Start by marking “Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)” as Want to Read:
Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Viper

(Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Marianne has been training to be the Viper for her entire life - to serve and protect the King and the citizens of The Twelve Isles - but to become the Viper and protect the islands she loves she must find the strength to defeat her father. A new fantasy trilogy perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas.

He will make me a killer.
Or he will have me killed.
That is my destiny.

Seventeen
Published April 18th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Viper, please sign up.
Sarah Corrigan There's no American deal as of yet but you should be able to get the UK edition through Book Depository when it releases on April 18th!

Start your review of Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
ThatBookGal
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for Viper, I got real Game of Thrones Iron Island vibes. After reading, you need to mix in a whole heap of Pirates of the Caribbean, a splash of Hunger Games and a big old dollop of originality, and you arrive at Viper.

I love Bex Hogan's debut novel and the adventure it took me on. The world she has created was interesting and well crafted, each island with its own personality, and landscape. The story itself took enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there was
Vivianne
Spoiler free!

I really enjoyed this book. Overall it is a very solid read. I liked the main character, she is strong, determined and makes right decisions. I liked the plot which was full of pirates, murder and action, and constantly moving. The setting and world were phenomenal and very interesting. The side characters were all well developed and entertaining. There was a great villain and I loved the Sea Serpents! The book is written good and the romance was also ok (though not my favorite par
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
This was definitely much darker than I was expecting, and I wasn't super into that. It was pretty average for the most part, and the few torture/murder scenes didn't quite seem to fit the rest of the story. As well, first person present tense is probably my least favourite thing in fantasy books, and it definitely took me out of the story. It was a good premise, but just feel short for me.
Alexandra
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairyloot
This book was AMAZING. It was so, so good and I really hope a sequel is in the works.

I could write a huge review, but I think I'll leave it with this: it surpassed my expectations and I really enjoyed reading it.
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
"Darkness has me in its unrelenting grip. Revenge is my mistress and I will be obedient. "

If you're looking for a book with 90% of the typical ya tropes and with zero characterisation, this gem if for you.
Naaytaashreads
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“The man by my side is my opposite and my reflection. The dark to my light. The light to my dark. And everything in between.
But I'm not sure either of us could survive the heartbreak of being together yet being apart.
Love is not enough.”

I love pirates and I don't understand how have I not have a list of pirates books to read.
This gave me pirates vibes, game of thrones and a bit of King Arthur but I guess female versi
micolreads
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been one of my favorites, if only everything didn’t happen that fast. This book being so short, but with a lot happening within 300 pages, I felt like on a rollercoaster, without a moment to take a breath.

We follow Marianne trying to find her path of life, changing her vision of her father and his behavior. And in no more than 300 pages we actually see her maturing, finding her path and finally finding who she really is. Unfortunately I can only speak well about Marianne, s
Zaide
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

This quote sums up everything I thought this book would be. Marianne is the daughter of the Viper, a fearless and merciless captain known for his brutality and unforgiving nature. And if she is going to succeed him and claim her birthright as the next Viper, she must kill him. I expected her to be fierce and fearless, I thought this would be a thrilling and brutal battle between the two. It was not. In fact,
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pirates are my catnip and this was one heck of an adventure.

Review to come.
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
Respect has to be earned among Snakes, and I have done nothing to gain theirs yet

Marianne is next in line to become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles. But the deadly and most dangerous man, the current Viper, stands in her way...and he's her father. She was born to protect, but in order to save her home, the boy she loves and her family she may have to risk destroying it all, including herself.

I love me some pirates in YA! I tried really hard to not read anything about this boo
Manon the Malicious
*4.25 Stars*

I got an early copy of this book thanks to Fairyloot

Marianne has spent her entire life on a ship. See, her father is the Viper, which is the Captain of the Maiden, a ship meant to protect the Eastern islands except this role has turned and now he is just a vicious, terrible person who does nothing but harm and steal. Marianne can't take it anymore and decided it has to end but it's a lot more complicated than that, not only would she have to escape but she'd have to go against her fa
Shima
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of feels like what would happen if you took a typical YA series and then condensed the whole story arc into one book, not by speeding up the pace, but by removing every character moment, emotional scene, world-building detail or original twists that would have made it even remotely interesting. What we end up with is a book in which a lot happens but nothing actually feels important.

Characters are introduced and killed within chapters, people are separated and reunited, identitie
Xristina Psylla
I didn't want to write a review, but then I thought, if it was my book and someone had rated with 2 stars I would like to know why. So here we are...

It was the first time that I didn't feel a thing. Actually scrats that, I felt gross in a medical scene.

What I meant was that it was the first time that not even one character made me like her/him. Every last one of them were indifferent. So as the plot.
It was a wonderful -and unique- idea which didn't go well. I mean pirates mate! What more do I
rachel ☾
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Trigger warnings for (view spoiler) ...more
Natalie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES. What a book!

Action-packed, thrilling, violent and oh, so satisfying. I've only ever read one pirate novel (Treasure Island) and it certainly wont be my last. SO GOOD. Characters were interesting, the story was constantly gripping and I was thoroughly impressed with Hogan's writing and storytelling.

Fantastic. Excellent work, Bex!
10/10 would recommend. I would love Venom, please!

sidenote: this might not be suitable for younger readers. When I say it's violent, it's violent. Like, children d
Moon
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I was going to love this book for the first few pages/chapters and then I was going headlong into it and couldn't stop. I need more.
Anniek
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of this book through the publisher.

I'm a sucker for pirate books, and this one started off so great: really atmospheric and with interesting world building. The plot was a little messy at times, and the story lacked some originality, but it was such an entertaining read, and it posed a lot of interesting questions to be explored further in the sequel.
Lexi // libraryoflexi
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher and the ever amazing Tori for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

High 3.5-4 stars.
It took a while to read this one. I picked it up probably a month or so ago, read a few pages and got distracted by adulting.

Literally me trying to pay attention to a book right now.

But I managed to pick it back up the other day and really get into it.. and quite enjoyed it.
Loved loved loved the blood thirsty pirates. YAAS STAB EVERYONE.

I blame Game of Thrones for t
Kirsti
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another victim to my dreaded reading slump, I knew that once I could settle in and actually read this book that I would enjoy it. And I did! It was a fantastic pirate book, YA but still very gory and bloody from start to finish. It has a magical element as well, and I can't wait to see where more of that goes because it only really appears late in the book. the characters are absolutely fantastic, and are really brought to life with some fantastic writing and plot devices. There is romance, ...more
Emmie Rose
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why didn't I read this book sooner?!?! I am so happy that I was encouraged to read this as I absolutely loved it. I was hooked from the very beginning and quickly found myself completely immersing myself into the world that Bex Hogan has created.

The characters in this book are so well written and I honestly found myself loving and rooting for Marianne. She's a strong willed, independent protagonist who has flaws and that makes her more realistic and relatable. I also really loved Grace and how
Stephanie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

PROS:
--Viper has the perfect ingredients of magic, pirates, assassins, romance and action! It was a wild, thrilling ride that had me on the edge of my seat rooting for Marianne.
--Lots of tension, drama and suspense!
--The world building was great! I loved the idea of the Isles and the Maiden ship stalking the seas.
--The characters were believable (Crying gifs for all the great characters who died! :( Hogan kills her darlings, don’t get attached to anyone!)
--Grace was a sweetheart, Torin
Kerry
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful unique tale of destiny, piracy, love, family, betrayal, danger, war, corruption and a fight to save the kingdom from destruction.
Marianne is due to inherit the role of Viper, protector of the King and the Twelve Isles. She must face a difficult, perilous and arduous journey first though. Having to learn who to trust and trying to keep herself and those she loves and cares for alive.
An Amazing journey and I can’t wait to read the next instalment to find out what happens to Marianne
My Yorkshire Litmosphere
I have had this book sat on my shelf for what seems like forever! And with my friend Kayleigh hampering on about how good it was, I thought it was time to pick it up and see what the fuss was about!

I was not disappointed!

The Plot itself is a hard one to make unique - after all there are a lot of Pirate themed tales out the at the moment. But I felt like the characters story and dilemma's made up for this completely. It is really intriguing so see how authors create and develop and internal confl
Tiffany Heywood
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Loved this book, I was so intrigued that I struggled to put it down each night. There was fighting, romance, plot twist and discovery. I loved the setting, how its mainly set on a ship. It reminded me a lot of pirates and the carribean which I loved. The land setting was different islands in the ocean, each island had a different personality which I found really interesting. I liked how we explored each island even if it was really unpleasant sometimes.
The characters were all well thought and
Jenna
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m really not sure what we’ve done to be blessed with so many pirate-y books in the past few years but I am LIVING for it!!

Viper definitely falls under the category of swashbuckling adventure and is full of characters you want to meet (and some you don’t), as well as places I know I at least want to visit!

There were a lot of threads left dangling at the end of this novel, but I’m super excited to find out where they lead!!

I did struggle with the timeline of this book though. Even after finishi
Everlinet
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
It was really a wonderful story, something between pirates of the Caribbean and game of thrones, but in young adult version. It was a quick few hours long read. Loved the main character, the action, the adventure.
I liked the fact that the pirates were actually evil which is what I expected & loved. It was simple yet set in interesting new world, surprisingly good book.
Simone
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every second of this. Such an epic adventure, with brilliant compelling characters and a swoonworthy star-crossed romance. Everything I look for in a book, basically. Love love love. Cant wait for the rest of the trilogy!
Amy
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a subscription box and honestly had never heard of it before so wasn’t overly intrigued to pick it up, but I am going to an event in October where Bex Hogan will be so I figured I should probably get around to reading it.

I have to say; the first 15% of this book I really enjoyed it; I thought the world-building was well done and I had a clear sense of the world. She really gave a good idea of the pirate world and the Viper’s. It’s not the uniquest plot in the worl
Paperbacks
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, YA Fantasy covers are knocking it out of the park so far this year, Viper has colour and foiling and it's just wonderful. Whilst I read this as an Arc via Netgalley, I then received a copy in my Fairyloot box which was amazing as I absolutely loved this book and to have that cover in my grabby hands is awesome. Viper is the kind of book that grabs you with both hands from the opening lines and pulls you under the waves so you are totally immersed in the story. I knew immediately that th ...more
Dreximgirl
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was packed with so many things I love; adventure, pirates, secrets, badassery, strong well developed characters, plot twists and a sense of development. Overall I was very impressed. A strong 4.5 stars.

• To Best the Boys
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)

Isles of Storm and Sorrow (3 books)
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
  • Vulture (Isles of Storm and Sorrow, #3)

News & Interviews