Start by marking “The Nightmare: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare: A Short Story

The Nightmare: A Short Story

Hades, the ruler of the deadlands, finds light in the gloomiest of places and struggles to protect the only shred of innocence left in a world controlled by gods. A short story of 7,000 words.
Published October 30th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare

Start your review of The Nightmare: A Short Story
Nicole Scarano
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful And Dark

This is a beautiful and dark short story about Hades and Persephone. I love them. Perfect for a lunch break read.
J.D. Nyle
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Summary
This story takes a look at two questions:

What were the god of the Underworld's thoughts about falling in love with Persephone?
What if Hades was good and Zeus was the malicious one?

The result is a story from Hades point of view about falling in love with Persephone. The story is entirely from his perspective and his thoughts and that serves as the appeal that carries the story through. The result is an interesting story with potential to be even better, but something that I still
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though it was short, I completely adored this version of Hades and Persephone. Sandell uses so many evocative descriptions to show the way Persephone changes and brightens Hades' life. It was an absolutely beautiful retelling.
Adam Wing
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this story! It explores a classic Greek myth from a perspective not typically examined. (And anyone who knows me can tell you I'll have a soft spot for period-true retellings of Greek mythology.)

The prose is strong and the character of Hades compelling. Though the story's not long (as stated in the title), I thoroughly enjoyed his journey within it.

The only small issue I had with it was that Persephone's choices toward the end don't feel fully motivated by what came before. I was
Taylor
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you like Greek mythology?

Do you like twisted retellings of old stories from Greek mythology?

Do you like stories told from a villain's perspective?

Hell yes.

This isn't just any old Greek retelling in short story form. No, I feel like this one in particular really struck a chord with me. You know, that kind of chord that really rings out in perfect tune and gives you those lasting goosebumps up your arms. Maybe it was just me, but damn, Rachel Sandell knocked this one out of the park.

Rave
J.L. Willow
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indiecember
Good twist on the classic Olympus stories

I love hearing stories from the villian’s perspective, and seeing how Hades interacted and viewed the other gods was very cool. Great retelling of the Greek myths!
Denise the Fantasy Queen
Jul 06, 2019
David Samuels
Jun 27, 2019
Brian
is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2019

• Grow Your Author Platform: Generating Book Sales with Your Website, Email Marketing, Blogging, YouTube and Pinterest Using Content Marketing (Marketing For Authors, #2)
  • All I Want for Christmas...Is My Sister's Boyfriend
  • Terrorized: A Suspense Novella
  • The Curse of the Black Cat
  • Compendium
  • Ethan & Juliet (Try Again Series Book 1)
  • The Darkest Part of the Forest
  • Timepiece
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • A Storm of Silver and Ash
  • The Consequence of Loyalty (The Columbus Archives #1)
  • Coming Home: The Home Series
  • Dead End (Clown Conspiracy Book 1): A Short Thriller
  • Cleopatra Rules!: The Amazing Life of the Original Teen Queen
Writer of the mythical and magical, Rachel Sandell is a resident of Washington State and has been writing all her life. When she isn't reading, writing, or blogging about her favorite YA fantasy reads, she can often be found snuggled in a blanket, eating chocolate and watching movies with family.