Start by marking “Camino Sunrise-Walking With My Shadows: One reluctant pilgrim packs a weighty load on a 500-mile path” as Want to Read:

Walk? 500 miles? Across Spain? We can't do that!
And so began the journey of a lifetime for Reg Spittle.

An outwardly well-adjusted professional and family man, Reg was a master of disguising a lifetime of debilitating anxiety that undermined his self-confidence.

Recently retired, he never dreamed he'd soon find himself chasing distant boundaries across a foreign land, sleepi
Published October 29th 2018 by Reginald Spittle

To ask other readers questions about Camino Sunrise-Walking With My Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camino Sunrise-Walking With My Shadows

Start your review of Camino Sunrise-Walking With My Shadows: One reluctant pilgrim packs a weighty load on a 500-mile path
Kelly
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read about the joys and struggles of the Camino and life. A great read.
Morag Thorne
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honest and gracious

This is one of the most engaging Camino memoirs I have read. The author is touchingly honest and courageous in his personal commitment to emotional and psychological maturity. His gratitude towards the Camino and his Camino family is full of grace. This reader was left feeling great respect for the author and his experience.
Daniel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, enjoyable read that makes me want to walk the Camino :) I really appreciate Reg’s detailed focus on the people he met. I think it’s had a subtle influence on me — I’ve already had conversations with two random strangers today. People make the journey of life worthwhile.
Julie Ince
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really inspiring

The book came to life and was an easy read. It made you travel in your mind. As a child who was bullied always picked last for sport and impact it had had on all my adult life very relatable. Thanks for the inspiration x
Hayley Frerichs
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I connected with Reg through our blogs and I was excited to read about another pilgrim's journey. My brother and I hiked El Camino last summer and enjoyed it immensely. I immediately connected with Reg's story and his openness. Reading this was like walking the Camino again! Reg's story is deeply vulnerable and utterly human. Even as a 20 something female, I relate to Reg's struggles with anxiety and self-doubt.

The dispersion of past memories alongside the Camino reflections propelled the narra
Terry McHugh
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I walked my first Camino a year after the author and I too started in Plampona due to the weather. I stopped in many of the places the author described and felt many of the same emotions. Like him, I also laid down my memories in a book. The author has transported me back to the Camino with every single page. He made me shed the same tears I felt when I first entered Praza de Obradoiro. I must go back. Well done Reg, you have touched my heart with your beautiful book
Doni
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring

Very entertaining and inspiring. Well written memoir about an older couple (young at heart) as they travel the Camino de Santiago.
Amitola
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A success story

The Camino changed the author’s life for the better. He wrote about it. We got a delightful book. I can vouch for the fact that traveling light, living out of a backpack, will impact your life. His stories are very much like the experiences I had when I hitchhiked throughout the USA many, many years ago (long before the internet and smartphones). The kindness of strangers, the beauty of nature, the emotions that change one’s view of life were all in this book. The delightful water
Mamareads
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great descriptions of the Way

I felt like I had walked with this couple as they walked the Camino. They felt pain, cultural
Shock and many times had to adjust quickly to their surroundings. Yet the most important thing that came through was their desire to learn as they trekked. It was a well written view of the Camino.
john foster, mrs Debra Foster
Inspirational Read.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, a detailed account of a husband and wifes treck in Spain. Lovely pace, great descriptions of places visited and some really poignant moments highlighted.
The narrative made the book for me, Reg had it down to perfection, would love to read more of his adventures.
Karen
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nicely Done

Well written, I especially enjoyed the well developed ending thoughts and reflections. We walked the Portuguese Camino last May and are walking the Camino Frances this May (2019).
LL
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Book

Putting the past and present together to explain the reason for this pilgrimage works well. I have read so many books about this same walk and they are all different, because each experience is unique . This one is more personal and not a how to , or a how fast can you get to Santiago , or party people , or religious healing , but a truthful journey. A reconciling journey.

Tyler
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read

Although the book is not as finely polished as it could otherwise be, I still found myself enjoying it the whole way through. The writing feels like it improves as the book progresses. The imagery and descriptions, however, are strong and the reader comes away with the sense that these people on the trail are real, even dear friends, rather than just characters in a story.
Bogdan Ignat
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life lessons

The life experiences I've read in this book are an great ways to see how we encounter obstacles in our path. Further more, sometimes we're the ones throwing those obstacles. I've also seen how much strength one must have in order to go through those challenges, but the strength is there. We only need to find it. Awesome read!
Nancy Currey
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
The writing was enjoyable and it was fun reading about the places I visited when I walked in 2014. It was more self indulgent than personal at the beginning but that got better as the story went along. Although the author understood that everyone’s Camino is personal, he was a bit snarky about other walkers throughout his journey.
Dawn Pedersen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good read. I was not looking forward to another book about a trek. This book is much more than that. It paints a picture of the author moving past his negative life experiences to accept his true gifts on the Camino. Well done!
Ben Twoonezero
Connie
rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Only Way Is West: A Once In a Lifetime, 500 Mile Adventure Walking Spain's Camino de Santiago
  • The Way of Love: on the Camino de Santiago
  • Blanket of Stars: Thru-Hiking the Camino de Santiago (Travel Adventures Book 1)
  • Adventures on 'The Way': 1100 miles on the Camino de Santiago
  • Footsteps: A compelling, personal and inspiring journey on the Camino de Santiago
  • The Man in the Tent - My Life under Canvas in Britain and Spain: Part One - Britain, 2004 - 2008
  • Ego Trip: 40 Days and 40 Nights on the Camino de Santiago
  • Just Passing Through: A nomadic life afloat in France
  • Two Million Steps: BAND-AIDS, COCKTAILS, AND FINDING PEACE ALONG SPAIN'S CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
  • MIRACLES ON THE CAMINO: The uplifting true story of one man's amazing pilgrimage to Santiago
  • The Man in the Tent: My Life under Canvas - Getting Started in Spain
  • The Journey in Between
  • Overweight, Undertrained and Terrified: A Camino Diary
  • Lost in Europe: A Hitchhiking Adventure
  • Walking to the End of the World: A Thousand Miles on the Camino de Santiago
  • An Awakening Walk: 500 Miles to Self-love and Acceptance on the Camino De Santiago
  • Go Your Own Way: Following in the footsteps of Martin Sheen on the Way of St James
  • The House that Jack Bought: A Scotsman and his Lodgers in the Spanish Hinterland
Reg Spittle overcame a childhood marked by poverty, bullying and frequent moves to become a professional journalist, gifted educator and Fulbright teaching exchange recipient. Always an avid traveler, he had no idea retirement would present him with even greater life challenges. Reg and his wife, Sue, live in Oregon.