Start by marking “Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)” as Want to Read:
Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Viper

(Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Marianne has been training to be the Viper for her entire life - to serve and protect the King and the citizens of The Twelve Isles - but to become the Viper and protect the islands she loves she must find the strength to defeat her father. A new fantasy trilogy perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas.

He will make me a killer.
Or he will have me killed.
That is my destiny.

Seventeen
Published April 18th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Viper, please sign up.
Sarah Corrigan There's no American deal as of yet but you should be able to get the UK edition through Book Depository when it releases on April 18th!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Second Book In March Fairyloot Box. Click under picture to see the goodies link

THE GOODIES
ThatBookGal
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for Viper, I got real Game of Thrones Iron Island vibes. After reading, you need to mix in a whole heap of Pirates of the Caribbean, a splash of Hunger Games and a big old dollop of originality, and you arrive at Viper.

I love Bex Hogan's debut novel and the adventure it took me on. The world she has created was interesting and well crafted, each island with its own personality, and landscape. The story itself took enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there was
Manon
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
*4.25 Stars*

I got an early copy of this book thanks to Fairyloot

Marianne has spent her entire life on a ship. See, her father is the Viper, which is the Captain of the Maiden, a ship meant to protect the Eastern islands except this role has turned and now he is just a vicious, terrible person who does nothing but harm and steal. Marianne can't take it anymore and decided it has to end but it's a lot more complicated than that, not only would she have to escape but she'd have to go against her fa
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pirates are my catnip and this was one heck of an adventure.

Review to come.
Anniek
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of this book through the publisher.

I'm a sucker for pirate books, and this one started off so great: really atmospheric and with interesting world building. The plot was a little messy at times, and the story lacked some originality, but it was such an entertaining read, and it posed a lot of interesting questions to be explored further in the sequel.
Marky
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Na začátku jsem dost umírala nudou, ale pak se to rozjelo. Část zápletky jsem uhodla, ale to nevadilo.. Spíš mi přišlo, že autorka všechno vysvětluje a málo ukazuje. V knize je velké množství popisů a hoodně málo dialogů. Ale pirátské prostředí i mapa jsou na jedničku, to zas jo :D
3,5/5*
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
Respect has to be earned among Snakes, and I have done nothing to gain theirs yet

Marianne is next in line to become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles. But the deadly and most dangerous man, the current Viper, stands in her way...and he's her father. She was born to protect, but in order to save her home, the boy she loves and her family she may have to risk destroying it all, including herself.

I love me some pirates in YA! I tried really hard to not read anything about this book before
Paperbacks
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, YA Fantasy covers are knocking it out of the park so far this year, Viper has colour and foiling and it's just wonderful. Whilst I read this as an Arc via Netgalley, I then received a copy in my Fairyloot box which was amazing as I absolutely loved this book and to have that cover in my grabby hands is awesome. Viper is the kind of book that grabs you with both hands from the opening lines and pulls you under the waves so you are totally immersed in the story. I knew immediately that th ...more
Lauren
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as i realised this had a pirate theme I knew I was going to love it. Even though this is the first book in a trilogy it had an ending so this could be read as a standalone in my opinion. Saying that though I will be purchasing the next one in the series. I loved the different relationships between the characters and how they develope through the book. This was part of a book box that I receive and they didn't disappoint me with their choice!
Neelam
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent an eARC of this books from Hachette Children’s Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
When I saw the beautiful cover of this book it instantly attracted me and when I saw it was a pirate book, I was sold! And this book did not disappoint! I loved it so much and I’m really looking forward to the next book.

This book is fast paced, action packed and very brutal and bloody and right from the beginning we see how brutal Marianne’s father is and the type of people she has grow
Lauren Knapper
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is easily a 4.5 stars.
From the very first page, Viper had me hooked. I was immediately pulled into Marianne's perspective by Bex Hogan's captivating writing. Marianne is an easy protagonist to fall in love with and root for. She's struggling on board the Maiden, her ruthless father's ship that dominates the six isles. From the very beginning, even in subtle ways, Marianne is defiant against the life her father wishes for her. Her father, Captain Adler, is cruel and a terrifying character as
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thankyou to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of Viper, in exchange for an honest review.

You know what I love? Pirate books that give you actual, bloodthirsty pirates. You know what this book gave me? EXACTLY THAT. Viper was exciting, horrifying and took absolute joy in ripping my heart out on several occasions.

Marianne has been raised on the deadliest pirate ship on the seas. Full of ruthless assassins, and her father, the most ruthless of them all. Known as the Viper, he drives f
Tika
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced reading copy of this book.

Seventeen-year-old Marianne is fated to one day become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles.

But the reigning Viper stands in her way. Corrupt and merciless, he prowls the seas in his warship, killing with impunity, leaving only pain and suffering in his wake.

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.

She was born to protect the islands. But can she fight for them if it means losi
Tika
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.

Rebecca
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a beautiful paperback copy of Viper in the March fairyloot box (a few weeks before it is released!). Always glad to read British YA authors.

The book starts off similarly to other YA fantasies. The heroine, Marianne, is a very standard protagonist of this genre. She's overlooked, expected to be more ruthless than she is, and her Dad is a complete jerk.

And then it gets completely brutal just after 100 pages, way more than I was expecting.

The plot is full of twists and turns, the pacing
Sophia's Thoughts
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really enjoyable read with a main character that I felt connected to almost immediately. I haven't read an ocean based story in a while and so I really enjoyed the setting and the rest of the world was introduced in a very natural way - no heavy world-building at all but it wasn't needed. There were twists to keep the plot engaging and characters who were easy to route for or against. Our protagonist wasn't faultless which was refreshing and I'm really looking forward to where her sto ...more
Fran Clarke
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I loved it so much. It was amazing.

Can I start by saying that my favourite part about it is, that although it is the first part of a trilogy (super excited), it was still a complete story in it's own right and I felt satisfied when it ended.

The characters in this book really made it for me, they all had so much depth and I loved watching each of them develop. I particularly enjoyed learning more about the Viper, he had so many layers to him.

This book has basically left me wi
Gemma F
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Viper was one heck of a ride! I was surprised at how much I breezed through it.

A mix of Pirates meets Game of Thrones, the violence in the novel was brutal but made sense to the context of the worldbuilding and Marianne’s upbringing.

Brilliantly crafted with tons of action, and a heroine I was rooting for. Some parts of the book was predictable, but worth seeing through to the end of the first book in this new trilogy!

Can’t wait for Book 2!

A complimentary advanced reader’s copy was prov
Georgia
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well-written story that has everything you need to enjoy it. There is lots of action and plotting and scheming to keep you engrossed. The bad guy is so scary you can feel their ruthlessness coming out of the pages. You will want Marianne to succeed from page 1.

I can't describe enough how much i adore this book. This is an incredible read that comes with the knowledge of a another two books to follow. I didn't want it to end but couldn't put it down! Get this book preordered or you
Nina
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eine gute Fantasygeschichte, bei der mir aber noch das gewisse Etwas fehlt.
Die Handlung ist spannend und die Charaktere interessant, trotzdem konnte mich das Buch nie komplett mitreißen und ich mich nicht hundertprozentig in die Geschichte hineinversetzen.
Ein paar Seiten mehr hätten dem Buch wohl nicht geschadet.
Bethany Fletcher
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was not very good. The writing was terrible. Always stating the obvious. Her transitions were horrendous. The action scenes were short and not well fleshed out yet all the family drama went on forever. It read like the author was more comfortable writing contemporary so fantasy was daunting and she chickened out. If you can’t write good magic and fight scenes don’t write fantasy. Please.

The book was short so quick to read but finding the motivation to pick this up was a struggle.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This boat is a prison. I am my father's captive. He will make me a killer or he will have me killed. And I have always known this."

I was very lucky to obtain Viper by Bex Hogan from a girl on Fairyloot Buy/Trade/Sale page on Facebook. After hearing nothing but amazing things about this book, I was super excited to read it. But what I did not expect was how much I would fall in love with the story. Wow.

Viper is the type of book that you cannot put down. The writing style of Hogan is fantastic
Angela Groves
A strong 3.5. This book had some incredible world building, and some very intense and likeable characters. The only reason for the half a star drop was the ending, it left it open for the next book, but i felt the questions it answered were not necessarily the ones i wanted answering. All being said, i eagerly await reading the next book. Hopefully my questions will be answered then.
Kristin
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This debut book by Bex Hogan was fast-paced, entertaining and very easy to read and understand! I will just spare you from my ramling and let you know what I liked and what I did not like so much!

Positive:

Okay, there are LOTS of positive things about this book (I mean, obviously, I rated it 4 stars after all!!).

1. Marianne is GREAT, and that is not an understatement! Her character was very realistic and she narrated the story beautifully. She is clearly struggling under the will of the patriarc
Sasha
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⇒Featuring pirate assassins, kickass heroines and magical islands

This swashbuckling fantasy debut from Bex Hogan just about swept me off my feet!

The setting of Viper was a beautiful fantasy world full with mysterious islands and complex political systems. The author did a wonderful job of weaving world building in amongst the action, and I quickly fell in love with her immersive writing style and the world she wrote about. Each island has it's own personality and mystique!

There was just the righ
Marie
Overall, the premise of this story and the diverse cast of characters definitely pulled me in and made me wanna continue with the series. It's great to have a poc main character in a fantasy world like this and I also enjoyed how brutal the story could get. This isn't a soft washed ya story where no one dies and the stakes aren't real. The stakes are very real and you could lose everything all throughout the story.

I had some issues getting into the story and understanding Mariannes motivation f
Theresa
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

oof. wow. what?
That was quite a handful. But in a very good way.

This book took me by surprise.
I picked it up wanting to embark on a adventure with a whole lot of pirates and fantasy - but in the back of my mind I was already dreading long meandering parts which would take over the enjoyment of the story. (I am looking at you Shadow and Bone.)

Well, it's like the book has heard my apprehensions.
This was everything but long and meandering.
So much was happening all the time. And not in a con
Daniela Rosa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just finished reading Bex Hogan’s debut novel and WOW! I totally loved it! It is so unique, so different to what I’ve read before. Full of action packed scenes that keep you hooked. And just the right amount of romance.

I read this in just a couple of hours as it was so easy to read and enjoyable. Watching Marianne grow to become the strong warrior she becomes and the emotions she feels make me feel I was really there with her. I loved the setting of the story with the twelve isles and bein
Katrin (thebooksshereads)
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!!

It has action on top of action followed by action and then more action. Just when you think you'll be able to breathe, someone immediately says something that gets your heart beating faster than usual. It is incredibly action-packed and is just really REALLY exciting.

Writing flow is also great. I was hooked from the very first page and it kept me hooked until the end. In fact, I was so into the story that I didn't want it to end.
Awesome world-building. The Twelve Isles ar