Start by marking “Here There Are Monsters” as Want to Read:
Here There Are Monsters

Here There Are Monsters

The Blair Witch Project meets Imaginary Girls in this story of codependent sisterhood, the struggle to claim one’s own space, and the power of secrets

Sixteen-year-old Skye is done playing the knight in shining armor for her insufferable younger sister, Deirdre. Moving across the country seems like the perfect chance to start over.

In their isolated new neighborhood, Skye
Published August 6th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Here There Are Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here There Are Monsters

Start your review of Here There Are Monsters
megs_bookrack
THIS COVER!!!

Picking this one up soon. It sounds so darkly delicious!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“How many times do you have to rescue somebody before they figure out how to save themselves?”

I should have paid more attention to my friends’ ratings on this one, but there are only so many covers that allow you to pull dead shit off your walls for a photo moment . . . . .

100% honesty here – that cover is the only redeeming quality this book has. The rest?????

The story is about Skye, an average 16-year old who was looking
Brittany
3 stars!

"What is it with you guys and the end of the world?" I asked. "Its just interesting," William said. "Like, everyone has to show their true colors. Everyone knows who they really are at the end of the world. No more bullshit."

Here There Are Monsters was gripping from the very start. This was a story about how easy it can be to get wrapped up in your own fantasy, and have trouble deciphering what's real and what's not. How nightmares can become reality if you allow yourself to go
MissBecka
I really enjoyed the first 150 pages of this one, but then it took a turn to fuckedupville.
It was like reading two different books shoved into one spine.
Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for my ARC received at BookCon.
Tammie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-dark, ya-books
A solid 4 stars. Here There Are Monsters was a creepy/dark read. The book centers around teen sisters Deirdre and Skye. After moving across the country for a fresh start, the family settles in a house located in a remote neighborhood. Things seem to go well at first-Skye makes new friends at her school and Deirdre enjoys being outside, enjoying nature. However, Deirdre, considered the “weird kid” for most of her life, withdrawals from her family and starts spending most of her time outside in ...more
Ellen Gail
Gorgeous cover. Total bummer inside.

Here There Are Monsters sounded like it would be right up my alley. A dangerous and unhealthy relationship between sisters, things that go bump in the night. That's all I knew about it beforehand, but what else do you need to hook me? There was even a great tagline!

They took my sister.
I'll take her back.

It was so promising! Sadly, all that promise went down in a blaze of hodgepodge pacing, unlikable characters, and lackluster atmosphere.

Let's start with a
Acqua
Strange Grace meets The Wicker King, but duller, more hopeless, and unnecessarily heterosexual. If you’ve followed me for a while, you might know that I loved Amelinda Bérubé’s debut, The Dark Beneath the Ice, for being an introspective, chilling horror story about mental illness, portrayed with a care that I don’t always trust the horror genre to have. Here There Are Monsters, however, didn’t resonate emotionally with me at all.

This was… I’m not sure what it was. On the surface, it’s a horror
Katie Gallagher
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For this review and others, check out my blog.
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a free advanced reader copy of Here There Are Monsters for an honest review.

This was a total binge-read. The book presents a main character who has lost her sister—here, “lost” is used literally, as the MC’s sister has disappeared somewhere into the sprawling, ominous swampland behind their house. The language is surprisingly lyrical, atmosphere suffuses every scene, and the
Bark
I am going to DNF this one after reading the first section (roughly 100 or so pages). The cover is lovely. Breathtakingly creepy. But it's the contents that count. Unfortunately, I was attempting to read this novel at the same time I was reading Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand for the Ladies of Horror Fiction Goodreads Group and the two have too much in common but one was more engaging. And it wasn't this one.

The stories are both focused on sisters, creepy woods and missing girl(s) and they
Shaina
Siblings, sisters; a long running game of pretending with kingdoms, Queens, monsters, champions, keys, realms,& gates, has come to an end. Skye no longer wants to be the champion and her sister Deirdre’s willing partner in a long running game of pretend. She no longer wants to be her protector in real life for her strange ways.
With the new move, she just wants to forget the kingdoms, the keys, the things she did to keep her sister safe and try to have real friends. She needs to put the past
Tucker
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Edit (2): Well, someone was salty
Edit: I was denied an ARC by sourcebooks... fine, there loss ()︵
YASSS! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was so dull. I wish I had something better to say, but ultimately that was Here There Are Monsters ' biggest problem. While you spend the first half accepting the slow pace, assuming that the reasons for the absolutely nothing plot will be revealed in a scary second half, it just builds to nothing and ends as dull as it begins. There's basically no scare factor, and anything that had the chance to be scary is ruined by the plot and by the dull descriptions. I reserve my one star reviews ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
Well, that was not as I’d hoped. The ending is fairly awful, rushed and I feel a bit ripped off. RTC.
—————————————
—-pre-read comment
eARC approved! I’ve been in such a mood for dark, creepy and odd books so far this year. This one sounds like it meets that criteria.
Patty (IheartYA)
Overall I was not impressed. The writing was ok but the characters and atmosphere were dry. The story was confusing and disjointed. I do not enjoy leaving negative or harsh reviews but I don't have pleasant things to say about this book. I definitely won't remember reading it in a few months. It was weird and didn't make much sense. Two stars because of the writing style. Thank you to netgalley for the copy.
Catherine
Buddy read with Chelsea!

"It doesn’t matter how hard you dig your heels in and refuse to grow up; time marches on with or without you."

I know most people who read YA fantasy were more excited about the new Leigh Bardugo, the new Holly Black, the new Roshani Chokshi, the new Jay Kristoff etc, but for me, Here There Are Monsters was from the first time I saw that cover (one of my favorite covers ever) and read the summary one of my most anticipated 2019 releases. I couldn't wait for this book,
Dennis
I'm torn between 3 and 3 1/2 stars for Amelinda Bérubé's upcoming YA/horror Here There Are Monsters . I normally do not read young adult novels, because they are usually too campy or unbelievable for my liking, but I really enjoyed this one. Hence, it did not have the camp or unbelievable factors that I was expecting. Here There Are Monsters is a family drama/horror, and I kept thinking that this would be a perfect Netflix show while I was reading this. Seriously, Netflix call Ms. Bérubé ...more
Jerico
Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks Fire for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Grief and Violence

Before starting off this review (which might be composed later on with rants and other violent reactions), I'd like to share this with you all first thing. I HATE that I DIDN'T LOVE it, much less like it in the slightest bit. I'm kind of torn up that I hadn't
Latasha
Oct 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i did not like this book. the 2 sisters, Skye and Deirdre are both awful. i did enjoy the writing and how it was kinda flowery and really pretty. i like the cover too. so for those 2 reasons i would give this author another try.
Melissa
Creepy doesn't even begin to describe this book. My advice: don't read it before going to sleep. Because you won't sleep. More than once, I had to fight the urge to cover my eyes, so I couldn't see what was happening (yeah, I know, not really efficient while reading a book). I liked the weirdness of it, but it was so dark and twisted for a sixteen year old girl!

Many thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for the complimentary e-copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This was my first book by Amelinda Bérubé, so I didn't know what to expect. I don't read much horror anymore and I haven't read a lot of YA horror at all, so I feel like I had contrasting expectations from the end of this book, and it's hard to say whether they've been met or not. But let's start with the rest of the book before I talk about the ending.

I would describe
Jypsy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here There are Monsters is a creepy story. The cover caught my attention immediately. It's so macabre. The story itself was something I probably shouldn't have read. I found it truly unique and suspenseful, but it's also disturbing. The reality aspect, creepiness aside, is terrible. Imagine this for real. I read it and skimmed through some of it. It's well written and original. I just couldn't read it because it messed with me a little bit. If you like creepy menacing stories, this one is for ...more
Giselle
Really not into this one. DNFing at 48%. I've been really bored for the past little while. The characters are whiny and the whole imaginary fantasy world thing feels really childish, as if it was meant for younger YA readers. I could see 12-14yo enjoying it maybe. I decided to move on..
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
I was super intrigued by the premise of this novel, because even though I haven’t picked up many horror books lately, I love me a good mystery thriller, and this seemed like the perfect creepy and atmospheric read with a small town setting. But unfortunately I just didn’t click with this book at all, and I had to force myself to finish it so I could do a proper review.

I had two major issues with Here There Are Monsters that made me not enjoy it. The first one was regarding the plot. The plot (or
Schizanthus
“By wood, stone, water, and bone.”
That cover! It’s all kinds of creepy and intriguing. I’ve been look forward to reading this one for months.

Deidre has always lived in a world of fantasy, imagining elaborate kingdoms of queens, knights and monsters. Skye’s role as the Queen of Swords has always been to save Deidre but when they move to a new town that doesn’t know the sisters by reputation Skye sees a fresh start, a chance to have friends for once. Then Deidre disappears and Skye may have to
Kim Friant
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing cover!! Pretty much the main reason I got this book. The description sounded interesting as well, so lets do it! I think I got it . . . But I’m not sure. And I think that’s ok. I think this is one of those books that can be interpreted in many ways, depending on who is reading it. I found this to be a book about the difficulties of growing up and the coping mechanisms used to deal with stress and problems. I don’t want to go into any more details cuz I don’t want to ruin it for ...more
lucie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, in-english
This book brings a relationship between two sisters to a different level.
It was a fast and atmospheric read with a little bit confusing ending but still very enjoyable.
It felt to me like Pet Sematary meets The Raven Boys but I can be wrong and my comparison totally off the mark.
Brandy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the writing on this one, but the story fell flat towards the end

The setting of this story sounds interesting. Real monsters lurking in the woods and a girl who goes missing. I think I struggle with combining real world and fantasy so when it happens I have a harder time enjoying a book and you would think I would recognize I am like this and pick books based on this, but the cover of this book is so intriguing.

I didn’t really like any of the characters and I hate when this
Brooke
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
“By wood, stone, water, and bone.”

The Blair Witch Project meets Imaginary Girls in the story of codependent sisterhood. Skye is tired of playing the imaginary games of her younger sister, Deirdre, who simply refuses to grow up and “be normal”. When Deirdre disappears, something sinister scratches at Skye’s window and tells Skye she is the only one who can save her missing sister. Can she save Deirdre before it’s too late?

I thought this book would be “soft-horror”, but it was actually pretty
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
CW: physical assault, bullying, missing sibling, disfigurement, and general themes of horror

Last year, Bérubé caught my attention with her debut The Dark Beneath the Ice. While I didn't love it, I certainly was paying attention to whatever she was going to write next. And this one was a fantastic sophomore novel that just shows the progression of her skills.

Skye and Deirdre are sisters with a tense relationship, something that describes most sibling relationships. But, Deirdre is just... weird.
Erin A. Craig
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, loved this book! The relationship between the two sisters felt so real and true to life-- it was like remembering so many conversations my own sister and I had while growing up. The atmosphere and world building Bérubé created was quiet and lovely and so beautifully dark. The perfect read for a rainy afternoon!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Teeth in the Mist
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • Heartwood Box
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Missing Season
  • Resurrection Girls
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Summer Howl
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • All the Bad Apples
  • When The Light Went Out
  • Remember Me
  • The Bone Houses
  • Wilder Girls
  • His Hideous Heart
I write about ghosts and monsters and other things that go bump in the night. My books tend to include a liberal sprinkling of weird Canadiana and the occasional zombie metaphor.

I am an eternal fangirl for YA and SFF, but any book that makes me laugh, makes me cry, or creeps me out will have my heart forever. My very favorites tend to have a thinky, supernatural flavor and don't explain too much.
“Monsters were way more interesting to Deirdre than animals, even talking ones.” 1 likes
“Riding to her rescue was my job before I ever had to do it in real life.” 1 likes