Start by marking “The Authenticity Project” as Want to Read:
The Authenticity Project

The Authenticity Project

"A clever, uplifting book that entertains and makes you think."
--Sophie Kinsella, #1 New York Times bestselling author

The story of a solitary green notebook that brings together six strangers and leads to unexpected friendship, and even love

Julian Jessop, an eccentric, lonely artist and septuagenarian believes that most people aren't really ho
Hardcover
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Pamela Dorman Books

To ask other readers questions about The Authenticity Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Authenticity Project

Start your review of The Authenticity Project
Toni
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Great characters, whose lifestories I found both relatable and entertaining, and a lovely, engaging style- I was drawn in from the first pages and couldn't put down the book until I discovered how the little green notebook tied the lives of these strangers together.
Full review to come closer to the publication date- February 4th, 2020.
Thank you to Edelweiss and Pamela Dorman for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Tara Weiss
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Hollywood: I think this one would make a great movie, so get on that please!

1. Amazingly crafted, colorful, relatable characters with of-the-moment problems.
2. Cinematic filming locations with strong visuals: London, Thailand, maybe a bit of Australia
3. Romance, love, longing . . . relationships of all kinds!
4. A strong message about what it means to be real; this is a message WE NEED TO HEAR.
5. Full spectrum of human emotion from multigenerational points of view ...more
Ellen
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read, a true feel good story about a group of people who find each other. Julian starts writing in a notebook he titles, The Authenticity Project, in which he asks questions such as who really knows their neighbors, or the truth about people around them? Telling his own story, he leaves the notebook to be written in, and it is after Monica finds it in her cafe. Writing her true feelings, the book continues on as more characters are added, and they end up forming a circle of f ...more
Dawn
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an utterly charming book revolving around the lives of five people living in London: Julien, an older artist who lost his wife, Monica, a cafe owner, Hazard, an addict, Allison, a new mom and Instagram influencer, and Riley, a visitor from Australia.

The book begins as Julien writes frankly about his loneliness and leaves the book at the cafe for Monica to find and continue. Soon all the characters are coming together in interesting and fun ways.

The writing is easy to read a
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, for-j
This book has a fantastic cast of characters. The chapters alternate between them, so you feel like you really know them all. The topic of authenticity is woven throughout the entire book, and would provide great fodder for a book club discussion. This could easily be a standalone book, but I also see room for a sequel and hope the author decides to write one!

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on February 4, 2020.
Rachel Marks
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is the perfect balance of warmth and wit. Cleverly written, it made me laugh out loud in lots of places and made me feel all warm and fuzzy in others. I loved the idea that is explored about the way people present an image and what's really hidden underneath that and the way all the characters linked through the authenticity project. Definite shades of classic Richard Curtis - I highly recommend.
Molly Riportella
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the vein of other London-centric pop fiction such as Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and The Cactus, Clare Pooley's first novel (following 2017 memoir The Sober Diaries...) will capture the hearts of readers who value characters that reflect the earnestness and hope they wish to see in the world.

Julian is a widower and career artist in his golden years that yearns not just for human connections, but relationships with people that embrace their truths, even if it hurts. Julian
Cheryl
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Just put this title down and I loved it! What a great story and a great cast of characters. I really enjoyed the love, kindness, and strangers coming together.
Trish
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A novel about authenticity, how timely! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are flawed but likeable, the premise is flawed but believable, and the story restores one's faith in the goodness of the human heart.
Rinette
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the beautifully drawn characters. I felt as if i had known each one of them forever. The diary exchange element adds to the incredible charm of this gentle and heartwarming novel which made me believe in the generosity of humankind again. The artist stole my heart.
Stephanie Crowe
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley
Charming and delightful! And with a healthy dose of genuineness! This is a great feel good book! I was entranced by the characters whom I came to care about! Of course, Julian started it all with THE BOOK! There certainly is some truth to his questions that relate to all of us and promote reflection! I was engaged at the first page and couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen to all of those who came across his book! You’ll come to love Monica,
Laurie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad Netgalley offered an ARC of this title to librarians because I really enjoyed reading the story. The characters are very interesting and I enjoyed seeing how their lives became intertwined due to The Authenticity Project. Also, I also like the exploration of the concept of authenticity -- how we view ourselves, how we want other people to see us, and how we see the other people through our own particular lenses. Great read -- will be recommending it to my local library system for purcha ...more
Beverly Carmichael
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Julian leaves his notebook with his private thoughts in Monica's Café, it is picked up by one person after another. They each leave an honest opinion of their life and their most private thoughts. What if they told the truth? It inspires each of them to try to help the others. They all meet up in Monica's Café, become friends and even find love. Charming story of caring for people you don't really know.
Mama K
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A random green notebook encourages six strangers to bare their souls.
Interesting concept and the book is compared to Eleanor Olyphant. Though cute and light, this book comes nowhere close to Eleanor Olyphant. But still a cute read for a Sunday afternoon.
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Josie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the advanced reading copy of this book, that my library received. I really enjoyed this book, and finished it in a few short days. It is a fresh concept. There are certainly lots of topics a book club could discuss. I am going to recommend it for our next community read. As other reviewers have mentioned, this would make a great movie or Netflex series. It is also set up at the end for a sequel. I have passed this on to a fellow librarian who I think will also give this a thumbs up.
RaLynn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Things aren't always what they seem! This book was enjoyable to read and had interesting characters who ended up in interesting situations! I loved how the characters ended up intertwined and became a part of each other's lives, making them all the better for it! While I do feel the ending was a bit abrupt in a way, I enjoyed the journey with these characters!
Dalaine
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of those books that keeps you thinking long after you turn the last page. A must-read for anyone living in the digital age where, despite all the things keeping us connected, we're more lonely than ever.
Eve
3.5/5
Jenn
Oct 30, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc, dnf
DNF. Not for me.
Julie Barnard
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Good characters, but not a great story.
Ned