Start by marking “Am I Guilty?” as Want to Read:

Am I Guilty?

Everyone thinks I did it…maybe I did.

Gripping, exciting and emotional, this book will grab you from the first page and refuse to let you go until the final chapter!

I never thought it would happen to me…

One moment I had it all – a gorgeous husband, a beautiful home, a fulfilling career and two adorable children. The next, everything came crashing down around me.

They sai

Published April 19th 2019 by Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Am I Guilty?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Am I Guilty?

Sue
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AM I GUILTY? Is a gripping psychological crime thriller by author Jackie Kabler, dealing with a very sensitive subject…the death of a baby left in the car on a hot summer day. I was completely absorbed in this story, told from various viewpoints, about a mother's worst nightmare.

A mother’s job is to protect her child. But everyone makes mistakes...

Louise Wilson
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
One moment I had it all - a gorgeous husband, a beautiful home, a fulfilling career and two adorable children. Next it came crashing down around me.

I loved this book. It had me gripped from the first few chapters. It's full of twists and the suspense just grows with each turn of the page. Thea's life has just been shattered by the death of her son Zander. Thea is accused of his death. The events leading up to the tragedy, Thea can't remember but she believes what she is being told, that she is s
Mandy White
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all with that cover how can you resist this book! Stunning!!

Am I Guilty is certainly a rollercoaster of emotions with a tough subject at the core. There are times when you feel sorry for the characters and other times that you want to strangle them. The ending completely threw me - I did pick what had happened and sort of who but not the twist the author spun - very clever. It was a bit slow to begin with but once it got going it never really let go - a great book about a hard subject.

O
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

… it happened again. A weird, crawling sensation, like a bony hand running up my spine… A strange, shivery feeling, that had nothing to do with being cold. A feeling of unease, so intense that it was almost a physical sensation. This morning it had come and gone in a flash, and I’d put it down to being in that odd, semi-awake state but now, as I leaned against the kitchen counter, it stayed, first that shiver up my back, then a sense that something was trying to wriggle its way i
Linda Strong

Thea pushes a pram to go to the store ... only the pram is empty. People turn away from her .. or call her names ... or call her a murderer.

She doesn't remember what happened the night Zander died ... beautiful Zander with the white blonde hair and startling blue eyes. But Thea confessed .. or so they tell her.

Still under a doctor's care for her memory lapse, Thea begins to remember ... or is it what she truly wants to believe? Why does she feel that her family, her friends, have all lied .. are
Donna Hines
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Everyone thinks she did it! All fingers point to her! From top of your game to top of your shame?!
Or was it all just a LIE?!
Could this be the worst mother on the planet?!
The sensation that something is terribly wrong haunts the soul.
These are supposedly friends that have built trust -would they not be honest?
This is a powerful, moving, thriller and doesn't end when the last page is read.
Thank you to Jackie, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest revi
Nicki
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We,Humans are many things but we are definitely not infallible,we do make mistakes. Some are tiny and inconsequential and some have major consequences and can affect more than just one person.

Thea made a catastrophic mistake,a mistake that resulted in the death of her baby and Thea being labelled the worst mother in the world. She can't remember exactly what happened that day but everyone she trusts keep insisting that it was her fault and they wouldn't lie to her.....would they?

Then Thea starts
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well I wasn't expecting that ending! I was so convinced part way through that I knew the gist of what had happened, and some of my guesses were correct but many other things occurred too much to my delight.

I was completely gripped in this story, told from various viewpoints, about a mother's worst nightmare.

There were times during this that I suspected everyone, at other times I was completely convinced that Thea was truly guilty - it was incredibly hard to know who to believe.

It also can't w
Lou
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Am I Guilty begins like pretty much every other domestic thriller, but it's when the sense of creeping unease becomes palpable after the first couple of chapters that it truly picks up speed and continues to hurtle down the line like a runaway train. Whether mother Thea actually has amnesia, has a problem with repressed memories something humans do to forget or is purely an unreliable narrator is rather unclear for most the novel and adds to its unpredictable charm. Couple this with prejudicial ...more
Kat
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley-tbr
This is a debut novel and wow! I was really surprised st the way this turned out. I was trying to guess what way it would go and I was totally wrong. I found it really gripping, if a little hard to read at times. I liked the alternative chapters and found each characters point of view easy to follow in this format. A good round of characters and I changed my mind about them all throughout the book. I'm looking forward to reading more from Jackie and I hope it's soon.

Thanks goes to net galley an
Robyn
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wowzers! Am I Guilty By Jackie Kabler is definitely one of my top reads of 2019 and if you are a fan of thrillers then this book SHOULD be on your reading list. This is just one of those books that you do NOT want to miss.

Theodora “Thea” Ashfield is accused of one of the worst crimes anyone could ever imagine. Even Thea thinks she is a monster. Estranged from her husband, Thea’s life is spiraling downhill all from one tragic event. But, nothing is as it seems and there secrets aplenty. Is Thea r
Elaine
She can't remember just what happened to her child, Zander, but he's dead and she's being blamed for his death . . . . She is unsure but feels that something is wrong . . . there are secrets . . . . but she doesn't know what they are, who is keeping them or what will happen if they're uncovered. Her lovely life is in turmoil, everything has changed. Who can she trust? Who is telling the truth? Why are there so many lies? Who really caused Zander's death? Is she guilty?

Split into three parts and
Sandra Leivesley
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, tbc
I have read and enjoyed one of the Cora Baxter books, but this one is completely different. This time Ms Kabler has excelled herself and given us a superb psychological thriller. The subject matter (the horrific death of a child) is quite disturbing but is handled in a sensitive manner.

The story is completely gripping and very cleverly written, told from the POV of all the different characters, drip feeding the reader little snippets of information, and making the reader want to solve the case.
Lady Delacour
Nicely done Jackie.
A trip into Nuttersville.
My favorite place to visit.
3.5 Nutty Stars.
Listened with TTS.
Not quite Clean.
Foul Language.
Holly
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for an honest review!

This probably won't be a long review as I don't want to give anything away and I feel like it is one of those books that just saying one thing can give so much away!

Right from the start this book really had me hooked and kept me questioning! Thea has amnesia from the day that something terrible happened, she assumed how the events played out, just like everybody else did. But what if they are wr
Amy Ferrie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One moment Thea had it all - A gorgeous husband, a beautiful home, a fulfilling career and two adorable children - Nell and Zander. The next, everything came crashing around her and Thea can’t remember the details of the day that killed her little boy. Thea is told she let her Zander die, left him in the sweltering car after a boozy lunch with her best friend but surely Thea wouldn’t do that would she? On trial for his murder, she turns to drink and then slowly her memory starts to return and sh ...more
Marianne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was good and crazy, crazy good. You know that something awful has happened right from the beginning but what exactly, and how, is the question. Then you are told the answer... but is it the right one?

This is quite chilling in that I truly felt the pain of this mother, Thea, but the thought of what she had to live with was unimaginable. The characters were well developed and interesting. There are twists and red herrings aplenty and my feelings toward the characters shifted at times.

The re
Joanne Cartwright
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cleverly written that you find yourself jumping between extreme emotions at almost every page, first with empathy for Thea, who has clearly suffered a great deal wit the loss of her baby boy...then anger and hatred towards anyone so selfish as to get so drunk their actions result in that death...then back to empathy as Thea's story unfolds.
There are plenty of unpleasant characters sprinkled through Thea's life and as the truth begins to reveal itself so do the true colours of man
Dawn
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three women linked by the death of an 8 month old baby. Thea left her son in the car and forgot about him on a hot summer day. Flora, her faithful assistant has left Thea’s company and is working for Annabelle. Annabelle’s daughter is Thea’s daughter’s best friend. Thea’s world is falling down but she is starting to remember the things others are trying to hide!

At first I struggled with this, a chapter per character was confusing me a bit but then it started to flow and I was hooked! Thank you
Sharon Williams
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Judy Odom
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for me !

Fasten your seat belt, turn off your phone.

Am I Guilty is a whirlwind of a ride , a very good psychological thriller that will grab you from the first chapter.

Thea can't remember the details of the day that devastated her family and friends and most of all herself.

Could she really be that bad of a mother ?

Everyone in town thinks so.

You think you have it all figured out but do you ?

A great read, a great ending. Can't wait to read more by Jackie Kabler.

Thanks to NetGalley an
Priya
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Psychological suspense is my favourite genre and one I read a lot of. This book managed to stand out with its theme and sharp writing, with enough twists to keep me hooked.
To be a mother accused of her own child's murder is something unfathomable and as a parent, I could feel this mother's distress.
And not knowing exactly what happened and whom to believe only added to the extreme guilt she felt.
The suspense was brought out very well and I enjoyed it.
Melissa Borsey
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very dark and twisted story about a woman who may or may not have caused the death of her baby. I can't say that I enjoyed the story per se, however it did keep my attention and I had to know how it would end. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
An Aussie Book Nerd
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit late with this review. I'm being snowed under with assignments at the moment.

Now, I really loved the premise with this book. I haven't read one like it, so I was excited. However, I just couldn't get into this one. I can't entirely pinpoint why that is. The writing was excellent, it flowed well, the characters were developed well, and I actually liked the twist. Didn't see it coming, and I liked that it felt a little... wicked. I won't say anything else because I don't want to give it away
Meggy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

I would like to thank Rachel at Rachel's Random Resources for inviting me to be part of this tour and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Everyone thinks I did it…maybe I did.

Yes, I read this book.

I never thought it would happen to me…

Yet I felt my stomach churn and my blood run cold.

We are scared of so many things. Spiders, earthquakes. But the real thing we should be scared of is ourselves.

Am I Guilty?

I am. I am terribly guil

B.R. Maycock
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my wordy word. Too many things to say-too few words to say them in! So, okay. I suppose I'll begin by saying when I started this book I was having a conversation with some relatives about books. One of the people I was talking to said they could never ever read any books about children and the other backed them up. I told them (mouth getting carried away of course), that actually a huge amount of the books I read are about kids and you kind of get used to them, as generally I pick books that ...more
Connie Fischer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thea and Rupert are parents to Nell and baby Zander. Thea runs a mail order children’s clothing company called Just Enfant. Thea has a long time friend, Isla, with whom she often goes out and they end up drinking way too much.

Flora lives with Isla and helps her with the business. They are good friends and the children enjoy Flora as well.

One day, Thea and Isla, along with Nell and Zander had gone out for the day. The women once again drank too much and when they got home, they started drinking
Janice
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of those pacey, excellent reads told from varying points of view that you just can’t put down until you find out what really happened!

Thea – had it all: gorgeous husband Rupert, 8-year-old daughter Millie, baby son, Zander, online business selling baby clothes.

Annabelle – married to Greg, 11-year-old son Oliver, 8-year-old daughter Nell (Millie’s best friend), 3-year-old daughter Sienna, runs a successful high-end event management business.

Flora – the live-in assistant/au-pair who used to wo
L.S.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thea did it - everyone said so. She even believed it herself. Hated herself for it.  Not that she could remember the day, or how the incident actually happened. But, there were others there at the time - witnesses - and they said she'd done it.

Oh, the beauty of this story is that it takes some time to learn just what the incident is - and it is as shocking as you'd expect. (Do you realise how hard it is to not give anything away here? ;) Trust me, it's a struggle, but you'll thank me for it)

Thea
Pam Fox
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Am I Guilty is Jackie Kabler's first standalone novel, having previously written 3 books in the Cora Baxter Mysteries series. That series is in the Cozy Mystery genre and Am I Guilty is definitely a step in a different direction and could never be discribed as "Cozy".
The book features two families, connected by the daughters who are best friends and a personal assistant, Flora, who worked with one and now works with the other.
So, to the story itself. Thea is the mother in one of the families and
« previous 1 3 next »
Jackie Kabler is a journalist, TV presenter and author. She spent twenty years as a TV news reporter for GMTV, ITV and BBC news, and now works as a presenter for shopping channel QVC and is author of the Cora Baxter Mysteries, a series of murder mysteries set in a television newsroom.

The Development is her third novel. Jackie lives in Gloucestershire with her husband, who is a GP.