Start by marking “Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)” as Want to Read:
Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)

Foul Is Fair

(Foul Is Fair #1)

Elle and her friends Mads, Jenny, and Summer rule their glittering LA circle. Untouchable, they have the kind of power other girls only dream of. Every party is theirs and the world is at their feet. Until the night of Elles sweet sixteen, when they crash a St. Andrews Prep party. The night the golden boys choose Elle as their next target.

They picked the wrong girl.

Sworn
Published February 18th 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Foul Is Fair, please sign up.

Start your review of Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
Dita
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

Omigahhhhhhhhh!

This book is too much in all of the best ways. Vengeful, violent, over the top, and fabulous!!

I can TOTALLY imagine Quentin Tarantino rolling around in this book and sighing with pleasure.

Suspend disbelief and just get in there, this one is so much fun!!

Thank you to Hannah Capin, St Martin's Press and NetGalley for giving me this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scary, bloody, violent retelling of teen Macbeth with the mash-up of Cruel Intensions, Riverdale, Mean Girls, American Horror Story Coven and of course one of the best disturbing high school movie Heathers!

So what do you think? Youre gonna be in or out! As a die-hard fan of all Shakespeare works, I took my place at the back seat, flipping pages with distorted face, widen eyes and the thought balloons appeared above my head says: WTH Im reading! Those teenagers couldnt be real human beings! They
Felicia
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If Macbeth pulled a Kill Bill on the movie Heathers, Foul is Fair would be the scene of the crime.

This book is f*cked the f*ck up.

So, obviously, I LOVED IT!

Think Sadie by Courtney Summers on a meth binge.

This is a story about the ultimate revenge. And, much like Kill Bill and Heathers, it's over-the-top craziness that couldn't possibly happen in real life, which is exactly how it should be told. This book is a revenge fantasy and if you aren't chill enough to appreciate that style... well
Paromjit
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Los Angeles is a privileged group of mean and powerful teen girls, the world is their oyster until Elizabeth Jade Khanjara, known as Elle, crashes a St Andrew's Prep Party on her sweet 16th birthday, with her friends, Jenny, Summer and Mads. She is raped and assaulted by 4 boys after her drink is spiked. Her memory fragmented and elusive, Elle becomes Jade, with her new short revenge black hair, she is no victim, no survivor, and with the unswerving support of her loyal coven of sisters, she ...more
megs_bookrack
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
I'm shooketh. As a modern retelling of Macbeth, this is absolute genius.

'For one fleeting second I'm proud of every bruise and every scratch--
the dark handprints on my arms and my neck and my ribs--
my broken claws--
the slash across my cheek--
--because every mark they left, everything they did, didn't even get close to breaking me.'

On the night of her sweet sixteen, high schooler, Elle, along with her best friends, Mads, Summer and Jenny, plan to crash a St. Andrews Prep party.

They are in the
Michelle
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Ladies, it's time to sharpen your claws.

When 16 year old Jade is gang raped at a St. Andrews Prep party by a bunch of rich, over privileged pricks she doesn't withdraw, she doesn't even cry, but she does vow to take bloody revenge.

With the help of her four best friends a.k.a the coven they will exact their revenge on those that drugged, that raped, that guarded the door, and that turned a blind eye. For these young ladies aren't your average young ladies. They are the shriek you hear in the
Deanna
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Sweet Sixteen is when the claws come out

Elizabeth Jade Khanjara (Elle) is turning sixteen. Elle and her ride or die friends (Mads, Jenny, and Summer) are about to crash a party. It isn't just any party, it's a St. Andrews Prep party.

Unfortunately, the night takes a horrible turn.

Now Elle is Jade.

Jade and her coven are out for REVENGE!

Names are written in lip liner.

Jenny says Fair is foul and foul is fair

Little Jenny Kim is
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
For all intents and purposes this should have been a book that I loved. It is a feminist retelling of a Shakespeare play featuring a bad ass girl gang seeking revenge, all things I usually gobble up in books. Unfortunately, though, this one missed the mark for me and I think it comes down to me not loving the writing style. The way that it was written really just kept reminding me that I was reading a book rather than immersing me into the story itself and I am big sad about it :( womp.
Debra
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Here's the thing, I didn't care for this book initially. I struggled a little with the narrative/writing style. It took a little bit of time for me to see what all the hoopla was about. I'm not the biggest fan of revenge stories either and yet, this one, around the halfway mark, really started to grow on me. It really is a crazy ride. They really did pick the wrong girl.

Fair is foul and foul is fair

I really don't even know how to write a review of this without giving anything away so what I will
Larry H
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Capin's Foul is Fair is dark, violent, and utterly crazy, but I am OBSESSED with this book!

If the mean girls of Megan Abbott and Kara Thomas books teamed up with Regina George and the cast of Heathers in a retelling of Macbeth , youd have this amazingly insane book. (And that description doesnt even really do it justice.)

Elle and her coven of best friendstogether theyre a quartet of obscenely wealthy, beautiful California girlsdecide to celebrate her 16th birthday by crashing a party
Yun
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
In Foul Is Fair, Jade wakes up after having been drugged and raped by four boys at a party. She and her friends vow revenge, and will stop at nothing to set right what has been wronged. She plots to destroy each of the boys, along with anyone who has turned a blind eye and enabled their behavior.

This book is so wild and crazy! Like, what did I just read? It's unapologetic and fearless in its drive for justice and its thirst for vengeance. No doubt a lot of the appeal of this book is its boldness
Amy Imogene Reads
5 bloody stars!

She's beauty, she's grace, she's going to put them all in their placethe grave.

Concept: ★★★★★
Writing style: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★★

I had no idea what I was getting into with Foul is Fair, but it was amazingtwisted in the best way, dark in the best way, and so validating in its satirically dark version of female victim agency.

Elle went to a party for St. Andrews prep boys when she was 16. She was chosen as a target for their non-consensual idea of "fun." Imagine what a
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
its 4am, I just binged this in one sitting. im shaking and smiling with my fangs out.

this wont be for everyone but it was everything I could ever want and more. if you wanted more revenge & bloodshed from sadie wrapped in a prom queen package, look no further.

Im not gonna try to be coherent in this just read the fucking book okay?

I cant believe this book exists.

okay Im going to bed now
Hannah Capin
May 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
hello all! i'm hannah, the author of FOUL IS FAIR. i look forward to sharing this book with you soon! i'd also like to share the link to the content advisory page for the book: hannahcapin.com/foulisfair. FOUL IS FAIR discusses several difficult subjects, including sexual assault and relationship abuse, and may not be a safe read for everyone. please keep your own wellbeing in mind. thank you!
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
To me, Foul is Fair is the Mean Girls retelling of Macbeth, or more specifically, if Mean Girls became a horror movie and was also a Macbeth retelling!

Its on the dark and violent side, so be warned, but the way that its written had me fully invested from the beginning, and this rare horror reader could not put this down. I thought this was such a creative and smart way to revisit Macbeth, and since this is technically young adult, could possibly help pique interest in Shakespeares work.

In a
Katie B
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes even when you don't particularly care for a book, you can at least recognize it wasn't necessarily a bad book, more it just wasn't for you. That is the case for Foul is Fair. I have read many positive reviews for it already and have seen it compared to various films and tv shows. And what is interesting to me is basically all of the comparisons are for things that aren't among my faves and therefore maybe I wasn't the best audience for this type of story.

The story is pretty wild and
alana ♡
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You picked the wrong girl."

This book was truly a WILD ride from start to finish and I was here for it every step of the way. It's dark, twisted, wicked, and so beautifully written. Foul is Fair is the ultimate story of revenge after Elle is sexually assaulted by a group of boys at St. Andrew's Prep. Her and her group of friends work together with a touch of magical realism to make every last one of the boys pay. How far do the girls go? Well, you'll just have to find out for yourself. But
Laurie Flynn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this one early, and it pretty much shattered my eyeballs. (Is that a thing? It is now.) FOUL IS FAIR is both a scream and the silence that follows. It's an unapologetically dark, feminist Macbeth, and I am here for it. Hannah Capin's writing is truly out of this world. It glitters and cuts, is both bold and poetic. The dismantling of these golden boys is raw and powerful and damn satisfying. Jade is not your typical protagonist and you will love her for it.

If books
Lily ☁️
2 1/2 stars. We stan books that include content and trigger warnings.

Blog | Bloglovin | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Umairah | Sereadipity
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Foul is Fair was a dark tale inspired by Macbeth about revenge after sexual assault and about survivors taking power into their own hands. It a was a raw, raging and visceral read.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5

Trigger warnings: sexual assault (off-page), rape culture, abusive relationship, bullying, transphobia, suicide attempt. A detailed page of trigger warnings can be found here on the author's website.

On the night of Elizabeth Jade Khanjara's sweet sixteen, she crashed a St.
Tatiana
Feb 18, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: ya, i-am-so-over-you, 2020
Like Red Hood, it just feels morally misguided. Revenge plot isn't something I am totally against, but I am definitely against it in this form. Murder is not the final solution, and has more consequences besides eliminating predators. Read Sadie, which shows the true cost of revenge.

The writing style isn't for me either.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review

Content warnings here

I read Foul is Fair months ago and I came to the conclusion, at the time when I have sat down to write this review, that its one of those books that will probably stick with me my whole life. Its one of these books I often go back to and find myself thinking about. Its monstrous and haunting and the revenge fantasy that I never knew I needed in my life until I actually read it.

Foul is Fair is a
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
In the past year or so, I've expanded my reading boundaries to include genres I've previously shied away from like Young Adult. And the rewards have been tenfold! I've discovered amazingly talented authors spinning fantastic tales in the genre, and as a matter of fact, one of my favorite books of 2019 was of the Young Adult genre. Go figure! lol But still - to say Foul Is Fair is out of my reading wheelhouse is a gross understatement. So why did I love it so much? I honestly can't say other than ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Im a little late to the party on this one and didnt get around to reading it before its Pub Day. But as I always say: better late than pregnant never. For those of you who dont dip your toes in the Young Adult pond, Foul is Fair is what would happen if . . . .

Had a baby with . . . .

And . . . . .

The result???

The story here is one of revenge after Elle goes to a party in order to celebrate her Sweet 16, is violated and
Dennis
A fun young adult novel that is at times cringeworthy and also very dark. Think Cruel Intentions meets American Horror Story! I really enjoyed the narrative, but felt that the writing at times was a bit scattered. Definitely a fun lazy weekend type of read. Multiple trigger warnings throughout the book, but the author deals with them carefully and professionally. More to come.
Louise Wilson
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Its Elle's sixteenth birthday. All she wanted to do was to party and make great memories. But her memories soon turned to nightmares when she woke up battered and bruised. Her drink had been spiked. She remembers being pinned down by several boys. Elle now calls herself Jade and she plans to get her revenge on the boys wh attacked her.

There is a trigger warning page at the beginning off the boo. Jade and a group of friends out for revenge on the boys that attacked her. The teenagers are
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
There are no words to truly describe my absolute anger and frustration with this book. I believe this story is dangerous in a deeply unsettling way.

And I'm frustrated and disappointed - I really enjoyed Hannah Capin's debut novel, The Dead Queen's Club. The girls' didn't just get "revenge" by uncovering the wrongdoer - but they led the perpetrator to confessing his crimes. It was empowering, refreshing in it's unique storytelling and history retelling.

But this - Foul is Fair falls far short of
preoccupiedbybooks
The UK cover is nowhere near as stunning as the US one! 😭On the upside, its already out here...
Mandi1082
Very Dark and gritty. Think Shakespeare MacBeth mix with American Horror Story mix with Mean Girls and you have Foul is Fair.

When Elle attends a party with her group of girls called the Coven she is roofied and raped by a gang of boys. So she plots to seek revenge on everyone who is involved by killing them one by one. Trigger warnings for Sexual assault, rape culture, violence and language.

I did not know what I was getting myself into when I picked up this ARC. It's not something i usually
Carol (Bookaria)
This book is a wild and insane ride, I had no idea what I was getting into.

Elle and her friends go to the party of a boy who attends another school, she expected to have fun but what she got will have her plotting deadly revenge.

The story is unapologetically dark and wicked. It is supposed to be the retelling of Shakespeare's Lady MacBeth but I haven't read that book, so I don't know how faithful it is to it. I find the idea of a well-plotted revenge entertaining as long as the story and the

• Jane Anonymous
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • What Kind of Girl
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Run, Rebel
  • Tigers, Not Daughters
  • Mayhem
  • Tweet Cute
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Belle Révolte
  • Break the Fall
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • All the Pretty Things
  • Rules for Being a Girl
  • The Dilemma
Hannah Capin lives in Tidewater Virginia. She holds degrees from the Indiana University School of Music and Columbia University. When she isn't working on her next book, you'll find her sailing, singing, or scheming with her friends. She is the author of THE DEAD QUEENS CLUB and FOUL IS FAIR (2020). ...more