Start by marking “The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)

The Ruin of Kings

(A Chorus of Dragons #1)

What if you weren't the hero?

As a bard’s apprentice, Kihrin grew up with tales of legendary deeds. He also steals, desperate to buy a way out of Quur’s slums. Then he raids the wrong house, he’s marked by a demon and life will never be the same again.

Kihrin’s plight brings him to the attention of royalty, who claim him as the lost son of their immoral prince. But far from
Published February 7th 2019 by Tor UK (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruin of Kings, please sign up.
Megan There's a lot of talk about rape, naughty bits, sex, violence, etc. Personally I would class it as adult fantasy. That wouldn't have stopped me from…moreThere's a lot of talk about rape, naughty bits, sex, violence, etc. Personally I would class it as adult fantasy. That wouldn't have stopped me from reading it as a teenager, though. It's just not really what you'd expect from YA.(less)

Petrik
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor Books—in exchange for an honest review.

Convoluted and complex are probably understatements, but I don’t have any other words to describe the main attributes of this debut.

For those of you who don’t know, The Ruin of Kings have been the fantasy debut that Tor has been promoting heavily for several months now. This novel has been advertised as the debut of the year that’s targeted “For fans of George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Brent Weeks, Brandon
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
We did this (myself and Emma) as a combined review for Fantasy Book Review which can be seen here. http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Je...

These were my thoughts following on from what Emma had already written.

I received a limited edition proof copy of The Ruin of Kings in exchange for an honest review

Additional notes by James Tivendale - I think Emma summed up most of the points perfectly.

I agree with what Emma said about the point of views switching between 1st and 3rd person sometimes being c
Emma
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kihrin is many things: orphan, thief, long lost son of a prince... destroyer of the world? Whatever else he is, he’s also having a really bad time of it. Everything he’s ever believed is lies, truths only discovered though violence and death. But since his new life involves evil magicians, a death cult, a war between gods and demons, the kind of family that epitomises the whole keep-your-enemies-closer philosophy, and dragons…. well, his chances don’t seem like they’ll be looking up any time soo ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
3.5 stars, maybe 4 - may change as I review the full book upon publication.

Who are you again??

So sweet of you to ask. I’m Talon. I’ll be your murderer tonight.

I recently finished reading this preview available on Netgalley of The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons and enjoyed it very much. I did have some problems with the chosen narrative style which did not help the story, but the book was fascinating enough to keep me glued to the pages.

Our story starts off with the protagonist stuck in a prison c
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Have you ever been to denial town? Currently visiting and it sucks....

The Ruin of Kings has been on my radar ever since it was announced in 2018 being compared to Joe Abercrombie (one of my favorite authors), Patrick Rothfuss, and Brandon Sanderson. It sounded so good - a heavy dose of epic fantasy with all the usual nastiness and morally-grey characters. But I could not connect with a single character or event in this book no matter what I did. The convoluted storytelling DID NOT HELP. In Fact
Stefan Bach
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Angsty orphan with his head in the clouds didn't get his happy story so he decides to destroy the world?
Orphan with his name so conspicuously similar to Krillin's?

description

And then even the blurb is so filled with bullshit that they go so far to compare the worldbuilding with Sanderson's and prose with that of Rothfuss' (which is basically like they compared her with Robin Hobb, modern Mary Shelley)?
Give me a break.

I see where this is going.
GR, when you finish hyping this book out to heavens and beyond,
Sherwood Smith
The next big blockbuster fantasy series, at least according to the massive publicity push.

There are three narrative threads switching back and forth, sometimes with lightning speed: there is the present-day, in which our handsome hero, Kihrin, is in prison, telling his story to Talon in first person.

Then we get Talon’s narrative intrusions explaining Kihrin’s past, interpolated with a mysterious narrator who also adds footnotes.

It’s clear that the author is having prime fun with narrative devi
Beth
The The Ruin of Kings was not for me. I do like complex fantasy. I enjoy great world building with descriptive storytelling. And here comes the BUT. But the story is presented in a very original way but I found convoluted and quite confusing way that lead to me developing zero character connections.

I received this ARC copy of The Ruin of Kings from Macmillan-Tor/Forge. This is my honest and voluntary review. The Ruin of Kings is set for publication Feb. 5, 2019.
Dianne
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a preview! THE RUIN OF KINGS by Jenn Lyons looks to be a fabulous fantasy read with all of the action, the quests and the outstanding characters that have hit every one of my must read buttons!

My only regret is that I didn’t realize this was only a preview but I do appreciate the length of it! There is enough to be more than just an info dump.

I received a complimentary PREVIEW edition from Tor-Forge! Expected publication date for the entire book is February, 2019.

For Reviews, Giveaways, Fa
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was so pumped to dive into The Ruin of Kings. Especially after getting accepted for this but, unfortunately, I ended up disappointed. Honestly, it could've been the format (since I read this on my phone) but it's just like.. ugh, nope.

At first, the characters were interesting and I wanted to know more about them. BUT, ugh, I couldn't stand the backstories anymore. One and done people! I didn't need to know what people had
Eric Allen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine who is still in the business sent me an extremely well-worn ARC of this book, saying that, literally, everyone I used to work with when I was still writing and editing articles had already read and completely loved it. I used to work with some extraordinarily hard to please critics, so if they all loved it, it must be pretty good. I've been looking for new fantasy authors/series to follow lately. Seems like there's a lot of buzz about this book, so hopefully, it'll live up to al ...more
Esmerelda Weatherwax
I have no idea how I'm going to rate this. It's one of the rare books where there are parts I truly love, and some that I seriously hated. That always makes coming up with a score/rating particularly difficult.

This had really neat world building that had some very cool ideas, there was a lot going on, politics, mysteries, non human races, dragons.... but it had horrible pacing and very odd structure choice.
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
DNF @ 150 pages

The storytelling was tedious and made me want to bash my skull into a wall. It flip flopped back and forth between Khirin's story - in first person, at point B in the timeline; and Talon's story - in third person, talking about Khirin/Rook, at point A in the timeline. I think it would have been interesting if it had been done just a certain way, but this one sooo did not work for me.

There were a lot of names and places being thrown around - names that sounded like my cat decided
The Captain
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there mateys!  Today finally be the release day for this fantasy book and I had an unusual journey towards obtaining this novel and also in how I read it . . .

Well mateys.  When I first requested this book via NetGalley, I was super excited to read it.  I was very much engaged in the beginning of the story and was avidly devouring it when it abruptly ended!  Apparently I got an excerpt copy which contained chapters 1 to 23!  I don't I don't normally do memes here on me log but decided to do
Sana
Jun 26, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
So this is 'a story about an orphan whose dream of being a lost prince turns into a nightmare when he discovers his real family is vile' Well, now I need it in my life.

Also, the opening lines are so good? I'm a fan of a first line where monsters are mentioned:
'Tell me a story.'

The monster slouched down by the iron bars of Kihrin’s jail cell. She set a small, plain stone down on the ground between them and pushed it forward.

She didn’t look like a monster. Talon looked like a girl in her twentie
jaypee
Jun 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Brandon Sanderson + Patrick Rothfuss? I'm a shallow guy. Count me the fuck in!
ella ✨
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve got to admit its super confusing at times but this book was still wholly enjoyable and reading it felt like being thrown into a whole other world. If you’re a fan of adult fantasy and having your brain twisted then this one’s for you! I loved it.
Lauren [DontGoBrekkerMyHeart]
“A hero who has never had a bad thing happen to him isn’t a hero- he’s just spoiled.”
I had a lot of mixed thoughts throughout this novel.
I think the part that really hurt it for me personally was the narration. It jumps back and forth between present time (first person) and flashbacks (third person), and I always have a rougher time reading novels involving heavy uses of flashbacks. Kihrin’s POV during the present part of the novel was my favorite hands down. Moreover, both stories were incredi
Brittany
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as put-on-pause  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dragons, fantasy
Thank you to Netgalley for generously providing this arc preview.

So far so good!! I love the main character and the world building is nice. The pacing takes some time to get used to and it was a little confusing at times but I was really enjoying it...so far! I'm super sad right now because I thought this was the whole book arc. Sadly, its a long arc preview.... So I got up to the end of chapter 23 and BOOM it ended.... so I am VERY excited to get my hands on the full copy of this!
Liz Barnsley
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Review to follow.
Lili  Marcus
3.5-4 stars.

NOTE: I Read a Preview of this novel.

I actually didn't realize it was a preview and if I'd known earlier, I should've read it sooner but anyway, I've read it in one sitting. Didn't even realize I'm reading it until I'm almost done. I'm not that familiar to the story except to who Kihrin is and a part of his past. But I'm liking this. I found the premise of this book really promising and interesting. I heard this book is marketed as for fans of Patrick Rothfuss, G.R.R. Martin, RObin H
Andrew
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I was lucky enough to be able to read a beta copy of the book, and I absolutely loved it. Early reviews are comparing it to everything from Game of Thrones to The Name of the Wind and Lies of Locke Lamora - and I see elements of all of those in there.

Essentially, it has a Locke-esque rogue protagonist, but he's telling his own story (Kvothe style), in a setting with a lot of Game of Thrones style political intrigue. Overall, I'd actually say the feel of the story is probably closest to Locke Lam
Somaya Salama
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF (unpopular opinion)- I can't take it anymore. This book was such a huge disappointment! I had high hopes for this one, but i'm not sure why the publisher is hyping this book up. I was 60% in and so far, there is no plot. Everything is so confusing and nothing is being explained. I have to go back to the glossary at the end, which is 10 pages long, to remind myself what this creature is or what this means in general. The story was written in two different timelines and it disrupted the flow o ...more
♛ Garima ♛
Nov 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
Just by reading blurb, I was like, it should be 'The King of Ruins' not 'The Ruin of Kings' but hey, what do I know?
The Nerd Book Review
After a week of thinking I’ve decided to give this book a 3* instead of a 2*. This decision is basically hinges on the fact that I think I’ll give book 2 a shot and see if it’s in a different format. I enjoyed the storyline itself immensely but I absolutely hated the format.

Katie and I will be recording an episode on this book as soon as we get a chance!

I just finished the book and I’ll rate it in a day or two. I’d give the story a 5/5. It’s epic and I really enjoyed it. On the other hand I’d g
Caleb Masters
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling beginning to a new fantasy series. Lyon's debut follows Kihrin, an orphan who soon finds himself swept up in a grand tale of prophecy, intrigue, and magic. Moving at a break-neck pace, 'The Ruin of Kings' hits the ground running and breathlessly carries the reader through a world of demons, a dragon the size of island, body-switching talismans, snake people, a sword powerful enough to kill the gods, and so much more. A fun fantasy adventure that never lets up! Can't wait to see what ...more
Nicole
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted at Thoughts Stained With Ink:

**Massive thanks to Literary Agent Sam Morgan, for sending a copy in exchange for an honest review**

THIS BOOK.

No one had higher expectations for this book than I did. Claimed akin to the greats, like Sanderson and Rothfuss, includes dragons AND written by a woman? I wanted this book to blow my mind. I wanted it to completely shatter my reality of what fiction could be, of what stories could do. I wanted to find a new author to admire, someone
Kelsie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
A Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons is book one in her new A Chorus of Dragons series. First, I must advise that the copy I am reviewing is a preview and not the full novel.

The novel begins with Talon, a shape-shifting, murderous jailer, encouraging the main character, Kihrin, to tell her his story. The point of view then begins to shift between Kihrin’s narrative and Talon’s version of the same narrative. The narrative also shifts between first and third person. At first the shifting viewpoints were
Corneliu Dascalu
Complexity for complexity's sake

I enjoyed this book. It's a good book, but oh, man, so unnecessarily complex.

1. The narrative style is unique. I think it may be the most ingenious way of telling a story within a story I ever read. It even has footnotes which are told by another character. But all this is entirely unnecessary and, in my opinion, it adds nothing to the story. It just makes it more difficult to follow.

2. Many names are similar (e.g. Telindel, Kelindel etc.). Add to this some reall
  • The City We Became
  • The Raven Tower
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Middlegame
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery, #1)
  • The Harp of Kings
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Jade War
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires #1)
  • The Never Tilting World
  • A Brightness Long Ago
Jenn Lyons lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, three cats, and a lot of opinions on anything from the Sumerian creation myths to the correct way to make a martini. At various points in her life, she has wanted to be an archaeologist, anthropologist, architect, diamond cutter, fashion illustrator, graphic designer, or Batman. Turning from such obvious trades, she is now a video game produc ...more

A Chorus of Dragons (2 books)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons #2)
“She pushed a dagger into my hands. "And now you are a man with a knife. Woe to the Empire.” 3 likes