Start by marking “Hey! Wake Up!” as Want to Read:
Hey! Wake Up!

Hey! Wake Up!

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,487 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The perfect partner to Pajama Time!, Hey! Wake Up! is a good-morning book with the irrepressible language, the inimitable illustrations, the irresistible cast of characters only Sandra Boynton could create.

Yawn.

Stretch.

Touch your toes.

Shimmy shimmy shimmy,

Wiggle your nose.

Just watch out for the broccoli stew. (Ew.)
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 1st 2000 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Hey! Wake Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey! Wake Up!

SaraLaLa
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I have found that there are many books about going to sleep (even Sandra Boynton has one), but I haven't found anything about waking up.

All of Sandra Boynton's books have a great rhythm, rhyme, and pictures. Although I'm not in love with this book, my daughter likes it and I can see it being part of our home library.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Cute" is often derided as being girly, and young. It isn't a quality many aspire to. But like comedy, cute is hard. Just because Boyton makes it look easy, doesn't mean it is.

Cute.

Library copy
Sheila
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute book of critters waking up to face the day and play. I enjoy Sandra Boynton. Her drawings are wonderful.
Samantha
A lively wake up call written in rhyming text. A fun read aloud with Toddlers and PreK.
Megan
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So fun!!
Erik
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
Makes for a fun way to start the day.
Robert Beveridge
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, Hey! Wake Up! (Workman Publishing, 2000)

Another fun-if-not-quite-classic Boynton that plays with big/little and differences in personal taste (the hippo is definitely not fond of the rabbit's broccoli stew—hey, I'd eat it!). The illustrations are of course phenomenal, the rhymes are solid and scan perfectly (which I'm noticing is actually pretty rare in pre-lit; see reviews elsewhere this ish of Follow the Bunny and Nighty-Night for examples of weird missteps in that department),
Connie
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, bouncy book about a group of animals and their morning routine.

You can overthink the broccoli stew bit (my nieces think it's really funny to say "ew" at broccoli, because they LOVE broccoli - and so do I, but I think having it for breakfast would be a little much!), and you can overthink the rabbit not being tall enough for basketball (what? He *is* too short to play that game!), but once you're done with that you're left with just this - a short, bouncy book that will wake ever
Amber Friel
I love how Sandra Boynton doesn't just write the stereotypical bedtime book. This book is a perfect example. The rhyme is fun and energetic. It's the perfect book to help your kids get up and moving, any time of day. Her rhymes are fun to move along too, and easy for kids to remember. Half way through the book, my little one is already anticipating what's next and happily dancing along. Sandra makes reading fun!
Linda
This young children's story is a catchy form of entertainment for kids 3 and up. While reading it to my 4 year old grandson, he insisted on pointing to the funny animals and wanted to control turning the pages. I had to go at his pace. In the meantime, his 6 year old brother scooted over and was soon found in my lap, too. Initially, he told me he was too big for the book but by the end he was attempting to read it to an audience of two.
Alisha
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are plenty of "good night" books out there, but how many "good morning" books do you know of? This one is perfect for getting your day, and your child's, started off on the right foot. My little girl smiles everytime I pull out this book, and I can't help but greet her each morning with, "Good Morning Sun, Happy Morning Everyone!" Enjoy this one of a kind book.
Christy
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Boynton is back! Joining Barnyard Dance! and Birthday Monsters!, here is Hey! Wake Up! a good-morning book with the irrepressible language, the inimitable illustrations, the irresistible cast of characters only Sandra Boynton could create.

Yawn.

Stretch.

Touch your toes.

Shimmy shimmy shimmy,

Wiggle your nose.

Just watch out for the broccoli stew. (Ew.)
Drew Graham
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Everyone wakes up and gets ready for the day!

This is an interesting selection because there are a LOT of bedtime books, but not that many about the morning routine. (Maybe because that routine is much easier for little ones?) It was fun to see all the creatures, younger and older, waking up and getting ready for the day in true Sandra Boynton style.
Jessica
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story goes through the morning activities of the animals. They wake up and eat breakfast and get dressed and play outside. It is a fun story with actions for the kids to participate in. They can stretch and wiggle their toes with the animals. It can also be used to talk about what you eat for breakfast and what you like to play outside.
Dee
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books, library
HEY! WAKE UP! This is a fun board book. Very rhymey but easy to get into the cadence. The illustration is simple but fun! Only downfall is I feel like it is anti broccoli stew....not sure if I want to add the "ew." Part.
jacky
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
This just wasn't as fun and quirky as most of the other books we've read by Boynton, particularly Hippos Go Beserk. The only fun part of the story for me was the broccoli stew, but otherwise it was a let down.
Marlee
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, sweet, simple board book for young children and children of all ages. Sandra Boynton's books are fun to read over and over again. The pictures are simple and easy for young children. The story is quick and fun.
Heather
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this one at a thrift store. I had been kind of dubious about the Sandra Boynton books before that. They're everywhere so how good can they be? But I'm kind of a convert now. This one is cute and funny and I got it for 25 cents.
Efox
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
We love Sandra Boynton at our house and this book is no exception. Adorable illustrations (as usual) and great rhymes. This one isn't one of my top most favorites of hers, but it is still very enjoyable.
Aneesa
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I came up with a better ending for this book.
E
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Another boisterous celebration by Wells that speaks to young children's love of the absurd. It almost rivals BUT NOT THE HIPPOPOTAMUS.
Kimberly
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onceuponatime
Read this book every night for over 2 years, until it ended up in the wash. Cardboard doesn't wash well. It's an excellent first book!
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love Sandra Boynton's books...humorous, witty, rhyming, and the kids love them!
Heather
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
HERE IS ANOTHER BOOK THAT MAKES MY LITTLE MAN LAUGH OUT LOUD...ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAY "ewww!!"
Ruth
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The way we would wake up Josh every morning for about a year. "Hey little guy, open your eyes! What do you say? It's a brand new day!"
Rebecca
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I don't like broccoli stew either, I'm with the hippo!
Madison
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. I also think the authors should be encouraging kids to eat broccoli and not teaching them to loathe it at an early age.
Hilary Wagner
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My 2 year old daughter hates broccoli, so she loves when they say, "Broccoli stew...ew." She giggles. :)
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5
elissa
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not as good as BARNYARD DANCE, but another great Boynton book for the toddler set. (Unless you don't want your kids to have a prejudice against broccoli--one of my sons does eat it, though!)
  • Neighborhood Animals (Baby Einstein)
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Tumble Bumble
  • My Very First Book of Words
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Quiet Loud
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • Dog
  • The Eye Book
  • Little Quack's Hide and Seek
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton