Start by marking “Give Me Back My Bones!” as Want to Read:
Give Me Back My Bones!

Give Me Back My Bones!

A silly pirate skeleton seeks to put its bones back together in this rhyming romp beneath the waves.

Cast a spyglass 'round here
while breakers curl and pound here.
There's treasure to be found here --
I feel it in my bones!

A stormy night at sea has uncovered some long-buried secrets and surprises. Is that the mast of a shipwreck? A faded pirate hat? And what's that hiding in
Published July 16th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Give Me Back My Bones!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Me Back My Bones!

Katie Fitzgerald
This is one of the only picture books published this year that I have felt was well-written, well-illustrated and kid-friendly. My five-year-old daughter loved reading the book aloud with me, locating each bone on her own body and learning its proper name. I love that the text doesn't try to find rhymes to match each bone and instead rhymes only the lines that don't mention them. I also think the ending is one of the most satisfying I've seen in a picture book in a long time - the last line is j ...more
Shauna Yusko
3.5
I mean, if you’re teaching body parts and names of bones and want a humorous way to introduce it. Or a science-y “Halloween” read (without being Halloween).

Cute art. And the inside of the book jacket is a poster.

But it just hit me weird that it was a skeleton at the bottom of the sea that was being put back together. Yes, I read entirely too much into this one.
Ana Marlatt
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Funny, creative and useful in so many ways! Great for a human body unit. Great for modeling wonderful rhymes. Very clever use of language. This book will delight young and old alike.
Becky
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hilarious read about a skeleton whose bones are scattered all over the ocean! The best part is they use the actual names for the bones - so he might be looking for his mandible. Excellent way to introduce new vocabulary! And it's a fun read as well.
Sabrina
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5..

I wanted to give this book a 4 but I couldn't do it. I am not sure why because the illustrations where great and the story was cute. But 3.5 is still not too bad!
Eve Costarelli
Really fun, quirky rhyming book with a solid description of anatomy of the skeleton, that is perfect for the budding scientist. It brings new words and a deeper understanding of the skeletal body in a fun, non-scary way. The book is very clever and step-by-step reconstructs a pirate skeleton all the while imparting scientific knowledge and answering questions like “what is inside me?” and “what do these body parts do?” This is a great first book of anatomy for teachers scientists, doctors, yoga ...more
Diane
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My middle granddaughter, age 5, likes books that are a bit creepy, so I was pretty sure this one might be a hit. The timing is perfect for Halloween and yes, "she loved it" as well.

A stormy night, a shipwreck, a pirate skeleton and scattered bones along the ocean floor but, who do these bones belong to? Well, it seems it's the pirate that is missing his bones. Can this poor pirate recover his missing bones?

A fun, quirky and educational story told mostly in rhyme except that the last line on each
Jana
Young readers will have a fun time practicing their pirate voices and learning about the different bones of the human body with this clever picture book. A pirate ghost's skeleton has been scattered across the ocean floor by a storm and with rollicking, rhyming text reader's are implored to help the pirate collect his bones. This would be a good book to have in a collection of Halloween books. It also might be a great mentor text for young writers trying to think of fun rhymes to describe a heal ...more
Skylis
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, picture-book
Very fun, playful language and some tongue twisters in the poem lines. Has bones. All the fish look weirded out by the skeleton and have very blank faces. The illustrations look good and have a mostly clean style with some texture, and simple lines. The illustrations are appropriately not too bright, which adds well to communicating that the setting is deep under the ocean.
10/10 for myself as an adult reader. Will read again.
Janet
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun lyrical way to learn the real names of the various basic bones of your skeleton told by a long deceased pirate buried at sea becoming a skeleton. Each double page spread features only four lines,three of each end in the same repeated word, but also ones leans the basic function and location of the bone.
Very creative learning title,would be useful for children in the early primary years as well as preschoolers.
Loved it.
Gabrielle Stoller
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So who doesn't want to do a storytime in a pirate voice? I sure did. Holy crap I did. I also loved a book where kiddos learned the scientific name for body parts. (Like breast bone is sternum, etc.) It did not translate in my storytime as well as I had hoped......mostly because I had a way younger audience than I had intended.

Angie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My Review: One final pirate Children's book for this year's Arrg-ust and this had to be it! This was a fun little picture book, with silly rhymes all about bones as the old pirate pulls his bones back together for another sea faring adventure. I loved this illustration style, it really lightened what could have been a scary book for some readers and make it quirky and fun.
Leah
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Great rhythm and vocabulary-building skeleton-related words. I'd like to try this one out for school aged kids with an interest in science (and pirates, of course!), otherwise mandible, clavicle, sternum, and the like might be a bit over their heads.
Ana Gutierrez
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So adorable and rhymy! It flows really well and could almost replace the bone song especially since it uses proper terminology rather than just "leg bone" or "back bone". Wonderfully illustrated and colorful, too!
Marcie
Teachers are going to love this because of both the easy read aloud to practice the names of the bones and the book jacket that turns into a poster. This could also be fun for wee ones on Talk Like Pirate Day.
Mrs. Mazzola
Verse story about a poor skeleton trying to reassemble himself. I like that it uses scientific vocabulary for the body parts, and I think kids will enjoy pointing out where the bones are on each page, but the rhymes were a little like tongue-twisters, which can be hard to read aloud successfully.
Amanda
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Non-annoying rhyming, pirates, and a fun way to learn about your bones! Arrr!
Jenn Swanson
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great way to introduce names of bones to kids.
Rebecca Ann
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This creep-tastic read is perfect for pirate themes, bones of the body, or Halloween. I would use with K-2nd.
Rebecca Gomez
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This books is a lot of fun to read. If you like pirates and skeletons, you can't go wrong with this one.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very creative picture book that teaches the names of many bones in your body. This would make a great read aloud for elementary children learning about their skeletal structure.
KDV
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
BRILLIANT rhymes. From here forward I will think of my skull as my "pillowed-on-the-bed bone" and my collar bone the "way-down-where-I swaller bone." Great book that demands repeat readings.
Syntha Green
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great way to introduce the names of bones to kids
Monica Silva
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omar-jr
My son liked all the animals.
Brindi Michele
What a fun and creative way to look at the skeleton and to learn bone vocabulary.
Kelly
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the silliness of the story and the cadence of the rhyme.
Anthony
A stormy night has rattled and scattered the bones of a skeleton, and now using a rhyming rhythm he seeks help from the undersea creatures to help him find them, so he can be together again.
Y.Poston
Adorable & I love the made-upness
of it all! Rhythmic & fun!
Gorgeous pictures!
Rainey
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute delight. I read this to a friend and it was a PERFECT read aloud!
Wendy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved how the rhymes included the scientific term for each of the bones! Very clever and fun.
Kim Norman is the author of more than a dozen children’s books published by Sterling, Scholastic and two Penguin imprints. Titles include Ten on the Sled, (Sterling) which spent weeks on Barnes and Noble’s Top Ten bestseller list and has been released in Korean and German editions as well as appearing in Scholastic Book Fairs in schools around North America. I Know a Wee Piggy, was reviewed in the ...more