Start by marking “The Tragedy Test” as Want to Read:

The Tragedy Test

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  7 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Making Sense of Life-Changing Loss—A Rabbi's Journey

From the back cover:

When tragedy strikes we want to know:
Why did this happen?
How could it have happened?
Where is life’s justice and fairness?

When tragedy strikes we need to know:
What still makes sense.
What paths lead to healing.
How to deal with the timeless questions.

When Rabbi Richard Agler’s twenty-six-year-old daught
Published October 23rd 2018 by Wipf and Stock

To ask other readers questions about The Tragedy Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tragedy Test

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Terry Hudson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a moving tribute to the author's daughter, and a very worthwhile read. I agree with the author's estimate about the mindless platitudes that well-meaning people offer in times of loss.

I was particularly fascinated by the second half of the book on the nature of God as Law and Spirit. I agree that God’s spirit embodies kindness, justice and love. I also feel that prayer changes our behavior. I have long appreciated the words of a Unitarian minister: “Prayer doesn’t change things. Pra
Moshe Heyn
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am fortunate to have not suffered a loss anywhere close to what Rabbi Agler describes in these pages. Yet, I am keenly aware that the possibility is never far away, from one day to the next. And so, as a rabbi and a student of religion and philosophy, I have known that if I WERE to suffer such a devastating loss, whatever theology I choose to embrace would have to pass the "tragedy test." I never thought about it in precisely those terms, which is why I am grateful to Rabbi Agler for reflectin ...more
Steven Hartz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Drawing upon the experience of his tragic loss of his daughter and his many years as a congregational rabbi, Rabbi Agler has produced a well written book that outlines in a concise way the theological issues that tragedy presents. Whatever one’s views on faith may be, this provocative and inspiring book will enable everyone to deal in a more effective and compassionate way with the tragedies with which life confronts all of us in different ways.
Heidi Coretz
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rabbi Richard Agler has used the heartbreaking experience of the loss of his beloved daughter to reexamine his concept of God and God's role in the life of the individual. This understanding challenges the concept of a personal God who hears and responds to our prayers, but doesn't stop tragedy. This book speaks to people of all faiths open to understanding God in a new way. A deeply thoughtful and meaningful read.
D&J Photo
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

When faith is shaken…
Rabbi Richard Agler offers thoughtful, frank, and compassionately accessible guidance while helping us navigate an evolving understanding of God in the face of life’s inevitable and world-shaking experiences. Highly recommended for everyone.
Steven S.
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not really a review, it is a thank you note for what Rabbi Richard Agler has given me and all readers in the Tragedy Test . As I read, I felt as though I was in a conversation with him about matters that are most often unspeakable. In a most intimate and coherent way, he gave voice to so much that most of us cannot say.
I appreciated the format -this allowed me to take in an idea and then mull it over, pause and process it without moving on to the next idea. I keep going back to a couple
Cheryl
Jan 23, 2019
Aley Sheer
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
I have just finished reading the Tragedy Test. It is easily one of the best books I have ever read. The book is an illumination… bringing great insight and understanding for all who struggle with tragedy and with God… and for those who do not.

The Tragedy Test is “When Bad Things Happen To Good People“ meets “Man’s Search For Meaning“. It is at the same time scholarly and spiritual… punctuated with commentary from Maimonides, Spinoza, Einstein and other sources, this Rabbinic treatise will be ver
Zank
Nov 03, 2018
Richard Agler
Nov 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Maureen Carter