Start by marking “America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our National Parks” as Want to Read:
America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our National Parks

America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our National Parks

America's 61 national parks are beloved around the world for their inspiring natural beauty and unmatched diversity. They can also be places to reconnect with God and the sacred. National parks engage our five senses, but engaging a sixth sense, the sense of the holy, will transform your national park experience.

In America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our
Published April 30th 2019 by Chalice Press

To ask other readers questions about America's Holy Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America's Holy Ground

Start your review of America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our National Parks
Robin Tobin (On the back porch reading)
I am going to purchase this book for friends and relatives.
Scott Hardin-Nieri
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up America's Holy Ground: 60 Faithful Reflections on Our National Parks and was immediately drawn to its size and attractive photos. It seems meant to be a beautiful travel companion whether it is taken to work, school, on the road to one of the parks described or tucked in a pack next to rain gear and trail mix to provide sustenance while visiting one of these sacred spaces.

When thumbing through the chapters, I began close to home with the chapter about the Great Smokey Mountains
Carol Dawson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am half way through this insightful book With alarmingly beautiful photographs, I am already completely absorbed in the content. I have visited many of the national parks in the past; however, have never seen them in the spiritual light that has been ignited by reading this book. Not only do I now wish to visit each of the parks mentioned, I will revisit many already seen. In 2009, while visiting 19 of the parks, I felt deeply moved by the beauty of the landscape and the feeling of natural ...more
Cassie Schulenburg
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning photographs blend seamlessly with text that dares you to think deeply and broadly. Each one of the 61 National Parks featured in this book plays host to a theme like wisdom, signs, community, borders, and reconciliation. From there, authors Lyons and Barkhauer pull readers into the soul of the park and dare them to look inside their own.

Each park has clearly been lovingly and painstakingly researched so the reader can experience the history, meaning, and magnitude of each place.
Patricia Scott
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
America's Holy Ground: 61 Faithful Reflections on Our National ParksThis is an amazing book about our beautiful National Parks. The pictures are in vivid color and each story contains historical information tied in with a faith perspective one will be intrigued to read. The writer ends each story with a thought provoking question about God's handiwork. Inspirational and a good read.
Julie Burch
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“America’s Holy Ground” is like taking a personal - and spiritual - tour of our National Parks without leaving your chair. It contains gorgeous photos and captivating descriptions with little nuggets of information about each park. To make the trip even more meaningful, the authors use Scripture and thoughtful questions to connect the magnificent beauty and ruggedness of these sacred places with our own lives. Highly recommend for anyone who has ever visited a National Park - or hopes to!
Cara
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew the theological content and devotionals would be high quality but what I didn’t expect was the full page color photos to accompany each devotional. There is a devotional for each park which makes it an excellent gift for anyone in your life who enjoys traveling to the National Parks. We have a personal goal to make it to every National Park, so this book will be traveling with us this summer and many summers to come.
Jennifer Schooley
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful resource that blends the beauty of our National Parks with a devotional life that seeks to care for and honor God’s creation. It reminds me of the parks I have visited and inspired me to find a way to see them all someday! The pictures are beautiful and the reflections are very meaningful.
Greta
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used this as a daily devotional, and will continue to use it as a resource. I was surprised how many National Parks I hadn't heard of. It combines science, geography, and a Christian perspective of how we should be grateful for these amazing and sacred places.
Robert D. Cornwall
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grew up about an hour south of Crater lake National Park. It is a magnificent sight. I've been in my share of cathedrals and Temples, but nature does have a unique way of declaring the glory of God, its creator. Our National Parks, including Crater Lake, preserve that which reveals God's bounty.

Brad Lyons and Bruce Barkhauer have written a book that invites us to consider the beauty and grandeur that has been preserved for posterity in the nation's National Parks. They take us on a journey
Carol Selby
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
America's Holy Ground was a "natural" fit for me, because I've always found inspiration in nature. The meditations are a thought-provoking addition to my daily devotional time, and the evocative photos testify to the beauty of God's creation. I especially enjoy the entries about our less visited parks; the pages about places such as Congaree, Kobuk Valley, and Wind Cave give me the urge to plan a trip or three.
Amanda

An Unlikely Messiah, a Messy Ministry, and the Call to Mobilize
  • The Future of Feeling: Building Empathy in a Tech-Obsessed World
  • Why You Eat What You Eat: The Science Behind Our Relationship with Food
  • Topics of Conversation
  • The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light
  • The Paragon Hotel
  • The Unlikely Thru-Hiker: An Appalachian Trail Journey
  • Inconspicuous Consumption: The Environmental Impact You Don't Know You Have
  • The Eight Master Lessons of Nature: What Nature Teaches Us about Living Well in the World
  • 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste
  • Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • 50 Shades of the USA: One Woman's 11,000 Mile Cycling Adventure Through Every State of America
  • Other People's Houses
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Paris Seamstress
Brad Lyons is the president and publisher of CBP/Chalice Press. The Oklahoma native and award-winning journalist is the extremely lucky and proud father of three kind, funny, and smart kids and custodian of a goldfish currently named Olive.

Brad graduated from the University of Missouri School of Journalism with an emphasis in magazine editing. His newspaper reporting career took him to daily