Start by marking “Murder in Costa Rica” as Want to Read:
Murder in Costa Rica

Murder in Costa Rica

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Divorced, overworked, and full of doubts, Laura Humphreys escapes to paradise to volunteer for a sea turtle conservation project. Her vacation is shattered when a friend is murdered. The police are understaffed, a government official may be stalling the investigation, and Laura refuses to relent.

Antonio De La Torres, the lead government investigator, is determined to have
Published December 2nd 2018 by Lynda Markham

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Costa Rica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Costa Rica

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Murder in Costa Rica
Jammin Jenny
I received this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this fictional re-telling of a real life historical event in Costa Rica. The story is based on the brutal killing of a local Costa Rican environmentalist, and the kidnapping, torture, and rape of four eco-volunteers helping the green sea turtles. I thought the author did a great job bringing the characters to life, and exploring the drug trade and bribery in the government agencies of Costa Rica.
V
Feb 19, 2019 marked it as will-not-finish
Why I chose this book:
Reviews were being sought for this in one of my Goodreads groups. The synopsis sounded like the type of mystery novel I enjoy. And I've been wishing I could go to Costa Rica lately. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Unfortunately, this was not the great fit I expected.

Synopsis:
"Divorced, overworked, and full of doubts, Laura Humphreys escapes to paradise to volunteer for a sea turtle conservation project. Her vacation is shattered when a
Pat Eroh
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few years ago my family joined my son's education group to Costa Rica. Much of this book brought back wonderful memories including that of going to the beach at night to see if we could witness a turtle laying eggs. We were not lucky enough to see one but did get to see where eggs had been laid. Disappointing but the most important thing was that we did not disturb the turtles and did not see any poachers. The people of Costa Rica are so wonderful and this book reminded me of how I felt when I ...more
Fleur
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I really wanted to love this book, the idea of it was great however there were just some things that made it hard to connect like, Alma who we met in the first chapter, then never hear of her again and after what happen to all the volunteers there is no word about either the new volunteers/Laura knowing what happened or having a bit of apprehension of going/being there now themselves if they did know. It is also a bit information overload to begin with, but it does settles in for a pretty good ...more
Jeanne Richardson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book I've read written by L.D. Markham; she has done an great job at writing a good book; I will definitely be reading more of her books.

I loved the characters.

Linda Pifer
January 20, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition
Who is Alma? She’s featured in the first sentence of chapter one and never again in the book. Thinking Alma was the main protagonist, it took some time to realize she was not.

Suspense from the initial chapter comes to a full stop with the extensive background on the plight of the sea turtles and I would have grasped the info better had it been worked into the story as the volunteers assumed their practical duties. Action did not pick up again until chapter
Wendy
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Netgalley Giveaway

Murder in Costa Rica was an interesting novel. I was very much interested in all the aspects regarding Sea Turtle rescues, conservation issues and even the perspectives of the poachers. It did not occur to this reader there was actual politics involved when it came to saving an endangered species. Once the murder occurred, I liked the way the investigation was depicted - as a lot of questions, gathering clues, waiting for forensics and listing possible suspects.

However, the
L.D. Markham
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Another 5 star review from a verified reader on Amazon.
“Been looking forward to this author's debut offering for a long time and she didn't disappoint with Murder in Costa Rica. The story kept the pages turning and the characters were very believable. Hope to see a continuation of this series.” Thank you.
Jason Stanley
Zoe
Katharine
A girl has no name
May 13, 2019

• Duct Tape Killer: The True Inside Story of Sexual Sadist & Murderer Robert Leroy Anderson
  • Belinda Blake and the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Exotic Pet-Sitter #2)
  • A Knife in the Fog (Margaret Harkness and Arthur Conan Doyle #1)
  • Crime Wave (Maggie, P.I. Mystery #1)
  • Murder's No Votive Confidence (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #1)
  • Carbs and Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly News (Britton Bay #1)
  • Deadly Vows (Britton Bay #2)
  • A Mysterious Mix Up (Allie Cobb Mystery #3)
  • Writing the Cozy Mystery
  • Deadly Ride (Britton Bay #3)
  • Statue of Limitations (A Goddess of Greene St. Mystery #1)
  • Writing Can Be Murder
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions
  • Dear Edward
  • Roses and Revenge (Port Danby Mystery #4)
In 2013 my husband and I took a serendipitous trip to Costa Rica. I was smiling constantly, and suddenly remembered I liked to write. At that moment, I couldn't remember why I had ever stopped.

I started writing Murder in Costa Rica the minute I returned home. As I was writing, I was following news from Costa Rica and learned about the real murder of biologist and conservationist Jairo Mora