Start by marking “Souls Astray (Kees & Colliers, #0)” as Want to Read:
Souls Astray (Kees & Colliers, #0)

Souls Astray

(Kees & Colliers #1)

Adele has been lost for a long time now ...

Adele Collier has sought a carefree lifestyle ever since her tragic childhood. Determined to never allow anyone or anything to control her life or emotions again, she consistently seeks distraction in gaiety. But shaking her ghosts isn’t as easy as she’d like.

Troy Kee has been alone in the world since the Great War took his pa
Published May 4th 2019 by Reveries Co.

To ask other readers questions about Souls Astray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Souls Astray

Start your review of Souls Astray (Kees & Colliers, #0)
Kellyn Roth
Souls Astray , book 1 of the Kees & Colliers series, is available on Amazon! So let me share why it might be a good idea for you to not buy this book!

You see, I know I have some younger readers, so I wanted you all to know ... this may not be a good book for you to read if you're under the age of about fifteen, though that's up to you (or your parents).

I've decided to copy my author's note below, which will be at the beginning of every edition of this novel.

***

You’re about to enter a book tha
Lilian
Jan 10, 2019 added it
Rating to come when published!
Jes Drew
So, I got into this story being forewarned it was heavily inspired by All's Quiet on the Western Front and The Great Gatsby. But it wasn't until further into the story that I learned that Gone with the Wind was apparently an influencer also (the relationships, not the era)! All three together! I was not ready for that.

But this heartbreaking story needed to be told and read, and indeed about two souls astray. It's an old tale, too- the bad girl and the good boy; something always has to give, and
Angela Watts
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
STORY
This story tackles a topic that Christian audiences tend to shy from, and it was handled tastefully!

Adele, the main character, leads a rather un-moralistic lifestyle in the roaring 20’s, and the story follows her as she finds her own way in the world and tries to find who she is. It also follows the story of Troy, a man yearning for a family, all alone in the world. Together, it is a fast-paced, wild romance that tells a story of how imperfect people can still be worth loving. I’m really no
Hannah
I loved this book! It's a colorful (and at times heartbreaking) account of one girl's life and marriage. After WW1 forever changes her family, Adele is left with a troubled idea of who she can trust and with her values twisted by grief. Troy, also changed by the war's mark on his family, doesn't think twice when he meets a beautiful young woman, but jumps into marriage feet-first. There's a lot for these two to learn. Do they have any chance at happiness? Where is God in their story?

Well written
Aria
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Incredible

Wow, what a story! So accurate in the portrayal of the moral downfall following WWI. And the problems that face those unequally yoked. It's a riveting, well-written story and I can't wait for the next.
R.F. Gammon
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF-ing this for one reason and one reason only: it's on my phone and I don't feel like trying to read a book on my phone right now xD I'll almost surely get to it next time I'm travelling, though. I really enjoyed what I read so far!
Abigail
My heart huuuurts ahhhhhhh

I have a love-hate relationship with prequels and this is the prime example of why. I absolutely loved seeing Adele and Troy's life stories. I had wondered how exactly it all went down leading up to The Lady of the Vineyard, so I was pumped to learn about it first hand. But goodness gracious, my emotions!! were all over the place!! ahhhhh!!! Because I knew where they ended up at the beginning of TLotV and thus I knew the whole thing was going too well and then I was SA
Liz F.
Jan 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: beta-reading
*sobs*
Review to come upon publication! :)
Abigail Harris
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review
Genre: WWI, Historical, Romance, Drama, Christian fiction.

My Rating: 5 stars.

My Recommendation: 16 up for romance.

My Favorite character/s: In this whole series I’ve loved Troy . . . But, I was really a fan of Adele, sure, I felt bad for her and didn’t care for her this novel brought her to light as a wounded girl who grew into a woman that though she didn’t know she wanted it she needed to be love. Seeing Adele in Souls Astray made me love her and see even more that she wasn’t just a ha
Isabel
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved having the backstory to TLOTV! Although the two insta-lovey couples were not my favorite, it was a very well-written book.
Bridget Marshall
I want Troy as a brother. Or as a son (though I'm probably not really old enough for that yet...). Can I at least give him a giant motherly hug? He needs it and I just love him like that. This story was so heartbreaking. I got emotionally invested with the characters and I just really loved this book.
Debbie Trammell
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complicated life

Adele is in so much pain at this point she really hates herself. She does not know how to act or to treat others. She is so afraid of life and love.
Esther Filbrun
I read this book last, after reading the other three in the series, and in retrospect, that may have not been the wisest decision ever. This fleshes out the backstory that is mentioned throughout the following three books, adding a bit of life and color to the story. However, since I had read it out of order and already knew all the main points, I didn’t find the story nearly as gripping as I hoped it would be. Still, I enjoyed meeting the characters when they were younger, and if you’re looking ...more
Merie Shen
Kellyn Roth is one of the most wonderful historical fiction authors with books out today. No matter what, her work never ceases to amaze me-- and Souls Astray was no exception. If you feel that there are hardly enough clean yet deep and gritty modern fictional works out there, like myself, than your search can end here.

Now by clean I don't mean squeaky-clean. I mean that none of Kell's stories contain graphic, explicit, or even detailed in the least content. Sure, this entire book is literally a
Alabama Rose
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-teared-up, e-book
Mm, I dont know what to say.....
Cean, very well written, but the story crushed my heart! It was so hard to see everyone go through this. It was... emotional. I can't cry for books or movies, but I almost cried reading this.

I DID enjoy it - not like having fun enjoyed it, but it was a good book.
And I must read the Lady of the Vineyard. MUST READ IT.

Honestly, I had no idea what to rate this. It had my emotions, attention, my heart -- and even though it wasn't an easy read, it deserves five sta
A.G.
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow. That was a ride. I was hooked from Chapter One, captivated by the parallel growing-up years of Adele and Troy. It was heart-breaking to see their difficult childhoods, but it’s easy to see how they were formed into the people they are when they meet. Their romance was perhaps a bit unrealistically fast, but Kellyn plays it well, and it ultimately works with the story. The ending, though I knew it was coming, still clawed at my heart. This is a horribly real book, looking unabashedly at what ...more
Bethany Fehr
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
After reading The Lady of the Vineyard, I enjoyed exploring Adele and Troy's childhoods and seeing the events that shaped them in their early years. Once the story jumped to their lives as adults, I had a hard time engaging with it.

I think I could have enjoyed the story a lot more if adult Troy had made more sense as a character, but I couldn't muster up much sympathy for him. While he seems to be intended as a wholesome, upright character, to me he came across as emotionally inconsistent and c
Vickie Jameson
Good story but I felt that it ended a bit abruptly. Will have to read Book 2 to see what happens next. I received a copy of this book through a promotion. All opinions are my own.
Vickie Jameson
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Good story, but the ending was a bit abrupt. Will have to read Book 2 to see what happens next. I received a free electronic copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Bella Putt
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2019
Heather
Apr 14, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Changing Series - prequel moving to book 1 4 19 Feb 14, 2020 04:50PM

• Love Blind
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Freedom (Liberty's Battlegrounds, #1)
  • Plan to Fail (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #2)
  • Window Fellow
  • Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)
  • Homeward
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Once Night Falls
  • The Way to Captain Yankee's
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Great Good Thing: A Secular Jew Comes to Faith in Christ
  • A-Spying We Will Go (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #5)
  • The Tentative Bride (Brides of Lone Pine Book 3)
  • Live Without You
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • The Trouble with Nancy (Gold Diggers #2)
  • Sir Gibbie (Sir Gibbie, #1)

Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women's fiction and romance author. Sound boring? Well, she includes lots of adorable children and mischievous animals—as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Kell lives on a ranch in North-Eastern Oregon with her family, crazy border collies, conceited fluffy cat, and assorted cows and chickens.

Other than authoring, she blogs, teaches young writers to

Kees & Colliers (4 books)
  • The Lady of the Vineyard  (Kees & Colliers, #2)
  • Flowers in Her Heart (Kees & Colliers #3)
  • From Now 'Til Forever (Kees & Colliers #4)