Start by marking “Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Serpent & Dove

(Serpent & Dove #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  8,093 ratings  ·  2,180 reviews
For her sixteenth birthday, Louise le Blanc’s mother gave her three things: a sacrificial altar, a ritual knife, and a wicked scar.

Lou’s death would have ended the ancient war between the Church and witches, but Lou refuses to become a martyr. Forsaking her coven, she escapes to the gloomy city of Cesarine and hides her magic as a thief in the criminal underworld. But
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Serpent & Dove, please sign up.
theStorykeeper Sex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case…moreSex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case here, as it's labeled YA)! If you want sex in books, there is a whole entire genre out there for you - they're called adult romance novels. Those of us who don't want to read about sex deserve a space, too.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura I think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french…moreI think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french fortune-teller in the 17th century, and that it literally translates to "The Neighbor" so I'm getting that vibe, otherwise La Voisin was not previously mentioned in the novel. (less)

·  8,093 ratings  ·  2,180 reviews

Regan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sooooo much fun!
✨ A ✨
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Nina and Matthias from SoC
Few things compare to that feeling you get after finishing a book that lived up to your expectations. Ever since I read the blurb of this book I knew I was going to love this and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED.

It had everything I adore:

• addictive; easy writing
• enemies-to-lovers
• marriage of convenience
• witch/witch hunter romance
• slow burn
• intricate magical system
• heart warming female friendship
• morally gradore:
Emma Giordano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars! Such a beautifully rich fantasy debut. I was so pleasantly surprised to find how attached I became to the characters and overall story. This is not a book you are going to want to miss!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for the first time ever, i picked up a book without knowing anything about it. i didnt read the synopsis, not the back cover, nothing. and i have no idea if thats why im rating this so highly - because everything was such an exciting surprise - or what, but wow. this had me hooked!

the first thing that i noticed right away was the writing. my gosh, this does not read like a debut novel. this feels as if its written by a seasoned fantasy author. its utterly divine.

and the content is s
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Holy Fuck.

*deceased*.

Full review to come.
Prince Charming Doesn't Exist
THIS BOOK FUCKING CURED MY NINA AND MATTHIAS DEFICIENCY

IT'S LIKE -- A MARRIAGE BETWEEN MANORIAN AND NITTHIAS

MINAAEMIC PATIENTS WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

WITCH BLOOD DESCENDENTS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO NOT DISGRACE YOUR ANCESTORS!!!

insert Ellie Goulding quote

OH AND PLEASE TAKE THIS IN HIGH DOSES -- 49 TIMES A DAY

P.S. i have a weird satisfaction saying these words witch's blood
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t attending to the star giving auctions for too long but finally I FOUND A… ( oh no I couldn’t find an adjective to express my feelings about this book. Fantastic! No! Too weak! Extraordinary! No! Not emphasizing my emotions enough! Okay let’s get over this auction as I resume my brain storming to find the right words!)

One zillion stars… Did I hear three zillion! What the hell! Five gazillion! What! One jillion, one jillion! Okay two, three jillion! Oh the read head crazy lady
Helena of Sparta ✰
WOWWW!!! This was amazing! What a stunning début! I did NOT think, going into this, that it would be earning itself a place on my favourites shelf! If uni hadn't been such a hindrance (lol whyyy), I'd have absolutely torn through this in one sitting! If this is what Shelby Mahurin has to offer, I'm excited for what's to come in the future!

description

This was an enemies-to-lovers romance, reminiscent of Matthias and Nina from Six of Crows (aka my OTP of the seri
arini
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
#1 serpent & dove ★★★★★
#2 blood & honey (tbr)

ahh i love this book so freaking much!! and i've been walking on air since i finished it. this is an impressive debut novel that doesnt feel like one at all bcs of how outstanding the author’s writing craftsmanship is.

im not good with summarizing, but basically this book is about two sworn enemies who, after a stunt gone wrong, are forced into a matrimony. however, there’s more to this book than just the slow burn enemies to lovers blooming romance.

it has a distinct magicis.
★★★★★
#2
Zainab
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
My dudes, this book was....something.

Okay so the only time I actually like romance in a book is if it starts off with hate. Dude I love hate. So obviously I was very excited for this book and it did not disappoint- well at least the first 300 pages didn't.
The thing is, I really liked Reid at first because I thought he was chivalrous and all but there's a difference between chivalry and being a dumbass and our beloved Reid is a cringey dumbass.
The romance was sudden and cringey and made me wawas..... ...more
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I DARE ANYONE TO NOT LOVE THIS BOOK! ❤

Being stubborn as I am, I was hesitant about letting myself love this book because I saw how much others loved it (I am stupid like that!). So when I started I was hard at work trying to find flaws with it. And sure, it find one or two, but soon they fled my mind completely I was just swept up in this story! This is the first time since I was a teenager that I have stayed up waaaay past midnight because I couldn't stop reading! ❤

"I promised to love and pro
Jordan
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read SERPENT & DOVE before publication, and it quickly became one of my favorite books of all time. If you're a fan of Sarah J Maas' mature themes, then this is a MUST-READ. Below I've jotted some other reasons to pick this up. Don't mind my scrambled brain. Also, PICK THIS BOOK UP. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Things SERPENT & DOVE has that I never knew I needed until the second I did (in random order... because I said so):

1. Forced Marriage: I swooned with
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
A witch/witch hunter love story?? Yes please gimme gimme gimme
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
❥ 5 / 5 stars

Hey, Shelby Mahurin. I think you made a great mistake. In the book, it stated that Lou is a criminal, right? But nah, I don’t think she is. Because the true criminal is YOU! YOU YOU YOU YOU and ONLY YOU! You are accused of killing me and other readers who’re in love with this book. How can I live without having book 2 to read after finishing this? I have to wait for 324 DAYS FROM NOW to read Blood & Honey. it’s almost one year and that’s totally CRUELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If you’re hesitant whether to read this boototally
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
September Fairyloot Unboxing! As usual, click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the Goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK

She said, "You broke my ass bone!" I can’t 🤣😂

Sorry y’all everything is funny and good at the moment! I passed my cancer check up today!! 10/14/19

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
🌻darmera🌻
Like a 3.5, with a bit of generosity on my part - if nothing else the romance wasn't entirely cringeworthy, which is a win for a ya fantasy in my book
Chelsea Humphrey
"A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end-a stake and a match."

I don't know about you, but I find it is a rare day that the hype beast lives up to it's nature, and what a glorious feeling it is when a book lives up to the promises doled out by publishers and early reviewers alike. Serpent & Dove deserves every bit of praise that has been heaped upon it's name, and it will be a most excruciating wait for the second installment. If you hav
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from you, (...)
Where you go, I will go.
Where you stay, I will stay.

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
“For her sixteenth birthday, Louise le Blanc’s mother gave her three things:
A sacrificial altar,
A ritual knife
And a wicked scar.”
That was the description I read when I first saw this book on Goodreads and boooooooy I was so hooked.
And then when it reappeared on my dashboard there was another thing that caught my interest. A witch and witch hunter hate-to-love-trope.
And what can I say? It
☽ TheBibliotheque
WITCHES BE BACK with my favourite fantasy book this year.

"Conscious of the Chasseurs' eyes on me, I forced a smirk and bumped my husband's hip, pretending that it'd all been a show. A laugh. That I'd just been goading him to get a reaction. That I wasn't a witch in Mass, standing amongst my enemies and worshipping someone else's god.
Our lives reflect our hearts.
They might've all been hypocrites, but I was the biggest of them all."

What a splendid debut. What a freaking phenomenal/>"Conscious
Candace Robinson
As soon as I read this blurb, I was like, count me in! Witchy is my name and witchy wars are my game! However, I wasn't sure what I would get, but what I got is one of my favorite books of the year!

I loved both points of views! Lou was ambitious, perfectly flawed, spoke what was on her mind, and down right awesome. Reid was strong willed, innocent yet not innocent, and so dang swoony! And the chemistry between Lou and Reid was so freaking good! Don't let me forget the side characters
Sylvie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 rounded up to 5, because it's worth it!

After finishing the book more than two weeks ago and shortly writing a review after I now decided to finally post the review.
description

Does anyone ever have a certain feeling where you love a book so much that you try to read as slowly as possible, just because you’re loving everything about it and don’t want it to end? Yep, that was me with this book.

At first, I
Hafsah
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fabulous book delivered all it promised: ✔witchcraft ✔enemies-to-lovers ✔conflict ✔shocking twists
The writing was exceptional for a debut.
(And for those of you who love this book to bits I suggest you stop there, like I wish I could)
And Yet....
My pathetic, demanding self is still feeling...well,
underwhelmed.

Because, for me, it didn't really deliver.

-->There wasn't enough witchcraft/magic and a lack of detail thereof. (I mean I'm still a little confused about how their powers work and what they're capable of).
-->The enemies-to/>-->The/>-->There/>
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you HarperTeen for the gifted review copy in exchange for an honest review!

When I first read the synopsis for Serpent & Dove I knew I had to read it, and although I was excited to start I didn't really have that high expectations. And there dear friends, is where I was wrong. This book was everything I wanted it to be! This book has so many amazing elements including witches, witch hunters, enemies to lovers, and forbidden love. The book had me on edge for the two days that
Mary S. R.
Sep 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Mary by: ✨ A ✨
I've been wondering...who else is absolutely done with having this book all over their feed and needs to read it and see what all the fuss is about right now??

Here's a friendly suggestion 🙂 STOP SWOONING OVER THIS BOOK WHEN I HAVEN'T READ IT OR I SWEAR I WILL PERSONALLY GRANT YOUR WISH AND—quite gleefully—HAVE YOU DIE FOR IT
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
⭐⭐⭐ :(

Instagram | full review on youtube

description

this face completely sums up my thoughts. First, I was into it, then I didn't understand the choices the author made so 'nope.'
Mellie Antoinette
This was fantastic!! It’s starts right in the middle of the action, so it takes a moment to take off, but once it did I couldn’t put it down! Witchery, romance, action, intrigue, twists, turns and all ready for a sequel! I’m ready, baby!
Mariah
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
DID SOMEONE SAY NINA AND MATTHIAS
Marija (Inside My Library Mind)
More reviews up on my blog Inside My Library Mind

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Where you go, I'll go

The characters occasionally speaking French isn't world-building
I spoke about this in my Shadow and Bone review, but there’s a difference between something being inspired by France and French history and something just being a rip-off of France. This book had no world-building at all. It is set in the land of Belterra (which means like pretty earth or pretty land, FYI) and the author sho
Lucy Langford
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS!!! All the stars for this witchy goodness!!! 🧙♀

A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end- a stake and a match.

The war between the witches and the church is ancient and ongoing. Louise is a witch who has runaway from her coven and takes cover in the city of Cesarine. She made the decision to forsake all magic and live off whatever she could steal. In the city of Cesarine it is dangerous to be a witch. They are hunted and the
Ashlee » Library In The Country
09/03/2019: HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF MY FAVORITES OF 2019! Serpent & Dove is out now! Shoo, get out of here and go buy it!

Review:
HELLLOOO MY DEAR BOOK AND WELCOME TO MY ALL TIME FAVORITES.

This book guys. THIS BOOK. It is exactly what I look for in a fantasy novel and has pulled me out of my YA slump. It’s looking to get super hyped and I’ll be joining in on that hype for the rest of the year. Brace yerselves.

Shelby Mahurin has created an enrapturing fantasy firmly rooted in the history of European (particularly French) witch trials. I absolutely l

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
Shelby Mahurin grew up on a small farm in rural Indiana, where sticks became wands and cows became dragons. Her rampant imagination didn't fade with age, so she continues to play make-believe every day—with words now instead of cows. When not writing, Shelby watches the Office and obsesses over her Twitter feed. She still lives near that childhood farm with her very tall husband, semi-feral toddle ...more

Serpent & Dove (2 books)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
“I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.” 22 likes
“I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.” 21 likes