Start by marking “Prince of Monkeys” as Want to Read:
Prince of Monkeys

Prince of Monkeys

A provocative debut novel by a brilliant young Nigerian writer, tackling politics, class, and power as a group of friends come of age in Lagos.

Growing up in middle-class Lagos, Nigeria during the late 1980s and early 1990s, Ihechi forms a band of close friends in his neighborhood. They discover Lagos together as teenagers whose differing ideologies come to the fore over
Published April 2nd 2019 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Monkeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Monkeys

Start your review of Prince of Monkeys
Mihiret
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa, fiction, giveaways
This is an interesting, complex novel of contemporary Nigeria. Our narrator, Ihechi, often doesn't know what to make of his country (or any other aspect of his life), but he does a good job of describing the competing world views, religions, politics, and expectations he and his close friends face. Even the timeline of the novel is fractured and hard to put together, as Ihechi tries to figure out how he, his friends, and his country are imprisoned and try to work a way out (the novel begins with ...more
Naomi Wilson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
Prince of Monkeys was a really interesting coming of age tale that also tackled politics, religion, and class in Nigeria during the 1990s. The writing was excellent, numerous quotable lines made for a very thought provoking read. There was some adult content and intense imagery (especially at the end).

It started slow and finished too fast, and at times the writing felt a bit chaotic but overall I really liked it.
The Artisan Geek
May 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bookcase
13/5/19
Counterpoint Press were so lovely to send over this book!! Nigerian literature? Yes please!! It's so great to be able to read something written by your own people :)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Counterpoint Press
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spring-2019
“His reasoning knocked on the door of my conscience, but there was no budging; I would never understand his justifications. I had always heard but never understood that survival on Nigerian streets was like a game of chess, and no pieces were spared en route to checkmate.”
Anthony Fagbore
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nnamdi Ehirim’s debut novel-Prince if Monkeys,is a lyrical meditative observation of Nigerian life, religion and politics
at the end of the twentieth century..Looking forward to his future writings.
Leanne Ellis
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into it. Faint characterization and sense of place. The narrative was too episodic to engage me as a reader.
Sam McCarthy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Good, informative, and occasionally moving book, although not without some serious flaws (pacing, under-characterization, confusing framing device, forgettable-ness, etc.)
Utibe-Obong Akpabio
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most beautiful stories ever written. From start to finish, you are literally glued to every page, to a point that you can almost touch the words - all so elegantly put together. An absolute masterpiece of art.
Melissa
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good novel. Good plot. Good character development. An enjoyable read. Won courtesy of the author and goodreads.com
Amy Ullmann-Moore
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, delightful prose, and heart rending honesty in this coming-of-age tale. So grateful my librarian recommended this book to me!
Muthoni Muiruri
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

Ever read a book that screamt ‘DEBUT! DEBUT! DEBUUUUTTT!?’ This is one of those books. Getting into it, you can tell the author was overly excited and had too many ideas that he wanted to put across, and at the fear and risk of only ever getting published once, decided to cramp up everything into this one book. It’s distracting, most times annoying and robs you of the joy of really enjoying the book.

Prince of Monkeys is Ehirim’s debut novel and tells the story of
Sally
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
 Adesuwa Grace (Somewhat Reserved)
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of this novel from Counterpoint Press in exchange for a review. This did not affect my opinion in any way.

Full review at Somewhat Reserved

This story reveals events that took place from Ihechi's childhood to adulthood.

He went to a Christian primary school and felt a little different from his peers since his mother practiced Ifá, a traditional Yoruba pagan religion.

Though this book was engaging, I couldn't help but get annoy/>3.5
Anita
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I was pretty distracted when I read this and am perhaps not giving it its full due. But I struggled to get through it, and couldn't wait to finish it so I could get to something a bit more to my taste in fiction. Too much testosterone? Perhaps.
Marooong
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book was a drag. Pacing was horrible.
Evonne
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the poetic description, particularly at the beginning. The ending was abrupt and seemed anti-climatic to me.
Delores
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of idea and word density which makes it interesting learning about Nigeria. The ending , though...very abrupt and left you wanting more. I hope there will be a part 2 .
Erin Boers
rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2019
Oniye
Jun 29, 2019
Sierra
May 27, 2019
Katelyn
rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2019

• Magical Negro
  • A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary
  • Kids These Days: Human Capital and the Making of Millennials
  • Race After Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim Code
“Regardless, I will proceed, because I have an even greater conviction that the past, still and unmoving, reflects our selves in our clearest forms.” 0 likes