Start by marking “Those People” as Want to Read:
Those People

Those People

From the author of the international bestseller Our House, a new novel of twisty domestic suspense asks, “Could you hate your neighbor enough to plot to kill him?”

Lowland Way is the suburban dream. The houses are beautiful, the neighbors get along, and the kids play together on weekends.

But when Darren and Jodie move into the house on the corner, they donʼt follow the ru
Published June 11th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Those People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those People

Holly  B
Ever had some dreadful neighbors? This couple just moved in and have disrupted the happy neighbors on Lowland Way...

When Darren and Jodie move in....all hell breaks lose. Can you hear the whispers...."I could kill him." Well, of course, they didn't mean it literally, did they?

The pages are filled with some very unlikable characters and a menacing tone. The new neighbors completely put the prior  "family-friendly" atmosphere and turned it on it's head.

The mystery element was strong and I was su
Felicia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The development of the plot of this book unfolds at the breakneck pace of O.J.'s Bronco chase on the LA 405 freeway, only it's not nearly as entertaining.

I always keep notes as I'm reading a book...quotes, pivotal moments, etc. I only had one note on this book upon completion and that was...

page 113

...that's how long it took for something of the most miniscule bit of interesting to happen in this book, and even that something was so cursory I nearly drowned in it's wake.

The best descriptive word
Carol
3.5 Stars.

THOSE PEOPLE.....WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

If you prefer flawed, unlikable characters, you've come to the right place.

The setting is south London on an exclusive street with homes averaging in the high six figures and neighbors who follow the rules of the council and politics of the people.....until Darren Booth & company move in.

Disruption is immediate as ear-piercing music blares....the used car business of junk-mobiles makes its appearance, and umpteen unfinished home renovations res

j e w e l s
TWO STARS

Evidently I'm not a good fit for this author. She writes with a curious detachment that makes me feel so unsympathetic to the characters and bored with the story. I felt this way with her previous novel Our House, except there were some elements of that plot I found interesting.

Ugggghhh. I can't say I found this plot anything but DULL. THOSE PEOPLE moves at a glacial pace and I just can't be bothered to even relate much to you in a review.

If you are a big Louise Candlish fan, then I'm
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
It’s the type of block that everyone wants to live on.... When you live on Lowland Way, you’re one of the privileged few who are protected from the outside by your closely bonded neighborhood association. Until one day, new neighbors move in, and they don’t play by the same rules…

Those People is the 4th book by Louise Candlish that I’ve read and I love that she has such a unique style, voice, and feel to her books that is so quintessentially Candlish. I’d describe her books as neighborhood noir—
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Double float for double releases today because I do what I want and I don’t give out many 5 Stars.

Those People is the story of what happens when a picture perfect neighborhood like this . . . .

Is infiltrated by new people who have inherited one of the houses that happen to be a little more like this . . . .

What are the established residents to do????

“We’ve said we’ll give it till the end of the month and then . . . “

“And then what
Jayme
Darren and Jodie are the new neighbors on Lowland Way, and they DON’T FIT IN.

“Inconsiderate” would be an understatement.

In just 8 weeks, Darren will be dead. (Not a spoiler, you learn that on page 1)

Could one of his neighbors have been angry enough to murder him?

Great premise, but the execution was not working for me. The story was not holding my attention, and I was wishing I could read faster, so I could move on to my next book.

Finally, I just skimmed to the end, to find out who was “guil
JuJu (Julie)
After reading this book, I can’t complain about any of the bad neighbors I’ve had!

One bad neighbor can disrupt an entire street, turning previously happy neighbors spiteful and vicious. I liked the author’s writing style, but not her final wrap up of this story. Which is frustrating, because I was really enjoying the book until the end. I’m not sure if it was her intention to leave an opening for a follow-up book, but the ending ruined this book for me. I do “Our House”, so I’ll probably give he
megs_bookrack
Thank you, Berkley Books! ARC received...

More drama in the neighborhood provided by Louise Candlish?
Yes, PLEASE!!!

Kathi Defranc
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing story that has you thinking of your own neighborhood and what your neighbors Really think about you..and you about Them!! Full review to come!!
Liz Barnsley
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those People is typical Louise Candlish brilliant, a tale of toxic neighbours, one street brought down by one set of rather unlikable characters- but in this authors true style sometimes it's the supposed good guys whose smug attitude will make you crazy.

When Darren and Jodie move into a house on a previously united and peaceful road and promptly start a building project, a car sales lot and play their music at high levels pretty much 24 hours a day, their neighbours despair. But underneath the
Heidi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy moly, what a hell of a ride this book was! I really enjoyed the fictional neighbourhood Candlish conjured up in her last novel OUR HOUSE, but she has taken it one step further this time and really ratcheted up the tension here.

“Those people” is a term that refers to Darren and Jodie, the new hellish neighbours in No 1 Lowland Way. We have made an effort, the other residents will say. But to be honest, they never even tried to fit in, did they? Rude Darren with his loud music and junk cars l
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

FULL REVIEW WILL BE ON JUNE 11.

A coveted neighborhood, new neighbors who are trouble, and a terrible accident is where we meet everyone who lives on Lowland Way.

We meet the original neighbors and the new ones who are reeking havoc in this posh neighborhood.

There was a lot of drama going on before the new neighbors arrived and even more now.

If you enjoy a slow, drawn out mystery, you will want to add THOSE PEOPLE to your TBR. 4/5

This book was given to me as an ARC in exchange for an honest review
Erin Clemence
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, first-reads

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Lowland Way is the Street of Dreams. Home owners keep their properties tidy, they always lend a helping hand when a neighbour is in need and they even cordon off their street on Sundays so the neighbourhood children can play unencumbered. However, when Darren and Jodie movie into the unit at Number 1, things immediately turn sour. They seemingly have no
Betty
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon.
Book of Secrets
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lowland Way is the perfect neighborhood in every way. Family-oriented, quiet, upscale, beautiful homes and gardens. Perfect, that is, until those people move in and ruin everything.

Darren and Jodie simply aren't Lowland Way material. Their used car lot in the front yard, loud music at all hours, and endless remodeling have enraged the residents on the street. They make sure Darren and Jodie know they're not welcome, but what will it take to reclaim their perfect neighborhood?

THOSE PEOPLE was an
Mary
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written, dark and twisty story, filled with interesting characters, sub plots and a really unpredictable ending. It had me guessing right up to the end. Highly recommended! Thank you NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC. I’ll be looking for more from this author!
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
I loved Louise Candlish's domestic suspense novel Our House last summer with its dark humor, inventive premise, and jaw-dropping ending, so I was thrilled to receive a copy of her latest disturbing domestic suspense novel, Those People for review!

It's was a seemingly normal Saturday morning in Lowland Way, the upscale London neighborhood where the novel takes place, until tragedy strikes. An unknown character has been killed in a horrific disaster, and through police interviews and chapters told
gem
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably between 2.5 and 3 stars.
I liked the idea of the story and I liked the authors writing, but I expected a bit more drama.
There were two main “dramatic” things that happened and yet even they didn’t really seem to create that much excitement.
I feel like this trend of domestic suspense novels is very much a good starting point into the crime genre, but I think personally I just want a bit more action!
I’d definitely read further books by this author though as I liked the way it was written
Kelley
ARC received courtesy of Berkley Publishing

I think that most everyone has had a neighbor at one time or another that they couldn't get along with. A neighbor who didn't or wouldn't fit into the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods become small universes unto themselves and that's what Lowland Way is in this novel. The question is always how will you handle the new neighbors who don't fit in?

In "Those People", Louise Candlish writes terrifically about what happened on the fictional street of Lowland
Debra
Neighbors...Aren't they the worst? Imagine living next to "Those People” You know the ones who break down walls, don't follow the rules, park where they want, play loud music, etc. They suck, right? But what about the neighbors who think it is their job to police the neighborhood and make it their mission to make their unruly neighbors fall in line.

This was slow all the way through for me. Yes, it looks at behavior and social class. First impressions go a long way and the neighbors in this book
Jypsy
May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Those People is an interesting story about neighborhood dynamics. Do you like your neighbors? Imagine a little community/neighborhood who get along fairly well and like each other most of the time. Now, throw a new neighbor into the mix. This one is not liked by the community. As in, "I despise those people who live down the street." Would you make a conscientious effort, with your neighbors, to oust these undesirables? Would you just try to ignore it, and let it be? This is a complex story that ...more
Dennis
The pacing is too slow for my liking. If you want a slower paced light mystery/thriller, you may enjoy it!
Rissa
Those people 3.5⭐
Starting off strong with a murder and an alibi but going back 8 weeks can either make or break a mystery...

Each chapter and each character gets to say their peace about the house and the murder making everyone the perfect suspect.
As the police investigation goes on and we see what those neighbors did to cause all this discomfort in the neighborhood we see why maybe someone might have wanted them gone.
I enjoyed the characters and the writing but I wanted the story to move fast
Jillian
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I think everyone can relate to having terrible neighbors and having them cause problems.

Unfortunately for me, this book just dragged on and on. By 75% I had a hard time continuing to read it.

Thanks to Netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
Shalini
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book just pulled me in with its story. It gave me nightmares just to imagine how the neighborhood would be if the newly moved couple were difficult to deal with. The peace was shattered.

The book was cleverly written by author Louise Candlish, and there were twists galore, things were not as it appeared. The writing was so smooth that the chapters just rushed by. The reveals had me holding my breath...

A brilliant book. I loved it in most parts
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advance copy of this title in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed Louise Candlish's previous book, Our House, so I was looking forward to reading this. The mystery begins in the middle of the story and leads you toward the answers with the 8 weeks before, 6 weeks before, etc., headers. I was intrigued at this point, but you get to the "present" about halfway through the book and then it's unclear where it's going from there. I found the
Janet
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

From the author of the international bestseller Our House, a new novel of twisty domestic suspense asks, “Could you hate your neighbour enough to plot to kill him?”

Lowland Way is the suburban dream. The houses are beautiful, the neighbours get along, and the kids play together on weekends.
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Getting along with your neighbors can be exasperating, but the author pushes it to the point where it becomes unbelievable to me.
Most "good neighborhoods" have tons of regulations and limitations on noise, how to update your house, what to keep on your property and zoning laws on whether you can run a business from your home. I just found it hard to imagine that their neighborhood hardly had any enforceable rules, but it did make for an entertaining read.
As a reader, I felt more sympathetic to T
Stephanie
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Those People started off very strong for me, but lost a little of it’s steam along the way. However, it was still a highly entertaining story that I enjoyed.

Who hasn’t had a horrible neighbor? As a long time renter, I’m used to sharing walls and ceilings and though I do get frequently frustrated, I have a pretty high tolerance for other people’s noise. There has only been one neighbor that was so awful I complained to ma
Aussie Readers: S&S Australia ARC May Giveaways - closes 31st May! 13 55 Jun 11, 2019 01:57AM
'A superb thriller' Washington Post on OUR HOUSE

Hello! I'm the author of thirteen novels, including OUR HOUSE, a #1 bestseller in paperback, ebook and audio and winner of the British Book Awards 2019 Book of the Year - Crime & Thriller! My newest release is THOSE PEOPLE, which is in the same 'suburban noir' genre (I love that label!)

Before writing fiction, I studied English at University Colle