Start by marking “Today We Go Home” as Want to Read:
Today We Go Home

Today We Go Home

Seattle, Washington. Larkin Bennett has always known her place, whether it’s surrounded by her loving family in the lush greenery of the Pacific Northwest, or riding on a dusty convoy in Afghanistan. But all that changed the day tragedy struck her unit and took away everything she held dear. Soon after, Larkin discovers an unexpected treasure: the diary of Emily Wilson, a ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Today We Go Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today We Go Home

Start your review of Today We Go Home
Kelli Estes
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book. 😊 I hope you like it!
Lisa Wolf
Today We Go Home took my breath away.

In this dual timeline novel, we follow two separate but interwoven and related threads. The main character in the contemporary timeline is Larkin Bennett, a US Army veteran who receives a medical discharge after being wounded in action in Afghanistan, now suffering from PTSD and the tremendous guilt she feels over the death of her best friend. And as Larkin explores her friends' personal effects, she finds a family treasure -- the diary of Emily Wilson, who f
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Landmark via NetGalley for the e-ARC of Today We Go Home in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own!

*omitted description for NetGalley, see blog link for full review!*

So everyone that knows me knows that I am a huge Civil War reader, and this book was an obvious choice for me. I have read a few nonfiction books about women in the war, but nothing from a fictional perspective.

I honestly didn't care much for Larkin, although she made a lot of excelle
Luce
4 STARS for this novel that centers on two women soldiers, one in present day and the other in the 1860s. It follows the paths of Larkin Bennett who is suffering from PTSD and severe survivor’s guilt after returning from Afghanistan and the other, Emily Wilson who in 1861, disguises herself as a man and joins the Union army to fight against the Confederates.

Larkin was given a medical discharge and on her way home to her grandmother’s in Washington state, she stops at the storage unit of her best
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars Thanks to BookBrowse and Sourcebooks Landmark for a chance to read this book. Published September 3, 2019

I really enjoyed this book. I had not read Estes before, but I know she had a prior book, that I will now secure and read.

In alternating chapters this book bounced back and forth between a current day, just discharged, female combat soldier having served in Afghanistan, and a young woman from the 1850's who disguised herself as a man to fight in the Civil War. The current veteran, La
Charlie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An eye-opener and an excellent read that I won on Goodreads.com. This is a story that will keep you interested all the way to the end. Two women and two different wars - years apart. What does a woman disguised as a man fighting during the Civil War have to do with a woman fighting in Afganistan? You'll find this interesting only if you read this book.
KC
Former military officer Larkin Bennett is back home in Washington, desperately trying to overcome the loss of her best friend Sarah. While struggling to recover from severe PTSD, she stumbles upon an old family diary of Sarah's dating back to the Civil War. What Larkin unearths within the pages is quite possibly what saves her life. Readers are presented with an in-depth look at the effects of war; from depression to survivors guilt, nightmares to addiction. Kelli Estes brilliantly honors, respe ...more
Swaroop Kanti
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Note: Thank you Kelli Estes, Sourcebooks Landmark and NetGalley for the preview copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

April 16, 1861 : Stampers Creek, Indiana

"Here she was, a woman, standing among men and serving her country."

Set in Indiana during the year 1861 and Seattle of the present times, this tale by Kelli Estes is interesting, engaging and meaningful. This is the story of Emily Wilson and Larkin Bennett.

This book is my attempt at righting the record and spreading the word
Emi Bevacqua
Intersecting stories about female war veterans: present-day Larkin Bennett copes with PTSD, grief and guilt over the death of her best friend Sarah, as well as her own dishonorable discharge in Afghanistan while reading the Civil War journal kept by an Emily Wilson who enlisted in Indiana's 9th Infantry by posing as a male Union soldier.

I loved reading author Kelli Estes's true voice in her Afterward, with her passionate respect, honor and defense of all women who serve in the military. I learn
Carolyn McBride
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was instantly grabbed by the cover of this book. The premise had me curious...between the two, I just had to read it. I'm so glad that I was able to read an ARC of this book, so thanks go to NetGalley, the publisher and the author.

The main plot of this story was pretty gripping in itself, I couldn't turn away from Larkin's struggle to heal. But then the secondary plot reeled me in too, and before I knew it, I'd read this in two sittings.
Damn real life for interrupting my reading time!
The chara
Karen KK
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Written in dual timelines, Larkin Bennett was wounded in Afghanistan and is now back home and recovering. At the start of the Civil War, Emily Wilson joins the fighting disguised as a man.

We get a look at the effects of war from the different eras and the side effects are very similar; from depression to survivors guilt, nightmares to addiction.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Okay, so her hair is completely out of regs...but I suppose I'll check this one out.
Donna Davis
I expected to love this book, and I wanted it to be great. The premise is terrific: Larkin, a wounded warrior home after falling apart while on tour in Afghanistan, finds the diary of Emily, a woman that fought in the American Civil War (albeit in drag.) It’s a cool idea, and between the feminist moxie and my enthusiasm for local writers, I was ready to be wowed. It didn’t work out that way, but my thanks still go to Net Galley and Sourcebooks Landmark for the review copy.

The contemporary cmpon
Susan
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having recently finished “Today We Go Home” by Kelli Estes, I am happy to have had the chance for the preview; thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks Landmark!

Using the discovery of a civil war diary as the bridge between; this was a well done story connecting the life of a woman fighting as a "male" soldier in the Civil War, and an injured and discharged soldier returning home from Afghanistan. Even though the pain and suffering were years apart, their stories and the trauma of war was devastating
Amy
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find myself wanting to copy/past much of my review of Estes's debut novel:
"It's hard to write a review for a book when you know for a fact the author shops at the same Costco you do..."

"Eh, it's OK, I guess..."

"It's an easy read in the sense that the writing is very simple, not particularly spectacular, and not particularly insightful."

The overall concept of women in the military - one present day veteran struggling with PTSD, and one Civil War era woman disguising her self as a man to fight
Mary
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I received this book from Edelweiss. It alternates points of view between a current Afghanistan female war veteran and a woman disguised as a man who fought in the Civil War. It is a unique concept which I enjoyed. It highlights the bias that women veterans face even today when they serve their country.
Theresa Smith
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
“I’ve read there were hundreds of women who fought in that war, most of them disguising themselves as men, although it is impossible to know exact numbers since those known were either women who were discovered or outed themselves in newspaper articles or memoirs written after the war. The rest kept their secret hidden or were killed in battle without being discovered. Some bodies have been exhumed and found to be women.”

You know how every so often you can come across a book and it just ticks ev
Tracy
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to read this book since I first saw the cover in Book Page. I was thwarted in that by a move, getting set up with a new library and then waiting for said library to acquire the book. It was well worth the wait.
The book tells the story of Larkin Bennett, a present day veteran who is suffering from PTSD after losing her best friend in Afghanistan, and Emily Wilson, a woman who disguises herself as a man and enlists in the Union Army in 1861. Emily is the ancestor of Sarah, Larkin's b
CindySlowReader#MaskItOrCasket
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
There was a lot of action in this story and it rolled along nicely, easy to read. Maybe a bit too packed with everything happening because I had a little trouble feeling the emotions of the characters in the writing. I should have felt more compassion for the two women and I just didn't. Still very interesting and even educational. The ending was kind of dumb, but the epilogue was cool with short blurbs about the real life civil war women soldiers.
Claudia
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is another historical fiction with two separate stories from two separate times, but parallel and intertwining. Both protagonists are military women. The story addresses the fascinating history of women posing as men to fight in the Civil War, their bravery along side fellow soldiers and their challenges and disparate treatment once discovered, as well as a number of related and important issues, including those still relevant today.
Karen
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Christie Sinclair
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It has two main characters: Emily a woman who fights in the Civil War and Larkin, a modern soldier who has fought in Afghanistan. Both deal with prejudice against women serving in the military and PTSD. I got a little irritated with the women’s bad dreams and feelings of guilt, but then I thought how long it must take to deal with PTSD. Probably lots longer than a couple of chapters!!
Andria Potter
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟 rounded up.

Prepare for review and box of tissues.

Further review:

This tells the story of Emily turned Jesse Wilson, a young woman donning man’s clothing and joining her brother in the war to save her family after her Pa and oldest brother are killed by senech rebels. A girl disguising herself as a man is one of my favorites tropes in fiction, and so I jumped at the chance to read this book. It’s a wonderful story; it alternates between her story and another woman’s tale during the present
Jill Miclean
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Based on the premise of this book, I was sure I'd love it. Civil War history is one of my favorite genres and I read a lot on the subject - both HF & NF. I was also looking forward to a modern story about a women soldier. However, the Civil War portion turned out to be a take on revisionist history and the modern story was hard to connect with.

Lovers of Civil War history are going to have a hard time with Emily's modern views. This should have been a time travel novel and then maybe some of Emil
Erin Duffey
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow this book really surprised me. I'm not a fan military books but this one tackled so many amazing subjects. Read it.
Sharon
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
CW: PTSD, death in combat/war, suicide, Afghanistan war, Civil War

Today We Go Home is a dual time frame historical, that includes narrative about each main character with little actual storyline or plot overlap between the two. Larkin is the modern day MC, an army veteran who has been medically discharged with severe PTSD. She lost her best friend and comrade, Sarah, in an attack, and blames herself. Going through Sarah's things, Larkin discovers a Civil War era diary written by one of Sarah's a
LAPL Reads
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has only been six years since the US military ended its policy of “no women in units that are tasked with direct combat.” And yet, even though it wasn’t officially sanctioned, women have served and fought, in virtually every conflict in which the US has participated. This has been happening since the founding of our country, when Deborah Samson disguised herself as a man so she could fight against the redcoats in the Revolutionary War. During the Civil War, more than 400 women dressed as men ...more
Kathy
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I gained so much insight reading Today we go Home.

The story of two women soldiers, Emily Wilson, who, during the Civil War, fought with the Union Army disguised as a man and Larkin Bennett, a US Army soldier who was deployed to Afghanistan twice.
Emily, an excellent marksman, wanted to join the Union Army from the moment her father and eldest brother joined. Sadly, were both killed fighting for the Union cause. To try to make meaning of their deaths, Emily decided to impersonate a man and join t
sssnoo reads
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved this book, despite some incredulity over some of the substories. I read The Girl Who Wrote in Silk and liked it as well, but Today We Go Home was unique. The story was original, juxtaposing a modern woman veteran and a woman disguising herself as a man to serve in the Civil War. Women soldiers are honored and Today We Go Home goes deep into PTSD as we know it from both wars. I realized while reading the book that it is one of the only, maybe the only? Civil War, or any war themed book au ...more
Jodi
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Today We Go Home is a sad, beautiful, and inspiring novel of two female soldiers' lives, lived and fought centuries apart. In the present day, Captain Larkin Bennett is a traumatized veteran of the war in Afghanistan who was discharged from the Army for mental health reasons. Even in the safety of her grandmother's house, she's haunted by flashbacks and nightmares and turns to alcohol to drown her memories. However, she has the diary of another soldier in her possession.

During the Civil War, Emi

• A Royal Christmas Wish: An enchanting Christmas romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Wildland
  • Remembrance
  • The Last Letter from Juliet
  • Housewitch
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • How the Penguins Saved Veronica
  • Rebel Spy
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Secret Sisters
  • The Herd
Kelli Estes grew up in apple country near Yakima, Washington before attending Arizona State University where she learned she is happiest living near the water. Today she lives near Seattle with her husband and two sons. When not writing, Kelli is hiking, reading, exploring, traveling, or drinking tea.

Find her at www.kelliestes.com or www.facebook.com/KelliEstesAuthor.