Start by marking “The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty New Edition: The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,852 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
For six extraordinary years around the turn of the millennium, the Yankees were baseball's unstoppable force, with players such as Paul O'Neill, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera. But for the players and the coaches, baseball Yankees-style was also an almost unbearable pressure cooker of anxiety, expectation, and infighting. With owner George Steinbrenner at the controls, th ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published August 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty New Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty New Edition

Lewis Weinstein
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As I Yankee fan from 1947 to today, of course I enjoyed the read. The structure of the book, stretching a detailed description the last game of the 2001 World Series from the beginning to the end, was well-conceived and well-executed.

The Boss (George Steinbrenner) comes off as a heavy, which he was, but I never forgot how much he wanted to win and how willing he was to pend his money to achieve that.
Grant Hiskes
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Overall, I thought the book was pretty good. For any fans of baseball, unless you are an anti-Yankees maniac, you should enjoy reading this book. However, do not be fooled by the idea you have that the book incorporates all of the Yankees history from Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra to Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter. Instead, the book really only talks about the Yankees' multiple trips to the World Series from 1996 to the World Series game against the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2001, and a mini-biography ...more
Tara
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only really unfortunate thing about this book is the title, which Olney acknowledges as a mistake in the introduction. It's an account of how the Yankees dynasty of 96-01 was built, the relevant players and people, and although Olney doesn't shy away from the problems, it is a very positive account. He frames the book in the introduction (added in a newer edition) and epilogue with the root of the Yankees' problem and why it couldn't sustain success: George Steinbrenner.

I think most basebal
Ebessenbacher
I hated this team when they were good but I really just have to respect them now. I'm not a Yankees fan but I love baseball and in my newly named tradition of reading a baseball book when baseball season starts this was the first one for no particular reason. It revolves around game 7 of the 2001 World Series against the Diamondbacks and mixes in nearly a chapter each on players, coaches and ownership.

Olney was the New York Times reporter covering the team when they won all those championships i
Kerry
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a first-rate sports book. If I wanted to introduce a bookish friend to MLB and/or the Yankees, this would be a great selection. Thankfully this is not a player memoir, memoirs are so often full of personal anecdotes and tedious evaluations of a player's vices and virtues that they often reveal very little about baseball itself.

Olney's analysis of the Yankee organization is an exceptional look into all aspects of Yankee baseball. He goes back to 1996 when the Yankees became World Series
Josh
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasure, especially for the Yankee haters in the world.
Evan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a baseball fan, I was going to read this regardless of team. As a Red Sox fan, though, I expected more about the "cost of greatness" as mentioned in the title. This was more of a book that dedicated chapters to heralding individual players like Jeter, Rivera, Soriano, Clemens, etc but didn't talk too much about why the team had a dip in success after 2004. This makes sense, I suppose, since the framework of the book is based around one particular game. However, this can make for a grueling re ...more
Jack Connolly
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well paced and executed with great research. A dynasty we will probably never again see in our lifetime. Definitely a must read, not just for Yankee fans. A great book by someone who clearly loves the sport of Baseball. I felt like I was watching a documentary in my head as I read this, the visuals he paints are very well done. Very solid book!
RJ Corby
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Sinner
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
2004 CASEY Award nominee
Briefly: Well-woven narrative

Falling into the sub-genre of “story of this team,” The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty represents the near peak of what one can hope from such a book. The plot is essentially Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, woven with repeated flashbacks and side-stories. The interplay between Game 7 and these flashbacks takes place in such a way that the narrative never drags. It’s a tightly paced page-turner throughout.

Partly, Olney succeeds by having a c
  • Living on the Black
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • October Men: Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978
  • Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball
  • Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-Stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds
  • Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig
  • Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life
  • The Bad Guys Won!
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron
  • Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History
  • The Yankee Years
  • October 1964
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Fantasyland: True Tales from America's Most Compulsive Fantasy Baseball League