelling of that story, told from Clara's point of view. The location is changed to Russia, but the story basically follows the plot I am familiar with, but with several twists. Clara still received a nutcracker from her uncle, but she is a bit older and is being pursued by ...more
Aislinn Honeycutt
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book early for an honest review, and honestly, I have never been one for Christmas stories. While the Nutcracker is my favorite ballet, I never read much of the story beyond what was presented to me as a child.
This story felt like an absolute fairy tale and while I had some suspicions towards outcomes for several of the characters, I wasnt prepared for the truth that was unveiled in the final chapters.
Chantal has a knack for writing strong willed female leads who overcome the tri
Rachael Hillis
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret I adore the holidays, and The Nutcracker has always been a favorite holiday story of mine. I'll admit I was sceptical of this retelling but within a few chapters I was hooked! Incredibly written with very well rounded and enchanting characters and a story that caught my breath like it was my first time reading the nutcracker all over again. Would 100% recommend!
Pretty Bibliophile
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I truly believe that I read Winter Dream at the best possible time of the year – its winter and Christmas is just a couple weeks away. This book really geared me up for the festive season ahead.
As is clear from the synopsis, Winterdream is a retelling of the original Nutcracker story and oh what a retelling! I really enjoyed reading this book and I love that Chantal has such a penchant for creating these amazing retellings of fairytales that we all know.

With her classic elegant style of writing
Katherine Paschal
**Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/ **

Clara is growing up, regardless of her desire against it, and everything is changing. Her best friend has been engaged, and no longer wants to be bothered with their fanciful games of the past. That means too, that Clara is a woman and will soon be wed off, regardless of her hopes to travel instead. When her family has their traditional Christmas Ball, an unwanted suitor makes his intentions known as well as a surprising gift may c
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
"Look with your heart. Look with your mind."

I just finished reading WinterDream and I'll start by saying that author Chantal Gadoury is truly gifted as her fairy tales are always created with a magic spell that captivates me from beginning to end. This storyline was beautifully flawless and her characters leaped out of the pages and invited me into the magical world of WinterDream were I felt all the emotions that were written on each page and fell further in love with the Nutcracker.

If you are
Justine Barr
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An adventurous retelling of an old story.

Winter Dream begins with a Christmas Eve celebration, a familiar cast of Russian characters, and a Nutcracker given as a gift (much like the traditional Nutcracker ballet). After a battle with a certain Mouse King, the characters find themselves swept away into Winter Dream, a delicious fairytale world full of Christmas magic and sinister villains.

I was enchanted by this retelling and sped through the story with ease. The characters are well developed, wi
Maria Elena | _mkarys
This book was a magical experience that filled me with that Christmas spirit that I love!

It will come as no surprise now how much I adore Chantal Gadoury’s books. She always manages to capture the atmosphere of a setting and make the reader live it through the page. Personally I am not an expert on the Nutcracker, my only memories of it are ties to my childhood (guess who’s going to wait for the new Disney movie to come out on DVD now?) but who doesn’t know at least the gist of the tale? The au
Lauralee
When Clara arrives at a Christmas party, she finds that her parents want her to marry a boorish suitor that will bring her money and a title. She dreads the fact that she will not marry for love. While she is assigned to entertain him, she meets a mysterious man named Anton, who is her uncle’s apprentice. As she flirts with Anton, her uncle gives her a nutcracker as her Christmas gift. When the clock strikes midnight, her nutcracker comes alive, and Clara must break his curse. Can Clara save the ...more
Dave Wickenden
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the retelling of the classic Christmas story of the Nutcracker. For those who love the story, the ballet, or the children’s movie; you will not be disappointed.

Ms Gadoury’s mastery of words transports the reader into 19th century Russia with the grand festivals and massive homes of the rich. No doubt because of my love of the music, I found myself humming the haunting melodies of Tchaikovsky’s masterpiece while immersed in her story.

This is a love story and Clara is no child. But it has
Natalie

An interesting retelling of the Nutcracker, but it was fairly predictable, especially the identity of the villain. There were only a couple of secondary characters, so it was fairly obvious who the villain was. The pacing was slow, but the story was interesting and overall I enjoyed the book.
Elaine
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect fairytale

That was the best fairy tale retelling I've read, I love anything to do with the Nutcracker and this as the best retelling, it stayed close to the original tale but bringing it forward with a modernish twist.
Reem
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 magical stars

"Magical beings are all around us. Some are more obvious to see than others. But we all have magic living inside of ourselves."

Once again I've read another beautiful, magical fairytale by Chantal Gadoury.
WinterDream is the perfect winter/christmas read. It's a retelling of the Nutcracker. It's been a while since I read the original one, but I loved Chantal's version so much. She writes the best kind of fairytales. The ones filled with magic, adventures and true love, and als
Zach
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2019
Interesting read. I am not super familiar with The Nutcracker, so it was cool to see the story told like this. Reminded me somewhat of Narnia or Stardust.

I must note, I saw two typos, and I know someone who will be most displeased to discover them.

Overall though, an enjoyable Christmas read.
Moa (The Reading Faery)
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
As this was my first book by Gadoury, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But since I love retellings and haven't read a Nutcracker retelling before, I was excited to give this one a try. And boy, did it deliver.

Winterdream was am absolutely magical read. I immediately fell in love with Clara and the Nutcracker. Clara was such a sweet, brave character, and I loved her from the start. And the romance was really sweet, and clean, which I found refreshing.

The setting of this story was the true hig
Kayleigh
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I was kindly sent a copy of this to review.

Overall, it was a nice, quick read. As a retelling of the Nutcracker I think it’s perfect for this time of year to get you into a more festive feeling!

As far as characters went, I liked Clara but that’s about as much as I can say about her. Although I did like that she managed to stand up for herself at the end.

Anton, I did like a lot. He was gentle and kind but willing to protect Winter Dream at any cost.

The world building was lovely and Winter Dream
Yang Soraya
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book earlier on for an honest review, and honestly, I was so happy to be given the chance. This was an amazing retelling of the classic nutcracker story. The way Chantal managed to keep the original story of the nutcracker in her book despite changing it into an amazing new story is magnificent. Once I started reading, I could not stop, but was conflicted because I do not want the story to end. This is everything that I have ever hoped for the nutcracker. I loved how h ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Enchanted Sonata
  • Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
  • Hook & Crown
  • The Silence of Bones
  • The Body in Griffith Park (Anna Blanc Mysteries, #3)
  • So Others May Live
  • Inside
  • A Whisper in the Dark (Charlie Travesty, #1)
  • Echo North
  • The Silent Patient: The First Three Chapters
  • Donn's Hill (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)
  • Stolen (The Stolen Series, #1)
  • Kingdom of Embers (Kingdom Journals #1)
  • These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)
  • Visions of Zarua
  • A Memory in the Flame (Charlie Travesty, #3)
  • A Light in the Dusk (Charlie Travesty, #2)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
Chantal Gadoury is an Amazon Best Selling Author who is originally from the countryside of Muncy, PA. Chantal likes anything Disney, plays a mean game of Disney trivia, enjoys painting and has a interest in British History. Chantal first started writing stories at the age of seven and continues that love of writing today. As a recent college graduate from Susquehanna University, with a degree in C ...more