Start by marking “Who We Were” as Want to Read:
Who We Were

Who We Were

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Who We Were...

Two awkward teenagers - the loner and the nerd, trying to find our place in the world. Paired in wood shop, we knew nothing of each other, except that we wanted to know everything. Then one life altering moment changed it all and we were left with shattered dreams and broken hearts.

Who We Are...

Two grown men - braver and smarter than we used to be, trying
Published October 31st 2018 by M Collins Author, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Who We Were, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who We Were

Wendy
4.5 ggj

I have read some of this author's work, "Let love Live" was a really great read for me...but this book far surpassed that one...at least for me ;) I laughed, I cried, I drooled a bit...it was awesome ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=awesome gif

Now I can hear you say....well Wendy, if it was so great, why not 5 full stars ?? Well, that's because even though it was wonderful, it wasn't perfect ...the best things never are though ;)

Ryan and Quinn meet for the first time in high school, when they are about 13 years old and Ryan is about to
☆ Todd
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fuckery

There was a lot about this story that I really liked, but I had a few problems with it, too.

In the first parts of the story, I adored both Ryan and Quinn. Ryan had been badly-treated by his family for his entire life, but he had hope of escaping his crappy, difficult life after high school. And Quinn was smitten with Ryan and wanted to make him his own, supporting Ryan in whatever way possible.

Then Ryan started running away. Like move a whole buncha states away "running". Then he ran away again.
Cadiva
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know what it is about me and this author but, once again, everything is on paper for a book that I should absolutely adore but I end up feeling vaguely disappointed with.

I'm sure it's a me thing as there is a lot of really good things about this romance. It's a second chance one, it's a steamy read, it has well developed characters and world building.

But, at the end of my read, I was left a bit flat. I spent half the time wanting to punch one of the MCs and the other half telling number
.Lili.
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not going to rehash the blurb; I'll get down to the nitty-gritty. I had some issues with Who We Were by Melissa Collins. I'll list them.

1. The storytelling was very soap opera-ish. It was melodramatic, and OTT is some instances. I hate to say it, but it read very M/F.

2. Ryan's habit of running away and Quinn's doormat behavior. You know, the first time he ran away- I said okay, I can deal. More than once is a no. And Quinn just taking him back without a real apology and knowing it's going t
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
3.5 stars.

I'm conflicted. While I enjoyed some aspects of the book there were a lot of glaring things that made me dislike it just as much. Let me start of my saying, I was instantly taken by the story. There was just so much sadness when they were teenagers that I wanted to hug them. And I was happy that as adults they were successful and didn't let what happen to them as kids dictate that.

But I was not the biggest fan of Ryan running away not once but three times. I got it the first time.
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

It has been a while since I have read a Melissa Collins story, and I didn't realise how much I had missed her writing.

Who We Were quickly became my favourite Melissa Collins story to date.

Ryan and Quinn's story is not all hearts and flowers. I laughed. I cried. I threw my kindle across the room (well, technically it was from one end of the couch to the other). There were so many feels, from the first page to the last.

From early high school to the present, I adore
Amanda
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

[I received a digital ARC for an honest review]

It's no surprise to anyone that I absolutely loved Melissa Collins' newest M/M romance Who We Were.

They say opposites attract and that how I would describe Quinn and Ryan. Ryan is a quiet loner who lives in his brothers shadow. His resentment and anger seems to be on a constant slow rise, while being in a family that shows him no love and affection. Quinn on the other hand is over all happy with his life. He has a role model for a father who encoura
Becca - ✭Little Red Reading Hood✭
description

description

Blog review

OMG, I knew Melissa Collins is one of those authors who can easily break readers’ hearts but holy gnocchi, this book hit me right in the chest! Dang, Ryan and Quinn totally stole my heart! I’ve never seen this book coming and conquering it all...

I don’t even know where to start... I’m not sure I’m capable of forming coherent thoughts. My mind keeps going back to this story each and every time I think about it. So. Freaking. Heart-wrenching.

What can you say when you’re heart just has b
Stacy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books
3.5 Stars

So I had previously read (listened to) Let Love Live by this Author, when I saw this book coming out, I figured I would give it a go too since that book completely gutted me. After reading this book though, I think that the story might have had more of an impact on me if I had listened to this one in audio as well. Reading it was great, but with stories like this, sometimes they are just so much better when experiencing them in audio format first.

This book is structured along the same
Kirstin
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I couldn't exactly put a finger on it, but as I walked back out into the yard, a sense of calm enveloped me. No matter what happened at the end of our time together, I knew that this would forever go down as one of the most significant moments of my life."

Talk about a heart-wrenching surprise. I had no idea going into this that there would be so many feelings. I am pretty sure I ran through the full gamut of heartbreak, anger, love, hate, hope, disappointment and giddiness.

Ryan and Quinn met in
Happily Ever Chapter
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 4-STAR ✩ REVIEW ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

> > Judging a Book by its Cover < <
Dramatic cover, hot and eye-catching.
The synopsis grabbed me and would not let go.
I’ve been anticipating this one’s release for MONTHS now.

> > Looking Deeper < <
POV ~> Alternating first-person

Angsty. Turbulent. So Much Drama!
The first half of the story largely consists of Ryan and Quinn as High School seniors. They are discovering who they are while trying to find a place to fit into the world that
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
3-3.5*

The story is about two teenage boys finding each other and one running from, well, everything. Family drama, love, his old self...that's what has Ryan running.

This is an emotional book, but I can't say it's my favorite. I had a hard time with Ryan. The way he treated Quinn, the only one to ever care for him, just frustrated me to no end. Yes, he explains it all in the end, and he did it so well...but as it's happening you just want to shake everyone.
I especially disliked Ryan's family. H
Rebecca
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our lives are shaped by our pasts…who we were, what we did, and what mattered to us back then play a part in determining our present as well as our future, and in Melissa Collins’ newest release, Who We Were, her main characters, Ryan and Quinn, are forced to face this lesson a few times throughout the course of their lives, both while they’re apart and while they’re in one another’s life. And, in the 12 years between their past and their present, there’s been 12 years of unanswered questions…of ...more
Carra
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
One thing this author does really well is present characters that have depth and can trigger an emotional response for me, either positive or negative. This time around with Who We Were is no different when it came to character depth for both Ryan and Quinn, though this time around my responses included irritation. The angst level was also pretty high through most of the story which for me became a bit frustrating after a while.

I liked the setup during the first part of the story when they were
Bookgasms Book Blog
Shelves: missy
Do you remember your first love? The one that made your heart pound, made you feel like you were part of something magical, and maybe broke that same heart when it ended? I sure do. And he’ll always have just a tiny bit of my heart forever—even though he was a total jackass when he broke up with me . . .

Quinn and Ryan are each other’s first love. They met in high school—Ryan the quiet loner just trying to make it through the day and Quinn the nerd who wanted to break Ryan out of his shell. They
Ayla
Shelves: arc, damn-emotions, ya
This book is broken into two parts, where the first part is Ryan and Quinn as younger and then the second part was them around 30 or so. Reading about Ryan's childhood broke my heart. The vindictiveness and really cruelty of his brother and dad and the absence of support from his mother made me want to cry and scream at the same time. Seeing how lost and alone Ryan was hurt my soul a bit. But, it was also such good writing because it pulled so much emotion from me. It broke me a bit but I also l ...more
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
Who We Were is Melissa Collin’s next emotionally charged MM romance. I am going to make this short so I don’t spoil anything. It’s a rollercoaster of a ride that you need to experience on your own.

Ryan and Quinn met when they were only thirteen years old. The teen years were complex especially their senior year when they become close. Until one night that changed everything. Now, twelve years later they are back in the same town. The same room. They are grown men who never forgot each other. No
Tracy Perry
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. This book gutted me, my goodness I couldn't stop crying. My heart hurt for Quinn & Ryan, I wanted to hug them both so many times. Ryan went through a lot with his family( grrrr...) , but he wouldn't let Quinn help him, he broke my heart when he kept running & I was mad at Ryan because he broke Quinn's heart more than once. But thank goodness for HEA's , you have to work hard & go through so much & time to get there, but those men got it & so needed it, their love w ...more
Elaine
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything, the emotions that this book invokes is so overwhelming you can't help crying, beinging so mad you want to throw you kindle at the wall several times. Ms Collins writing flow with every chapter with such grace and beauty, you never want to end!!
Beneath The Covers Blog
Shelves: 2018-reads, arcs, sonal
Full review can be found HERE --> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

*ARC provided for a voluntary honest review.* ~Sonal
Sandy S
4.25 stars--

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date October 26, 2018.

Who We Were...

Who We Are...

Two grown men - braver and smarter than we used to be, trying to heal the damage from that irrevocable moment. Even though the past
Kristin
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Warning – book contains bullying and physical and mental abuse, which might be a trigger for some.

I’m going to be upfront and admit, I completely bounced off this story. I don’t know if I was expecting something different based off the blurb, or if I misread, but this wasn’t for me.

The book is split fairly equally into two parts. Part One: the High School years. Ryan is struggling with his feelings towards his only friend Quinn, he’s in an abusive relationship with his twin brother Patrick, and
books are love
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dear Ms. COllins,
There are no words for how much I loved this book. I can’t describe my feelings for all that these two men, Quinn and Ryan, go through to be together. All the anger and heartache you feel pour and bleed from Ryan. All the love, frustration and heartache that Quinn exudes. These two men go through a thousand lifetimes in their journey of love. Of their journey of acceptance and pain. Of their journey to find themselves and each other.
It was Ryan who needed to heal and find himse
Natosha Wilson
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an incredible read. There is so much going on that there is never a dull moment. There is both heartbreak and love. Be warned though there is mention of violence. Melissa Collins did a great job on this book. I will say that there was some parts that came as a surprise to me and in being honest there was parts of the book that I did not like as much as other parts but all in all, they balanced the book.

Ryan is a twin. But as far as twins go Ryan and Patrick could not be anymore dif
Sofia Lazaridou
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Alternative title: Ryan the runner. We witness Ryan run away from his life/past/relationship one too many times. The length of the book falls on the short side and it made all the running a little unnecessary and soap opera-ish for no reason. He ran away from Quinn so many times that I wouldn't have taken him back. It's not only the number of times he just walked away, it's also his lack of apologies. He didn't do any kind of grand gesture and he didn't groove enough. His reason for not coming b ...more
J.E. Benoit
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on behalf of The Book Boyfriend Addict. A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

“I need more. More of you,” I admitted.
“Take it all. It’s all yours. Always has been. Always will be.”

Quinn Jacobs and Ryan Masterson were just awkward teens when they first met. Quinn was kind of a nerd and Ryan was a loner but when they are paired together in woodshop their senior year, they form a sort of friendship which gives way to a mutual attraction that they are both ti
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve had a hard time deciding on how I feel about this book. On the one hand, I loved it and thought Ryan and Quinn were adorable, but on the other, several things just didn’t work for me. In the end, I did love Quinn and Ryan together, I just felt like some things were built up to be more than they were.

I thought Ryan and Quinn had fabulous chemistry, both while they were in high school and when they reconnected as adults. I was happy that Ryan had somewhere to go, someone to lean on when he wa
Christi Snow
My Review:
This is such a hard book for me to rate. Overall, I really enjoyed the book as a whole. Flat out...that's the most important takeaway from this review. I did really like the book and the two men within the story.

I liked the history between the two guys and the depth that added to the story as a whole. I loved watching their friendship develop when they were teens and all the ups and downs that took. My heart broke for Ryan and all the just pure trauma he had to go through and the fact
Kara Hildebrand (Two Book Pushers)
Who We Were is Melissa Collins' newest standalone m/m romance. I’m a huge fan of Melissa's and her writing always takes me to a place where my emotions are high, my heart rate picks up and I chuckle and smile a lot. Who We Were is a second chance romance with a lot of heart, sadness, sexiness and angst. Ryan and Quinn know each other as kids. Then they meet again as teenagers and finally become friends. Quinn isn't hiding the fact that he's gay. He's not quite out, but he's not in the closet eit ...more
Within The Pages Book Blog
Who We Were by Melissa Collins-MM/Second Chance Romance

At the start of this book we read about high schoolers Ryan and Quinn who are paired up together in shop class. Ryan is a super quiet guy who just wants to finish high school with his head down and not cause any problems. Quinn is determined to make Ryan a friend and possibly more.

I loved this book! I felt like Ryan and Quinn were made for one another and Ryan just needed to prove to himself that he could be himself around everyone besides Q
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Melissa Collins has always been a book worm. Studying Literature in college ensured that her nose was always stuck in a book. She followed her passion for reading to the most logical career choice: English teacher. Her hope was to share her passion for reading and the escapism of books to her students. Having spent more than a decade in front of a classroom, she can easily say that it’s been a dre ...more