Start by marking “Ace of Spades” as Want to Read:
Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  17,401 ratings  ·  4,591 reviews
An incendiary and utterly compelling thriller with a shocking twist that delves deep into the heart of institutionalized racism, from an exceptional new YA voice.

Welcome to Niveus Private Academy, where money paves the hallways, and the students are never less than perfect. Until now. Because anonymous texter, Aces, is bringing two students' dark secrets to light.

Talente
Published June 10th 2021 by Usborne (first published June 1st 2021)

·  17,401 ratings  ·  4,591 reviews

Start your review of Ace of Spades
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Biased review - but I can 100% confirm that the author worked really hard on this!
chai ♡
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) did someone say Get Out meets Gossip Girl but make it Black and queer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Alice Oseman
I could not put this book down! Sex, lies, and fighting back against racism - this book is a wild ride, with an incredibly powerful message. A heart-racing and twisty thriller that grapples so much more than a simple mystery; ACE OF SPADES explores being both queer and Black, and the sinister, destructive nature of white supremacy and racism.
daph pink ♡
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ace of spades was interesting, to say the least. I usually don't read synopsis so I was completely unprepared for what was going to come. I am in awe of this book, and it is one of the most phenomenal debuts that I have ever read.
🃏Plot

[...]"The world isn’t ideal. This world, our world, the one with houses as crooked as the people in them. Broken people, broken by the way the world works.”[...]

Two Black teens become the targets of an anonymous texter and they must work together to take the
myo (myonna reads)
the bar has been set and it’s extremely high now. this is all i ever wanted, dark academia that deals with racism mixed with a badass female lead. loved this book and i cant wait to see what the author does with her next book!
literarylesbian
Jul 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PLEASE CHECK CWS ONLINE IF YOU WANT TO READ!!!

This book left me speechless and literally pulling my hair out.
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss

maybe the best debut i've ever read. this is going to make so many people's best of 2021 list. full review to come. <3

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Maëlys & Lea! ❤
Nicole
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it

So to sum it up I know why people will love this book. Great rep, fun characters, and a suspenseful read. However, I did not like the plot twist. So yeah, please don't hate.

In the Niveus academy, everyone reeks of money. It’s simply a school for rich white kids. But that was mostly okay for scholarship student Devon and the perfectionist Chiamaka. They’re black but that never got them any particular attention. Until everyone in school starts receiving messages of Devon’s private photos
emma
This review is for: everyone.

I assume that everyone wants to read a book that is like the young adult book equivalent of Get Out meets Gossip Girl, with unlikely friendship and TWO gay relationships and mystery and solving and a tiny hint of dark academia.

So this is to tell everyone that you're right. This is good, and you do want to read it.

Enough said.

Bottom line: Things may not be as they seem IN this book, but they are as they seem about them!

-------------
pre-review

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Chelsea Humphrey
"Hello Niveus High. It's me. Who am I? That's not important. All you need to know is... I'm here to divide and conquer. Like all great tyrants do. -Aces"

Binge-worthy. Timely. Thought provoking. These are all phrases that come to mind when I look back at this story. I've been salivating over the teasers and early reviews of Ace of Spades, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my most anticipated release of 2021. A YA mystery with shades of Gossip Girl and Get Out? Yes, please! I'm pleased to repor
Gabby
This was so good 🤯 The comparison to Get Out and Gossip Girl are 100% accurate! I will admit the first 200 pages were kind of slow and read reaaaally young adult to me, but the ending was wild and so intense and worth it!

Reading vlog where I read it: https://youtu.be/yrJOxTbNPd4
Bookishrealm
FUCKING PERFECTION! If you haven't read this book yet you're doing a disservice to yourself. If ya'll think that this won't end up on my 2021 top books of the year you're losing your mind!

Ace of Spades is what I look for in thrillers. It's engaging, it's creepy, it screws with your mind, and when the big reveal comes your jaw hits the floor. This book definitely has vibes that can be closely related to Get Out, Gossip Girl, and Pretty Little Liars, but my oh my it's so much more. The story itsel
katie ❀
Sometimes, you need a soft, fluffy rom-com to cheer you up. And sometimes, you need a dark, twisty thriller to scare the crap out of you. This was one of the latter.

Ace of Spades follows Chiamaka and Devon, the only Black students who attend the prestigious Niveus Private Academy. But after both are nominated as prefects, their paths begin to tangle as an anonymous force known as Aces makes themself present, bent on not only destroying their senior year, but also on ruining any chance at a futur
Gavin
Aug 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
I was starting to think that I was growing out of young adult books but then Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé went 'no you fucking don't get back here' and I was saved. ...more
may ➹

there’s no better dark academia than dark academia with qpoc challenging racist institutions!

(this was excellent and as usual I was terrible at guessing things, rtc)

// buddy read with 😖
theresa
I can quite honestly say that Ace of Spades blew my mind. I went into this book with high expectations after seeing so many people rave about it and somehow it still managed to exceed them. Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé has crafted a truly unputdownable thriller that expertly builds and draws out tension all while exploring institutionalised racism and the power found in fighting back.

I don’t often read thrillers but if they were all as brilliantly written as Ace of Spades I don’t think I could ever put
Aiden Thomas
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé is an absolute artist of crafting tension and suspense. ACE OF SPADES will leave readers tearing through chapters, desperate to see what happens next. Packed with killer twists that gave me goosebumps, ACES OF SPADES is a phenomenal debut here to knock you off your feet and send your heart racing.
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Gossip Girl meets Get Out is actually the perfect way of describing ACE OF SPADES. This YA book fulfilled the dark academia itch that I've been suffering ever since I read THE SECRET HISTORY and craved more stories set in exclusive schools built on secrets, treachery, and lies. The two narrators of this book are Chiamaka and Devon. Chiamaka is biracial and super rich, but she still feels like she's never going to be enough unless she pus
☆Pelumi☆ (On major hiatus)
OUT OF FIVE
ACTUAL RATING: Infinity stars*
PLOT: 5
CHARACTERS: 4
MYSTERY: 5
WRITING: 4.5
TWIST:5

People be like "There's no perfect book" and all I'm thinking is, have you met Ace of Spades yet.

First of all, I just want to say WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
The bar for all YA books have been raised so high, at this point not even SJM stands a chance. I
Peyton Reads
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I love in a book wrapped up in one and so many important messages as well!
Rae
Jun 25, 2021 rated it really liked it

This was an evocative and stunning debut from Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé, and is definitely deserving of all the hype it’s getting.

Ace of Spades is a mystery YA thriller following two separate perspectives- social outcast Devon and popular Chiamaka, who both have nothing in common until they both suddenly become prey to Aces. The book is eloquently written, every word strung in a way to grab your a
Lauren Lanz
Ace of Spades made me want to bolt my chair to the ground so I couldn't fall out of it. So much suspense from the get-go! This dark and adrenaline-filled thriller tackles several hard-hitting themes that left me reeling; Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé does a masterful job portraying the struggles of black students trying to succeed in a system that only seems to work against them.

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Chiamaka Adebayo and Devon Richards are polar opposites; she’s popular and wealthy, he ha
mwana
This world isn't ideal.
This world, our world, the one with houses as crooked as the people in them. Broken people, broken by the way the world works. No jobs, no money; sell drugs, get money. That's what this world is, that's how it works.
This book was WILD. I almost stayed up all night to do that but as a burgeoning old woman, I lost the battle to sleep.

The story starts with Devon, a music prodigy and Chiamaka, head girl and queen bitch. The only two black students at Niveus Priva
Maëlys
☆ 5 / 5 ☆

“The world isn’t ideal. This world, our world, the one with houses as crooked as the people in them. Broken people, broken by the way the world works.”

This book left me stunned and speechless, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up as my favourite debut of 2021.

Chiamaka and Devon are the only two Black students attending Niveus Private Academy but their paths couldn’t be more different. Chiamaka loves the sciences, she’s climbed up to the top of the social ladder, and designer cl
C.G. Drews
So everyone has been raving about this book and I knew it'd be excellent, but STILL--I was not prepared!! I literally just finished and I am in that exhausted post-incredible-novel haze where I'm still absorbing all the twists and betrayals and cruelties that Devon and Chiamaka went through. Easy 5 stars 😩👌🏻 This is so darkly compelling and exceptionally well written.

I really really don't want to give too much away, because I think the less you know about the plot, the harder the twists hit. So!
Monte Price
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, arc
I'm going to publish a full review closer to the actual release date... but you need to have this book on your list of things to preorder. The game has been changed, the bar has been raised, Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé is coming for the girlies.

It took me far longer to publish my full thoughts, but here they are from a yearish ago when I actually finished the book.

While I was given an arc of this, as always the thoughts to follow are all mine.

I just need you to know that this is hands down required re
Joanna Chu (The ChuseyReader)
Rating: 2 or 2.5.

Thank you to Medha for buddy reading this with me :).

What I enjoyed:

This is my first time seeing a mystery-thriller that deeply explores the themes of institutional racism and with a great representation of LGBT characters. In an article Àbíké-Íyímídé mentioned:

“I think a lot of these institutions, whether it's university or a high school, they often are prestige because they have a history that is rooted in a kind of subjugation of Black people”

Perhaps I live under a rock bu
Ms. Woc Reader
Ace of Spades had good ideas but fell flat with the execution. The story follows Devon and Chiamaka as they head into senior year as Niveus Private Academy where they are selected as head boy and girl. Soon after they start receiving threats from a mysterious entity called Aces.

Niveus Private Academy is described as an amalgam of British and American private school traditions and I understand the author wanted to appeal to an American audience but the story should've just been set in the UK. Not
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Read my full review on my book blog, The Quiet Pond.

This was AMAZING. I was utterly shook by the end and just kinda leaned back against my chair, staring at the ceiling wide-eyed, but wow. wow. wow! A phenomenal, nail-gnawing, and terrifying story about elitism, secrets, and racism.

- Follows Nigerian-Italian teen Chiamaka, head girl, popular, and unapologetic in what she will do to stay in power, and Devon, a Black American teen and talented musician who just wants to keep his head down and get
Medha(Ideas are bulletproof)
Thank you to Joanna for buddy reading this with me :)!
2.5 stars.

Okay so I had really high expectations for this book, considering all the hype and positive feedback from numerous readers, but alarmingly this book disappointed me :/ I found myself reading the same sentence over and over again because I was extremely bored (if you plan on reading this book before going to bed then trust me when I say this, y

• The Sprite and the Gardener
  • Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Your Destination Is on the Left
  • Ready Player Two (Ready Player One, #2)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Crown of Blood: The Deadly Inheritance of Lady Jane Grey
  • Mr Stoker & I
  • All Our Hidden Gifts (All Our Hidden Gifts, #1)
  • The Last Tudor (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #14)
  • The Puppetmaster’s Apprentice
  • Be Prepared
  • Mindy Kim and the Yummy Seaweed Business (Mindy Kim, #1)
  • Mindy Kim and the Lunar New Year Parade (Mindy Kim, #2)
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • She's the Worst
  • Reverie
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle #1)
See top shelves…
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé is the instant New York Times and IndieBound bestselling author of ACE OF SPADES. She is an avid tea drinker, a collector of strange mugs and a recent graduate from a university in the Scottish Highlands where she studied English Literature. When she isn’t spinning dark tales, Faridah can be found examining the deeper meanings in Disney channel original movies. She is represe ...more

Articles featuring this book

It's the season of sharpened pencils, syllabi, and…maybe a few murders here and there? That's right: Dark academia is all the rage when it...
“I stop myself from apologizing-because what would I even be sorry for? Existing too loud?” 30 likes
“Growing up, I realized quite quickly that people hate being called racist more than they hate racism itself.” 16 likes