Start by marking “Layers of Deception” as Want to Read:
Layers of Deception

Layers of Deception

An absolutely riveting international crime thriller that'll make you think - while keeping you on the edge of your seat!

What would you risk to achieve your ambition?
Would you risk the lives of your family and colleagues to get out of a financial hole?
Would you risk all for the next big deal?
How far is too far?

Leo James clearly knows his stuff when it comes t
Published January 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Layers of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layers of Deception

Start your review of Layers of Deception
FRANCHESKA MILNE
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was passed on to me by a friend along with the comment "by the time you reach the 2nd chapter I bet you can't put it down".

He was right, although the subject of this book is not my normal read and the mention of cyber security was a little daunting, it is non stop suspense and at times you feel you have to come up for air then straight back to it

Leo James writes in a way that explains the intricacies of the software industry that everybody will understand instantly without the need to
Patrick St-Amand
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Was gonna give it four stars but found the last half to be filled with choppy and wooden dialogue. Interesting premise for sure but I seriously felt like the last 150 pages were written by someone with rudimentary English skills. A few spelling mistakes and punctuation issues could definitely have been caught with another edit. Still, the story itself was good which at least merits a 3 star review.
Karrar
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The novel is a real thriller, the layer of deception dug deep inside corporations and had many plot twist, which let you feel shocked sometimes trying to process how things happened.
The way the story started success to hawk me up, I liked how the author draws the scenes with word made it very Clear for the reader to imagine and dive inside the novel, I loved the crash scene in chapter one it shows many details So realistic and an attention to small details which really impress me.
The plot was b
FreshBrewBooks
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book starts off with a bang (quite literally!) and doesn't slow down. The story follows a computer security firm trying to land a contract in Kuala Lumpur. The group gets involved in blackmail, extortion and gang activity when they expose the contract company's dealings involving the dark web. I don't have much experience with security technology but the author explains everything so the reader can easily understand. The story itself follows a smooth story arc and follows a natural progress ...more
Ann J. Kelly
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a grab you by the seat of your pants and take you in different directions book. Many twists and turns and hardly any lulls. The author is very good at setting descriptions such that you feel like you're experiencing what the protagonist is. I didn't expect much from the title when I picked this book to read but it was so much more intense and captivating than what I expected that I was surprised.
Bg Hartley
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from start to finish couldnt put it down. Lots of characters and great plot cant wait for a follow up!!
WordsAPlenty audiobookreviewer
A struggling software business based in the U.K. is seeking clients and successfully find one in Malaysia. Steve Roussos, along with his colleagues, is excited – their bills will be paid, they are a success and they are ready to move forward; well, that is until one makes a startling discovery on the dark net that will send their worlds spiraling and for some will end in deadly consequences!

Leo James has skillfully written an international thriller with plot twists and developments that are soli
Mrsk Stephen
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book to keep you on the edge of your seat!
Layers of Deception, by Leo James, has a well developed plot and follows the typical story arc; there is plenty of tension right from the opening chapter through to the last sentence. The reader is kept on pins and needles throughout the story wondering what the ruthless bad guys are going to do next – will it be a bomb, a hidden camera, more bribes, food poisoning, an illicit sexual encounter, blackmail, a rape, a murder, a cyber-crime? Truly the anta
Morgan Amos
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
All in all, this novel wasn’t my speed but could be an excellent read for someone who likes international crime thrillers.

Layers of Deception is a novel full of action, murder, and of course, deception. While I appreciate this, I found it hard to maintain my focus with reading this novel at times because there were so many moving parts.

Don’t get me wrong, I like an action-packed thriller, and this story had a solid storyline, however, there were too many players in this game and there were times
Nicolás Manfredi
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book. I'm not one to read thrillers often (I prefer to watch thriller movies instead), but in this case I couldn't find myself able to put down the book after a few hours in. It's remarkably gripping and well-written, with a myriad of characters that don't feel superficial at all. Quite on the contrary, I don't remember having watched or read a thriller in which there was substantial character development. And in this case, there is.
Moreover, the story holds you to your seat at ever
MR A EPWORTH
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book, from the first chapter, grabs you by the scruff of the neck and takes you on a roller coaster ride through corruption and murder on the Asian continent. From the car crash in the first chapter to the amazing twist in the final chapter the author, Leo James, has you on the edge of your seat wondering where this thriller is going to take you next.
The novel has many cyber technicalities that the author explains in such a way that even a dinosaur such as myself can easily understand.
The c
Susan Hamann
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book. The narrator was quite good. His pacing and inflection were well done.

The author has written a detailed book describing a real life story of corporate intrigue. The story starts with several men from a small software security company, desperate to find a partner or customer to help support the company. They are referred to a large company in Malaysia and make a deal. They will be forever sorry that they ever heard of their partner company. As the tea
Aurora
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I confess I found this book a little bit difficult to get into originally, possibly because I'm not really current on the whole block chain / bitcoin / electronic financial management sector, but I stayed with it through the first hour, and once it started rolling along the plot DEFINITELY caught my attention. The story is full of organized crime, murder, bad cops, sex, lies, family drama ... all the best things in international thrillers.
It's not a pretty story and it's scary because it's so pl
Eric Cousineau
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having worked in the IT field for over 20 years, I found the author describes the somewhat complex world of technology in a manner that should be relatively easy for the average layman to understand. Combine this with a set of well-developed characters and a plausible yet complex storyline involving organized crime, money laundering, murder, bad cops, sex, lies, family drama ... and you have yourself a cracking international thriller.

This is my first exposure to this author and it definitely wil
Sandy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding
I do not review many books written by gentlemen but this book sounded so interesting so I accepted the arc of the audiobook. I loved it! It was a wonderful thriller. I had a super hard time not spending my whole day listening to this one. It is fast-paced and will keep you on the edge of your seat and the narrator was dream smooth voice with just the right tone for this book. If I could give this more than 5-stars I would I highly recommend that you either get the book or audiobook.
Jay Williams
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and imaginative story told in a style overloaded with verbiage and in desperate need of a good edit. It is just a slow read because of the massive use of big words and repetitive descriptions. You learn much about Malaysian gang terminology and processing of financial transactions. The ending leaves open a continuation of some of the characters, but the initial issues all seem to get resolved.
Quanita
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A British company that designed security for payment on the internet unknowingly makes a pact with devil. When they discover their mistake they are targeted by the leader of the Malaysian underworld. The y use blackmail, murder, and corrupted police officials to sway, unsuccessfully, the techs. There is no down time in this story, it really moves. I was gifted this from the author.
GARGAM3LS  B3AUT1FUL
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
By the second chapter, I was hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced, edge of your seat thriller. It's an interesting book about how far someone will go to see their dreams come true. I would recommend this book. I received a complimentary copy of this audiobook and am giving an honest review.
Pat Eroh
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Awesome characters and even more awesome storyline/plot. I could not put this book down. So action-packed with an edge-of-your-seat thrill! I highly recommend this to thriller lovers.

I received this book from the author and am voluntarily providing an honest review.
Vivian Martin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Leo James knows how to write a story that grips your mind from the first page to the last. It is a cannot-put-it-down novel. I would recommend it to anyone.
Ann Keeran
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, thrilling and totally engrossing. And that's just the beginning! Business intrigue, attempted murders and tons of suspense coalesce into an amazing book. Don't miss it!
Brad
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, thriller, 2019
My copy was an audiobook narrated by Elis Doyle who does a great job, providing a multitude of different voices for the various characters. His reading is natural and fluent and not “posh, BBC English”. I do wish he’d leave a couple of breaths between scene changes though as he sometimes flows from a scene in Malaysia to a scene in England, or from a board room to a hotel room with no discernable break, making it difficult for a listener to realise that the setting has changed. Otherwise he’s a ...more
Janet Cosgrove
Feb 07, 2020
Maxime Croft
Apr 07, 2019
Brian Lee
Apr 13, 2019
Kara Klotz
rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2019
Kristen Burch
Dec 30, 2019
Kelsey
May 03, 2019
Cindy Jensen
Sep 29, 2019
Leo James
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
judie l. rossberg
AnaRuilope
Sep 23, 2019
Trevor Mellon
Sep 23, 2019

• The Curious Case of the Missing Head: A Medical Thriller (Jack Rogan Mysteries Book 5)
  • When She Returned
  • The Last Conversation
  • Mouse's Tale: An Alpha League Supers Novel
  • Miami (The Crime Beat #3)
  • Washington, D.C. (The Crime Beat #2)
  • New York (The Crime Beat, #1)
  • The Guardian
  • The Career Killer (DCI Mabey Book 1)
  • The Last Day For Rob Rhino: A suspenseful mystery filled with nail-biting twists (Twisted Crime Book 2)
  • Meredith Potts Cozy Mystery Anthology
  • Kill Sight
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Webcam (The Konrath/Kilborn Collective)
  • Roadkill
  • Conspiracy Theory
  • The Haunting of Galsbury Inn: Haunted House
  • Ashley Bell (Ashley Bell, #1)
Leo began writing during his recovery from a serious fall into a storm drain whilst on business in Singapore. To this day, he has not solved the mystery of who pushed him. Stuck in hospital, Leo found it cathartic to write. It helped with his recovery, both mentally and physically. That was the start. Once back to work, and travelling internationally, he would write everywhere: on planes, trains, ...more