Start by marking “Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)” as Want to Read:
Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)

Age of Legend

(The Legends of the First Empire #4)

Each culture has its own myths and legends, but only one is shared, and it is feared by all.

With Age of Myth, Age of Swords, and Age of War, fantasy master Michael J. Sullivan riveted readers with a tale of unlikely heroes locked in a desperate battle to save mankind. After years of warfare, humanity has gained the upper hand and has pushed the Fhrey to the edge of their
Expected publication: July 9th 2019 by Grim Oak Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• Age of Legend by Michael J. Sullivan
    Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
    Release date: Jul 09, 2019
    Win a SIGNED hardcover of one of Goodread's Hottest Fantasy Books of the Summer before its release day!

Each culture has its own myths and legends, but

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 3769 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 01 - Jun 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Age of Legend, please sign up.
    Michael We are shooting for April 2019 (which will be 9 months after Age of War). Our hope is to release all three remaining books in a year and a half so the…moreWe are shooting for April 2019 (which will be 9 months after Age of War). Our hope is to release all three remaining books in a year and a half so the current release schedule is:

Age of Legend: April 2019
    Age of Death: October 2019
    Age of Empyre: April 2020

I'm also glad you gave it a chance. Thanks for the kind words!

To make that schedule I need to do the final tweaks, beta reading, and all the editing in short order. But I think it is doable. In many ways the series is two 3-book closely related arcs. So I'd rather have a little more time between War and Legend and shorter times between Legend, Death, and Empyre.(less)
    Michael It depends. And the answer is kinda long, but here goes. So, originally Del Rey bought the first half of the series, and they tend to like to release…moreIt depends. And the answer is kinda long, but here goes. So, originally Del Rey bought the first half of the series, and they tend to like to release the books one a year. When it came time to negotiate for the second half of the series, we ran into a road block. You see, Penguin Random House (the parent company of Del Rey) had change in policy regarding "required rights." Previously they would "like to have" audio rights, but if they couldn't get them they would still write a contract. But with the new policy they absolutely will not buy a book where the audio rights are not available. Since I had previously sold the audio rights for all six books, that meant that the last three books were essentially locked out.

Once this was discovered, I started looking for publishers who don't require audio rights (which pretty much took out all of the big-five), and I negotiated a deal with Kensington Publishing (the largest non big-five publisher). While we have a "deal memo" for them to publish the books, we still don't have anything signed. I would have liked for them to put out the books on a six month schedule, they wanted to follow what Del Rey was doing (1 a year). I finally got a compromise from them where their first book (book #4) would be 1 year from book #3 but then the last two would come out more quickly.

So if the deal does get signed the release dates for the books will be:

Age of Legend (Book #4) - July 2019
    Age of Death (Book #5) - March 2020
    Age of Empire (Book #6) - October 2020

But, if we can't get this thing signed and put to bed, I'll go back to my original desired release dates which is every 6 months. So that would mean.

Age of Legend (Book #4) - Dec 2018
    Age of Death (Book #5) - July 2019
    Age of Empire (Book #6) - Dec 2019(less)

Michael
    Jul 26, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    As people may know, I don't write reviews of my own books, but I do use this space to update people on status...so here I am.

June 12, 2019: The hardcover books have arrived! I went to our warehouse and signed a bunch of copies, and Robin added them to our store. So, if you want signed copies of the latest book - and get them signed as well. Come and get them!

May 29, 2019: I can't believe how long it's been since my last update, and I apologize for the lack of communication. Part of the problem i
    TS Chan
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A brilliant sequel which fulfilled my eager anticipation and high expectations, Age of Legend takes the First Empire series to the next level of greatness with the promise of a showstopper by its finale.

Age of Legend is structurally different from the continuous narrative in the preceding three volumes. This book has three sections; the first part is the shortest which deals with the immediate aftermath of the battle at Alon Rhist. The second section takes place one year after that, and there wi
    Claudia
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    My first time to the author’s Kickstarter project and I must say I’ll be a regular one from now on because I got to read this book three months before its official publication. Yey!

Sullivan’s books are like a cozy nook for me: comfortable, relaxing and mood improving, with extra bonuses such as joy, laugh and a great feeling overall.

This fourth installment makes no exception; I missed this universe and I’m thrilled two more books are following.

Unlike the previous volumes, this one ends with a cl
    Terence
    May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The war rages on until it reaches a stalemate. Persephone tries to forge a peace only to see her ambassador betrayed and taken captive. An unlikely group seeks a legend in order to save their friend.

Age of Legend is an enjoyable book, but I just don't see how they could end it where they did. Worst of all it caught me completely off guard because I was only 86% of the way through the book according to my Kindle. I can't believe I have to wait another year at minimum to learn what happens next. T
    Audrey
    Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, 2019-books
    Beta read: Jan to Feb 2019
    Gamma read: April 2019

Me picking up a Michael Sullivan book:

The truth is that everyone can achieve greatness, but many don’t try because they think of themselves as merely ordinary.

This six-book series is sub-divided into two three-book arcs. This is the beginning of the second arc, which means the story heads into a very unexpected direction and has a bit of a cliffhanger. However, the next two books should be out rather quickly.

This volume focuses the most on
    Bradley
    Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
    The good:

If you have been enjoying the Legends of the First Empire so far, you're probably going to enjoy this and the newish direction it takes. In a very positive way, it is more of the same with many of the same characters, dealing with the aftermath of the big blow-out of the previous book and learning how to move forward. Brin gets a lot of page-time and I, for the most part, enjoyed these parts more than the rest. Writing about writing is fun.

The bad, or rather, the indifferent:

I just coul
    Tim
    OK I am definitely weak, yes I was a Kickstarter backer and I thought I could wait for the actual physical release of Age of Legend. But I guess not as I just went through the book this weekend. I mean what else was I going to do after a blizzard rolled through and dumped nearly 2 feet of snow and stranding us in...

********* WARNING THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS OF THE PRIOR BOOKS AHEAD ***********

[and I will try to keep other spoilers to a minimum since well this is still nearly 3 months prior to of
    Maja Ingrid
    Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fantasy, the-faves
    4,5 stars

I. NEED. AGE. OF. DEATH. NOW!

- - -

No spoilers, just short rant, because that's what I do best.

Okay, so it's been some hours since i finished the book and I've been trying to, and failing, to gather my thoughts. It was a solid 4 through most of it, but the ending had me in pieces so bumped it up 0,5 stars and rounded up to a 5. It will likely remain at 5 because I'm still all over the place about it. It's not my favourite of the books, on the third place actually but it still deserves t
    Hillary
    Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    After burning through all the of these in a week, I am a bit crushed that I must now wait. Time to reread the Royce and Hadrian escapades...
    Calley Odum
    Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Edit: I helped to fund the Kickstarter, so I have access to the ebook format. Told myself I would wait for the print. Didn’t happen.

Obsessed?

Me?

Never.

But yes, I finished this book in less than 24 hours, so maybe.

This 4th installment is VERY different from the previous books in the series, both in content and style.

First, There are a few year/multi year time jumps, which is... hmmm. It’s necessary, I think, given the time period and methods of warfare, to show how much of a slog war can be. Bu
    Scott Pare
    Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I loved it.

The only thing I have to say I didn't like . . .

IT WAS TOO SHORT.

I'm proud to have supported Michael in self-funding this book though and look forward to the next book in the series.
    Rachael
    Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Intense ending to a fun book! Even forewarned of a cliffhanger it was still shocking. Also the whole book was wonderful and well done. Definitely 100% interesting. Great pacing, great characters. Not perfect (not enough Persephone!) and definitely very ambitious but I’m such a sucker for this world and I’m thrilled that each installment gets better and better. I can see readers having difficulty with the time jumps. But the war is LONG and I don’t want to read 5 years with no forward progress, s ...more
    Jess
    Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Not my favorite installment to the series but really good nonetheless. The pacing felt really fast and the (cliffhanger) ending snuck up on me before I knew it, so obviously now I'm dying for the next book!
    Jonas
    Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    Beta read, temporary review. The score I'm giving is for the book on its own. The book within the series is alas my least favorite so far, within the series it will have to be a 3/5, but that doesn't mean this is a bad book. In comparison to the others I found the delivery to be a bit lacking, I didn't feel satisfied when I finished the book. I think just one chapter more would have done it for me.
    The story itself is a buildup to 2 separate events, both of which get answered in a way but leave
    Wulf Krueger
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 0_wk_read_2019
    Time had sneaked in and stolen her recklessness.

Michael J. Sullivan has done it again: He has written a book that doesn’t need to hide behind any other work in contemporary fantasy. His latest masterpiece, Age of Legend, the Kickstarter of which I had the honour to participate in, begins after the Battle of Grandford at the end of the previous book, Age of War.

This makes “Age of Legend” the fourth book in Michael’s “The Legends of the First Empire” series which I whole-heartedly recommend t
    Vigasia
    May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I give this book 4 stars not five, because most of action in the later parts is basen on one very stupid decision. And as most as I love all the characters, it's too obvious how easily all of what happened could be avoided. I can't write more to not spoil anything, but the main event leading to the adventure of our heroes seemed to me to be written this way only for them to have a reason to go into danger and it bothered me a little.

Despite this one issue I still really liked this book. It's har
    Kati
    May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4/5

This was another excellent addition to the Legends series, but it did fall short of the other novels. I think it would have landed better with me to have a shorter novella bridging 3 and 4 since there was such a time gap early on in the book. The jump hurt my immersion in the world and made some of the character developments feel hollow. (view spoiler)
    Koeur
    May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Rating: 4.4/5

Review: It is interesting, at least to me, how all of the reviews that are 3 stars or less have no written content. Takes me back to the time I was a Beta reader for team Sullivan; when if you are more than honest about the content, you are summarily dismissed. As a lot of effort and time goes into Beta reading any expectations about receiving summary novels in the series are quickly quashed by the lack. Self-centered doesn’t quite describe that behavior but I suck too with having a
    Ron
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, maps, ebook
    “Suri sat alone with a sword across her lap, staring at what most would call a dragon, but which the onetime mystic of Dahl Rhen saw as a fragment of her broken heart.”

The opening of a monumental work. As Sullivan explains in his Author’s Note, this book opens a trilogy similar to the three volumes of Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. The comparison is both apt and misleading. Apt because the struggle described is both intimate and cosmic, and misleading because Elan is a very different world than M
    Alex
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Gamma reader over here.

I’ve been enjoying Michael J. Sullivan’s work since I sampled The Death of Dulgath a few years ago. I’m ashamed to say that I still haven’t caught up on all of Royce and Hadrian’s adventures, and this is only my second Legends of the First Empire book. I read Age of War last year, also as a gamma reader. Predictably, since it was the third of a planned six-book series, it was a slightly overwhelming and confusing experience without any prior knowledge of the plot or charac
    Will Todd
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Over the last week, I have had the privilege of gamma reading Michael's latest installment of the First Empire series. Admittedly, I found the previous two novels somewhat lacking...and I'm not quite sure what wasn't clicking with me. I am starting to think it was because books 2&3, while interesting, are building blocks to get to the meat of the story. I won't assign fault to that at all. But let me tell you, Age of Legend definitely leaves you chewing on some wonderfully marbled meat.

Befo
    Michael
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    This book isn't the best in the series to date...but it was definitely a necessary installment. It covers a lot of ground quickly and we were pre-warned that it skips ahead a number of years, which I think made the book feel like it was over too soon. Besides this, it was great to see our favourite characters grow and the world of Elan expand. You can tell there's still a lot to happen and I'm glad the last two books will be coming out in quick succession! And that ending.... sooo intense!!
    Chad Harrison
    May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy-fine
    I'm always amazed by Michael J. Sullivan's books. There's something about the things that he chooses to focus on that irritates me. In the First Empire series it's, for some reason, ridiculous explanations of how a couple of people invented everything, from writing to archery to individual English words. It's just a side thing that pops up every once in a while, but man it gets on my nerves, and it makes the book lose a star. (Michael, I know how active you are on Goodreads, so if you're reading ...more
    Phillip Olive
    Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Great book, though he totally left it on a cliff hanger, I hope to be reading book 5 very very soon.
    Matthew
    May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    As usual, I'm drawn into the world and characters created by Sullivan and am left wanting more.
    Pete Vagiakos
    Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You had to use that kind of ending, didn't you Michael... Easy 5 stars; setting up bigger things and answers start appearing in the horizon. I likey.
    Jesper Pettersen
    Once again I'm pulled wholehearted and headfirst into the Legends of the First Empire, and what a truly wonderful read this was! And as usual with Michaels books, there was laughter, suspense, anger, revelations and one or two (very manly) tears shed in the process.

Even though I was aware of the potential of a cliffhanger ending....wow, just wow!

Got this e-book as a backer of the Kickstarter, and can't wait to sign up for the next installment: Age of Death.

Katherine
    Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Another entertaining fantasy novel by Michael J. Sullivan. I enjoy his writing and am eager for him to publish more books.
    Chris Robinson
    May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Age of Legend continues a story set at the beginning of the realm that eventually becomes the setting for the Ryria chronicles. Unlike most prequel series that I've come across this particular origin story is interesting and entertaining. The characters are deep and intriguing, each voice different from each other and different from its earlier written sequel. This book in particular was no exception to that. As always Sullivan writes interesting dynamics between his characters, relationships an ...more
    Marie
    May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    I swear I'd only just gotten invested in the story when it ended *sigh*. Kindle books can be deceiving because without looking ahead one can't really know when it's going to end. This book was one such surprise - ending with a major cliff hanger at 86%. I don't really mind cliffhangers though some are harder to deal with then others. In this case it was more like - well, that happened ... rather then Nooooo! when is the next book coming out! I will definitely read on but even here in book four a ...more
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sullivan - Age of Legend [July 16, 2019] 10 39 Jun 11, 2019 07:27AM

• Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
    • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
    • A Little Hatred
    • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
    • Untitled (The Band, #3)
    • The Olympian Affair (The Cinder Spires, #2)
    • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
    • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
    • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
    • Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
    • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
    • Walk in Shadow (The Kharkanas Trilogy #3)
    • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
    • Untitled (The Wakening, #2)
    The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) Giveaway is live! ENTER NOW for a signed and/or dedicated copy.

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter keys while pla

The Legends of the First Empire (6 books)
    • Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
    • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
    • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
    • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
    • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire #6)
    “The dwarf?” Malcolm paused and thought a moment. “Well, I wasn’t referring to him specifically. But now that you bring it up, I should point out that you run the risk of painting a whole race with the same ugly brush, which could have unexpected consequences in the future.” 0 likes
    “Pain, fear, drudgery, boredom, lots of boredom—these are the things that build character. And you need to experience loss and remorse because falling down gives you the opportunity to rise once more. Overcoming challenges turns a self-centered infant into a caring adult. Empathy—the ability to understand and appreciate the feelings of others—is the cornerstone of civilization and the foundation of our relationships. Lack of it . . . well, lack of empathy is as close to a definition of evil that I can come up with.” 0 likes