Start by marking “The Darkest Hour Anthology: WWII Tales of Resistance” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Hour Anthology: WWII Tales of Resistance

The Darkest Hour Anthology: WWII Tales of Resistance

WW2. When the world falls to terror and tyranny reigns…

...how far would you go to resist?

Would you risk your own life or the lives of the ones you love?

Kindle Edition
Published January 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Hour Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Hour Anthology

Ellie Midwood
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I know that authors aren’t supposed to review their own books but since it’s an anthology and I’m reviewing my co-authors’ stories, I thought it would be ok:) What impressed me the most about each story was how they each read as a separate novel despite technically being novellas, and how each author managed to not only introduce sympathetic characters whom I actively rooted for but also brilliantly presented each plotline without it being rushed. Some novellas are more action-packed than the ot ...more
Ginger Miller
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book. I enjoyed every story written. I will admit to being very partial to "Enemy at the Gate ". I am a huge fan of Mary D Brooks and her Intertwined Souls series and especially the character of Zoe. Very well done by everyone involved and a major pat on the back for allowing proceeds to benefit the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
Yolanda Olson
My review is based on Killing the Hangman by Ellie Midwood.

From the very first page, I was gripped. Ellie has a way of telling a story that puts you right into the moment and you can see everything as it happens. That's not a talent that many people have, but Ellie is at the very top of that talent list.

This story is about two best friends who are given such an important mission, and while one second guesses himself the whole way, he knows that what he does has to be done for the greater good.
Dustin

Synopsis courtesy of Amazon:

When the world falls to terror and tyranny reigns…

...how far would you go to resist?

Would you risk your own life or the lives of the ones you love?

From a young Jewish woman in love fighting her way out of the Warsaw ghetto, to a Czech assassin rising above his fears for an attempt on a Nazi Hangman’s life, to a daughter who vows to avenge her family by taking down a Japanese commander, and a French boy's touching act of defiance no matter how small.

Come and get a gli
The Just-About-Cocky Ms M
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Are you kidding me?
Recommended to The Just-About-Cocky Ms M by: The usual misplaced Goodreads hype.
I do not see a single reason for the plethora of five-star reviews on Amazon, other than the bar for WWII historical fiction has literally sunk beneath the waves, and some readers, mostly female, just adore any WWII tale featuring a feisty young heroine daring all sorts of--improbable--odds, usually with a man in the background.

As with all anthologies, there are one or two decent stories, and the rest are generally trash. The all-time winner of the pure crap award is Bubbe's Nightingale, bad bey
R
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is for Enemy at the Gate by Mary D Brooks. This was an interesting read about the Italian and German invasion of Greece during the WWII period of April 12, 1941-1942. It was told through the eyes of 13 year old Zoe Lambros. After having endured the lost of her father and brothers, Zoe was determined to be part of the Resistance like her idol, Laskarina Bouboulina.
If you read the Intertwine Soul series, then this is great background information on how Zoe joined the Resistance and her
Mary Yarde
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were those who refused to bow down to tyranny, but not all of them wore uniforms. Some of them were ordinary people from different walks of life. These brave few risked everything, including their lives and the lives of those they loved. Some acts of defiance were small — chalking the letter “V” onto walls. Others, hid those who were persecuted. A few took up arms, and they died fighting for their country, for their compatriots, and for themselves. These men, woman and sometimes children a ...more
Katinka
This collection of novellas written by a group of authors has created a very powerful collection of WWII stories for the readers to enjoy. Each story evokes quite the collection of images that stand out in their own way from each other. Each story is as good or better than the one before it. I had a hard time putting this book down to sleep at night, but I cannot regret any sleep lost while reading these amazing tales.

Some of these stories left me crying, while others were very inspiring in thei
Ffion
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
My review is based on The Occupation by Deborah Swift, and Catriona's War by Jean Grainger.

The Occupation by Deborah Swift
The Occupation tells the story of Céline Huber, who lives through the occupation of Jersey during the war. With a German husband and a Jewish best friend, she finds herself pulled in two directions with dramatic consequences.

Although I've never visited Jersey, I felt as though I was there with Céline as I read the beautiful descriptions of the island's lush landscape. It was
Judy Porter
Very highly recommend this anthology on WWII. Ten great stories. Griping. Tense
Betty
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I read a book start to finish without stopping, life happens. But this book is one of those rare times when I couldn’t put the book down. As Shayna visits her grandmother in the nursing home she learns the truth about her grandmother’s life. She learns how her grandmother was raised an Orthodox Jew but became a Zionist with the help of Azriel. I love the way Azriel guides Bubbe into being a Zionist without putting her down about the way she believes as an Orthodox Jew. This book touche ...more
Marina Osipova
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Masterfully crafted. Tremendous

Killing the Hangman by Ellie Midwood is full of intrigue and despair that the story of the assassination of the infamous Reinhard Heydrich has to offer. Superbly researched, engrossing, highly suspenseful, it kept me captivated through the whole story, opening up new insights on a man and a topic I thought I already knew.
I heartily recommend it to the WWII buffs and the general reader interested in the period.
The Just-About-Cocky Ms M
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Are you kidding?
Recommended to The Just-About-Cocky Ms M by: Masochism
OK, I admit I haven't had this much fun with an anthology since reading and reviewing the misbegotten collection of 2015 tales allegedly celebrating the Waterloo bicentennial.

You will excuse me, I'm certain, for stating that I do not see a single reason for the plethora of five-star reviews here and on on Amazon, other than that the bar for WWII historical fiction has literally sunk beneath the waves, and some readers, mostly female, just adore any WWII tale featuring a feisty young heroine dari
Pam
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Darkest Hour by Roberta Kagan and Jean Grainger is an anthology of fiction stories of the fate of the inhabitants of various towns during the Holocaust. Most of the stories are purely fiction, although some are based on truth. One of the stories, The Occupation, is very definitely is based on a true story. In fact, they give you a link to a different website which has the true story of the women who are in the story. The purpose of the book is to show that the trend in Holocaust fiction is “ ...more
Dianne Boadle
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read. I thoroughly enjoyed these stories I was looking for more when I finished reading the stories. It was unbelievable how cruel the Germans and Japanese where during WW11 and how brave the resistance people where. So much so I have purchased the book so I have a hard copy
Debbie Trammell
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories.

Several of the Authors I had read a enjoyed their works. A couple were new! I plan to read more by the New Authors. The stories were all very exciting and thought provoking. I will recommend this book!
Saskia
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten bestselling historical fiction authors have come together to provide a glimpse at the invisible side of WW2 - the Resistance.
The Hangman

This is Ellie Midwoods contribution and it shows the brave story of Jan and Josef, two Czech resistance members tasked with the mission to kill Reinhard Heydrich. It is told from a duo POV. We see the story unfold by Jan and Reinhard. We get a glimpse into he lives and feelings of both men.

It is story that you will read with goosebumps all over your body. I
Eva Lehmann-Bauer
I am only reviewing one story which is Ellie Midwood’s ‘Killing the Hangman’ . I received ‘The Darkest Hour’ in Midwood’s ARC team. I may leave reviews for the others at a later date.

I’ve read ALOT of books about Heydrich’s assassination attempt, most say all the same thing, but Ellie had this way of putting a different view on it. It was a fresh look at a throughly written subject. I would recommend it and give it five stars. ⭐
Charlene
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Bubbes Nightingale by Roberta Kagan and will be adding to this review as I read the rest of the stories.
Bubbes Nightingale by Roberta Kagan: I loved this book. It is heart wrenching. The story captures you on the very first page. In Warsaw Poland the Jews are waiting to be killed by the Nazi. The resistence, Zionists, wanting their own homeland, are willing to fight to the death. Shayna's grandmother Ruchel tells her the story of her life in the Warsaw Ghetto. So much detail in such a sho
Marlene  Moore
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the stories in this collection is "Reluctant Informer". This story will keep you reading until the end because there is so much going on that you don't want to stop reading until you know how it ends. I know that what went on in WWII can be pretty horrific. This story shows you just how horrible it was and how good humans were put in some very impossible situations. This was an amazing story of the strength of love and doing what is right. Strongly recommend this book.
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My review is based on Ellie Midwood’s Killing The Hangman. She has such an amazing craft to keep you hooked that you can’t stop reading. I’m a huge fan of her stories and they always keep me coming back for more! What a great read!
Texas
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Grainger, Catriona's War -

If you enjoyed Ms. Grainger's book So Much Owed, you'll enjoy this novella. Well written and well thought out, this little story about WWII, France and Britain is intriguing and suspense filled.

The characters are interesting and realistic, and their dialog is believable. This is a lovely story with many story lines about that interesting time in history and the heroes that did what they had to do. 4*
Heather Cash
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WW 11

I have read several books by Roberta Kagan and this was the first with several other authors included. Well worth the read.
Joseph
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed 90% of the stories. Some of the stories were great. I highly recommend this book.
Carissa Lynch
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible anthology - I enjoyed all of the stories immensely. They were well-researched and enjoyable. Killing the Hangman by Ellie Midwood was one of the best short stories I've ever read. It had me glued to the edge of my seat! Historical fiction fans - this is one you absolutely cannot miss. And it's for a great cause!
Liza Perrat
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of resistance stories; each one gripping in its own way ... full review to come.
S.R. Mallery
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***** Great Reading!

Although I intend on reading all of the books included in this fabulous set, this review is based on the two authors I have already read and admired–– Roberta Kagan and Ellie Midwood.

BUBBE’S NIGHTINGALE by Roberta Kagan
Who says we can’t learn lessons from our elders? Shayna Bender, a conflicted woman not wanting children and about to be divorced by her husband, certainly does. When she visits her grandma––her Bubbe––she is told about the old woman’s past. And what a past it
Mary Spanabel-weber
The Darkest Hour

I enjoyed this book so much that I was sad when it ended! I love WWII stories about resistance told by many voices!
Gail Wright
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolute escapism

The best short stories about WW2 I have ever read. Each one is different but make you feel as if it is drawing you in to the war and the people. I just shut out the world when I was reading it. The only negative is that I am finished with it. Very heart stopping and suspenseful.
Sandra
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading 'Bubbe's Nightingale by Roberta Kagan and hesitate to say "I loved it" because how could one love such a sad, dark story based on horrific events in our world history; however I loved how personal and realistic the author made this story in my eyes. The characters came alive for me and I could easily picture Ruchel and her parents rushing around their home trying to pack up a small amount of valuables to take with them. I could see them crowded into the ghetto house with anoth ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • 魔法使いの嫁 10 [Mahou Tsukai no Yome 10] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #10)
  • The Ballad of Tam Lin (Legends of Divine Feminine)
  • Defiance
  • Beauty and the Beast: Diary of a Film
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no Shoujo 6] (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, #6)
  • Speak the Ocean
  • Dove Isabeau
  • Officer Factory
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Bravest Knight
I’m an American writer of Jewish and Romany decent. I write Historical Fiction and Historical Romance, most of which is set during the holocaust. Although I never discount the horrors of the time period, the main focus of my work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Facebook Author page: