Start by marking “At the Mountain's Edge” as Want to Read:
At the Mountain's Edge

At the Mountain's Edge

From bestselling author Genevieve Graham comes a sweeping new historical novel of love, tragedy, and redemption set during the height of the Klondike Gold Rush.

In 1897, the discovery of gold in the desolate reaches of the Yukon has the world abuzz with excitement, and thousands of prospectors swarm to the north seeking riches the likes of which have never been seen before.
Published April 2nd 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about At the Mountain's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Mountain's Edge

Norma * Traveling Sister
Emotional, vividly descriptive & affecting!

AT THE MOUNTAIN’S EDGE by GENEVIEVE GRAHAM is a fascinating, entertaining and wonderful historical fiction novel that totally hooked and captivated me. The setting and premise of this novel intrigued and entertained me, I was totally taken with this tale that is set during the height of the Klondike Gold Rush and it definitely gave me all the feels.

GENEVIEVE GRAHAM delivers an atmospheric, adventurous, engaging, and well-written read here that is t
Erin
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
5 Klondike golden stars for this historical fiction that takes readers from Vancouver to the training center of the North West Mounted Police to Dawson City and finally Frank, Alberta.

Disclaimer: Genevieve Graham is one of my favorite authors, I love all of her books, and I just love how she is making Canadian history come alive for readers today. Therefore, if you have been giving her books the slip, let me apply a tremendous amount of peer pressure to your TBR.

Not since Janette Oke's Th
Zoe
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative, fascinating, and emotive!

At the Mountain’s Edge is an engaging tale set in Northern Canada during the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s when the prospect of fame and immeasurable wealth had thousands navigating the treacherous Chilkoot Pass in hopes of reaching the prosperous and bustling Dawson City.

The prose is evocative and fluid. The characters are scarred, driven, and resilient. And the compelling, well-paced plot is an adventurous journey filled with familial drama, heartbr
Carolyn
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graham-genevieve
As with all of this author's books, the amount of detailed research behind the story was incredible and led such credence to the entire book. Learning the early history of what is today known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was fascinating. Couple that with the Klondike Gold Rush of the Yukon in north-western Canada that took place from 1896-1899 and it was mind blowing. What those unsuspecting people from all walks of life who caught the fever for gold experienced was almost beyond compreh ...more
Sophia
Klondike Gold Rush! I see that historic reference and it is all that is necessary to pique my interest. Pair a raw, frontier historical setting and this author's turbulent and triumphant characters and romance will always succeed in an engaging story.

At Mountain's Edge is mostly set in 1897 Yukon Territory and follows the separate lives of Northwest Mounted Policeman, Ben Turner, and sorrowing yet determined Liza Peterson. Their stories cross paths several times under difficult circumstances bef
Kelly
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the Mountain’s Edge, sponsored by:

MURPHY’S LAW

“Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.” *

*Law subject to change in accordance to protagonist, Liza Peterson’s life. A minimum of one serendipitous event must occur in Miss Peterson’s life after any incident of Murphy’s Law transpires.

This book, in one word, was exhausting. And, I get it. A book about the Klondike Gold Rush, and the excruciating journey that it took in order to reach Dawson City, is bound to be fraught with casualties, natural dis
Carolyn
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for an advanced digital copy of this book in return for an honest review. I was excited and pleased to receive this book. I seldom read historical romances, but last year read one of her three books set in Nova Scotia with a historical background. I found it such a great read I immediately purchased the other two and was riveted to their pages. The talented author, Genevieve Graham, focuses on interesting and tragic events in Canadian history
Karen
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Liza's life is turned upside down when her father declares that they're moving from Vancouver to the Yukon to capitalize on the gold rush. Ben, an aspiring Mountie, applies for a transfer from Alberta to the Yukon. Their paths ultimately cross in the wake of tragedy.

I love historical novels. I especially love historical Canadian novels. I have never read a book about the gold rush in the Yukon. I r
Lollita
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
Klondike adventure, a handsome Mountie and a dog need I say more 😉
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another wonderful book written by Genevieve Graham. I love her historical fiction as they not only educate but help put me into that era. Her characters are always strong and likeable. I enjoyed learning more about the Mounties and about the lifestyle and trials of the gold miners.
Elise
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Late 19th-century Canada, the Klondike Gold Rush has just begun in the Yukon. Ben Turner, a young man with a difficult past and a difficult-to-control to temper, has just become a Mountie and decides to go up to Dawson to bring some civilization to the gold-rusher city. Liza Peterson is a 19-year-old from Vancouver, when her father decides to pack up their store and move it to Dawson. They then embark on a months-long journey on snow-covered mountains towards an uncertain future. Which becomes e ...more
Carolyn McBride
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming book, full of action, angst, heartbreak and promise. It posed a different viewpoint on the gold rush, which I rather enjoyed. (Although I now look suspiciously at any sticks emerging from snowbanks) The characters were motivated, driven and well-drawn. It was quite obvious the author really enjoys her topic and did a lot of research. This is the kind of writing that makes for a wonderful bedtime read. It promises that things really will get better, and there can be new beginn ...more
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
At the Mountain's Edge was a gripping story. GGraham once again takes on a period of time in Canadian history but one that is linked to American history as well. While I knew of the Klondike Gold Rush, I'd never given much thought to the treacherous conditions faced by the miners and merchants in chasing their fortune. Having read GGraham's account here, I'm quite certain I'd not have had the mettle to survive. ;)

Liza Peterson's family set off to Dawson City in hopes of prospering by opening a
Krystal
Content Warnings for: Death of Family Members, Abuse, Murder, Drinking, Gambling, Violence

This book follows Ben Thompson and Liza Peterson as they navigate the new and often unforgiving world of the unsettled Northern Canadian Territories, during the gold rush. The book starts off by showing Liza's ridicule of her father's plan to sell everything, pack up and move to Dawson City in the Yukon. Her mother is extremely upset and distraught by the thought because she was already made to do this once
LibraryCin

It’s the late 1800s. Liza and her family live in Vancouver, but her father decides he wants to pack up and head north to Dawson City to set up his business there and cash in on the gold rush traffic. Liza and her brother are both adults, but the entire family sets off on this adventure. It’s cold and dangerous even just to get there, as they have to traverse the Chilkoot Trail.

Meanwhile, Ben, who had an abusive childhood, has been wanting to become a Mountie most of his life. He manag
Corey
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is set in the late 1890's and focuses on two people who are on their way to Dawson City during the Klondike Gold Rush: Liza and Ben.

Liza is the daughter of a merchant who has decided to uproot his family and store to Dawson City to capitalize on the gold rush by opening a store in Dawson City. Ben is an orphan who has just joined up with the Mounties and isn't sure that he'll be able to keep his temper in check as he heads towards Dawson City to his new post. On their way to Dawson C
Shawna
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Once again, Genevieve Graham has masterfully crafted an engaging story around a pivotal time in Canadian history.

At the Mountains Edge takes place in Dawson City, Yukon during the Klondike Gold Rush. Despite the perilous journey, Liza Peterson’s family has decided to take the risk and head to Dawson City to open a new shop.

Ben Miller has become a member of the North-West Mounted Police and has been assigned to various outposts along the journey to Dawson City. He is trying to make something of
Allyson
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for a review based on my honest opinion.

What can I say about this book, Genevieve Graham is a wonderful writer, she has a way of transporting you in time and making a different time feel so real, it was almost like reading diaries from a historical period. Her characters have such oomph, Liza was such a strong woman who didn’t know how strong she was until she had to conti
James Fisher
Ms. Graham has found a formula that works for her and she's sticking with it. Her long-time fans will not be disappointed, and new readers will be inspired to look into her back catalogue of bestsellers. At the Mountain's Edge is her best read yet, with thoroughly researched Canadian history serving as a perfect backdrop for her main characters' romance. Suitable for young adult readers, too.
Mandy
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Ms Graham brings Canadian history to life!
I was thrilled to see this book was about the Klondike gold rush, because I knew very little about it. Now I can vividly picture it. Must say, my younger self would have killed for these books!

It was very well-written, entertaining, even while tinged with sadness because duh, there was so much hardship. (view spoiler)
Robyn
Oh, but I loved this. What a great look into a very interesting time in Canadian history. I don't usually like books that have a lot of focus on grueling trek's through wilderness (mostly because I don't like overly descriptive books), but this was so full of adventure, bravery, mishap, and hope. I loved Dawson city and all it's riff raff. The mountie side of the story was interesting and I loved Ben's noble character. It mostly lost a star because I didn't like some parts of the romance at the ...more
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
WOW!! Genevieve Graham does it again!

The author really does her research when she writes and the books are always ones that I am hooked on her stories.

This book has action and angst. I very much loved Ben and Liza and some of the characters that are met along the way. This book made me smile and sad.

If you are into Historical Fiction I very much recommend this book.

This is one I know I will be reading again and again in the future.

I am giving this 5 out of 5.

A.M.G.
Rating: 4 / 5

For about 80%, this was great--the pacing, the characters, the vivid descriptions of the Yukon, everything! But then, in order to somehow wrap up with an "exciting" ending, the author reverts to using every manner of cliche in the book. And so, since I only enjoyed 80% of the book, I can only give it an 80% rating.

That being said, both of the protagonists, Ben and Liza, whom the author switches the P.O.V. of in every other chapter, are characters that I've seen before. He's the upri
Janet
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

From bestselling author, Genevieve Graham comes a sweeping new historical novel of love, tragedy, and redemption set during the height of the Klondike Gold Rush.

Reading in the Rockies
In theory, this is my type of book - historical fiction, set in the Yukon during the Klondike Gold Rush, and written by a Canadian author. However, it is also a romance - not my genre - and the synopsis paints a fairly accurate picture of what the reader can expect, right down to the writing style.

At the Mountain's Edge is a happily ever after story of luck and good fortune. Everything that can go wrong does, but is quickly followed by some serendipitous event.

Historical fiction is a stretch. T
Nicole (bookish.canuck)
Set against the background of the Klondike Gold Rush in the late 1890s At The Mountain’s Edge takes the reader deep into the desolate and treacherous reaches of the Yukon into the to world of gold prospectors, salons, guns and thievery!

When you Liza Peterson’s fathers unexpectedly decides to pack up his family and undertake the long and arduous journey to Dawson City in the hope to profiting off the booming population migrating there she has no idea what to expect. But she certainly wasn’t prepa
Lynda
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gold rush was on, a father's dream of opening a store in Dawson City with his family in tow, seemed like a manageable journey. However, fate had a way of changing even the best laid-out plans.

History came alive with the vivid details in “At the Mountain's Edge”. Every day living was froth with dangers and uncertainty. The writing established the intensity in every step of the way. It captured my interest and would not let go. I was amazed by the depth of the writing, providing a full eye-op
Marie
Think Canadian history is boring? Genevieve Graham is determined to prove you wrong, one book at a time. At the Mountain’s Edge is the third book of Genevieve’s I’ve read, and I’ve learned fascinating things about parts of Canada’s history, like the Halifax Explosion of 1917, the Acadian Expulsion in the 1700s (part of my own family’s history), and now the Klondike Gold Rush in the late 1800s.

Graham’s ability to weave real history with fictional characters is incredible. I felt like I was right
Darlene L.
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liza Peterson and her family embark on an exciting voyage from Vancouver to Dawson City, Yukon to get in on the gold rush. However, tragedy strikes around every corner. Constable Ben Turner of the RCMP is stationed in the Yukon and has to patrol the heightened excitement of everyone wanting to get gold. They are thrust together with circumstance. Will they find love?

This is the first book I've read by Genevieve Graham and I have to say...I enjoyed this book! The story kept me turning the pages a
Rita
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc of Genevieve Graham's At The Mountain's Edge from
Simon and Schuster. A wonderful read about our country's history.
A family decides to move to the Yukon to get in on the gold Rush by opening a store.
A young man joins the NWMP and is sent up north to uphold the law.
On the the journey, there are many hardships but the family continues on. Eventually, the mountie and the daughter cross paths.
The description of all the events makes one feel as if they are on the journey with the ch
« previous 1 3 next »

• Casanova's Secret Wife
  • We All Fall Down
  • The Gravesavers
  • Road Signs That Say West
  • Alpha's Promise (Dark Protectors #10)
  • The Quick and the Undead
  • Dragon Unleashed (The Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Looking for Captain Poldark
  • The Lair of the White Fox (Sister Fidelma, #0.5)
  • Hard Rock Muse (Cherry Lips #3)
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • To Catch a Falling Star (The Graham Saga, #8)
  • Hidden Lives