Start by marking “Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways To Make Nature More Visible” as Want to Read:
Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways To Make Nature More Visible

Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways To Make Nature More Visible

We're not just losing the wild world. We're forgetting it. We're no longer noticing it. We've lost the habit of looking and seeing and listening and hearing.

But we can make hidden things visible, and this book features 23 spellbinding ways to bring the magic of nature much closer to home.

Mammals you never knew existed will enter your world. Birds hidden in treetops will sh
Published November 1st 2018 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about Rewild Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewild Yourself

Start your review of Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways To Make Nature More Visible
Paul
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a large number of people who only go outside if they have to, moving between house and car, car and office and almost never take the time to walk away from the asphalt, away from the modern technology and rediscover the wild. The evidence is starting to grow too that this is an essential part of our psyche and how spending just a short amount of time outdoors has significant short and long term benefits.

With the aim of encouraging people to head outdoors, Simon Bares has selected twen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simon Barnes has done it again. This is a book like a sharp thump to restart the heart. Breathtakingly simple, yet not quite obvious (arguably he should have said something more about bird feeding but he has a fair point about there being other places to find out about that) Tremendously accessible and yet challenging (quit whining about wanting to see a puffin, just go and see a puffin). Practical (keep a supermarket plastic bag with you so you can sit anywhere without getting a damp bottom) bu ...more
Helen
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the gentle language and charming description in this book. The idea that nature is all around us, and that we just need to remind ourselves it is also within is timely. The "spells" are achievable and creative, giving food for thought and a lovely to do list. Butterflies, dolphins and an array of deer, all within our country and ready for us to find. I must go and buy a Buddleia! ...more
Tina Ambury
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm wilder than I thought and so are you.
I was totally unprepared for the emotion this book unleashed.
Joy. Joyful. The most joyous book I've read this year (#44).
The spells are ones I know, or had known and the joy comes from recognition.
I started reading this book on holiday in Spain and was mighty cross when it became unavailable in my BorrowBox library. I collected it from my local library this morning and have been smiling all afternoon.
The first kiss is not the best kiss; it's merely the
Miglė
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
a book on nature referencing Harry Potter dozens of times - I'm in. ...more
Elisabeth Bibbings
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know I always give Simon Barnes 5 stars, just because he's Simon Barnes and a wonderful writer - but how anyone can read his books and not be wildly enthusiastic about nature, I can't imagine.
This book will also appeal to lovers of fantasy, particularly Narnia and Harry Potter, which are much quoted from. Barnes gives us spells to fill the world with wonderful wildlife - well, the wildlife is already there, it's just a question of opening our eyes and ears to perceive it.
We could buy a bat det
Elise
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gentle book to read about the little wonders just around the corner. Makes we want to buy a canoe and binoculars immediately!

While reading I started paying attention to the noise I am cancelling automatically; and I heard 3 or 4 different birds singing. Magical!
Anca
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a little gem.
Sophy H
A lovely tome detailing how we can all "get back to nature" through the little things, observing, smelling, feeling, absorbing.

Too often these days, people walk round with their heads down, staring at screens. We should be looking up, looking around, listening and we can discover such simple beauty as a bird of prey hovering above us, a rare fungi hidden away at the base of a tree, or stop dead still and there's a deer in the woods.

This is my kind of book for sure.
Ian
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
excellent little short stories about how to re engage with nature from the wonder (waterproof) trousers too interesting books .. really enjoyed this read and will put some of it into practice - specifically walking with awareness..
Marian Leica
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely read! Simon Barnes is looking by the use of his "spells" to inspire you to find in yourself the lost intrinsic joy of being wild, in the sense of spending time surrounded by nature more actively and effectively, so that you get the most out of the experience. ...more
Josie
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
You become wilder in your mind and in your heart. That's the real magic. You wake up the part of you that slept. It was there all along. It needed only the smallest shake, the gentlest nudge to become part of your waking self. There is wildness in us all...

This was WONDERFUL.  At first I thought the idea of "spells" to rewild yourself was a slightly kooky idea, but the magic turned out to be a mixture of practical tips, suggestions of equipment to purchase, and knowledge.  So the bizarre-soundin
Simon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Found this a little annoying and hard going at times, though the idea was a good one. It's a collection of short stories (or spells as the author refers to them) with each being a different insight to a part of nature. I've friends who thought it brilliant, which is why I wanted to read it really. I think if you are a complete nature beginner, not used to looking for such wondrous creatures, then it may really be the eye opener I was looking for (it certainly was for the people who recommended i ...more
Sarah Lee
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
I spotted this little book and thought it would be a nice little read. Split into 23 spells or short stories, it details how to rewild yourself. Nicely written and a nice book, it didn't really contain anything I didn't already know, or really didn't already do. A nice book nonetheless. ...more
Kate ( Earth Heart's Pages )
3/5 Genuinely beautifully written stroll through the British country. The love for nature seeps through the pages. I feel the wonder for nature and especially birds. I feel like talking to Tolkien's ghost, if you remember his walk and tree obsession. It is calm with a small hint of fun.

This book is for hikers. This book is for British walk-taking birdwatchers. If you want to learn about birds, moths, bats and how to attract snakes to your garden. Go right ahead, it's beautiful.

However I chose
Stephen Baird
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was the cover of this book that drew me to it as all I wanted to do was spend some time at the side of the water.

Split into 23 accessible chapters, each focusing on a different change you can make to feel more within the wild that is always around us but that you haven’t noticed.

I love books that have small chapters as it’s a great bedside read, dipping in and out before you fall asleep. This is especially true of books on art and nature due to the positive feelings you get from them. The big
Kathryn Seddon
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A magical book for those already in love with nature and those who may need some direction in getting closer to their wild side.

Barnes's description of wild Britain along with helpful hints and tips to immerse ourselves in its nature allows the reader to cross the threshold into a whole other world thats right under our nose. Except its not really another world, its a part of our world, and we so often lack gratitude and appreciation for it.

We have definitely lost our connection to nature and ha
Genevieve Drinkwater
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Reading this book would never be wasted time, what you gain from it varies depending on your previous knowledge of nature. New to observing wildlife it’d probably be 5 stars. For me it was between a 3 and 4 stars. 4 stars because the chapters were succinct and easy to read with hints and tips, but 3 stars at times where I felt it drifted a bit or I felt some chapters could’ve been swapped in with something more relevant. Also spotted a typo! Still, it’s one I will always keep on the bookshelf es ...more
Heather C
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely book to help you find the magic in life, that you may have lost when growing up & the world around you got hectic.

It offers simple & on the whole cheap options to help you reconnect with nature, revealing the magic spells to enjoy being outdoors & catch a glimpse of the beauty all around us.

An enjoyable read from start to finish
Wendy Patrick
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yummy !

Loved every word of it . I have been doing lots of it for years but what amazing book 8f you want to discover the amazing world that lies at our feet . "You bring more life to your garden, sure, but that’s because you have begun to abandon the notion that this space is your space and that humans have sole rights over it." Should be given to everyone who concretes over grass or puts down an artificial lawn !
Mark
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a delight. Fun, straightforward and enchanting. We all need this stuff.
Liz
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magical!
Yannick Schutz
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a fun book to read and a great learning tool! I will come back to it for sure
Heidi
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A super read and one everybody should read no matter how experienced you feel in the outside world.
The opening quotes from classic books paves the way for what each chapter holds and is a lovely idea.
The book itself gives a massive insight in to all the important parts of nature that go on around us every day and shows us we all just need to slow down and take notice.
This book will stay on my bookshelf for me to refer to time and time again.
Joely Butler
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening and beautiful. Makes nature accessible to all.
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Really fun quick read. I really want to put a pond in the garden!
Pam Cummins
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the fact this book wasn’t expecting you to become an expert or to know 100 different species at once. In fact it told you it was ok to just have some basic knowledge (or none at all, just enjoy the sights and sounds). Some ideas struck a chord with me and others such as canoeing I will leave for others but the point is there is really something for everyone wherever you happen to live. It has inspired me to visit some nature reserves and to go on a boat trip next time I am by the sea.
Jamie Bowen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Loved this book! Simple tips of how you can find and benefit from nature. As the book discusses we often look for peace through an app or meditation skills, but you can often find peace in the wild when you experience nature. It’s inspired me to write a bucket list on nature’s experiences such as a bat walk, whale watching etc. If you love the outdoors, nature or walking this book is for you.
Denise
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I was a bit dismissive of this when I first encountered it, thinking it some kind of self-help book. But of course, it IS a self-help book and I hadn’t realised how much I needed it.
I like to think I’m quite an observant person. Early (very early, excuse me, actually) retired, I have the time and patience to stand at my window and watch the birds coming to the feeders, to wander around the garden at leisure, to walk whenever there’s a fine day and take notice of the wildlife. I h
This book is somewhat frustrating in its combination of quite nice, thoughtful, and insightful sections of prose with extremely cheesy parts. A good editing out of all the talk about "spells" and references to Narnia and Harry Potter worlds would trim this down to what could be an accessible and reflective guide for a surburban or urban dweller to experiment with getting more in touch with nature. He emphasizes the joyful attempt over mastery and completely lacks snobbery, both things that can b ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Back to Nature: How to love life - and save it
  • Rebirding: Rewilding Britain and its Birds
  • Diary of a Young Naturalist
  • The Garden Jungle: or Gardening to Save the Planet
  • Wilding
  • Losing Eden: Why Our Minds Need the Wild
  • The Art of Rest: How to Find Respite in the Modern Age
  • Bringing Back the Beaver: The Story of One Man's Quest to Rewild Britain's Waterways
  • The Lost Spells