Start by marking “The Glittering Hour” as Want to Read:

The Glittering Hour

The epic and long-awaited new romance from the author of Letters to the Lost, winner of the RNA Award.

Selina Lennox is a Bright Young Thing. Her life is a whirl of parties and drinking, pursued by the press and staying just the right side of scandal.

Lawrence Weston is a penniless painter who stumbles into Selina's orbit one night and can never let her go.

Spanning two decad
Published May 30th 2019 by Simon & Schuster UK

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Dec 10, 2019
    An unforgettable historical about true love found and lost and the secrets we keep from one another from an award-winning author

Selina Lennox is a Br

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Joan
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this new novel for four years, after devouring Iona Grey’s brilliant, award winning debut novel ‘Letters to the Lost’. I was very excited at being chosen to review this novel which totally blew me away and exceeded all of my expectations.
    This new novel is set in the intervening years between the two world wars and mainly at the family country house Blackwood or in London. ‘It Girl’ Selina Lennox is living the high life of swigging champagne, dancing th
    Kerry
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I cannot even begin to tell you how achingly beautiful this book is.
    Iona Grey has broken my heart all over again.
    I know my words will never, in a million years, do this book the justice it deserves. You need to read it for yourself to understand. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    I absolutely adored Iona Grey's previous novel, Letters To The Lost. I talk about it, a lot! I have been patiently waiting (for four years) for her next book and I can tell you that The Glittering Hour has most certai
    Thebooktrail
    The Glittering Hour

Visit the locations in the novel

Sometimes there comes a novel that moves you so much that you have to write your review just to get your emotions out. A book that moves you so much that you have to stop blubbering long enough so you can write your thoughts down. A love story so exquisitely drawn that you finish the book and start to feel like you’ve been in it with them and now feel bereft that they’ve gone.

The Glittering Hour, as its name suggests, sparkles, and it’s not just the love story. Th
    Lucille
    May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The Glittering Hour is a perfect read for people who love tear-jerkers. This is a story of boy meets girl, loses girl, and finally finds her again.

Set in two time frames, the early 1920s and mid 1930s, it revolves around Selina Lennox and her daughter Alice. The changes in lifestyle people experienced between the end of the First World War and the beginning of the Second is well portrayed, although I thought the governess as a supporter of Mosely was rather heavy-handed.

Selina is a wealthy Brig
    Deborah Carr
    May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I've just finished reading The Glittering Hour and am completely bereft to have to leave Selina and Alice's stories behind. The characters and their stories in this exquisite book will stay with me for a very long time.

The Glittering Hour is told through two timelines. Selina Lennox's story, who as one of the Bright Young People in the 1920s, partied hard, shocking society at that time but determined to live life to the full after the horrors and loss of the First World War. We discover her hop
    Annarella
    May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A great love story, a well researched historical background, a writer who is a born storyteller.
    There's a lot of thing I could write about this heart-wrenching and engaging page turner but to cut short a long story I would only that this was an epic reading experience that moved me to tears more than once.
    This book is almost perfect: the well written characters, the historical background, the plot that flows seamlessly.
    Some parts reminded me of Evelyn Waugh and Somerset Maugham. I can't say why
    Douglas Osler
    Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book describes the issues facing society after the First World War in a very clear way,underlining the social problems faced as the existing social structure falls apart and young people challenge the assumptions about how they will live their lives. The atmosphere of the period is captured very effectively and the characters are well drawn from the new generation expecting success to those who feel entitled and no longer fit in. The lead character,the girl Alice is tremendously well drawn ...more
    Fiona Mitchell
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I couldn’t wait to get hold of a copy of The Glittering Hour, having been utterly blown away by the brilliance of Grey’s debut novel, Letters to The Lost, and I was not disappointed.

An epic love story, The Glittering Hour switches between two timeframes: aristocratic champagne-swilling, party-goer Selina Lennox in the 1920s, and Selina’s nine year old daughter, Alice in the 1930s.

Alice is ensconced with her grandparents at their stately home, Beechcroft, desperately missing her mother who is in
    Katrina Oliver
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A beautiful book. I love the author’s descriptions of the antics of the bright young things of 1920s, and then the outcomes of that lifestyle. Poignant, beautiful and sad. The twin timeline of 1920s and 1930s works really well and I really enjoyed the way that the story was told, following Alice’s discovery of her mother’s younger life. Beautifully written, with captivating descriptions, and completely engaging- I really loved this book and felt that I was completely immersing myself in the roar ...more
    Sarah Goldthorpe
    Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I first heard of Iona Grey when her first book ‘Letters to the Lost’ was published, she featured in a magazine article and it inspired me to buy a copy, it was not my usual read at all but I loved it and have kept looking out for her next book every since. ‘The Glittering Hour’ does not disappoint, it’s a beautifully written story carefully intertwining the lives of Selina in the mid nineteen twenties and that of her young daughter Alice a decade later. It captures the emotion of the times wonde ...more
    Anne
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: kindle
    Should I write a review from the heart, do you think? Might that be a bit too gushing? If it is, my apologies, but this book was absolutely everything I hoped it would be – and then probably a little more.

The prologue to this book drew me in instantly – entitled “The End”, a picture coming slowly into focus with enigmatic mentions of missing faces on the walls, the kitbag propped against the table leg, the wedding dress hanging elsewhere, and the lover turned to for the very last time. I already
    Claire Riley
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Ronnie Turner
    May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Nine year old Alice Carew waits impatiently for her mama to return from a business trip. At Blackwood Park, a sprawling, overgrown estate that has lost its splendour, the company is austere and cold. Her grandmother only sees fit to admonish her. It’s one saving grace is helper Polly, who cares for Alice with warmth and kindness. But even Polly can’t assuage Alice’s loneliness and need for her mother. Meanwhile, Selena is missing her daughter too and plots a way to ease the hardship and hasten t ...more
    Jessica Gilmore
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What a wonderful, wonderful book. The Glittering Hour is so well named because it does glitter, every word, every chapter, every twist and turn until the heart wrenchingly inevitable end. Spoiler: you will need tissues. Many of them. Iona Grey has been very open about the struggles she has had following up her award winning Letters to the Lost, but I can promise you, this book is well worth waiting for.

Like Letters to the Lost, The Glittering Hour is set in two time zones, connected by letters.
    Joanne
    May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    From the very beginning of this book, I was captivated. A good prologue should catch your interest, ask you questions, then leave you hanging. The prologue in this book certainly does that. Who was the woman in bed with her lover? Whose was the wedding dress hanging up in another room across town? And why is the prologue entitled The End?

Like Alice following her mother’s clues, this book completely captured my imagination and I eagerly read about the young Selina. I liked the way their stories w
    Abi
    May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Selina Lennox spends her days partying and drinking with her high-class friends, dubbed the Bright Young Things by the pursuing press.

Lawrence Weston is a struggling artist making ends meet painting portraits for wealthy families who have lost their sons on the battlefield.

When a chance encounter brings them together, little do they realise it will be a night that will change the rest of their lives.

Since reading Letters to the Lost I have always kept an eye out for more from this author, and I
    Alba
    Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I have just finished reading this stunning story and I need to put into paper how much I loved The Glittering Hour. I still have tears in my eyes and I cannot believe that Selina and Alice's story is over. I am definitely going to miss them immensely. As you can tell, this book has made me feel many emotions, as I felt really connected to story and its characters.

Iona Grey already made me fell in love with her writing with her acclaimed debut, Letters to the Lost, but I think that The Glitterin
    Katherine
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: a-few-favorites
    Iona Grey's first novel "Letters to the Lost" hooked me, and immediately solidified her as one of my favorite authors. I had been anxiously awaiting her second novel, so upon hearing of its release this year I was incredibly excited and hoping that it would be as wonderful as her first. I was not disappointed.

"The Glittering Hour" takes its reader through two time periods (mid-20's and mid-30's) weaving back and forth in a seamless fashion. In the 20's we meet the "Bright Young Things" of high s
    Molly
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was pretty good, it kept me engaged although I did figure out what was coming around the mid point of the book, so the ending chapters weren't really a surprise. Still enjoyable tho.

Alice is such a lovely character and I loved reading her chapters, she's so believable as a young girl displaced and living amongst her not so friendly relatives.

I do think that the side characters could have been developed a bit more, everyone outside of Alice, Selina and Polly was a bit one note and I never r
    Alannah Clarke
    May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
    This sounded like a great book which I couldn't wait to read. I am so glad I got the chance to read it, I thought it was a lovely, heartbreaking and well-written book, I found myself glued to it after about the first quarter of the novel. It is told from a dual timeline, however, it is handled so well that I didn't feel confused or lost while reading, I was able to follow the story really well. I think Grey is an amazing writer and I look forward to reading more of her work.
    Sandra McKenna
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    BRILLIANT.

My heart is still pounding, and there are tears in my eyes.
    What an incredibly brilliant book this is.
    Set in the mid 1920s, the age of the bright young things, and the mid 1930s, this an amazing story of an undying love that wasn't really acceptable, but persevered regardless.
    So well written and riveting from beginning to end.
    Iona Grey, you have done it again, and I am anxiously awaiting your next book.
    Scarlet Wilson
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a mesmerising story. The settings and visual images are perfectly described, it’s almost like watching a film. The authenticity of the time period is perfect and the main character has enough complexity to make you both root for her, and want to shake her at times. A totally engrossing read. Keep tissues handy!
    Maggie Kiely
    Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was well written It was very long and I found the characters boring and could not make sense of Selina's actions except perhaps to provoke an emotional response in the reader. I was wishing for the end from before half way through.
    Im in the minority here but so glad to be finished with it. Could not personally recommend.
    Claire Dyer
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a wonderful, wondrous book! The characters, settings, prose and story glitter and dance. It is a joy to read and yet it is deep and moving and meaningful and it deals compassionately with the circumstances that link and separate people. It is an epic love story and I loved every word.
    Emily
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I extremely love The Glittering Hour by Iona Grey. Absolutely beautiful work from the story, the characters, the cover, and the title. Everything was so perfect that I could not find any flaw at all. This is an amazing, emotional journey that I will enjoy again and again in the future.
    Rachel Burton
    A glorious, heartbreaking, bittersweet, uplifting wonder of a book from which I may never recover (the narration by Imogen Church was exquisite as well)
    Jo Barton
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Fabulous - Review to follow
    Eilidh Wilson
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Excellent

I enjoyed Iona Grey’s first book immensely and this one is even better. Keep them coming. Very moving and unputdownable!
    Candy
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Gem ~ Bee
    May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Review to follow
    “Footfalls echo in the memory Down the passage we did not take, Towards the door we never opened Into the rose garden–T.S. ELIOT” 1 likes