Start by marking “The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)

The Beast of Talesend

(Beaumont and Beasley #1)

This is an alternate cover edition of ASINB01NBVJF02.

Fairy tales aren’t real. Private detective Nick Beasley knows that. This is 1922 E.A. (Ever After), an age of big cities, automobiles, and airships. Nobody in the Afterlands believes in magic and monsters anymore. Especially not Nick, who’s made a name for himself in the city of Talesend by debunking fraudulent “magical
Kindle Edition
Published January 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Talesend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Talesend

Start your review of The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)
Kyle
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a pleasant surprise. It's exactly the sort of story I've been searching for. Crisp dialogue, action-packed plot, laugh-out-loud humor, and a fresh take on classic fairy tales. I can't wait to find out what happens in Book 2; I'm sure it will be very exciting.

DISCLAIMER: I am personally acquainted with the author, though I wouldn't describe us as close friends. We say hello when we meet; that's about it. He's always struck me as a rather likable fellow, but I know very little a
Deborah O'Carroll
Re-read September 2018

Still awesome and hilarious and my favorite. XD

Re-read (listened to the audiobook) September 2017

Read my audiobook review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Original Review, May 2017

Beauty and the Beast + 1920s detective story + alternate history where all the fairytales were, well... actual history + snark + humor + lovable and entirely unconventional characters = The Beast of Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz, a.k.a. The Book You Need To Read Right Now.

Not convinced? L
Kate Willis
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I opened this book. The C.S. Lewis quote was definitely a good sign. Follow that up with a fantastic blend of Sherlock Holmes and fairytales, Doctor Who-esque rash decisions (that somehow half worked out), and downright perfect humor, and it was a winner. (Please don’t let me comparing it to many other things fool you--this book is really unlike anything else.)

I loved the setting, and Nick’s general outlook/personality. He and Crispin were hilarious, and I laugh
Laura Grace
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FAN-MADE BOOK TRAILER HERE: https://youtu.be/EI8jT-eo_Ts

(In advance, I apologize for the strong overuse of exclamation marks. Tis a fangirl's favorite punctuation mark.)

Oh. My. Goodness! What an incredibly fun and great book!

I loved Nick right from the beginning and my fondness for him only grows as the story progresses. He was such the gentleman, even as a monster! I greatly can't wait to see where his story will go and as he learns more about the world of magic. (That one scene though! Gave me
Hazel West
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Review coming soon!
Nate Philbrick
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review time!

In a nutshell: The Beast of Talesend had me smiling from cover to cover. Normally I don't like retellings because (in my personal opinion) I think they lack novelty. Kind of like eating stir-fried leftovers. HOWEVER, that is NOT the case with this book. I kept forgetting it was a retelling at all. It's not a long read, but Kyle Shultz manages to pack so much fun in the pages, it's really astounding. It had some Artemis Fowl vibes as well, which is always a plus.

What I wasn't s
Christine Smith
The Beast of Talesend is book #1 in the Beaumont and Beasley series and is, essentially, a Beauty and the Beast retelling…sorta.

Imagine a 1920s detective-story and then set it in a world where fairytales aren’t just stories…they’re the world’s history. Add a heaping cup of humor, loveable (and hilarious) characters, magic, and a downright fun ride of a plot, and you’ve got yourself this book.

Yeah. Everyone needs to read it.

It’s written in first person, which isn’t always my favorite but I honest
Deborah O'Carroll
AUDIOBOOK REVIEW

(Review originally posted here: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)

I have flailed elsewhere (see link at end) about how much I love this book, and this time I’m here to talk about the absolutely delightful audiobook version.

I remember thinking, when I heard about the audio version, that The Beast of Talesend would make a positively fantastic audiobook. Add to that a British narrator and the levels of fantastic go through the roof. Fast-forward to my ecstatic reaction when t
m a r y l i z
This was a rather fun read...buuuuut I'm a little conflicted as to how I feel about it.

Here's the thing: I was expecting to adore it. The first chapter was my favorite thing ever, and it gave me high hopes for the rest of the story. Not to mention the fact that some close friends of mine recently read and loved it. AND THERE WAS SNARK SO IT HAD TO BE AWESOME, RIGHT??

*pauses*

- The snark. OH YES MY FRIENDS. The snark was r
R.J. Rodda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
A quick but enjoyable read.

Merged review:

4.5

This is a very fun read, full of fairy-tale craziness. Poor Nick discovers everything he’s believed about that world is wrong. Loved the reference to ‘The Dragon Delusion’ and holding my thumbs in the hope that Reginald is more than a frog!!!
Tricia Mingerink
This book is amazing! I'd seen the book mentioned by people I follow on both Goodreads and Twitter, so it was on my TBR list.

I should've read it sooner than I did. Really. Like go out and buy it this minute. It is written with the same sort of witty, wry, laugh out loud humor of the Percy Jackson series or My Lady Jane. So many great off-hand remarks. Times when the characters didn't respond to situations in the cliched manner, but with a totally unexpected remark. I couldn't stop laughing thro
Claire Banschbach
Really loved this story! It's not long and I pretty much read it one setting. Worth checking out for the chapter titles alone. :)

Characters - all great. Cordelia is a nut case with a touch of sanity and I loved her. Nick tries to be a hardboiled detective, but isn't really. The villains were appropriately dramatic and monstrous. They all combined for a really fun cast in which you like everyone, even the villains.

The dialogue was snappy and fun and had me laughing out loud for a good portion.
Grace Crandall
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*falls backwards*
*stares happily at the ceiling*
Well. THAT was glorious.

I loved how FUN this story was. It wasn't only fun; there was meat and substance to it, too, but--it was also fun. Fun-ness is a virtue that a lot of stories seem to forget, it seems; but not this one.

Years after all the fairy tales have ended, the world still turns on, growing and changing, filling up with cars and zeppelins. Magic seems, at best, like a half-forgotten memory; at worst, an invention and a myth.

Nick Beasl
Sarah Cnossen
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I could simply gush and gush and GUSH about how much I enjoyed this little novel. Seriously. I could go on and on, my friends. It was such a fun read, I promptly passed it on to my husband -- who read it in less than two days -- and then on to my brother-in-law. Needless to say, the Hubs loved it! and it will definitely circulate the fam, I can tell you that. A huge shout out to the author, Kyle Robert Schultz, for his amazing debut!!

The plot is so unique and creative. The story-world is amazing
Lila Kims

Delightful romp of all delightful romps! XD

...with just the right touch of emotional. 😭
C.B. Cook
I'm not a huge fan of books heavy in magic, but this one was great! The storyline was very interesting with great plot twists, and the characters were so well developed. They also had great arcs throughout the story, especially Nick.

The world was also built really well. Magic was included in a really interesting way without making the world seem unrealistic, and I think the rules helped with that.

Overall, awesome story! I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
Hannah Heath
Well. That was fun. I loved the sense of humor and the fresh, imaginative (very loose) re-writing of a classic fairytale. In fact, I've never really liked the original fairytale, so this story gave me a version I can actually enjoy. =D The characters were all good on their own, but when together the dynamics were even more excellent. My only complaint was that I never felt any of the characters were in danger, so even though the stakes were technically fairly high, I never felt like they were. B ...more
J.E.
Apr 28, 2020 added it
This was actually my second time reading, with the use of a audio book. Brilliant work. More later.
Allyson
A few weeks back, I noticed a couple Kindle books by Kyle Robert Shultz were having a free day. I decided to download them solely because Shultz is a fellow indie author. I didn't realize the books in his Beaumont and Beasley series are fairytale retellings until I started reading, and I'm happy to say that the first installment is a Beauty and the Beast retelling I won't soon forget!

Highlights

Characters
BY FAR my favorite character was Crispin, our main character's hilarious younger brother.
Merie Shen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
f you're a lover or fairytales, like me, you'll enjoy this book. But if you like a snarky magic skeptic as a narrator, detective stories with a fun new twist, fantastically whimsical characters, and epilogues that will make your mind go BAM, then read this book.

(That epilogue though. It was a stroke of pure genius.)
Susnnah Metzler
Wow. I LOVED this book. Such a fun read. New fandom.
I LOVED the characters. Nick is an awesome, sarcastic, witty skeptic of magic, and this is the story of how his life literally gets turned upside down as he discovers that magic is indeed very real. Cordelia was a great character also, a Charmblood who is trying to save her father from the corruption of the evil Rose: the main villain in the story.
I loved how a lot of the traditional fairy tales came into play to set up the story and the plot.
Bethany Kellam
A sarcastic narrator, a unique twist on classic fairytales, and hysterical interactions between the MCs?

Yes, this is definitely one of my favorite books.

EDIT: Third time around and I've finally gotten one of my siblings hooked. Sure he despises Cordelia and wishes she actually died (sorry not sorry for spoilers). AND he rants to me about her every chance he gets.

However, this is one of the rare books he actually wants to read by himself. I will always appreciate that, because it's this crazy b
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 5/26/18: Still awesome. This is also now officially on my list of Books That Make Everything Better.

Steampunk + Fairy Tales = Awesome

This is wonderful and hilarious and generally awesome. It's not exactly a mystery, even though the main character is a detective, but the book is so good that that's not really an issue. I love the world (yay, steampunkery and fairy tales!), the unique take on some classic fairy tales, the character interactions, everything. The only disappointing thing was
Mary Emma Sivils
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Beast of Talesend quickly won me over, thanks to its quirky characters and a little tongue-in-cheek humor. I usually gravitate towards books with a lot of depth, but a story with a lighter tone was exactly what I needed right now. That's not to say this magical adventure was completely shallow. There was some character development and enough hints thrown into the plot to make me think there'll be more intriguing things to come.
Yes, I'll be reading book 2. I have to find out what's next for B
Allison
/ 3.5 stars

this novella was cute and adorable and hilarious. also snarky. <3 the characters are amazing (Nick is my favorite), and the premise was really unique and cool (an alternate world where fairy tales are actual history << SO COOL).

but, idk, a couple parts fell a little flat? and i was confused about the magic and the Rose. idk. also it was really short. i am definitely going to finish this series, and i can't wait to see what happens next. ;)
Tess
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
UPDATE 11/4/18: This book and Horseman by Kyle Robert Shultz are free for a limited time on Amazon! Go grab them!

I did not expect this to my new all-time favorite retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I'd read some reviews. Thought, "Oh, that sounds cool!" added it to my TBR and promptly forgot about it like all the rest of the books on that ever-growing list.
And then that magical thing happened, where I had a little bit of money spare from a gift card and I rummaged around that list and saw this
D.J. Edwardson
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such an enjoyable romp. Infused with laughing gas, rose scented perfume, and the smell of bubble gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe. It's a mystery, a comedy, and a fantasy all rolled into one. There is so much to like in this Beauty and the Beast re-telling, it's hard to know where to start.

The plot follows the well-established detective and "magical" debunker Nick Beasley as he seeks to crush the hopes of wishful thinking people everywhere. There is no such thing as magic. Period.
Catherine
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had seen many people say that this book was a fantastic read, written by a thoroughly enjoyable author. It turns out, they were all absolutely correct.
I was captivated from page 1 as the characters leaped off the page and took me along on a wonderfully quirky and exciting ride. I couldn't put this book down.
The writing is superb, the dialogue feels real, and the story itself was perfectly paced. And this is only the beginning! I have a feeling I am hopelessly hooked on this author, and will ha
Brianna Silva
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me, for someone who typically doesn't care for fairy tales and is (admittedly) suspicious of indie books.

It was very clever, subversive, and deliciously entertaining, playing off of tropes while also providing a breath of fresh air.

There were a couple info-dump dialog moments that I thought could have been cleaned up, but otherwise the writing was sharp and witty. The characters weren't super deep, but they were enjoyable and worked for the genre.

It's a short read too, and
Erin Dydek
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, quick read. I was able to finish this book in one day! And that's not something I can claim very often these days.

I enjoyed the energetic characters and their quick wit. The story offers adventure and a bit of suspense with a healthy amount of humor and character quirks. There were some pleasant surprises throughout the plot, I liked the fairytale elements, and the end turned out different than I expected!