Start by marking “Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)” as Want to Read:
Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

Viper

(Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)

He will make me a killer. Or he will have me killed. That is my destiny.

Seventeen-year-old Marianne is fated to one day become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles.

But the reigning Viper stands in her way. Corrupt and merciless, he prowls the seas in his warship, killing with impunity, leaving only pain and suffering in his wake.

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean
Published April 18th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Viper, please sign up.
Sarah Corrigan There's no American deal as of yet but you should be able to get the UK edition through Book Depository when it releases on April 18th!

ThatBookGal
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the blurb for Viper, I got real Game of Thrones Iron Island vibes. After reading, you need to mix in a whole heap of Pirates of the Caribbean, a splash of Hunger Games and a big old dollop of originality, and you arrive at Viper.

I love Bex Hogan's debut novel and the adventure it took me on. The world she has created was interesting and well crafted, each island with its own personality, and landscape. The story itself took enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there was
Vivianne
Spoiler free!

I really enjoyed this book. Overall it is a very solid read. I liked the main character, she is strong, determined and makes right decisions. I liked the plot which was full of pirates, murder and action, and constantly moving. The setting and world were phenomenal and very interesting. The side characters were all well developed and entertaining. There was a great villain and I loved the Sea Serpents! The book is written good and the romance was also ok (though not my favorite par
Alexandra
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairyloot
This book was AMAZING. It was so, so good and I really hope a sequel is in the works.

I could write a huge review, but I think I'll leave it with this: it surpassed my expectations and I really enjoyed reading it.
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
Respect has to be earned among Snakes, and I have done nothing to gain theirs yet

Marianne is next in line to become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles. But the deadly and most dangerous man, the current Viper, stands in her way...and he's her father. She was born to protect, but in order to save her home, the boy she loves and her family she may have to risk destroying it all, including herself.

I love me some pirates in YA! I tried really hard to not read anything about this book before
Manon the Malicious
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical, bookbox
*4.25 Stars*

I got an early copy of this book thanks to Fairyloot

Marianne has spent her entire life on a ship. See, her father is the Viper, which is the Captain of the Maiden, a ship meant to protect the Eastern islands except this role has turned and now he is just a vicious, terrible person who does nothing but harm and steal. Marianne can't take it anymore and decided it has to end but it's a lot more complicated than that, not only would she have to escape but she'd have to go against her fa
Cora Tea Party Princess
Pirates are my catnip and this was one heck of an adventure.

Review to come.
Anniek
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an eARC of this book through the publisher.

I'm a sucker for pirate books, and this one started off so great: really atmospheric and with interesting world building. The plot was a little messy at times, and the story lacked some originality, but it was such an entertaining read, and it posed a lot of interesting questions to be explored further in the sequel.
Lexi // libraryoflexi
Thank you to the publisher and the ever amazing Tori for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

High 3.5-4 stars.
It took a while to read this one. I picked it up probably a month or so ago, read a few pages and got distracted by adulting.

Literally me trying to pay attention to a book right now.

But I managed to pick it back up the other day and really get into it.. and quite enjoyed it.
Loved loved loved the blood thirsty pirates. YAAS STAB EVERYONE.

I blame Game of Thrones for t
Stephanie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

PROS:
--Viper has the perfect ingredients of magic, pirates, assassins, romance and action! It was a wild, thrilling ride that had me on the edge of my seat rooting for Marianne.
--Lots of tension, drama and suspense!
--The world building was great! I loved the idea of the Isles and the Maiden ship stalking the seas.
--The characters were believable (Crying gifs for all the great characters who died! :( Hogan kills her darlings, don’t get attached to anyone!)
--Grace was a sweetheart, Torin wa
Xristina Psylla
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't want to write a review, but then I thought, if it was my book and someone had rated with 2 stars I would like to know why. So here we are...

It was the first time that I didn't feel a thing. Actually scrats that, I felt gross in a medical scene.

What I meant was that it was the first time that not even one character made me like her/him. Every last one of them were indifferent. So as the plot.
It was a wonderful -and unique- idea which didn't go well. I mean pirates mate! What more do I
Jenna
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-ya-circle, 2019
I’m really not sure what we’ve done to be blessed with so many pirate-y books in the past few years but I am LIVING for it!!

Viper definitely falls under the category of swashbuckling adventure and is full of characters you want to meet (and some you don’t), as well as places I know I at least want to visit!

There were a lot of threads left dangling at the end of this novel, but I’m super excited to find out where they lead!!

I did struggle with the timeline of this book though. Even after finishi
Simone
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every second of this. Such an epic adventure, with brilliant compelling characters and a swoonworthy star-crossed romance. Everything I look for in a book, basically. Love love love. Cant wait for the rest of the trilogy!
Sabrina
If the Maiden is my prison, then it is the ocean who is my gaoler.
A gritty new fantasy set on land and sea, this was an exciting read with a vibrant female protagonist and several surprising twists. (The cover is gorgeous as well! It was made using images from Shutterstock, and I'm actually. So. Impressed.) Marianne was a vividly written protaganist and I quickly got a feel for her personality, motivations and dilemmas. It only took a couple of pages for me to become solidly invested in Marian
Zaide
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Darkness has me in its unrelenting grip. Revenge is my mistress and I will be obedient.

This quote sums up everything I thought this book would be. Marianne is the daughter of the Viper, a fearless and merciless captain known for his brutality and unforgiving nature. And if she is going to succeed him and claim her birthright as the next Viper, she must kill him. I expected her to be fierce and fearless, I thought this would be a thrilling and brutal battle between the two. It was not. In fact,
Paperbacks
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, YA Fantasy covers are knocking it out of the park so far this year, Viper has colour and foiling and it's just wonderful. Whilst I read this as an Arc via Netgalley, I then received a copy in my Fairyloot box which was amazing as I absolutely loved this book and to have that cover in my grabby hands is awesome. Viper is the kind of book that grabs you with both hands from the opening lines and pulls you under the waves so you are totally immersed in the story. I knew immediately that th ...more
Kayleigh
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to finish this over the last couple of days but couldn't find the time.

Now I have finished it and I loved it. Bex Hogan has written a book full of action and adventure with characters you love and hate, giant sea monsters and everything in between, all set on the high seas.

I'm already looking forward to the next book! I can't wait to see what happens with Marriane and Torin and whether they can bring peace to the islands.
I also need to know if Marriane reclaims her heritage!
We
Christine Spoors
This was such a fun fantasy, following the daughter of a violent pirate in a world consisting of 12 islands. I wasn’t a huge fan of the main character for much of the book, but she did have moments and I enjoyed reading from her POV. The plot was easy to follow and read, I just didn’t find it very gripping which is what led to my 3 star rating. The ending was exciting, so I’ll just wait and see if I fancy picking up the second book when it is released!

Thank you to Orion & Team Bkmrk for the
Emily
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, the-ya-circle
RATING: 2.5/5 stars
This book was just okay for me. I liked the idea of story and world but something was lacking. Maybe the rest of the trilogy will be better. I am curious to see what others thought of it at bookclub next week.
Lauren
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as i realised this had a pirate theme I knew I was going to love it. Even though this is the first book in a trilogy it had an ending so this could be read as a standalone in my opinion. Saying that though I will be purchasing the next one in the series. I loved the different relationships between the characters and how they develope through the book. This was part of a book box that I receive and they didn't disappoint me with their choice!
Amy
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My blog: A Magical World Of Words

Source: Thank you so much to Pan Macmillan SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review. I voluntarily read & reviewed this copy. All thoughts are my own.

I am always up for a high sea adventure, and when I got this ARC from the amazing folk at Pan Macmillan, I couldn't wait to dive in (pun intended).

You know when an author's writing isn't amazing, but you don't care because you love the story so much? This is the case here. Hogan's writing is
Alisha Tarran
Ciphertext
3.5/5 stars, because I have really mixed feelings about this book for many reasons.

The book had a lot of things I really enjoy - pirates, badass female leads, arranged marriages. However, the writing style kind of let it down (lots of telling, as if we readers can't deduce these conclusions for ourselves, or as if we don't get the already obvious symbolism; also a lot of actions and stating of facts instead of getting into Marianne's head and emotions in any other way), and a lot of the content
Neelam
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent an eARC of this books from Hachette Children’s Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
When I saw the beautiful cover of this book it instantly attracted me and when I saw it was a pirate book, I was sold! And this book did not disappoint! I loved it so much and I’m really looking forward to the next book.

This book is fast paced, action packed and very brutal and bloody and right from the beginning we see how brutal Marianne’s father is and the type of people she has grow
Lauren Knapper
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is easily a 4.5 stars.
From the very first page, Viper had me hooked. I was immediately pulled into Marianne's perspective by Bex Hogan's captivating writing. Marianne is an easy protagonist to fall in love with and root for. She's struggling on board the Maiden, her ruthless father's ship that dominates the six isles. From the very beginning, even in subtle ways, Marianne is defiant against the life her father wishes for her. Her father, Captain Adler, is cruel and a terrifying character as
Shima
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book kind of feels like what would happen if you took a typical YA series and then condensed the whole story arc into one book, not by speeding up the pace, but by removing every character moment, emotional scene, world-building detail or original twists that would have made it even remotely interesting. What we end up with is a book in which a lot happens but nothing actually feels important.

Characters are introduced and killed within chapters, people are separated and reunited, identitie
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thankyou to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of Viper, in exchange for an honest review.

You know what I love? Pirate books that give you actual, bloodthirsty pirates. You know what this book gave me? EXACTLY THAT. Viper was exciting, horrifying and took absolute joy in ripping my heart out on several occasions.

Marianne has been raised on the deadliest pirate ship on the seas. Full of ruthless assassins, and her father, the most ruthless of them all. Known as the Viper, he drives f
Tika
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced reading copy of this book.

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.

She was born to protect the islands. But can she fight for them if it means losi
Tika
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.

Kalkunium
Look at that glorious cover. Look at it again.

My main issue with this was the lack of depth in the writing and characters, but other than that this was very much an enjoyable story.

I enjoyed the worldbuilding and the concepts and I will definitely be picking up the next ones, but the way things were so obvious or just explained straight out immediately sometimes made me feel like I was reading a book meant for people younger than me. But this might be more of a personal preference for that #dee
Nikki
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Viper!! It has such fantastic world building and I love the concept. Pirates and politics and mystical islands 😍

Marianne is a really interesting character - she loves her father but is also terrified of him, and is well aware she can’t trust anyone. I’d have loved to have known more about why she was scared of water though - as that played well throughout. I’m hoping it’s part of her history.

And I loved Torin and Grace, and even Bronn, though sometimes I just wanted to push him
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Isles of Storm and Sorrow (2 books)
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
“The man by my side is my opposite and my reflection. The dark to my light. The light to my dark. And everything in between.
But I'm not sure either of us could survive the heartbreak of being together yet being apart.
Love is not enough.”