Start by marking “Shadow's Voice” as Want to Read:
Shadow's Voice

Shadow's Voice

Rose Trewin is on the run. Pursued by memories of her father, she runs from city to city, seeking normalcy. But Rose can't escape her past, or the magic running through her veins, the magic that allows her to slip through the shadows unnoticed. The magic her father once used to mold her into a mercenary sent to destroy his enemies.

Now her magic is growing and changing, bec
Published January 8th 2019 by E.L. Marker (first published June 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow's Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow's Voice

Start your review of Shadow's Voice
Lucinda
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this unusual magical fantasy. Whilst it was quite dark at times, the story moves along at a swift pace. The main characters are well developed. I like that we get snippets of Rose's past, learning a little more about her throughout the story whilst she runs from her past and grows into something new. There are slight hints of a romance but it certainly isn't the main driving force of the novel. I like that the female characters aren't just some simpering females wanting to be re ...more
Adrienne Cory
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in it's first edition, published a few years ago by a different publisher, and then had the opportunity to read it in it's most recent edition, which has been reworked and republished. Between the two versions, it is apparent that Johanson has grown immensely as a writer and author. While the plot and story line are the same in both versions, the writing style and editing has shown great improvement.

The story and characters were engrossing the whole novel through. It was hard t
Jessica Bronder
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose is on the run. She is afraid that her father will find her and use her magic again. But her travels lead her into a man then the task of giving his message to the king. After delivering the message the king offers her a job as a spy. Rose decides to take the job even though her magic is becoming more powerful. Maybe this will be what she needs.

This is a great first book from Natalie Johsanson. You have an amazing world and a kick butt lead character. Rose doesn’t take grief from anyone whic
Angel Hatfield
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose Trewin is on the run. Pursued by memories of her father, she runs from city to city, seeking normalcy. But Rose can’t escape her past, or the magic running through her veins, the magic that allows her to slip through the shadows unnoticed. The magic her father once used to mold her into a mercenary sent to destroy his enemies. Now her magic is growing and changing, becoming something new and untamable. Rose is unable to rest. Wolves wrapped in fog follow her relentlessly along the countrysi ...more
Jess(ToTheMoonAndBackReviews)
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world Natalie Johanson creates is amazing. It is so vibrant and rich in detail, it was like I was really there.
The plot kept my eyes glued to the pages in order to read as fast as I could before having to go to work. I was reluctant to put it down, and when I did all I could think about was, what is going to happen next.

I loved the backstories behind the characters, they were woven so perfectly that it made the characters real and relatable.

I love the magic, history and geography that th
TSN ☮
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019, fantasy
This was an interesting story with a cool magic system.

What I liked about Rose was her take-no-crap attitude, and how unimpressed she was about others importance.
What I didn't like about her, was how she each and every time she was assaulted, always left the attacker able to continue to pursue her and assault her again, which they did every single time.

☛ I requested an advanced copy of this title from NetGalley, and I'm voluntarily making this review.
Truly Trendy PR
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadow's Voice by Natalie Johanson is a young adult fantasy that is sure to take you away to a world unlike any other. A mysterious drama that is sure to keep you turning that pages and leave you wanting more. The characters are well developed with intriguing backstories all set in a castle making this a captivating fantasy. Johanson is a brilliant writer and it shows!
Jackie Grant
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read of Natalie Johanson and I have to say if you are into paranormal then this is a book for you. Rose is on the run. But she just can't seem to escape. I received a free arc copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
MGB
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting story of magic in the shadows. Our heroine is a troubled person, running from her magic and those who would abuse her because she had magic.

The author weaves quite a tale. A few stumbling points that neither the author or the editor caught. But it was worth reading, even in the dark side when the shadows tried to pull her to their world.
Eveie Hickman
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was hard to put down, the story of rose and her internal battle with the magic she contained and the memories she was hiding. Good story telling and I was sad when it ended. 👏📚loved 😻
Kat
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story! I LOVED the magic system in this world, and I love the mysterious, unknown past of Rose.
This book was great for a debut novel and I’m excited to see where the story goes!
Gina R Mitchell
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Shadow’s Voice by Natalie Johanson is an incredible story. Is our protagonist actually a villain or merely made that way by life’s cruel circumstances? Who is the mastermind pulling all these people together and exactly what is he seeking? The mysteries and drama will keep you turning the pages. The cruelty life deals to Rose tugs at your heartstrings. Yet, resilient souls find a way to infuse humor into the toughest situations. Every character is fully developed and the settings from the castle ...more
Heidi [Reviews by Lemon]
ARC is provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

”What are you running from?”
Rose snapped her head around to stare at him. “I’m not running from anyone,” she whispered.”
“That’s not what I asked.” Micah stared at her, and it felt like he was looking at all her secrets.

Shadow’s voice is the debut novel by Natalie Johanson, and it’s the first book in what’s to become a series.
Rose, who’s on run from her past encounters a man she winds up owing a life debt to, and in his stead she’
Natalie Johanson
Oct 19, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sneak Peak:

"Her eyes snapped open, her heart in her throat and pulse loud in her ears. Rose strained to hear what had woken her. It was still dark, very dark, so she doubted much time had passed. A sound echoed through the night, but it was soft and too quiet to hear details. Rose dropped her eyes into
her magic and winced at the sharp pain that shot across her temple. She ignored the pain and pushed through the darkness. Rose stretched her senses through the dark. She heard a squirrel claw its w
Celtic's Library
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC through Xpresso Book Tours throught Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I first viewed the cover, I almost kept scrolling. I know. I did the thing. I judged a book by the cover. To me, it looked like a red riding hood knock off. However, something in the back of my mind told me to take a moment and just read the synopsis. The story did not sound too bad, even if the description felt a little cliche. When I was given the ARC, I cracked open the book with a little tr
Ann Holden
This is an excellent story but the beginning was so slow I almost didn’t finish. It took a bit for me to know Rose and find her likeable. There is violence and evil and also some goodness in this unusual magical fantasy. It tends to be dark in more ways than one.
I have two problems with the book. First, it would benefit greatly if it was corrected by a good editor. Second, I really thought the ending wasn’t one. I don’t care for cliffhangers but this story didn’t have a tease for another book,
Kristie
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC. I really enjoyed this YA tale of this story. I will however, state that this book requires editing. There are several places that are missing words more than grammatical errors. Should be an easy fix though.
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Interesting story. Needs an editor
Darrin Perez
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(This review is a copy/paste of the review I put on Amazon for this book under the username Winterfate. If you have already read the review over there, feel free to disregard this one.)

Shadow's Voice is the story of a young woman called Rose (full name Rosalyn Ula) who has shadow magic. Mainly, she can move in between shadowy areas. She is running away from the world as the story begins and quickly meets up with a man called Nico. Tragedy strikes as Rose is forced to carry his final words to the
Peter Diggins
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy, fans of fantasy heroines.
Recommended to Peter by: Natalie Johanson
Review Summary: Shadow’s Voice is an excellent story with good characters and a likeable heroine in Rose Ula. From the start it is clear that Rose has some rather shadowy talents and the story doesn’t take long to deposit the reader in the middle of the action and Rose’s troubled life.
Very enjoyable.

Rating: 79%

Review in a bit more detail:

This is Natalie’s debut novel.

Shadow’s Voice is a fantasy story about Rose Ula, a young lass who is on the run from her past and anyone who might know her. I
Marissa
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Win Copy

It’s about a young girl Rose Ula who is constantly on the run from her past. She finds herself befriending a King’s messenger who ends up dying. Face with wanting to lead a quiet life she is then kidnapped and somehow escapes as she ends up at the castle.

She stumbles along a plot to assassinate the King and her shadow magic starts to seep more into her world as she can barely control it. As danger is among the castle as no one can be trusted. Not only the King’s life is in dang
Sam Vaseghi
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is the type of book that you can read and lets you dream... the characters are caring the reader through a 'really' magic journey. Without doubt, I can recommend it. An amazing magic and fantasy story.
Debee Sue
Mar 31, 2020
Abagail Murphy
Mar 22, 2020
Sesan
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2019
Adrienne Cory
Mar 30, 2016
Richard S. Cloud
Jan 04, 2019
Stephanie Procopio
Nov 05, 2019

• Cursed Wolf (Creatures of the Otherworld #1)
  • The First Queen: A Shifter Romance
  • Fighting Change (Forever Changed Book 1)
  • Conceding Change (Forever Changed Book 2)
  • Forever Changed
  • Pureblood (Pureblood #1)
  • His Moon
  • Wolfsbane: Evelyn & Aiden
  • Mark of Truth (Wicked Kingdoms, #1)
  • When the Red Wolf Runs (The Red Wolf Saga Book 1)
  • Brave Bear (Grey Lake Shifters, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • The Mating Clause: The Wolves of Everett Hollow Book 1
  • Curse of Iron (Half-Blood Huntress Chronicles #1)
  • No Way Home
  • Master of Magic (Half-Blood Huntress Chronicles #3)
  • Heir of Storm (Half-Blood Huntress Chronicles #2)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
Writing has always been a passion of mine, and I've dabbled in it for fun for most of my life. I finally got around to actually finishing something! Between working full time and going to school full time in the evenings, most of my limited free time is spent either staring at the blinking cursor of Microsoft word or chasing my ferret around the apartment.

Shadow's Voice is my debut novel, and the